PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Rumors?

The Phoenix
17-03-2005, 19:32
Anybody got any? I know there were some threads on this in the old rumors section, but I can't really see those anymore, now can I? :p

So... if someone could give me a nice little summary, I'd appreciate it very much.

-The Phoenix
Defender of Loren

Sgt John Keel
17-03-2005, 20:16
Anybody got any? I know there were some threads on this in the old rumors section, but I can't really see those anymore, now can I? :p

So... if someone could give me a nice little summary, I'd appreciate it very much.

-The Phoenix
Defender of Loren

Um. Dynamically posed wardancers (with sticks), twins on dragon, forest spirits, no move and shoot penalty, special and rare treemen, killing blow waywatchers, waywatcher hero.

Anything more?

/Adrian

risK
17-03-2005, 22:35
From Therion of Dakka:

I gathered some Wood Elf rumours here, from a variety of sources, including Conflict: London. Some of them are new, some are not.

Graham McNeill's new novel will be released around the same time as the new Wood Elf models and army book. It's about a Bretonnian Knight that loses his wife to a nasty Dryad, and quests into Athel Loren to find out what has happened. Loren forest is a dark and dangerous place, and the Elves basically try to keep the chaotic forest creatures from harming humans. Orion and Ariel have sold their souls to some entity or Daemon, a dark heart of the woods, and while serving it, keep it from harming others by using waystones.

The three special characters in the book are apparently Orion, the twin sisters that share the same soul, and Durthu.

Dryads are seriously nerfed, as they are the main core choice for the forest spirits army. I'm talking about S3 T4 and a 5+ ward save, and no skirmish, and no aspects.

There is no ranged negative modifier for moving and shooting, and I believe Archers have S4 in short range, and skirmish. It could also be just armour piercing though. Graham McNeill said that the designers have decided the issue, but he couldn't remember whether they went with S4 at close range or just armour piercing. A rumour has also been circling that they just might have given all Archers killing blow at short range, instead of either of the previous.

Wood Elves definately have their own lore of magic. New Treeman model is 'about the size of a Shaggoth'. Ogre type Treemen can be taken as special choices.

Glade Riders are in the book, but they ride horses. Apparently the 'elk' is only a mount for characters.

Archers and Glade Guard come in one plastic box. The Green Dragon doesn't get a new model, but two new riders. It has been said that the Wood Elf plastic box is the most detailed kit GW has made yet, and all of the poses will be very dynamic (kneeling archers etc) since WE skirmish. There will be foliage and scrubs and whatnot in the box.

The Eternal Guard is a rare choice unit, to match the Black and Phoenix Guard. The statline is the usual one, and they are armed with heavy armour, shield and 'staffsword'. The staffsword can be used as two hand weapons, a hand weapon, or a spear, and the first and the second rank don't have to use it in the same way. So you can get 3+ armour save for the unit and still hit with spears from the second rank, and according to a rumour you can switch styles between rounds. Sounds cool and all, but I'm expecting them to cost 15 or 16 points, which makes them still incredibly hard to use.

The army deal is out in the beginning of August.

And some infos (gathered at Nuremberg Toy Fair) from a German Forum. Was already posted in original Portent, but I translate it again:

-Armybook will be 80p. strong. 2 armies: WE and Forest spirits, can be mixed.
-Dryads will be core, he saw pics: old wifes, hung with ivy, reaching for their prey with ghostly hands. He thinks they're fantastic.
-No grining WE horses anymore, hurra. New horses are wearing a kind of short harnish around head and neck. Seemed to look very nice. 8 in a box.
-Wardancer was the most beautiful model ever seen by reporter. Calm pose, one foot on a trunk, sword drawn in front of him.
-Warhawks look more like huge pigeons, riders are actually Warhawk surfers...

cheers, risK

The Undying
17-03-2005, 22:51
They will become a tough army to beat. They're getting their own lore... I think.

Witchsmeller
18-03-2005, 02:38
They're getting their own lore... I think.

That's the rumor on Dakka.

piotrov
18-03-2005, 03:12
Are we really looking at August for the Army Box? So then the Book and first Regiments will be out in September? I wasn't expecting it that soon... Although I guess that way most of the models should be out by Christmas.

I'll have to start saving my pennies a little faster...

Delicious Soy
18-03-2005, 03:47
I want to know what genius decided to make them warhawk surfers. That to me is just plain crap.

Darius Rhiannon
18-03-2005, 05:02
Thank you for the rumours.

My birthday is in September, so if they are out then, GW will have given me a nice Birthday Present.

Ar-Earandur
18-03-2005, 10:09
Looking forward to it.

maxwell123
18-03-2005, 11:18
Wood Elf Book looks quite promising judging from the rumours. Well, here's hoping GW don't screw up another Elf army anyway.

Kwitchit
18-03-2005, 14:17
I've been hearing rumors of a Treeman character to lead the Forest Spirits army (similar to the Shaggoth in power).

arS909
18-03-2005, 14:28
I've been hearing rumors of a Treeman character to lead the Forest Spirits army (similar to the Shaggoth in power).

It will be very nice than or not ... we'll see ;)
Does someone know something about this rumor ?
And what about treemens squadrons ? ( is that true ? )
I'd like to know if it's worth to start a new WE army ... :confused:

BoosterX
18-03-2005, 14:47
I just hope the sculpts are worth painting unlike some of the Gnoblar/Yeti stuff we are getting lately...

Maelstrom
18-03-2005, 17:22
There will be ogre sized treemen as special. Personally I thought these would be dryads, and core would be pixies for the spirit list.

It will be possible to have a pure elf list or a pure spirit list or a mix of the two.

I'm surprised that the old forums most talked about army has already got a 2 page thread!

maxwell123
18-03-2005, 19:50
The forest spirits army sounds really interesting. If the army turns out the way I think it will based on rumours, I may just have to start collecting Wood Elves.

Neknoh
18-03-2005, 20:55
Hrm... anyone else thinks this sounds a LOT like the Horde of Chaos book?

2 different armies in one book that can be combined, for the Spirits of the woods armie, there are strength 3 t4 units with a 5+ wardsave, they get their own lore?

I realy think this sound as if they are making a Chaos type army, but based on the Shooting phase and not the Close combat phase (to a certain degree)

JarLoz
18-03-2005, 22:25
Well, I hope that if the book is like HoC, they don't botch the other side of the list like they did with daemons. I hope that both pure weedy and pure spirit armies would be viable choises from a competive point of wiew. I really want to make a spirit army some time in the future. :)

Reabe
19-03-2005, 23:42
I want to know what genius decided to make them warhawk surfers. That to me is just plain crap.

I don't know. Hopefully the ability of the sculptrs will give us some nice models.

GW have had two elf armies already. What are the chances they mess this up?! :rolleyes:

Darius Rhiannon
20-03-2005, 04:26
Well, they say "third time lucky" perhaps if GW manages to pull it off, we can say that the old saying is true.

But I am worried about how they will be able to pull it of. And that if they pull it off, it will be much stronger than the other Elven Armies. For example. How will GW address the issue of its earlier over costing of WS & I.

Especially on the characters. High Elf Princes and Dark Elf -I think Highborns- have the same stats and cost the same. This would lead me to conclude that the Wood Elf "Lord" would have similar stats and costs similarly. Howeverm if it does cost the same, it will still be overpriced, espcially in Comparison to such things like the Oldblood which IIRC only costs 20pts more. And which has S5 and T5.

Also do we have any idea what the "benefit" the wood elves will enjoy in the magic phase. The DE have +1 to cast, and the HE have +1 to dispel.

Will the WE magic phase even work like a conventional one, or will it be like the Ogre Kingdom's one...

I hope they start given out information soon as it is likely that we are within the 6 month window already. Especially if they come out in June. Maybe GW learned something from the over exposure of the Ogres and their Drib & Drab release and want to release all the WE models simultanously.

boogle
20-03-2005, 04:34
The wood Elf characters (the exception being the Wardancer), comes with a bowe as standard, which means they will benefit from the Archers special rules for no extra points (if they get any special ruels that is), plus they can then buy the special arrows without having to buy a bow as well

EagLes610
20-03-2005, 05:19
I dunno what I want the Woodies to be. I have a feeling they'll be like the Ogres, a lot of people hyping them and putting together army plans, but never DOING them. But these Woodies...seem powerfull. My High Elves...might not make it :p .

