PDA

View Full Version : Nuln & Elector Countess Emmanuelle von Liebewit

Voltaire
15-09-2006, 18:57
Hi everyone,

In anticipation of December & the new Empire book I am looking into doing an army based around Nuln and Emmanuelle von Liebewit. I do not know anything about this strange anomaly in the Empire chauvanist society. Can anyone help me out with some info about this seemingly powerful woman please.

Thanks!

Gen.Steiner
15-09-2006, 19:52
Actually, she's not alone. Wissenland is also currently run by an Elector Countess, and during the period of the Three Emperors (IIRC) one of the candidates was Magritta of Marienburg. At a lower level, while state armies tend to be made up of men, there are quite a few female adventurer types - lots of assassins and bounty hunters appear to be women according to thing like Tales From the Ten-Tailed Cat.

Don't forget, too, that there's the Sisters of Sigmar...

As for the Countess of Nuln, I have little info. Imperial society isn't as chauvinistic as it might be, although in comparison with 21st Century Earth it is rather MCP-ish. Which is to be expected - it's Renaissance Europe, after all! :)

Voltaire
15-09-2006, 20:01
The Countess of Wissenland is the Countess of Nuln

Gen.Steiner
15-09-2006, 20:07
:wtf: Really? Since when!? I thought Nuln was a city-state, not part of any of the big states within the Empire...

Voltaire
15-09-2006, 20:13
Just been reading up on it.

Wissenland is contrasted between the dour and hardy people of the countryside and the expressive city-dwellers of the great city of Nuln, former Imperial capital and persistent centre of learning in the arts and sciences. The wealth and power of Nuln paid for the much of the reconstruction of the war-torn Empire. Grand Countess Emmanuelle von Liebewitz of Nuln exercised her own form of justice and took over the rule of Wissenland from her errant vassal, Count Bruno Pfeifraucher in 2514. Later, she annexed the province of Sudenland and its rich wool trade. Even with all this manoeuvring, von Liebewitz retained her rule over the Freistadt of Nuln.

Hapimeses
15-09-2006, 20:16
Imperial society isn't as chauvinistic as it might be

What must be remembered is that the Old World is polytheistic, and many of the Gods worshipped are distinctly feminine. Because of this, the Empire, and many of its surrounding nations, are not as chauvinistic as most believe. In this matter, it is a poor analogue of Renaissance Europe, which was instead influenced by a male-dominated, monotheistic religion. Women in the Empire can, and often do, hold positions of power. There are many, many examples of this. However, if anyone wants details, or wants to discuss this, a seperate thread would be better rather than derailing this one.

:)

As for Emmanuelle and Nuln, I'll leave it to others to answer about her. However, for any army themed on Nuln, I would recommend securing a copy of Forges of Nuln (http://www.blackindustries.com/default.asp?template=productinfo&range=wfrp&product=60040283012) for WFRP, for obvious reasons. I would also suggest looking up the WFRP Companion (http://www.blackindustries.com/default.asp?template=productinfo&range=wfrp&product=60040283018) when it is released, as it details the Imperial Gunnery School in Nuln.

Voltaire
15-09-2006, 20:34
Anyone able to help?

Forces Unknown
15-09-2006, 21:04
I was going to collect an Empire army from Nuln at one point and the only models I got done were two Great Cannons and Countess Emmanuelle von Liebewitz on horseback. I found this information after a short Google search...

Nuln: The second largest city in the Empire, Nuln forms the trading hub of the southlands, where merchants and artisans from Wissenland, Stirland, Averland and further east to Ostermark and the Moot gather to trade wares and make their coin. North of the city, the Reik is too wide to bridge, and Nuln provides a natural meeting point, as well the only bridge across the Reik. Altdorf may have many bridges, but none of them truly crosses the Reik, only channels, so Nuln has the distinction of the only single-span across the Imperial river.

This is not Nuln's only draw, the city has a well-known University, founded by the Empress Agnetha, whose reputation still draws scholars from away from Altdorf. Appropriately, one of the city's most impressive buildings is the Temple to Verena, Goddess of Learning, which dominates Westway with its imposing collonade.

Nuln is also the location of the Imperial School of Gunnery, where many outlandish designs of seige weapon are tested and forged, and the Empire's finest artillerists are trained. Nuln's standing army benefits from the largest and best-trained corp of cannoneers in the Empire, who are justly feared by Nuln's enemies.

Currently, Nuln is ruled by the Countess Emmanuelle von Liebewitz, noted for her great beauty, lavish parties, extravagant tastes, many suitors and fearsome brother, Leopold.

