PDA

View Full Version : Capitol Imperialis Proyect

Gonfrask
14-09-2006, 11:47
Well, after made an Imperial Cathedral i think this should be not to dificult, i will upload the photos while i work in this idea.

Rich 123
14-09-2006, 13:02
Well it basically is an Imperial Cathedral just with catepillar tracks ;)

Don't you have any sketches or anything to whet or appetites and hype us up for the eventual pictures of the thing. This would be a massive construction though if it was to scale then it would be huge.

I've been interested to see one of these in scale with 40k for a long time :)
Good luck!
Dicky

Gonfrask
14-09-2006, 14:28
Yeah, i have a few sketchs, but i have to scan them first...the size, well perhaps no too big, first of all is that it will be a trapezium (yess) because the old epic model dont like me, and I think that it must be more like a bunker mobile. The bottom would be 24 inches and the top 16, about 15,6 inches high.
The behemoth cannon...well this is a problem, because if obbey the background of the weapon it must have 8 inches of diameter (o even bigger, "4 lemans russ fit it" said Graham in Warrior of Ultramar) but perhaps i will do it only 4 inches.
Well, i will see if tomorrow I upload the sketchs...one problem...they are in spanish :P

Col.Gravis
14-09-2006, 15:24
Was'nt that a Leviathen as opposed to a Capitol Imperialis in Warriors of Ultramar? If thats correct then by all accounts the CI should be bigger surely?

Gonfrask
14-09-2006, 22:41
Octavius Rabelaq used a Capitol Imperialis, the Leviathen are bigger, because the capitol is only an headquarter vehicle and the leviathen is also an apc, anyway...I want have something I can move XD

P.D: Bunker "mobile"? what the hell was I thinking?¿?

Rictus
14-09-2006, 22:57
It is the other way round. The Leviathan is a large command vehicle used by the Imperial Guard, while the Capital Imperialis is an even bigger vehicle used to transport large numbers of infantry and vehicles (including Super Heavy Tanks). The Leviathan has a large weapon at the front while the Capital Imp has a ramp front & rear to allow the transport to get out. The Imperialis is much bigger than the Leviathan.

Leviathan picture here. (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92414epicimpwarmachines-02.htm)
Imperialis here. (http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2125epiccapitalimp-m.htm)

Hope this helps.

Gonfrask
14-09-2006, 23:18
Yeah, i have seen these pictures, but i don´t like that capitol imperialis, anyway...the leviathan can transport troops, read the Eye of Terror Codex and you will see that the Volskanes disembark from leviathans transports.
I like more the idea show in Warrios of Ultramar, an huge command vehicle, armed only with a super heavy cannon and defensive bolters, and well, he doesn´t say if also can transport troops.

Col.Gravis
14-09-2006, 23:26
Well its of course your 40k Universe but thats not the actual representation, the Leviathen can transport troops (as indeed the Volscani and Cadian vehicles do in EoT) it also acts as a command vehicle as in Ghost Maker. The CI even more it is litterally just an upscaled Leviathen I've heard reference of it being able to transport an company of Leman Russ something a Leviathen cant do, just get hold of the old rules for the thing from early Epic.

Puffin Magician
14-09-2006, 23:26
The Capitol Imperialis is much larger than a Leviathan, although most modern fluff screws up both their dimensions with the "rule of kewl!".

A Leviathan is about as tall as a Warhound Titan and nearly twice as long as it is tall [~30cm x 55cm], whereas a Capitol Imperialis is about as tall as a Reaver Titan and over twice as long [~40cm x 100cm].

The CI operates as a Regimental Command Landship because it's big enough to do so as well as transport over 2 whole companies of infantry or vehicles, or a mix of both.

As for armament, the CI has the Behemoth Cannon, as well as 8 defence turrets [each with a Linked Heavy Bolter and Lascannon or Plasma Cannon].

Gonfrask
14-09-2006, 23:38
Well guys, then this is not a Capitol imperialis, this is a Leviathan...ok, no problem, the idea is make a vehicle really big just for funn, and well in the biggest games can also be used.