Stouty
20-03-2005, 10:36
I do like the sound of the new woddies but if they screw them up like they did with orgre kingdoms (model wise) and the other elf armies (playing wise) I think GW will know of it. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Personally all i want is for them to have half descent models and not play like an empire artillary train. anything else i can deal with :rolleyes:

Quercia
20-03-2005, 14:14
Heheh people, this will surprise you... But I have newer info you people said. Ok some of it is cr@p (like the release of WE in July), but don't be scared... There are far better rumors I have :rolleyes:. Now we have them all on here too, and not only on the WE sites (and Asur). These are all the WE rumors, from newest working down to the eldest. Some are double (I just used Copy/Paste), because they are different posts. Just to confirm also.

Do you want it?

Ok here goes : (LONG, but some are the same things, I'll start with the newest rumors)

They apparently sculpted a ton of Wood Elf character models. 4 mages and 4 combat characters according to Phil.

-Not sure this has been indicated before but Dryads apparently will still have a 5+ armor save in addition to the 5+ ward they now will get. Phil described them as scary hags, not quite what I was hoping for but who knows what they will actually look like.

-There is indeed a Hero level Forest spirit. I forget what he called it but it's essentially a dryad hero. The Lord level Treeman is called an Ancient, and there is still a rare choice Treeman, meaning to get a treeman you don't have to take the Lord level one.

-The Marco Columbo model will be rereleased in limited quantities via Mail Order when the Lustria book comes out. He was only available in Spain, but they are now going to release him more widely.

-The Machine of the Old Ones, big machine strapped to a dinosaur that has been floating around is deffinetly a conversion. Phil said there is no model for it. He mentioned it has the ability to call down meteorites. Perhaps ala Comet of Cassandora?

-The New plastic High Elf Bolt Thrower is way cooler than the old metal one. There is actually a ton of detail on it. The sprues come with a ton of accesory items, including a cool new elf head with flowing hair. The pictures that floated around a while ago where obviously work in progress shots, because the real model is very cool. The Bolts actually look like sword blades with arrow shafts attatched to them, and the thrower is made to hold about six of them on the top. It really does look like a "repeating" bolt thrower now.

-The new Skaven plague monks are really cool looking. The picture on the GW site doesn't do them justice. The models really do look suitably plaguey, they just weren't painted all that well. Some of the arms have boils, and all the robes are actually fairly tattered, it just doesn't show in their picture. Each sprue comes with a ton of accesories. You get a bunch of tiny rats to make rat swarms, including a very tiny skaven with a knife. It also comes with a bunch of staffs about six on each sprue. Not sure what they are for other than banner poles but they look really warped and sickly looking.

-The new plastic Rat Ogres are fantastic. The box comes with two Rat Ogres and three packmasters. The Ogres have so many different arm choices its mind boggling, and just like the Plague monks they have tons of accessories.

-The Lustria Book sounds very cool. The new "encounters" phase seems pretty funny. Apparently both players have "encounter points" which they use to cause encounters on the game board, and hoepfully to their enemy. He didn't go into too many details but did say that the "encounters" remain in play for the rest of the game, possibly affecting either side if they get near it. The one example he used was quick sand. Which, according to Phil, causes any unit within a certain distance of the encounter token to take an armor save. If they pass they die.

Glade Guard will be the only cavalry.
The sisters with the same soul are fact.
The "Winter Guard" are actually The Eternal Guard, and dance around with extremely large staffs topped with scythed blades.
New cavalry models (that's horses s well as riders).
Army books and Battalion sets at the end of July/beginning of August, with scaled release due for the GB Games Day.

There is more:

Orion is returning, but Ariel is not, hehe, as far as I can remember a direct quote was "she was always very lovely and into healing etc, she doesn't really fit into the new wood elf picture of violent death".
The Lore of Athel Loren...
And the Elk Riders that people mention...Glade Riders are the only cavalry, whether they are now riding these Elk, I do not know, I forgot to ask that specific question.

- UK WE release in JULY
2 - North America WE release in AUGUST
(this is like the OK were released in the UK in DEC and NA in JAN)
3 - The forest spirit only and elf only and mixed list possibilities are indeed true
4 - Treeman Lord, 7"-9" tall model (SWEET!!!) definitely going to be taller and bulkier than the Treebeard model.
5 - ENTIRE MODEL RANGE HAS BEEN REDONE, every unit will have new models
6 - Army and Battalion boxes will be available
7 - The biggest army redesign GW has ever done... top to bottom...

By Grendelstalking, I think here his name is Grendel) :

Was just at MPLS GT and these are some confirmations:

Book release will be July, and their unveiling will be at Chicago GT/GD.

The Wood Elf lore of magic - very defensive, one of the spells will double US.

This is confirmed - there will be a monster unit (The White Stag? - They said it was a whtie stag of some sort) like the Green Knight that is on a monster base that has special abilities (leading some sort of Great Hunt?). Other than that they only saw models, and didn't really review the book that thouroughly.

The Elk Riders (?) will be our version of Heavy Cav, and will not be Core, probably Special.

Orion is returning, but no word yet on any other special characters.

Treeman lord choice is confimed. May only be for certain lists.

Winter guard list is confirmed.

(Some more things by Gravefiller):

On to rumors.....

Hmmm.........seems we may have been victims of misinformation here. First, I do not doubt what heard, but I received contrary info to some of your points, or rather just one of them.

The good news............I now believe the release date, as pointed put by Grendel is most certianly true. I, too had thought for months it was late in the year, but pre-GT, I started to hear alot about a late summer release date, some of it by a source I have that is fairly trustyworthy. Redshirts there confirmed this.........for what it's worth.

White Stag ............people I talked to there, either denied, or didn't know. what I was told about our presumed harder hitting cav, was that they would be some type of ogre sized "mini-tree" thingy.

Other news.

Warhawks: plastic, riders metal. Kinda beleive this one, no idea about stat changes. But very cool looking.

Wardancers: core, plastic, dynamic poses!! Also extremely well done. In fact...just consider that from what I was told, and from what has been seen is all pretty stunning. Good deal.

Dryads: pretty much what we've heard, plastic, more female like, not as hard hitting, core if ypu choose the all spirit army for sure, not so sure if you want to build the spirit-elf mixed army.

Elk riders: They didn't know anything about them.

The Wood Elf lore of magic - very defensive, one of the spells will double US.

This is confirmed - there will be a monster unit (The White Stag? - They said it was a whtie stag of some sort) like the Green Knight that is on a monster base that has special abilities (leading some sort of Great Hunt?). Other than that they only saw models, and didn't really review the book that thouroughly.

The Elk Riders (?) will be our version of Heavy Cav, and will not be Core, probably Special.

Orion is returning, but no word yet on any other special characters.

Treeman lord choice is confimed. May only be for certain lists.

Winter guard list is confirmed.

-Quercia

Quercia
20-03-2005, 14:15
Umm here some more... Enjoy! (didn't fit in 1 post, these are the oldest rumors..):

26.07.04 wrote:
A few people asked questions about WE and got suprisingly large amounts of info, GW are just starting play testing with them and we were told a few cool bits of info:

1: they are definately getting their own spell law

2: They'll lose no -1 at long range but get no -1 for moving and will get bonuses for closer range (unspecified) the idea is to get WE to perform more hit and run rather than standing on the opposite table edge and shooting.

3: There will be lord, hero, core, special and rare non-elf units i.e. a lord tree spirit etc. allowing WE to take all elf, all tree sprits or a mixture of the two.

4: The models are going to be much more dynamic to look like they're jumping out of the woods for a few shots before running away.

20.08.04 wrote:
Having recently spoken to guys who've seen the archer sprue:
-Apparently WE archers are going to be the most detailed plastic sprue GW have ever done.
-The spure includes many poses uncommon to plastic since WE will skirmish, such as kneeling archers, no single pose bret archers.
-The guys mentioned foliage and stuff also on the sprue.
-Likely 16 per box.
-Killing blow at short range, lack 36" range.

Other WE stuff:
-Very celtic as has already been suggested.
-Dryads, Naiads(spelling?)- a hero type are very lithe, thin and female.
-There was another type of dryad mentioned.
-No Gladeguard.

I'm not sure how much of this was speculative, but since both guys have recently spent a lot of time at HQ I think it's probably true.