CommanderCax
15-09-2006, 23:17
Nuln has been an independent city-state and has also served as the provincial capital. It even served as the capital of the Empire. There are claims the city was part of Reikland, Stirland and Averland as well as being part of Wissenland.

Originally the county of Wissenland (plus the remains of Solland since Gorbad Ironclaw) was attached to the city-state Nuln and thereby ruled by the Count of Nuln. Some even described it as little more than an administrative sub-division of the city-state Nuln.
Nowadays it is more or less vice versa and the city-state Nuln, technically free of Wissenland, owes allegiance to its Elector Count, since it drifted back into its control after the scandal surrounding the succession of Marienburg led to the deposition of Emperor Dieter IV. Pfeildorf has been the capital of Wissenland whenever Nuln was not.

The current Elector Count is indeed Emanuelle von Liebewitz and has been through as long as I can remember (till 3rd edition). Some say she seduced Karl-Franz to gain the seat of Elector Count to which she had not such a good claim to originally. She is currenlty negotiating with the Emperor to completely seperate Nuln from Wissenland. She would retain Nuln and her electoral vote, whilst the province would be given to the Toppenheimer family, which would also receive an electoral vote.

Furthermore she is secretly in league with the Todbringer family and seem to have good contacts to Talabheim.

Krusk
15-09-2006, 23:46
On the whole Chauvinistic angle, while there are female deities that are powerful, like Myrmedia( possibly mispelled on my part ), the two really popular gods in the Empire are Sigmar, and Ulric. Women might get more respect, but it can only go so far with the major religions being so well, manly.

Minister
16-09-2006, 01:36
SHallya is also rather popular, particularly with the comon folk, wiereas Ulric is mostly restricted to the northern regions. You only need to wory about Manann when you want to make sure that the grain shipment went south safley, but you give thanks to Shallya every time you think back to your firstborn's rather dificult birth...

The number of female assassins, rogues and the like would, I think, be due to the lack of any spaces in the Imperial army for those women with a talent for breaking bones and spilling blood. Lack of any decent oportunities would give increased numbers of what RPGs know as adventurers.

Krusk
16-09-2006, 03:49
Aye, but only with the common folk, who have no power. And while domestic things are certainly important, that's not going to make the clergy of Shayla politically powerful either. Traditionally at least, the Empire was feudal, with nobles being distinctly millitary and all. In this kind of a system, men are going to be the leaders in most cases. With the Empire as it is now though, Noblewomen have a real chance to be powerful, and shake things up, like the Countess of Nuln. My view on Women in the Empire is although they might have more rights, and a better image than in Caitholic Europe, only recently have they been able to really get into politics.

Griefbringer
16-09-2006, 06:06
As for building an army based around Nuln, as far as I know elector countess herself is not very likely to be found leading it - she is not exactly a military sorts of a person.

For some related reading, may I recommend Skavenslayer and Beasts in the Velvet (the former is set in Nuln, the later in Altdorf but features prominent Nuln personalities).

RobC
16-09-2006, 09:12
Please do not use the countess in your army, if you want it to remain true to the background. She is NOT a soldier or a general. In fact, she spends most of her time throwing lavish parties and generally frittering away the province's money.

Voltaire
16-09-2006, 10:27
So realistically there is no point to here having the Wissenland Runefang?

Hapimeses
16-09-2006, 11:59
So realistically there is no point to here having the Wissenland Runefang?
The Runefangs are more than just weapons of war, they are symbols of Imperial Authority. So, yes, there is a good reason for her to have the Runefang, just not one based upon her wielding it as a weapon, which would not be in her character in the slightest.

As for the chauvinism: as I said, I'll happily argue this out in another thread if anyone is that concerned about the issue.

:)

Voltaire
16-09-2006, 12:11
Thanks for your help there Hapimeses. You don't happen to know if she has someone who will go to war in her name do you? That person may become my commander for the army of Nuln.

ryng_sting
16-09-2006, 15:03
Emannuelle Von Liebewitz, technically, could wield the Runefang of Wissenland should she care to do so, as long as she is the province's leader. She is far from a battlefield operative; her conquests happen indoors. In fact, so many and so infamous are her liasons that the Cult of Sigmar has operatives in Nuln who monitor the Countess for signs of Slaaneshi worship.

Incidentally: Karl Franz's surname is Holswig-Schliestein: This is actually a real surname! Today, I passed a building in an English city that was opened by Prince Christian Holswig-Schliestein I in 1902.