Mmmmm, as I have said before, this idea came after I read Warriors of Ultramar, and in this novel, the Capitol doesn´t look so big...damn :P

ml2sjw
15-09-2006, 00:02
There is a picture of what i assume to be a levaithan or a CI on page 13-14 of codex which hunters, also on this very site we have the gw concept sketches at the bottom of the page

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40888

Gonfrask
15-09-2006, 00:19
Uh, I don´t know this one, thank you. But well, i think this is overelaborate, perhaps is perfect for the sister of battle, but the Imperial Guard use to be more spartan...

Well, i don´t think this post works, but i see that the idea likes, fine XD

Puffin Magician
15-09-2006, 01:18
The thing in the WH Codex is not a vehicle that has appeared in any game rules, so is neither a Leviathan or Capitol Imperialis.

It's just some insanely massive mobile chapel/fortress used by the Ecclesiarchy and/or Inquisition.

the overlord
15-09-2006, 08:51
Well I really do like the look of it and as such am very tempted to build one of these mobile cathedrals to use as an army transport for my Witchhunters. All I need to do is to search for a little freetime in my agenda.

Greets Elise

malika
15-09-2006, 13:45
Look what I found:

http://www.mustangsalling.dk/workbench/CI.gif

Rictus
16-09-2006, 00:06
Yeah, i have seen these pictures, but i dont like that capitol imperialis, anyway...the leviathan can transport troops, read the Eye of Terror Codex and you will see that the Volskanes disembark from leviathans transports.
I like more the idea show in Warrios of Ultramar, an huge command vehicle, armed only with a super heavy cannon and defensive bolters, and well, he doesnt say if also can transport troops.

I didn't mean to suggest that the Leviathan didn't transport troops, I know it has a large transport capacity, just that it's primary role is one of command while the CI is far larger with a greater transport capacity.

With the size of the weapon on the Leviathan I have always wondered how much space there could be inside. The machinery required to load and fire the weapon, not to mention the ammo storage, must take up a large amount of space. It looks cool though.

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I have always fancied having a Leviathan to lead my IG so I am eager to see how you do it. Even starting such a large project deserves respect. Wouldn't mind seeing a CI in 40k scale either.

Easy E
16-09-2006, 02:59
I recommend you use some bitz from the CoD sprues to gothic it up a bit. Epic super-heavies will be much more detailed when you scale them up to 40k scale. The smaller figures will only give you a general shape and key componenets to work with.

no-use4a-name
16-09-2006, 05:15
I recommend you use some bitz from the CoD sprues to gothic it up a bit. Epic super-heavies will be much more detailed when you scale them up to 40k scale. The smaller figures will only give you a general shape and key componenets to work with.

That's a good idea. Also, the stability offered by using the CoD sprues will help you out in the build.

16-09-2006, 17:32
i just remembered their was a Leviathan in the old pc game epic final liberation.

at least i think their was i have the disk some where ill have to check.

if so i'll take some pictures.

Gonfrask
17-09-2006, 19:22
Well men, thanks for your post, sorry for don´t upload the sketches but i´m going to be this week in the beach and i didn´t have time, we will continie this post when i return.

Any way...i´m thinking that i will make the capitol imperialis model XXX, just a command vehicle...i will change also the name perhaps.

See you men

Gonfrask
26-09-2006, 10:26
Well men, Im back and here are my sketchs. These are my original ideas:

* The First Idea
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/Capitol1.jpg

* Caterpillar track
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/Orugas.jpg

* Inside
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/Capitol2.jpg

Gonfrask
26-09-2006, 10:29
And well, i did these ones in the beach ("yes der, just gimme a minute...")

* Outside, opstions
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/Exterioropciones.jpg

* Caterpillar track, options
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/BaseyOrugas.jpg

* The short range bolters
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/Boltersdedefensa.jpg
(bolter pesado = heavy bolter)

* The top
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/Techo.jpg

old guard
27-09-2006, 14:40
Inspired as I was by your original post and that command vehicle shown towards the start of the COD book, I stared playing around with a couple of ideas and these ukltimately became this.

mounted on four MK 1 rhino track assemblies and using components from all 3 of the COD buildings, notably The double door for the rear (using the eagle double door as a ramp) the skull pannel from the administratum on the side and some of the adeptus mechanicus ones notably as a void shield generator toeards the front of the vehicle.