30.08.04 wrote:
Wood Elves:
As already mentioned, Anthony Renolds is working on the WE armybook and he "has a lot of fun doing that".
One of the reasons why WE are one of the last armybooks on the shedule is that they are not really a that popular army (I guess same could be said about Chaos Dwarfs and DoW) and that one army has to be the last...

According to Gav, there'll not be Centaurs in the WE army, but there'll be the mentioned "Elves + Forrest-folk = WE army book" thing.

30.08.04 wrote:
@WE miniatures:
They are currently producing WE miniatures, but it's all about 3-up models atm. Iirc the WE will be designed using the old style casting process as well.

While there'll not be any Centaurs in the army, the miniature range will be completely redone and Gav said that we'd most likely not be dissapointed by the final result.

16.09.04 wrote:
I had also heard the rumors of darker fluff, which I also find very promising. However, I was trying to keep my list to fluff that is already definitively part of the army, rather then potential future fluff.

Then again, this is wood elf rumors. So the rumors I have heard about wood elf fluff will be that there is a dangerous forest spirit/god, something of a dark heart of the wood that the wood elves serve while simultaneously holding it in check with the waystones.

Orion and Ariel will be elves who sold their souls to this being, rather then avatars of Kurneous and Isha, which is pretty much fine by me, as the roll of mortal representative of Isha was already filled.

Overall this will give wood elves a dark, dangerous feel, taking them out of the "good guys" category and putting them into the "neutral" category. Matching this change in fluff tone will be a grim, savage look to the new models.

At least that's the rumor. I like it, though I'm not sure exactly how reliable it is.

02.10.04 wrote:
Just surfing the net, and came across these on Dakka.

A few people asked questions about WE and got suprisingly large amounts of info, GW are just starting play testing with them and we were told a few cool bits of info:

1: they are definately getting their own spell law

2: They'll lose no -1 at long range but get no -1 for moving and will get bonuses for closer range (unspecified) the idea is to get WE to perform more hit and run rather than standing on the opposite table edge and shooting.

3: There will be lord, hero, core, special and rare non-elf units i.e. a lord tree spirit etc. allowing WE to take all elf, all tree sprits or a mixture of the two.

4: The models are going to be much more dynamic to look like they're jumping out of the woods for a few shots before running away.

03.10.04 wrote:
I'm sure that someone will better this but I've just got home from the Birmingham NIA and thought that you would like a little run down of what I remember.

* Portent got mentioned a couple of times in the Warhammer seminar. The first was when they were showing a Wood Elf concept sketch which they assured us they had produced themselves not lifted from Portent. The second was when the guy with a notepad that was sitting next to me asked a question, the GW bloke with the microphone came over and jokingly said "don't tell him he's writing it all down for Portent" they answered his question anyway though. I don't however know if his note were for the benifit of this website though. I thought that you guys my be glad to know that you got a bit of recognotion as a community and of course this was a backhanded confirmation that they read these boards
* Wood Elves will follow the Lustria book, the entire range is being redone and added to, they will lose their ability to shoot at long range with no penalty but instead will be able to move and shoot with no penalty. You will be able to field an all Wood Elf or all Athel Loren army or a mixture of the two. The WE are not good or bad more more akin to a force of nature like the sea. They consider the current army is not very fun to play against and wish to introduce more elements designed to be in HTH to counter this. They will have light cav and a unit that acts in a similar fashion to heavy cav but NO chariots.

04.10.04 wrote:
Anthony Reynolds, who is writing the (Wood Elf) Army Book, gave us a few insights at GD:

-1 to hit at long range is confirmed, as is no move or fire penalty. He is aware that WE can be frustrating to fight against and he plans to lessen this by making it more attractive for WE players to "move closer".

Larger minimum size of units.

Glade Riders will have a heavier option.

Wardancers and Dryads will be made more different - he said they have too similar a role at the mo.

WE magic will be Athel Loren flavoured - but he admitted Treesinging was too powerful.

He was aware that Glade Guard are over-priced and under-used - he will fix this.

Two "sizes" of treeman.

New units which I inferred were tree-spirits-based.

There will be three types of army you can choose - Shooty skirmishing (I guess like now), more meaty HTH army or wood spirit army (no elves at all)

-Quercia

risK
20-03-2005, 22:47
http://www.bigjoeduke.com/GamesDay2005Atlanta/DSCN0319.JPG

cheers
risK

Maelstrom
20-03-2005, 22:54
Where's that from?

KDP Morgoth
20-03-2005, 23:05
It's the picture Phil Kelly showed during the Wood Elf portion of the Atlanta Gamesday Seminar.

risK
20-03-2005, 23:06
Atlanta GD Seminar, taken from other rumour thread (link) either here on portent or dakka, can't remember anymore...
It was the only WE pic during the seminar, the rest was mostly 40K Tyras and WHFB Lustria, some LotR (mixed-seminar)

Malachi
21-03-2005, 04:23
Hey, our baby's first picture, how exciting!

Everything's sounding pretty damn good (maybe GW will make it worth the wait after all), though I'm not convinced by this whole 'waystones keeping the dark spirit at bay' concept, I love Woodies being neutral/meaner/fighting for survival and nature, but selling souls to keep the forest at bay? That's a bit much.

Kroq
21-03-2005, 04:58
looks like it could be a boot dagger on the bottom of the left leg.Can't wait to see all the extras on the sprues

Sir Badger
21-03-2005, 12:36
well after following the wood elf saga on this board i am looking forward to the release, especially if they do have a more celtic look. I just hope that everyones expectations are realised.

Odin
21-03-2005, 12:39
Book release will be July, and their unveiling will be at Chicago GT/GD.

Anyone know when the Chicago GT/GD is then? I can't wait.

geto
22-03-2005, 22:39
heres an outline of what i presume to be the new wood elf archerwww.bigjoeduke.com/GamesDay2005Atlanta/DSCN0319.JPG

risK
24-03-2005, 22:30
heres an outline of what i presume to be the new wood elf archerwww.bigjoeduke.com/GamesDay2005Atlanta/DSCN0319.JPG

just go to page 3 oft this thread

Delicious Soy
29-03-2005, 04:55
I don't know. Hopefully the ability of the sculptrs will give us some nice models.They could be Michaelangelo incarnate, but there is no way that anyone can make an elf surfing on the back of an eagle look good. Unless their target audience is hyperactive 10 year olds....... Oh, I see. :rolleyes:

sulla
29-03-2005, 22:34
They could be Michaelangelo incarnate, but there is no way that anyone can make an elf surfing on the back of an eagle look good. Unless their target audience is hyperactive 10 year olds....... Oh, I see. :rolleyes:

Riiight. Because sitting with your legs in front of the eagles wings and your feet up by it's beak looks soooo much better :rolleyes: ... face it, eagles are not anotomically designed to be ridden.

Sgt John Keel
29-03-2005, 23:20
Riiight. Because sitting with your legs in front of the eagles wings and your feet up by it's beak looks soooo much better :rolleyes: ... face it, eagles are not anotomically designed to be ridden.

I quite doubt that any creature was originally destined to be ridden. However, thousands of years of selective breeding has probably seen to that...

/Adrian

Plaguebeast
30-03-2005, 03:02
[QUOTE=sulla]Riiight. Because sitting with your legs in front of the eagles wings and your feet up by it's beak looks soooo much better [QUOTE]

Hell, it has to look better than surfing Elves!

Plaguebeast

Sylass
30-03-2005, 04:28
Aww, feels like home.

This really sounds like the old Portent. People start bitching about something they've never seen and mark it as looking silly already. :p

Who knows, the concept is new and sounds like something you'll need to see before judging about it.

Maybe it looks great? :eek:

Delicious Soy
30-03-2005, 09:51
*Recalls LOTR TTT*

Elves and surfing do not mix.

Akuma
30-03-2005, 19:01
Heh i will definitly get 2 Army boxes ... this is the army I've been waiting for. It dosnt even matter if they be playable or not. I think all elves aren't typical powergamer army and seeing Ogres ( I have 2000 of them ) game is going to get some balancing witch is good IMHO. Problem is that 7ED can change almost everything by changing weapon rules - think of it - would Phenix Guard be so bad if halabard was better ?? -> GW is waiting for something and this something is 7ed so i would say that for our patiance we get second army done with 7ed in mind - and looking at the ogres it just gets better and better :D.

Plaguebeast
31-03-2005, 00:27
Aww, feels like home.