Gen.Steiner
16-09-2006, 15:12
Just on the topic of the Runefang, couldn't her "fearsome brother, Leopold" wield it on the field in her name?

Bubble Ghost
16-09-2006, 16:56
I belive her fearsome brother the duellist is called Leos, not Leopold, unless Leos is a nickname. And the answer is probably that he wouldn't, not least because if you've read Beasts in Velvet, you'll know that
"he" is dead.

Gen.Steiner
16-09-2006, 16:59
Hm, well, OK, fair enough. :p

My question still stands, though. Surely her General will wield the Runefang in her stead?

Bubble Ghost
16-09-2006, 17:20
Possible. Unless she considers it "her" symbol and it never leaves the case to make sure everyone at the dinner parties is suitably impressed, which I would think would be more likely...

Gen.Steiner
16-09-2006, 17:32
In which case, I curse her for a fool!

Voltaire
16-09-2006, 18:09
Is her fearsome brother also the captain of her guard then?

I recall some time ago Owen Rees actually fielded her on the back of a pegasus.

Rathgar
16-09-2006, 18:32
Is her fearsome brother also the captain of her guard then?

We can’t really talk about the Viscount von Liebewitz without spoiling the plot of the excellent book Beasts in Velvet (which has been mentioned as a good source book).

Number of points here:

First off; the countess. I’ll try not to repeat what people have already said (her beauty, her reputation, the fact she not a fighter etc). She’s more concerned with luxuries and the throwing of extravagant events that actually governing anything, she considers her province of Wissenland backwater and stay’s in Nuln as much as she can (I’ll deal with this point in a sec). She’s held here seat for a long time; through her relationship with the emperor (we know they were childhood friends and more is implied), her popularity (everyone knows she’s a bimbo, but the people love her none the less), very cleaver ‘advisors’ in her court and I suspect; being a bit more savvy than she makes out.

Second point; the countess wants to make Nuln a fully independent city state again, divorcing it form Wissenland. She’s gets to keep her vote, the Toppenheimer house of Pfeildorf gain a new electoral vote and the Emperor gets a fat ‘donation’. Things are in motion…

Possible leaders for your army are High Stewrad Kalb; who runs Nuln when Emmanuelle is away or the Marshall of Nuln’s formidable armed forces (sorry I can’t find a name mentioned for him!)

Bubble Ghost
16-09-2006, 18:38
Beasts in Velvet spoiler. Only read this if you've already read it, or you want to ruin one of the best GW novels there is. Seriously, I mean it. If you haven't read Beasts in Velvet, DO NOT READ THIS.

Beasts in Velvet is whodunnabout a Jack the Ripper-esque serial killer. It turns out to be Emanuelle von Leibwitz's younger brother, Leos, the most feared duellist in the Empire. The sting at the end, explaining all the bizarre in-the-killer's-mind chapters that left you guessing as to who or what it could be, not to mention some of the apparently casual observations about Leos, is that it turns out Leos was actually a girl. Her mind was scrambled essentially because her older sister was a spoiled cow and didn't want any more girls in the family, and what Emanulle wants Emanuelle gets. So Leos was brought up as a boy and as a result went a bit loopy, turning into a bizarre sort of female misogynist, hence the killings.

It's also worth mentioning that if we stick to the timeline, Emanuelle is over 50 by now so she's a slightly different archetype.

Rathgar
16-09-2006, 18:45
It's also worth mentioning that if we stick to the timeline, Emanuelle is over 50 by now so she's a slightly different archetype.

Apparently she’s still rather beautiful though, probably got the seductive older woman thing going on...

Bubble Ghost
16-09-2006, 18:49
Apparently she’s still rather beautiful though, probably got the seductive older woman thing going on...

Didn't say she wasn't.;)

unwanted
16-09-2006, 19:08
Didn't say she wasn't.;)*cough*Lahmian*cough*

(You'll all admit that she does fit the bill rather well, even though she probably isn't, what with the brother and all...)

N0-1_H3r3
16-09-2006, 23:20
How dare you insult Her Serenity the Countess of Nuln so... She's 37, nearly 38 (She was stated as being 27 in The Enemy Within for 1st Edition WFRP... the current date there being Spring 2512 on the Imperial Calendar. The current date is Autumn 2322 - a little over 10 years later).

As for her relationship with Emperor Karl-Franz... I was under the impression they were cousins. Admittedly, computer games are amongst the least reliable of sources (ranking alongside rumour forums in their accuracy:p), but it does suggest that Von Liebwitz is Karl-Franz' cousin...