Approximate size? about a foot long abd a third of a foot wide.

Its only a concept at the minute but I am tempted.

feel free to rob, steal, borrow to your hearts content

Dspankdo
27-09-2006, 14:50
I would steal your idea but unfortunately I have no money. Cool though very cool.

old guard
27-09-2006, 15:00
I would steal your idea but unfortunately I have no money. Cool though very cool.

What a really poor excuse;) when did a silly thing lke money ever stop a hoobyist from fulfilling a desperate need for a reeally BIG tank......(suddenly realises what he's just said...:rolleyes:)

Gonfrask
28-09-2006, 23:58
Well i have in my hand, His Last Comand, of Dan Abnett...well he says that a Leviathan is like a little town...jeje...then i bigger than a Capitol, isnt it? (hawhaw)

Well, im glad i inspired you...very soon, me and a friend will start with the hard work...so, very soon...the idea becomes miniature XD

Yarick Zan
29-09-2006, 00:09
i like this and will watch your progress with an eye. just as soon as i grow more than 2.

captaincortez
29-09-2006, 01:27
This pic is pretty old. I have seen the model in person and it is huge.

Yarick Zan
29-09-2006, 01:47
now the main cannon on that thing (i assume it uses a bombard template) is in my opinion WAY to large for that model. infact what the hell would it use as amunition? if its basicly a BFL (a big ********** laser) then what the hell powers it? and if its a shell based weapon where does it keep the ammo? its too large of a weapon for me. if its that big it would have to be naval grade (meaning big enough to mount on a ship) but it doesnt look like its on a ship.

Scorpio
29-09-2006, 02:30
I very much agree with you yarick...That battle looks alittle onesided.
I think this vehicle sounds very cool and i would love to see it done. But that one in the pic just doesnt do it for me...Its too big if ask me i mean look at those 2 baneblades in comparison and those things are supposed to be super heavy tanks...

-Scorpio

asmodai_dark86
29-09-2006, 02:51
Old guard - you know, kit bashing isnt my thing, and my building abilities... well lets say there limited, but that sketch.. hmmm..

Its got me more interested then my necron super heavy phase I must say

precinctomega
29-09-2006, 06:04
Surprised no one's posted this already:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2125epiccapitalimp-01.jpg

The original and the best... Good luck with this.

R.

old guard
29-09-2006, 06:13
Old guard - you know, kit bashing isnt my thing, and my building abilities... well lets say there limited, but that sketch.. hmmm..

Its got me more interested then my necron super heavy phase I must say

Go on ...succumb to the call of the big armour. the steel (plastic but just imagine) the diesel (Glue so don't inhale please) the grease (Hmmm.... OK lets leave that!)

paspinall
29-09-2006, 07:30
Scorpio.. I dont know what you mean, sure the tank is a super heavy, a capitol IS supposed to be bigger, though the cannon looks too large, I mean the destruction of one (which have their own plasma reactors like titans) too out a Tyranid bio titan.

The Hoff
29-09-2006, 08:48
The Epic Capitol really is old school, I think you would be better off using the sketches from the concept art thread, they had a much more up to date Imperial Gothic look.

This is a project I have occasionally considered myself, but there are two main sticking points I come to each time
1) What to use for the chassis/tracks. 1/35 scale kits are too detailed to fit with such a simplistic superstructure, and scratchbuilding tracks would be incredibly tedious, let alone tricky.
2) What materials to use. Plasticard would be the obvious choice for durability and workability, but it is pricy in such quantities. Foamcore would also work for the basic structure, but could be prone to damage. The other material I considered is MDF, harder to work with, but far more durable than foamcore. I guess the way to do it would be to jigsaw the basic shape from MDF, and then add panel detail with plasticard.