This really sounds like the old Portent. People start bitching about something they've never seen and mark it as looking silly already. :p

Who knows, the concept is new and sounds like something you'll need to see before judging about it.

Maybe it looks great? :eek:

I don't like judging models before I see them. However, in this case the idea just seems way too radical for my liking. Sure, they may look great, however, right now I'm finding it extremely difficult to imagine how on earth they could look good.

Plaguebeast

Akuma
01-04-2005, 08:49
by the otline the new archer dosnt seem do differ much from the old one :(

Jedi152
01-04-2005, 09:57
by the otline the new archer dosnt seem do differ much from the old one :(

Agreed. Just looks like an old WE scout to me.

Punk_in_Drublic
01-04-2005, 11:09
I was hoping for lots of almost nekkid, celt-inspired tattooed plastic elfs. That would do wonders for my CoP list.

LAter,

-Punk

Akuma
01-04-2005, 11:49
you probably wouldnt be able to distiguishe she elfs from male ones :) or the other way around :D

lazarus
03-04-2005, 17:49
Couple of odd and sods I heard for you (rumours not fact but source seemed to be in the know) -

Waywatchers will be able to shoot from 4" inside a wood......

You can upgrade your general to be a waywatcher (skill or magic item I dunno).....

Characters will have access to different arrow types like armour piercing etc..

Tree singing will enable WE to "move" woods on the table - once per wood per turn.

The minis will be darker in look with a more sinister black leather and cloaks type thing going on and are supposed to be so :cool:

Narandil
03-04-2005, 19:59
cool, i heard that they will have a kind of high elf honour system (for wood elves)

Akuma
03-04-2005, 20:18
Probalbly yes with waywatcher , wardancer and so on - this way thay could scrap the bladesinger and make room for new forest spirit characters.

MiketheFish
04-04-2005, 01:51
Tree singing will enable WE to "move" woods on the table - once per wood per turn.

UH... I don't know if this one has much merit. I have already hear a bunch of rumors stating that that they got rid of the Tree Singing spell/ability altogether, since it is intensely annoying.

Kul
04-04-2005, 05:02
hmm...
it's just a spell, you can dispell it, the other player might not even cast it, and it's only d6+1" a turn...

it isn't too overpowered IMO

Delicious Soy
04-04-2005, 07:03
I thought the problem was using woods as WE public transport.

Stouty
04-04-2005, 10:20
You can't use like that, I tink

But anyway you think tree singing is annoying i think Mortars are annoying but we get over it!

Delicious Soy
04-04-2005, 11:19
I mean people move the WE, then move the trees over them. I don't know, I've never played against WE myself.

Punk_in_Drublic
04-04-2005, 11:49
As far as I know, per the current rules they can move with it if there is a unit in the wood that is being moved. But they can only moe one wood once, and cannot if there is a enemy unit in said wood. THat's a lot of wood.

Later,

-Punk

Delicious Soy
04-04-2005, 12:22
Every like hard wood on a table, especially when its moved about by hand.

Akuma
04-04-2005, 12:37
And would it be so bad if scauts and waywatchers moved with the wood itself - sitting on the trees OR in fact used trees as upper ground to shoot no the nerest target ??? I mean thay are born and rised in woods so thay can shoot from a tree ( I'm no woodelf and can do it with sport bow - hitting quite accurate i must say )

Quercia
05-04-2005, 18:04
Take a look at this, includes many confirmations, but also some unfamiliar things (like Dryads can be Core if Forest Spirit Lord is taken):

Wood Elves:
Own lore list, no details.
Only new unit (after a bit of prodding) is a special, ogre sized, forest spirit,
Stag options only for characters. Even after repeated question, phrased differently, no new stag rider units reported.
Warhawk riders on smaller hawks, more of a surfing look.
Dryads to be core, if Forest Spirit Lord taken.
Wouldn't talk about special characters.
Dave couldn't remember/couldn't talk about exactly what changes were being made to the list. He said that he hadn't seen the army list yet.
I was an idiot and didn't ask about the release date, but sneak peaks should start on the website in Mid-may, with nearly the full line at Chicago Gamesday in the case.

Here's 1 of the most accurate army list predictions I've ever seen:

Lords
Forest Lord (wouldn't be surprised if the name changed though)
Archmage
Treeman Elder/Ancient

Hero
Glade Guardian
Bladeweaver
Mage
Forest spirit (Hero level Dryad. No mention so far but I wouldn't be surprised).

Mounts (not for tree spirits though)
Elven steed
Forest Dragon (Forest lord only)
Great eagle
Unicorn (mages only)
Warhawk (unlikely)
Great Stag (possibly The White Stag/Hart)

Other possible heroes put forward were Beastmasters and Waywatcher heroes but if they are in there I expect them to be purchasable skills like High Elf Honours.

Core units
Archers (possibly with scout upgrade)
Glade Guard
Dryads
War Dancers (go up the special or rare dependant on how many wardances they buy).
Glade Riders

Special
Warhawk Riders
Tree-Kin (ogre sized Treemen)
Stag Riders/Wild Hunt (mostly likely candidates for unit that hits as hard as heavy cav.)
Great Eagles
Scouts (if they haven't been absorbed into archers as an upgrade)
Winter Guard (possibly here maybe Rare)

Rare
Waywatchers
Treemen (like Dragon Ogre Shaggoths you can take treemen as a lord or a rare choice both have same stats).
Winter Guard (if they aren't special)

Waywatchers might get KB rule.
Dryads rumored to be core.
Tree-Kin - new hard hitting unit.
Treeman - maybe becomes a Lord choice and Rare choice (like Shaggoth, BoC)
Winter Guard - rumored to be the elite unit
Orion - comes back ! they say
Special Character : Elf Soul Twin - is on the dragon, if one dies, but the other doesn't, it comes back.

WE become more feral, and more attacking, neutral

Ciao, cya all!

-Quercia

Kul
05-04-2005, 18:15
Quite good list :D
where did you get it?

on topic:I'D really like Wardancers on core, could be a nice theme :D
and I really like the shaggoth-treemen thing :) sounds awesome

Quercia
05-04-2005, 18:23
I got it from The Waystone... The site in my signature. ;)

Anyways, there is also a Hero Forest Spirit coming, probably a Dryad character.

-Quercia

Kul
05-04-2005, 19:16
Okay, I'll have a look there..

actually, this sound like WE becoming an easy army to play :confused:

risK
05-04-2005, 20:27
Probably the Bladeweaver is an upgrade to the Hero like a HE honour... it would be easier to explain in the rules than Beastmaster for example.
And Stag Riders/Wild Hunt is a doubtful thing as well. The rest seems to be quite beliveable/reasonable to me.

I'd love to see core Wardancers... have been mentioned numerous times, but it makes me excited each time I hear it :D

Shoggoth
05-04-2005, 22:15
Do you remeber a mentioned unit of cavalry that should be an heavy cavalry option?

Well,i could tell you that WE will get a NEW Cavalry unit that it's called "Wild Cavalry"(or something similar)

It's basically a light cavalry unit of steeds mounted by wardancers.

New models are on the way the horse being plastic while the rider being metal.That unit shoudl be a special choice.

the source it's reliable 100%

Malachi
06-04-2005, 03:29
Shoggoth, hate to tell you mate, but you've been duped. It's been stated by many different sources that the only new units are going to be the ogre sized treeman and possibly the Eternal Guard. Other units will obviously be re-worked, but there will not 3 new units, and if there was, it certainly wouldn't be horse riding wardancers :(. Also, what you said about the models is ridiculous, GW has been moving away from mixed components units for years (in both WHFB and 40K), there is no way we'll see a mixed component unit in a new army, the models will be metal or plastic, not both. Trust me.

Quercia, a pretty good list despite it's source.

However, based on what was on the old Portent and from other sources, the 'Winter Guard' will be the 'Eternal Guard' and will be a similar unit to HE Phoenix Guard and DE Black Guard. i.e. elite heavily armoured infantry unit with some cool special rules. The most common rumour I've heard regarding their special rules was that they will be armed with swordstaves and be able to use them as different weapon options from turn to turn and through different ranks. i.e. the front rank could use them as 2 handed weapons while the second rank used them as spears, then next turn the front ranks could use them as hand weapons and shields. Pretty cool, but highly unconfirmed (and probably overpriced).