And, well, supposedly the Emperor is married, so there can't (officially) be anything going on between them.

It should be remembered, though, that Heinrich Todbringer (Boris Todbringer's illegitimate son) has his eye on Countess Von Liebwitz. Certainly, having Nuln backing Middenland instead of the Reikland in the Electoral College might shake up Imperial Politics a little...

Gen.Steiner
16-09-2006, 23:24
How dare you insult Her Serenity the Countess of Nuln so... She's 37, nearly 38 (She was stated as being 27 in The Enemy Within for 1st Edition WFRP... the current date there being Spring 2512 on the Imperial Calendar. The current date is Autumn 2322 - a little over 10 years later).

2512 - 27. Fine. 2322 is, however, 190 years earlier, so she'd be MINUS 163 years old. :p The current date is 2500 something.

Voltaire
16-09-2006, 23:35
Gosh, this is all helpful, keep it coming while I order the Velvet novel

Griefbringer
17-09-2006, 08:00
If you are going to get the Beasts in Velvet novel, you might want to consider the omnibus edition that comes with the three other Jack Yeovil books (Drachenfels, Genevieve the Undead, Silver Nails) all in the same covers, since the price is rather reasonable - though I have to admit that Beasts is probably the best of the lot (not that the others are bad), and the others don't have too much to do with Nuln.

Oh, and if you don't have it already, grab a copy of Skavenslayer - probably the best of Gotrek & Felix books, and all set in Nuln.

BTW: Beasts in Velvet is set around 2506 IC, I am not sure about Skavenslayer but it should be around that date too.

Rathgar
17-09-2006, 11:01
And, well, supposedly the Emperor is married, so there can't (officially) be anything going on between them.

Yep, he has a son as well. It's implied that there was something going on at some point.

unwanted
17-09-2006, 12:19
BTW: Beasts in Velvet is set around 2506 IC, I am not sure about Skavenslayer but it should be around that date too.

According to the old Skaven Armybook, the events of Skavenslayer takes place in 2499.

Bubble Ghost
17-09-2006, 13:43

I was under the impression that she was over 30 in Beasts in Velvet, which takes place in 2506 (I remember one joke that she'd been 29 for several years). Your version suits me better though, she's an amusing character to have around.

dirach.
17-09-2006, 17:46
According to "Forges of Nuln" a book for WFRP, there is a marshall that runs the countess' army. The marshall used to be Randoltf Vogt. His family have held the post as leader of the Nuln army for generations. He was resently replaced by the countess' cousin Wolfhart von Liebwitz. Forges of Nuln describes him as: "He's squandered a great deal of his wealth on women and alcohol and have proved to everyone but Emmanuelle that he's an incompetent fool." He knows nothing about tactics and war. He is in his middle twenties.

wolf99
18-09-2006, 19:22
A number of points:

On the relationship between Wissenland and Nuln - Wissenland has always been seen as the province attached to the city of Nuln. This was the case back in the original background (published in TEW). It has subsequently been greatly increased in size and to be politically more important than the city in GW's books (at the same time Middenheim joined Middenland). The net result is that Suddenland was wiped clean from the Warhammer World map.

On the question of the Countesses Runefang - I'd say that no-one would be allowed to carry it into battle for her. It is the symbol of her power as Elector. The equivalent would be the Queen handing over her crown to someone else. Put simply, it wouldn't be done.

On the matter of the timeline of Beasts in Velvet and Skavenslayer - try not to get too hung up on these things as it will make your head hurt. The dates in Skavenslayer (and all Bill King's books) refer to the timeline in WFRP v1 which suggested that the 'present' date was 2500. That, however, was immediately superceded by the timeline in TEW which has formed the basis of all later offical timelines (but which King forgot). The WFB timeline has now moved forward by a further ten years but the -Slayer books tend to suggest that the same individuals are leading the country then as are in the latest WFB books. Ignoring the issue is the best solution (but not the one adopted in OrcSlayer apparently). Meanwhile, Beasts in Velvet adds its own confusion by referring to the old background (Suddenland's Elector is a major character) and at the same time rewriting it (he is not the same elector as in TEW). The best one can say is that Beasts in Velvet must be set after the events in Drachenfels but is highly likely to be before the start of TEW. That book was (according to an article in WD once) set sometime around 2507-8, as I remember, so a date of about 2510 - 11 seems appropriate.

