PDA

View Full Version : Army building software for PDAs

Psychor
24-06-2005, 17:44
Hey,

I am trying to collect some information, via two polls I have created on my forum, as to the level fo interest in PDA army building software. While I have already created software to do this for the Palm OS (Pocket Forge), the code for Pocket Forge could use some updating and before I start down that path I want to see if it is worth investing the time.

I would greatly appreciate everyone's input. The links below will take you the forum poll on my website. You will need to register to reply. I thought about posting the polls on Portent, but I don't want to spam this forum with what might be taken as an advertisement. ;)

Thanks!

Poll1: http://forge.thedigitalfoundry.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=27
Poll2: http://forge.thedigitalfoundry.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=28

thecuckoo
24-06-2005, 19:09
I have coded an army selection utility using HTML and javascript, so it runs in a IE browser window. This way (pretty much, anyway) its platform independant. Have you had a think about that approach ?

Psychor
24-06-2005, 22:12
I have coded an army selection utility using HTML and javascript, so it runs in a IE browser window. This way (pretty much, anyway) its platform independant. Have you had a think about that approach ?

I have, but accessing a web-based army builder with a Palm or PPC would not only require the user to have Internet access, but I would image it would be a formatting nightmare to visually display it in an organizied manner on such a small screen.

I wouldn't mind checking out your site though. Could you PM me the address?

Thanks.

Sashu
25-06-2005, 00:06
He has it in a means that can be downloaded, not ontly web baised... so internet wouldn't be a problem. Formating it to be visable....

But it might be nice if he were to put it on the web so that others could download it...

Or just PM it to me... please.

glimli
25-06-2005, 07:46
afaik know army builder can be used on some pdas. if you ca having it work on pdas and pc/laptops would give you a bigger potential market.

i think lots of people would love to be able to do a lsit on their pc, then transfer via blue tooth infrared usb etc. and then have it on thier pda at a club or whatever. or if you see a cool list somewhere you could enter it into your pda then transfer it to your computer when you get home fpr printing.

i know i for one dont like takin g alaptop to a club or gw, its too easy to pinchwhe your bakcs turned. but if i ever got a pda then id take it for sure as it can jsut sit happily in your poket.

thecuckoo
28-06-2005, 10:35
@Psychor: The pages are not published on the web. GW would rip off my head and poo down my neck if I tried. They are stored locally so you can use and view them without using the internet at all. I just wondered if you had considered a similar approach. About five years ago, to teach myself Java programming, I wrote a stand-alone windows application in J++ that allowed you to choose army lists. That was far more sophisticated than the browser version, but the browser version is much easier to write! Swings and roundabouts, I guess!

Formatting isn't a problem on a PC screen, of course, but I take your point that formatting for a PDA might be a problem. That said, my mobile phone copes pretty well with web browsing and the like.

Psychor
28-06-2005, 19:11
@Psychor: The pages are not published on the web. GW would rip off my head and poo down my neck if I tried. They are stored locally so you can use and view them without using the internet at all. I just wondered if you had considered a similar approach. About five years ago, to teach myself Java programming, I wrote a stand-alone windows application in J++ that allowed you to choose army lists. That was far more sophisticated than the browser version, but the browser version is much easier to write! Swings and roundabouts, I guess!

Formatting isn't a problem on a PC screen, of course, but I take your point that formatting for a PDA might be a problem. That said, my mobile phone copes pretty well with web browsing and the like.

Recently I downloaded a copy NetBeans and the Java SDK to see about making a Java version of The Forge. Ideally I would like to see people able to run The Forge, etc. on any OS. However, to start over from scratch under a new SDK would just take too much time and time something I don't have much of right now. :eyebrows:

In regards to formatting I simply meant designing a good GUI for a desktop machine is hard enough, but to design that GUI to scale properly and efficiently to a PDA screen without separate code or a complete redesign of the GUI is quite an undertaking. I know, for example, on my Treo 650 while you can view a website and have the site displayed as if you were using a desktop monitor navigation can be a nightmare. If you then chose to let the device resize it to get around the navigation issue you are left with a visual mess. :eek: That is one reason why I went ahead and wrote a separate program to handle that - Pocket Forge.

I would still like to hear more about your program. Perhaps we can chat via PM.

lloyde
30-06-2005, 08:07
Software for the PDA!! Oh man, there's no where i can be without it now muahahaha!!

lloyde
Warhammer Fantasy & 40k (http://www.leadership10.com)