Also, there will not be a stag riding unit, this has been confirmed time and again, the stag is a hero mount (as you said). Our cavalry is most likely to be glade riders (possibly tying in with the rumoured new elven steeds), and the rumoured 'new cavalry option that hits like heavy cavalry' is most likely to be beefed up Warhawk Riders, who have been said to be approaching the Brettonian Pegesus Riders stateline, though not as durable.

:edit: Forgot to talk about release dates. Talking to Oz mail order yesterday about advance ordering the WE Battalion and got told that it'll bee late August or early September. Nothing new really, just a confirmation of the already predicted dates.

risK
06-04-2005, 08:34
Was it called a 'cavalry unit' or simply a 'unit' hitting as hard as heavy cavalry. If the latter was right, then I bet that the rumour was refering to the treekin ogre sized treeman unit. I for myself highly doubt, that warhawk surfers will hit that hard...
That would just NOT fit their role and appearance.

(Will the gladeriders be surfing their horses too?) ;)

Malachi
06-04-2005, 08:50
Good point, I think it was the latter, in which case I completely agree.

Surfing aside, I'm pretty sure the Warhawk Riders will be beefed up in the army book, that got thrown around a fair bit on the old Portent. Though rumours will be rumours...

Kul
06-04-2005, 10:51
Hmm, Aren't they good as they are...
They'd become to lizard/human-ish with stronger warhawk riders...

Malachi
06-04-2005, 16:56
Hmm, Aren't they good as they are...
They'd become to lizard/human-ish with stronger warhawk riders...

I don't think it's that they're not good as they are, merely that GW wants to shift their battlefield role from warmachine hunters to something more socially acceptable, like a light cavarly/flank charging unit. Much like most WE units; it's not that Warhawk Riders are bad at what they do, it's that what they do is annoying. With the shift away from skirmishing/primarily shooting to a WE take on HtH (a very good choice in my opinion), GW needs to update all our units to ensure they're still a plausible choice for WE generals.

As for being too lizard/human-ish, well that's purely subjective, and the way I see it is that it's a unit's background that makes it characterful, not it's statline. So changing their stats around to make them more effective and fitting with their new background doesn't bother me at all.

For the record this is all pure speculation.

Quercia
06-04-2005, 17:58
Quercia, a pretty good list despite it's source.

Actually, the list is from Asur, Battle Glade, and Portent (R.I.P.)

-Quercia

Kul
06-04-2005, 18:17
I don't think it's that they're not good as they are, merely that GW wants to shift their battlefield role from warmachine hunters to something more socially acceptable, like a light cavarly/flank charging unit. Much like most WE units; it's not that Warhawk Riders are bad at what they do, it's that what they do is annoying. With the shift away from skirmishing/primarily shooting to a WE take on HtH (a very good choice in my opinion), GW needs to update all our units to ensure they're still a plausible choice for WE generals.

Hmm, okay...I like the more HtH-ish style too...but I'd use them as warmachine hunters anyway..that's what terradon are for currently..

As for being too lizard/human-ish, well that's purely subjective, and the way I see it is that it's a unit's background that makes it characterful, not it's statline. So changing their stats around to make them more effective and fitting with their new background doesn't bother me at all.

Background is cool, but I ment gamewise ;)

For the record this is all pure speculation.
Yeah... I tend to forget that :P

Narandil
07-04-2005, 18:17
Release date "almost" confirmed for late July/August in U.S, roughly one month earlier in europe

Akuma
07-04-2005, 19:18
And any idea when we'll see the army box ???

Drabant
07-04-2005, 20:41
Hmm, if it's June/July in Europe, that is pretty darn soon, especially by GW standards.

Akuma
07-04-2005, 21:03
I must say that I' prete dissapointed with all those rumours and stuff. Seems like thay didn't do much to change the style of the army. Ehhh lets wait and see :(

Kul
08-04-2005, 05:48
well...there are some big changes
they are going to be much more HtH orientated..
the trees from 5th turn into forest spirits, who are half the list (instead of 2 units)
They get a complete set of new minis :D

Delicious Soy
08-04-2005, 06:06
I must say that I' prete dissapointed with all those rumours and stuff. Seems like thay didn't do much to change the style of the army. Ehhh lets wait and see :(What exactly were you expecting? Fully armoured regiments with cannons and knights in full plate? :p

Akuma
08-04-2005, 06:15
they are going to be much more HtH orientated..

I've always thought thay should be shooty guerrilla army not rank and file blocks of infantry emerging from the woods on the open battlefild.

the trees from 5th turn into forest spirits, who are half the list (instead of 2 units)

In term of units - 3 i would say - Treeman , Tree-kin , Drayds - of which drayds got such a downgrade thay will be hardly usable if nothing new happens to them - I'm also courious if thay do the same thing to the treekin - will thay be more like dryads - demonic and stuff or like treeman - smaller OR more agile trees ( with 7" M like yeats ) ??? - I don't count heres - but i'm courious how will thay do with magic items.

They get a complete set of new minis

Yeah that is one reason I'm not collecting skaven and waiting for the woodis - hope the minnis are worth waiting for thought ...

What exactly were you expecting? Fully armoured regiments with cannons and knights in full plate?

Not quite - a shooty army that goes into cc in last resort not on regular basis and has some means of dealing with armoured cavalry - and with it's own uniqe game play style.

risK
08-04-2005, 08:01
I'd expect something in the lines of

1 WE Lord, 1-2 WE Mage (if two, then one is mounted), 1 LE StandardBearer, 1-2 unit/s Archers, 1 unit GladeGuard, 1 unit of GladeRiders and the Armybook.
This is more or less for sure, but what units else will be there is rather speculative. Depending on if they want to go for mixed (WE/Forest Spirits) or WE only.

1-3 units of the following list:
TreeKin (3-5 minis), Dryads, WarDancer, Waywatchers, HawkSurfers, Swarm (?)

I do not expect neither TreeMan (as it should be giant sized, but still possible, as we don't get warmachines) nor Eternal Guard (rather too special fluffwise). And definately no WE Dragon, White Stag or Orion.

Akuma
08-04-2005, 08:24
and archers and glade guard is not hte same sbox ???

risK
08-04-2005, 09:28
Could be. I do not know

rkunisch
08-04-2005, 10:02
and archers and glade guard is not hte same sbox ???
The High Elves also have different boxes for archers and spearelves. I think it makes sense as they need a slightly different pose.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Delicious Soy
08-04-2005, 13:11
The HE archers are in a different uniform as weel because they don't come with light armour.

If they're going to have a core dryad unit then they would probably be the second plastic box. Or wardancers.

Narandil
09-04-2005, 08:31
or both (not in the same box)

Grimtuff
09-04-2005, 10:30
few more to add to the list:

tree-singing is still in the list, it is the 1st spell on the WE magic lore

Riders of Kornous (sp?) the stag riders (they were in the playtest list, dunno if they made it into the final list though) attacks count as magical IIRC

Treeman has bound spell called Strangleroots, obviously gets better if target unit/treeman is in a wood itself

WE characters (not sure if it only the spirit ones or all of them) get to have some small sprites floating with them (think like the sword gnoblars etc. for OK)

thats all i can remember of stuff that hasnt been said

Malachi
09-04-2005, 14:31
Hmm, if it's June/July in Europe, that is pretty darn soon, especially by GW standards.

I would bet my entire Wood Elf collection that this will not happen. June is still Tyranid territory, and July will probably be too. August is the absolute earliest we'll see Wood Elves in stores. Now, I know Europe usually gets stuff a little earlier than the rest of us, but I doubt it'll be that much sooner.

The High Elves also have different boxes for archers and spear elves. I think it makes sense as they need a slightly different pose.

I am inclined to agree. Glade guard and archers will most likely have different kits as they necessitate different poses, however, we all know how conservative GW can be when it needs to and they're already bitching about shelf space. I hope we get two different boxes, but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't; that silhouette’s body looks like it could be used for a spear elf as well as an archer. And yes, I know it's just a silhouette, I'm just guessing.

Whilst on the topic of models it bears noting that we were rumoured to be the first army to have all plastic units, I highly doubt it, but hey, wouldn't it be cool. Also, it's been said time and again that our core kits are going to be the most detailed ever released, and those who claim to have seen them (Engel springs to mind) say they're gorgeous. Woot!

re: Grimtuff

That all sounds very cool. If tree-singing becomes out first spell, that'd be awesome, but it's also been rumoured that it's been dropped, so fingers crossed. Stag riders have been talked about to death; refer to previous pages for the commonly accepted party line on them. And everything else seems to be highly experimental play testing stuff, and has never been mentioned before, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. Thanks for the info though.