What are your thoughts on these two issues?

My thought, and someone else mentioned this before me, was to use the new building kits for some panels areas, as well as adding 'bling' to the superstructure. Those sprues would really help to give it the mobile cathederal look that it has in artwork (I am inclined to belive that the illustration from the Witchhunters codex does depict a Capitol).

EDIT: The other thing that could look cool is stained glass windows. There was a tutorial somewhere about printing designs onto translucent overhead sheets.

Easy E
29-09-2006, 21:17
Anytime you are up sizing an epic vehicle to 40K scale, you have to remeber that the detail on the Epic model is basic. In 40K scale you are going to have to use alot of imagination to make it look detailed enough to fit in with the rest of the troops.

Once you detail the vehicle to 40K levels, then the 1/35th scale tracks will fit right in.

As for the construction, I feel MDF would be the best way to create the basic hull shape. The use plasticard, cardstock, and bitz from there. A liberal use of the Cod sprues to detail the sidewalls and create the side pillboxes would go a long way. Lot's of access hatches, rivets, struts, ladders, re-inforcing bars, hydralics, plates, grates, badges, seals, candles, statues, stattuettes, banners, crests, etc. The basic hull would be the easy part.

It would be rather cool to make it open up and be a miniature transport case as well as a vehicle. You open the wall on the side, and it's full of bins like a toolbox you can slide in and out to store figures.

That, or motorize, LED, and equip it with sound effects. One of those RC tank kits would be a nice base, and the tall hull would provide plenty of room for the other electronics.

Mind you I lack the skill, vision, money, and time for such a project... but I would love to see it done.

Puffin Magician
29-09-2006, 21:27
This pic is pretty old. I have seen the model in person and it is huge.
Is it a Leviathan? It looks like one and is about the right size - a Capital Imperialis would be twice as high and nearly 4 times as long. Too bad it's based on the ***** Epic model. *wretch*

His Last Comand, by Dan Abnett...well he says that a Leviathan is like a little townAnd that's why those novels are utter crap for anything other than amusement.

Approximate size? About a 12" and a 4" wide.That's it? That's a reasonable length for the Leviathan but it's too narrow - like driving a shoebox on it's side. Hope it's not windy!

Surprised no one's posted this already:Because everyone knows what it looks like and it's ugly. That's why we're designing a new one.

Mind you I lack the skill, vision, money, and time for such a project...If you can build an army of tanks out of paper, you can build them a paper Regimental HQ. No excuse!

The Hoff
29-09-2006, 23:29
And that's why those novels are utter crap for anything other than amusement.

Even for amusment they are of dubious value, I tend to find he simply irritates or infuriates with his ineptitude. A skilled and experienced author who is willing to delve into the 40k background could sell alot of books, because there must be a lot of older gamers out there who crave something with more substance and granduer than Abnett's (and co.) childish offerings.

But back on topic,

That's it? That's a reasonable length for the Leviathan but it's too narrow - like driving a shoebox on it's side.

As I imagined it, 12x4 is a bit on the small side not only width ways, but length ways too. I thought that even the Leviathan was meant to be fairly collosal.

My rough dimesions (in my head that is) were something along the lines of 25 inches long x 10 wide, and roughly 12 high. This gives room for some serious transport capacity, as well as armament and ammo storage.

At this length the thing is only really usable in mega-battles, or as a terrain peice, but either way its still an impressivev peice if done well.

Puffin Magician
30-09-2006, 00:43
My rough dimesions were something along the lines of 25 inches long x 10 wide, and roughly 12 high. This gives room for some serious transport capacity, as well as armament and ammo storage.That's... quite hefty. Certainly big enough to do everything it says, but larger than what I'd figured: 14" long × 9" wide × 8" high. It's a bit of a squeeze with all the ammo, guns and troops - but there's still plenty of space for a hundred little buggers with a much better volume ratio than there is in the Rhino, Chimera or Land Raider - not to mention Thunderhawk Gunship.