Bubble Ghost
18-09-2006, 20:37
On the question of the Countesses Runefang - I'd say that no-one would be allowed to carry it into battle for her. It is the symbol of her power as Elector. The equivalent would be the Queen handing over her crown to someone else. Put simply, it wouldn't be done.

I'm not so sure about that. That's one way of looking at it, but an equally vaild one would be that Runefangs may be like crowns in their status as a badge of office, but they aren't crowns, they're weapons. They represent Electoral authority in a military context. As such, I can see a non-combatant Elector giving a Runefang to an appointed champion as being much the same as one representing them in a duel or a tournament or something. It would show that the wielder had been entrusted to be the representative of their power in battle.

That said, in Emanuelle's case I like to think she'd be more likely to use it as an accessory at a fancy dress party than lend it to anyone.

PS. Drachenfels was 2502, it says here. Although I fully agree on not thinking too hard about timelines...

unwanted
18-09-2006, 21:00
When I was dating Skavenslayer, I merely referenced the appropriate year from the timeline in the Skaven Armybook from 4th ed.

wolf99
18-09-2006, 22:11
PS. Drachenfels was 2502, it says here. Although I fully agree on not thinking too hard about timelines...
Fair enough - that sounds a little early to me though as Karl-Franz only became Emperor that year.

And that's also why, unwanted, although I don't suggest you did anything other than what you say -

When I was dating Skavenslayer, I merely referenced the appropriate year from the timeline in the Skaven Armybook from 4th ed. - it doesn't actually make sense to date Skavenslayer to 2499.

unwanted
18-09-2006, 22:27
I don't write the history here, I just quote it ;)

Griefbringer
19-09-2006, 06:19
I'm not so sure about that. That's one way of looking at it, but an equally vaild one would be that Runefangs may be like crowns in their status as a badge of office, but they aren't crowns, they're weapons. They represent Electoral authority in a military context. As such, I can see a non-combatant Elector giving a Runefang to an appointed champion as being much the same as one representing them in a duel or a tournament or something. It would show that the wielder had been entrusted to be the representative of their power in battle.

At least with 4th/5th edition Empire books, Karl Franz did not seem to have trouble passing his runefang over to the Reiksmarshall.

CommanderCax
19-09-2006, 07:46
At least with 4th/5th edition Empire books, Karl Franz did not seem to have trouble passing his runefang over to the Reiksmarshall.

If I remember correctly the Runefang wielded by the Reiksmarshall Captain Kurt Hellbog is from the Imperial armoury, where the Drakwald and Solland Runefang lies. So it is certainly one of these two and not the Reikland one.

N0-1_H3r3
21-09-2006, 17:27
If I remember correctly the Runefang wielded by the Reiksmarshall Captain Kurt Hellbog is from the Imperial armoury, where the Drakwald and Solland Runefang lies. So it is certainly one of these two and not the Reikland one.
I tend to take a rather more complex view than that.

The Reiksmarshall has two jobs. The first is that of Grand Master of the Reiksguard, the Knightly Order based less than 20 miles from Altdorf, who are charged with the protection of the Crown Prince of the Reikland (who just happens to be Emperor - if the Emperor was in Middenheim, then the Imperial Guard would theoretically be the Knights Panther, as they serve as protectors of the Count of Middenland). The second is that of Supreme Commander of the Imperial Army and Advisor on Military Affairs to the Emperor - this is a role independant of his position as Reiksmarshall, just like the Grand Theogonist serves as head of the Church of Sigmar, an Elector, and as Advisor on Matters Religious to the Emperor.

Reiksmarshall Helborg is notable for bearing a Runefang into battle, this much is true. We don't know if any of his predecessors did likewise. IMO, which one he wields is determined by the situation. If he marches to war as the Reiksmarshall, a representative of Karl-Franz Holsweig-Schleistien, Crown Prince of the Reikland, Prince of Altdorf... then he does so with the Reikland Runefang, so long as Karl-Franz isn't using it at the time. It is a symbol of the Elector's position, and can serve equally well as a symbol of his intent and blessing.

But, if Helborg rides to war, as he did in the Storm of Chaos, as Supreme Commander of the Imperial Army, then he will instead bear either the Solland or Drakwald Runefang, bestowed upon him by Emperor Karl-Franz - an act symbolic of the fact that he is presently fighting in service of the Empire, rather than any specific part of it.

I can similarly see some of the more busy or less militarily-inclined Electors bestowing their Runefangs, for a short time, to trusted generals in their service - it's a symbol that clearly demonstrates that they have the full backing of their ruler...

god octo
21-09-2006, 17:44
so rather then being just a weapon, the rune fang is a symbol of the elctors power and he will grant it to someone who he or she deems worthy, when they are performing and important act for their elector?