Narandil
09-04-2005, 15:04
"I would bet my entire Wood Elf collection that this will not happen. June is still Tyranid territory, and July will probably be too. August is the absolute earliest we'll see Wood Elves in stores. Now, I know Europe usually gets stuff a little earlier than the rest of us, but I doubt it'll be that much sooner."

thats what i thought but it's been confirmed on several occasions for that date from people who have suposedly seen the list on an e-mail to a GW manager

ce83
09-04-2005, 18:13
woodies will have been announced as GW'S christmas army

Grimtuff
09-04-2005, 18:59
woodies will have been announced as GW'S christmas army

funny, I never remember Christmas being celebrated in July or WE wearing black power armour

WE army deal is out in July, 3 cell managers i have spoke to have confirmed this

oh and Black Templars for 40k are the Christmas release

wyrmling_x
09-04-2005, 20:29
Yeah, a redshirt told me the army deal was coming out in August, but until I checked here I thought he was full of it. Given the popular response of "July/August", I believe it's something we can actually look forward to.

Archangel
09-04-2005, 20:45
Hi,

Just to let you know that I wrote in to WD recently to moan about the delays with the Wood Elves. The editor replied saying that issue 307 will have the WE previews while the 'whole Wood Elf cicus' will kick off in issue 308.

Hope this helps

Archangel

Drabant
09-04-2005, 23:54
UK or US WD? Please specify since you don't have any location.

Archangel
10-04-2005, 07:26
Sorry, it is the UK WD.

Narandil
10-04-2005, 08:40
So that would be August right?

Archangel
10-04-2005, 09:57
Yes, I think it will be, so it IS a summer release and not at Christmas. It can't come soon enough, we seem to have been waiting forever.

Malachi
10-04-2005, 10:02
Yes, I think it will be, so it IS a summer release and not at Christmas. It can't come soon enough, we seem to have been waiting forever.

For some of us Summer is Christmas ;)

Stouty
10-04-2005, 10:24
You and your stupid being on the wrong hemi-sphere. The Brendt line was looking pretty damn neat until you people decided not to be a 3rd world country!

Narandil
10-04-2005, 12:33
when will we be seeing pics then?

Stouty
10-04-2005, 12:38
soon I would have thought

Rohirrim
10-04-2005, 20:37
If issue 307 is when we start seeing stuff, then with WD being finished three months before it's sent out, there might be a bunch of stuff at LA Games Day. I gotta ask a buddy what happened down there.

Kul
10-04-2005, 20:49
The coming gamesdays will have WE stuff, I guess..
they already showed a silhouet-thingie.. :D

portentjunkie
10-04-2005, 22:08
If issue 307 is when we start seeing stuff, then with WD being finished three months before it's sent out, there might be a bunch of stuff at LA Games Day. I gotta ask a buddy what happened down there.

I don't follow the wood elf rumors too closesly, so excuse me if any of this is a repeat, but I was at Games Day and saw the presentation, and they did specifiy a few things there.

On the slide about plastics releases, dryads were listed as a plastic boxed set.

The fairies of the wood elves forests are the fairies of the old dark stories, the ones that steal babies from cribs and replace them with changelings. There are small fairy creatures called spites that will be found all throughout the range, on treemen, on other models, and available to characters as upgrades similar to OK gnoblars. A couple that were mentioned were spites that swarmed around a character protecting him from magic, and others that would dart out and attack his foes.

No model was seen for the big treeman, but there was a picture in some of the concept art, and it was talked about a bit. Again, expect old dark story style treeman, not a treebeard knockoff. As he said, they now make a treebeard model, and one definite thing about the new treeman is that it will be very visually a GW treeman, unlike the old more generic ones they have made.

The magic items were stated to be carefully considered, so there would be lots of tough choices and no must haves or never takens. The hail of doom arrow is in, thought nothing would be said about it's rules.

There was probably more, but that is all that comes to mind at the moment, if anyone has any questions I'll see if I remember any more specifics.

Neknoh
10-04-2005, 22:45
It is for real!!!

The WE are comming!!!

Real pics, no silluettes, no shadows in the forrest, real pics!!!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/dhchang05/P1010002.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/dhchang05/P1010004.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/dhchang05/P1010006.jpg

anarchistica
11-04-2005, 00:02
It is for real!!!

The WE are comming!!!

Real pics, no silluettes, no shadows in the forrest, real pics!!!
Those actually...look cool...:eek:

violenceha
11-04-2005, 00:25
i like the first one, though the second has a bit of a blow up doll thing going on

Rohirrim
11-04-2005, 01:48
I wonder if those cloaks are seperate. I've been looking for some for my DoW duellists.

Malachi
11-04-2005, 03:10
Those models are good, not awesome, but good. I'm still bloody psyched to see them though!

It's probably worth mentioning that the paint scheme and the paint job quality probably detract from the models, so there's a lot of potential there!

Malachi
11-04-2005, 04:01
There was probably more, but that is all that comes to mind at the moment, if anyone has any questions I'll see if I remember any more specifics.

Sorry, completely forgot to ask in my previous post. Here's just a few burning questions, I doubt they would have answered any of these, but I'm hoping it'll spark a memory, any help you could give will be greatly appreciated portentjunkie.

Any mention of the rumoured new units? The Eternal Guard? Tree-kin?

What about our lore?

How many plastic kits will we be getting? Are archers and Glade Guard on the same kit?

Are we getting new Elven horses?

What sort of formations will we be using, anything like the Beastmen? (I know GW has confirmed we aren't getting their formation rules, but it can't hurt to ask)

Do Waywatchers really have KB?

Any confirmations of release dates?

If anyone else out there went to the seminar, could you please enlighten us, there has been a disturbingly small amount of information going around.

portentjunkie
11-04-2005, 05:18
Sorry, completely forgot to ask in my previous post. Here's just a few burning questions, I doubt they would have answered any of these, but I'm hoping it'll spark a memory, any help you could give will be greatly appreciated portentjunkie.

[QUOTE=Malachi]
How many plastic kits will we be getting? Are archers and Glade Guard on the same kit?

He didn't say much more, just what's on the slide. The glade gaurd box contains 16 models and can be made into glade gaurd or scouts.

Are we getting new Elven horses?

Yes, they have sculpted a new elven steed for the wood elves release.

If anyone else out there went to the seminar, could you please enlighten us, there has been a disturbingly small amount of information going around.

If you have seen the slides from the seminar posted earlier in the thread, you know most of what he talked about. There were some specifics not listed, and some questions asked later that he answered, but there really wasn't a lot of info given out about the wood elves.

portentjunkie
11-04-2005, 05:27
I'll point out a couple of things in the background art on :

http://www.mopreme.com/we1.jpg

since I'm not sure you would otherwise notice them in the blurry picture.

The towering dark thing in the background is a huge treeman, and if you look at the left of the center elf with the glowing sword, you can see a smaller treeman with what apears to be a rock in it's branches, ready to throw. The very bottom left forground shows a bit of a dryad.

risK
11-04-2005, 10:02
Are archers and Glade Guard on the same kit?

The archers are now a GladeGuard option, hopefully they keep spears and get mixed equipement option as well. You build scouts by using different heads, hooded ones.

How many plastic kits will we be getting?

The slide confirms at least 4 boxes: GladeGuard/Scouts, GladeRiders, Dryads and the Battalion of course. But is there anybody else, who thinks that a Battalion should have more than 3 different boxes? OK, there are 4 different units, maybe 5 if you count the possible spear wielding GG as different unit as the Archers (since they were in prev Ed.)

Avian
11-04-2005, 10:45
But is there anybody else, who thinks that a Battalion should have more than 3 different boxes? OK, there are 4 different units, maybe 5 if you count the possible spear wielding GG as different unit as the Archers (since they were in prev Ed.)
Both the Tomb King and Skaven battalions have duplicate boxes, in both cases of the type you can make two different units from.

Heck, the ogre battalion contains seven basic ogre sprues and four special sprues with equipment to let you make more specific ogre types.