Now, imagine a 14" × 9" model next to a Leman Russ, and that's what the Capitol Imperalis does to a Leviathan. It is truly massive, I gather 40" long × 18" wide × 16" high. It would be larger than a television set.

asmodai_dark86
30-09-2006, 01:36
The thing is though, you have to think of it in terms of practicality and then in terms of propaganda (someone talked awhile back about the primarchs not being that different, but as the years have gone on there legends have grew - not my opinion but an interesting one).

Therefore couldnt a capitol imperialis, if its simply a moving cathedral, be the size of say... thee baneblades deep by two wide, with vid screens on the side to preech to the unwashed masses that cant fit in whilst a suitably large cathedral is being built.

I dunno seems like a silly thing to build using the scales suggested, but one based on those concepts using a combination of COD buildings, SoB plastic bits, and cunning would look pretty cool

- Old guard, I'm waiting till I find a decent skull and then having ago at the harvester (And now I cant find the concept picture, fantastic - basically giant skull with a long body designed for munching slaves by the looks of it)

Gonfrask
24-10-2006, 09:17
Well, late but i have returned, in this time i have "harvested" the materials I will need. But im sure you want to see what i have done

* The Basic Structure, finaly im going to do the model A because i love the idea of a huge bunker-tank. The top is "only" 14,8x14,8 inches.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/S4020005.jpg

I cut the sides in 45 so it fits perfectly
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/S4020004.jpg

And well, as you can se, the material is an old poster form a shop closed months ago (i wait so long because i dont know if they would remove it)
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/S4020003.jpg

Gonfrask
24-10-2006, 09:17
* The canon: Ey dont worry it wont be so long XD
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/S4020001.jpg

But it is enough big :P
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/S4020002.jpg

sanctusmortis
24-10-2006, 12:22
*jawdrop* that's, erm, big. Yes.

Galvatron
04-11-2006, 06:26
I know this thread's last post is 10 days old, but I have a picture on my computer from a LONG time ago with a "40k" scale Capitol Imperialis at a GW store. Although I would have to say that the CI in this picture would be closer to a leviathan in 40k scale. The CI is massive.

BTW, yes, the CI is a bit plain, and I prefer the Leviathan. The german guy who did all of those lovely "Taipan" tanks drew up a side profile view of a Leviathan. I've attached that picture as well. Look closely and you'll see that the tracks look like chimera tracks. So if you count each of those as the length of a chimera, I would say that this vehicle is the "proper" size.

Hope it helps.

Gonfrask
09-11-2006, 22:19
Well, nowadays i have no much time, so im not working to much in this project now, the last update:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/Gonfrask/S4020001-1.jpg

Binky
11-11-2006, 11:14
Have found myself toying with the idea of making a Capitol Imperialis, based quite heavily on the original Epic one posted earlier, but obviously a bit "gothiced up" and more detailed.

Would make a nice centrepiece for the Krieg army I'm working on and would be useful for those times when a Gorgon just isn't big enough!

Agree with the earlier poster that it should probably be about 2 foot long, about a foot wide and about 18" tall, based on the size I remember the Epic one being compared to other tanks.

Couple of ideas I had were an arched walkway embedded all the way round the sides, with gun emplacemnts along it, similar in style to the heavy stubber turrets on the back of the FW Gorgon. Would allow infantry to fire from there with some heavy backup.

Also considered interior detail, with the front ramp opening to reveal an area for troops and the rear ramp containing vehicles, probably Chimera's, along the sides, reckon could fit three end to end either side with space between for maintenance, then a second set on raised platforms above them, so first six drive out, the ramps lower, out come the next six. This area would also contain various maintenance equipment servitors etc.

Above the vehicle bay I would assume there would be the various crew quarters etc. though wouldn't bother modelling those! Then some sort of rounded control room, towards the top at the front.

As for tracks, one idea that crossed my mind was making a link and casting multiples, could probably get away with a single sided mould and then just need to model wheels etc.

Of course, it would be a pretty huge project so when I'll actually get round to it I don't know, plus getting enough Death Korps models to actually make it a worthwhile transport would be a bit pricey, but the idea keeps popping up!