Voltaire
21-09-2006, 19:04
It would seem so. So, the question now is, would Emmanuelle von Liebewits brother use her Runefang?

Stouty
21-09-2006, 20:46
I would assume she would lend it to one of her marshall's as a symbol of her favour, she seems far too smart to go to the battlefield herself where she could get killed by a stray arrow or something.

She does seem to my kind of leader, the leader leader, not the fighter leader.

Bubble Ghost
21-09-2006, 23:01
It would seem so. So, the question now is, would Emmanuelle von Liebewits brother use her Runefang?

Nope, as we established on the previous page. For a start Leos von Leibwitz isn't really a battlefield warrior, he's an effete duellist. More details in Beasts in Velvet.:)

I would assume she would lend it to one of her marshall's as a symbol of her favour, she seems far too smart to go to the battlefield herself where she could get killed by a stray arrow or something.

She does seem to my kind of leader, the leader leader, not the fighter leader.

You've got to remember that Emanuelle is essentially a comedy character, the archetypal selfish, vacuous noble - she's not any kind of leader, she's a useless airhead. She wouldn't dream of visiting a battlefield, not because it's dangerous but because it would ruin her shoes.

CommanderCax
22-09-2006, 09:09
she seems far too smart to go to the battlefield herself where she could get killed by a stray arrow or something.

..or even worse getting her newest ball gown muddied. :eek:

Rathgar
22-09-2006, 09:23
I’m with Ghosty on the Runefangs issue. Granted they are artefacts of supreme symbolism and antiquity, and I doubt that they’re on loan to anyone. However they’re also incredibly powerful weapons, if we take the stance that magic items are in fact extremely rare; then taking a runefang to a battle is like taking a semi-automatic to a knife fight. It gives whoever holds it one hell of an edge. In addition, knowing you’ve got a bloke packing a Runefang on your side has got to be a massive moral boast to the troops.

Nuln sent a lot of tropes north in the Storm, I find it hard to believe that the countess, as empty headed as she is, would have let such a potent weapon collect dust in her armoury. I think it’s very likely that when things get bad, whoevers in charge of Nuln’s armed forces gets given the Wissenland ‘fang.

dirach.
22-09-2006, 11:05
The current marshall in Nuln is Wolfhart von Liebwitz as I mentioned before in this post. He have no skills as a leader of combat, and have more interest in women and alcohol.

If I was to make the army of Nuln. I would not use him (Or any other "Real" character. I would make up a general who leads parts of the army. Then you would aviod doing anything against the current background.

Voltaire
25-09-2006, 07:26
Thanks for all the input. I have decided to actually go against using a character who has a name when I begin my new army of Nuln. The person I will be using is going to be the nephew of one of Countess' previous lovers. This gent will have gotten the position of power through his own powess but many will think the Countess had something to do with his progression and be slightly resentful towards him. I may even chart his progression from a 'Border Commander' to a fully fledged army commander.

Rathgar
25-09-2006, 07:32
The current marshall in Nuln is Wolfhart von Liebwitz as I mentioned before in this post. He have no skills as a leader of combat, and have more interest in women and alcohol.

If I was to make the army of Nuln. I would not use him (Or any other "Real" character. I would make up a general who leads parts of the army. Then you would aviod doing anything against the current background.

The marshall of Nuln isn’t a military commander, his just the administrative head of Nuln’s armed forces; securing funds form the countess and generally paper pushing.

Anyway nice to see that you’ve come up with a way of representing the fickle nature of Nuln’s ruler in you own way Voltaire. Best of luck with the army.

Voltaire
25-09-2006, 17:10
So you actually think thats ok for representing the fickle nature of the politics in the army of Nuln?

Stouty
30-09-2006, 15:52
Firstly I apologise for the threadromancy, I play VC it's in my blood:p

You've got to remember that Emanuelle is essentially a comedy character, the archetypal selfish, vacuous noble - she's not any kind of leader, she's a useless airhead. She wouldn't dream of visiting a battlefield, not because it's dangerous but because it would ruin her shoes.

Okay, this is why I commited the crime. The post portrays her as stupid. She became a count, then an elector count, then an elector count of 2 states. This does not seem like the work of a useless airhead unless I've missed something critical, and if I have do say, but really she seems like an incredibly intelligent politition and obviously a ruler of some skill.

Again I apologise for the ressurection, forgive me mods (it was still on the first page).