I'm guessing that GW is aiming for more generic sprues that can be used for several units, the first of these being the Goblin infantry / wolf rider sprue.

lord_blackfang
11-04-2005, 14:18
Wait... aren't all 4 models on the GD pics male? Weren't we told that half of the minis would be girl elves?

Odin
11-04-2005, 14:32
Wait... aren't all 4 models on the GD pics male? Weren't we told that half of the minis would be girl elves?

Well, Tyranid models come with all sorts of extras like toxin sacs and extended carapaces - perhaps the wood elves will come with extra breasts which you can add if required. ;) After all, the only difference between a girl elf and a boy elf is whether they've got norks.

Archangel
12-04-2005, 19:14
Hi,
I've just been to the UK GW web site and guess what?? a picture of a unit of Glade Guard in their sneek peek section.
Suprisingly they are all armed with bows!!
Look like great figures. There seemed to be 16, which is presumably what you get in a box set.

Archangel

Narandil
12-04-2005, 19:16
yeah and it said that on the slides

Drabant
12-04-2005, 21:31

They look pretty male on the sneak peek. Kind of sad, I like the idea of having 50% of elven warriors being female.

Dargon
13-04-2005, 00:44
The slide confirms at least 4 boxes: GladeGuard/Scouts, GladeRiders, Dryads and the Battalion of course. But is there anybody else, who thinks that a Battalion should have more than 3 different boxes? OK, there are 4 different units, maybe 5 if you count the possible spear wielding GG as different unit as the Archers (since they were in prev Ed.)The Slide only lists the "Regiment" box sets (Plus the Battalion).

It's possible that there will be more plastic sets for the Wood Elves that don't fit the "Regiment" catagory - such as the plastic High Elf Bolt Thrower.

Weren't there persistant rumours way back of GW developing a plastic Treeman model that was highly customisable?

Just a thought...

Three Headed Monkey
13-04-2005, 02:20
The model in the far back right corner of the regiment looks female. There could be more under those helms. In fact, now that I look harder, I can see some in the front row as well. The problem is that both male and female elves have long flowing hair.

Kul
13-04-2005, 05:32
The Slide only lists the "Regiment" box sets (Plus the Battalion).

It's possible that there will be more plastic sets for the Wood Elves that don't fit the "Regiment" catagory - such as the plastic High Elf Bolt Thrower.

Weren't there persistant rumours way back of GW developing a plastic Treeman model that was highly customisable?

Just a thought...

hmm, they generally use the word regiment boxed set for plasticks..
but you might be right..
do wardancers count as a regiment? :p

risK
13-04-2005, 05:41
I thought I spotted some females as well, plastic treeman would be great (well, the Carni made it as well). Glade Guard seems to be coming in two different options, just check the GG in SneakPeaks thread...

EffCee
13-04-2005, 11:04
The problem is that both male and female elves have long flowing hair.
But only the females have breasts ;)
This clearly does not include the High Elf Shemale.

Delicious Soy
13-04-2005, 11:08
This clearly does not include the High Elf Shemale.Lacking the surgical capabilities its little wonder the HE love the magic.:p

Slyracoon
13-04-2005, 19:22
Phew, that took a while. Thirteen pages is a lot.

From what I've heard on the thread about the new archers, it looks like Glade Guard with spears have hit the road and they ain't coming back. Keep in mind this isn't confirmed, it's just what I've deduced from what people have said about the sprues and the confirmed list of plastic boxes. To be honest, I'd welcome their disappearance. I really don't think a unit of ranked spearmen fit in with the Wood Elves mythos, at least not how I picture it. Besides, I always just end up dumping them for more archers.

The only problem I can see with the WE list is that no one will take this new rare unit, Eternal Guard or whatever. I mean, usually you don't have more than two rare slots and if Waywatchers get killing blow, Treemen get an amazing new model and the Eternal Guard suffer the same sort of problems as BG and PG then no one will ever take them. The only way around it I can see is if the Treeman gets a truely gargantuan price tag, points-wise and cash-wise.

Trunks
14-04-2005, 01:35
I dunno, if you are running alot of the Dryads, Wardancers, and the "Ogre Sized Treemen", the Winterguard might be a nice unit to complement them. A nice elite close combat regiment for a close combat focused Wood Elf army.

From the rumored rules they seem to be a bit more unique than Black Guard and Pheonix Guard. Black Guard do see regular use (Pheonix Guard are rarely used though).

Winter Guard will probably be a good complement to certain style wood elf armies.

6th and Final Champion
14-04-2005, 01:53
I dont see how winter guard are elite. I mean sure they have cool weapon abilities. But their low strength kinda ruins it.

Avian
14-04-2005, 02:20
The only problem I can see with the WE list is that no one will take this new rare unit
There is really nothing that indicates that it will be a Rare unit, it might just as well be a Core unit, like Temple Guard (see!? not all Guard units are Rare)

koven_lexter
14-04-2005, 11:20
I was just wondering what the current state of rumours is regarding the rules for Dryads in the upcoming army book.

I remember reading a lot about them, but I can't seem to find it on this or any of the other threads in this forum. I think it must have been on old Portent before it died (God rest its soul). So can someone remind me what is known/rumoured about them.

Cheers.

P.S. I know about the models. I just want to know about the rumoured rules.

Sir_Glonojad
14-04-2005, 11:39
core, 1W, 1A, ranks, ward save, aspects gone. "Line" close combat unit.

adreal
14-04-2005, 12:23
i'm pretty sure i read somewhere you could purchase aspects....but maybe im wrong

6th and Final Champion
14-04-2005, 12:33
People seem to be pretty mad about this loss of aspects. Were the a very cool ability before they were taken away?

koven_lexter
14-04-2005, 13:35
core, 1W, 1A, ranks, ward save, aspects gone. "Line" close combat unit.
What do you mean by "line close combat unit"?

I had heard that they might be losing skirmish, and instead will be a normal ranked up infantry unit.

So only A 1? Will they count as having two close combat weapons (claws)?

I heard S 3 and T 4. Others something like MV 5, WS 4, I 5, but I can't remember. What about an armour save?

I remember there being lots said about them becoming more daemon-like, but do we know what exactly that means? Firstly there's the 5+ ward save Sir_Glonojad mentioned above, but will that ward save be negated by magic spells and weapons, like the daemonic aura ward save? What about fear causing, immunity to psychology, lack of command group, and worst of all instability?

I remember hearing about Dryads being core choice, but only counting towards the minimum number of cores if the general is a forest spirit type (i.e. not an elf). Any further confrimation of this?

And what about points cost. I seem to remember 13 points, but that may be my brain playing up.

So is has any of the above been confirmed/refuted?

Cheers.

Slyracoon
14-04-2005, 14:46
There is really nothing that indicates that it will be a Rare unit, it might just as well be a Core unit, likeir equipment is sound, if it isn't then all this goes out the window.
e Temple Guard (see!? not all Guard units are Rare)
Fair enough, but an elite Guard unit as a rare choice seems to be standard for elves. Plus just look at their equipment; heavy armour, shield and this wierd staff thing. Wood Elves with a possible 3+ save (in cc) strike me as a rare choice. This is all assuming that the info about their equipment is correct, if it isn't then everything is up in the air.

As for the loss of aspects, I'm really torn about how I feel about them. Or rather, I'm torn about how I feel about the shift of dryads from one of the army's heavy hitters to basic cc unit. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not too thrilled about the new ogre sized treemen. I'm reserving final judgement until I see how they're handled, however the concept just strikes me as wrong. I always pictured treemen as gargantuan (I know we'll still get a big one) and demi-treemen strike me as a bit of a cop-out from thinking up a more radical new unit.

Jedi152
14-04-2005, 15:00
People seem to be pretty mad about this loss of aspects. Were the a very cool ability before they were taken away?
You could choose a tree aspect at the beginning of each turn ... I think they were oak:all dryads get +1S +1T til end of turn, willow: enemy loses 1 attack, and i can't remember the other.

I think they should stay because it would make dryads more than just 'good demons'.

Galonthar
14-04-2005, 15:39
hmm...
about the XXL treemen..

I don`t think GW will ever give them this rule but...
woulnd`t it be cool / realistic if the ogre sized treemen gain some sort af a gore attack; throwing with enemy units (stones ar whatever), as a sort of ranged attack??...

after all it is (supposedly) REALLY big,.. so I would`t be surprised to see a treeman pickin up an enemy, and tossing it in to a hostile unit?

it would also be a solution for sieges, when the WE player needs to break down a wall...

just a thought

NakedFisherman
14-04-2005, 16:09
Aspects were some of the most outlandish special rules this side of 40K.

They really had no place in WHFB and were essentially an ace dealt to you every hand.

Glad to see them gone.

koven_lexter
14-04-2005, 16:16
I seem to remember hearing that GW said (probably at a Games Day somewhere) that they were dropping Dryad Aspects because Dryads and War Dancers were too similar. If this is indeed the reason why the Aspects are going this suggests that the War Dancers are keeping their dances in some form or another. Hence it looks like War Dancers at least are keeping their ace in the hand.

NakedFisherman
14-04-2005, 16:49
I seem to remember hearing that GW said (probably at a Games Day somewhere) that they were dropping Dryad Aspects because Dryads and War Dancers were too similar. If this is indeed the reason why the Aspects are going this suggests that the War Dancers are keeping their dances in some form or another. Hence it looks like War Dancers at least are keeping their ace in the hand.

Let's hope not.

Slyracoon
14-04-2005, 17:13
Let's hope not.
I wouldn't be so harsh. I mean, I never found wardances to be particularly unbalanced (not in 5th ed or in 6th). I'm with you on the old dryad rules, the aspects were way too good, and the idea that the wood they were made of could alter struck me as a tad odd. Perhaps a more balanced idea would be you could buy an aspect for your unit of dryads, representing what type of tree they were from or something. Oh well, with them changing into old ladies I guess we'll never know.

P.s: I know female, nymph-esque dryads is more inkeeping with general fantasy mythos, but in my opinion dryads of that type really don't belong on the battlefield. At least the old GW ones made sense ripping into the enemy in CC.

Stouty
14-04-2005, 18:29
Yeah, nymph type dryads are meant to be the ones preying on adventurers in spooky forests in d&d and what not

Sir_Glonojad
14-04-2005, 19:53
koven_lexter: I meant what You have practically already written - no skirmish, rank bonus, command group, and a cost making a block of 20-25 possible.

Of the nature of Ward Save, I do not remember anuthing but pure speculation. Still, I don't remember reading about any Armour save, so I guess they will have none (truth to be said, a possible 6+ save will mean nothing compared to 5+ Ward).

Oh well, there's a Polish Games Day in two weeks (featuring Alessio C.), maybe he'll bring some miniatures with him and will now the rules a little.

Slyracoon
17-04-2005, 18:15
I'm starting to have fears that WE might be overpowered. I know that this is really too early to be speculating, and new armies are always hyped as completely rock solid, but GW are in a position where they can't make them underpowered for fear of lynching from the legions of bark-hungry players. Now this may be me rocking the boat, but if it's a choice between an overpowered army and an underpowered one I'd choose the latter, because I want playing WE to be a challenge. I've always seen them as an expert's army, one that requires a high level of tactical finesse to be played successfully. I think losing that would be a bad thing.

Oh and I've forgotten, has it been confirmed that basic WE archers (I can't call them Glade Guard, I just can't) will skirmish?

Sir_Glonojad
17-04-2005, 18:18
Well, it'd be nice if the army was more tactically challenging to command than now, as I am a little sick with 14 yr old kiddos playing self-playing magic circus and literally stockpiling their miniatures :rolleyes: ;)

Slyracoon
17-04-2005, 18:29
Well, it'd be nice if the army was more tactically challenging to command than now, as I am a little sick with 14 yr old kiddos playing self-playing magic circus and literally stockpiling their miniatures :rolleyes: ;)
Yeah, I truely hope the Wood Lore (or whatever they call it) isn't overly strong. I don't think that in a Wood Elf army magic should be a gamewinner, because in the fluff their mages are always misdirecting and scaring intruders away from battle, and if they fail then conventional arms are brought to bear. Although if a waywatcher hero with the Hail Of Doom arrow gets 3D6 killing blow shots then I don't think mages will be the no-brainer...

(I know it sounds like I'm moaning about all sides of the argument, I'm not. It's just I want to look at both the worst case and best case possible.)

boogle
17-04-2005, 18:32
I'm starting to have fears that WE might be overpowered. I know that this is really too early to be speculating, and new armies are always hyped as completely rock solid, but GW are in a position where they can't make them underpowered for fear of lynching from the legions of bark-hungry players. Now this may be me rocking the boat, but if it's a choice between an overpowered army and an underpowered one I'd choose the latter, because I want playing WE to be a challenge. I've always seen them as an expert's army, one that requires a high level of tactical finesse to be played successfully. I think losing that would be a bad thing.

Oh and I've forgotten, has it been confirmed that basic WE archers (I can't call them Glade Guard, I just can't) will skirmish?
Re WE Archers skirmishing, i got the impression no, due to fact that would make them too similar to Beastmen (albit shooty rather than fighty), and they have said similar styles, but not exactly alike

Slyracoon
17-04-2005, 18:35
Re WE Archers skirmishing, i got the impression no, due to fact that would make them too similar to Beastmen (albit shooty rather than fighty), and they have said similar styles, but not exactly alike
That's good, seeing as they don't get the shooting penalty for moving. Being able to move 10" a turn and still shoot at full efficiency would mean they'd be nigh on uncatchable.

Sir_Glonojad
17-04-2005, 18:38
IIRC, the boxed set is officially described as "Glade Guard or Scouts", where Glade Guard includes current Archers. Chances are that the Scouts, being plastic, will be Core, though I have no knowledge to support the claim.

Dargon
18-04-2005, 00:00
IIRC, the boxed set is officially described as "Glade Guard or Scouts", where Glade Guard includes current Archers. Chances are that the Scouts, being plastic, will be Core, though I have no knowledge to support the claim.And, since there is no rumoured box set of "Archers", it definately looks like the Glade Guard and archers have been merged into a single unit (further supporting the idea of Core Scouts).

Since the Glade Guard are pictured ranked in every illustration (all two of them ;) ), it's pretty safe to assume there will be no Skirmishing Archers. It's also safe to assume from the pictures that the 5-man minimum unit size is also gone.

I suppose there is the tiniest possibility that the Scouts could start without the ability to scout, effectively starting as Skirmishing Archers, with the option to upgrade them to scouts in exactly the same way as Empire Huntsmen... though the thought of a unit of "Scouts" that doesn't always scout is a little too... odd.

Just a thought...

conanabass
18-04-2005, 03:44
so does anyone have confirmation pertaining to the spear armed glade guard being gone. I've read the entire thread and I was somewhat confused as to the answer.

skavenguy13
18-04-2005, 17:17
I just figured I'd show you the glade guards, if they weren't posted here yet.

glade guard sneak peak (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/michelst_a/gladeguard.jpg)

EffCee
18-04-2005, 18:11
Sorry, but that was posted a few days ago. Still, nice to see em again. I just wish GW would hurry up and show us some more instead of those bloody zombie pirates. :mad:

skavenguy13
18-04-2005, 19:52
. I just wish GW would hurry up and show us some more instead of those bloody zombie pirates. :mad:

This may sound unfair to you, but I think it's bad they do WE now. They spend a lot less time developping the ogres, the gnoblars and the Lustria stuff.

I still hope you like the models

Sir_Glonojad
19-04-2005, 10:39
Well, until we see the sprues we can't say for sure whether the spears are in or out.
I promise I'll try to ask Alessio about it on Sunday, provided I get pardon from the painting contest I am helping to run.

Galonthar
20-04-2005, 07:41
hmmm....

I don`t know how you guyz think of it,... but I sort of pity it that the spears will maybe leave,..
Imknow the WE are a shooty / ranged race, but now what will become our elven cc-core unit?, glade riders? (+-20 pts cav as standard cc core? :eek: )
or will those dryads become our only cc-core? (I want fighting elves!!:P)

btw,,... there`s all the talk going on about the glader guard and if they are archers, or not... But has any1 here heard anything about the new glade riders?, like if they also have those freaky face-things?,... or if GW has deleted their spears too?...

just a thought

boogle
20-04-2005, 09:41
maybe the Forest Guardian unit (dryads) will be the core CC unit

Slyracoon
20-04-2005, 19:19
maybe the Forest Guardian unit (dryads) will be the core CC unit
That's the word on the grapevine, apparently it will be possible to do an entirely tree spirit army with Dryads as core, Tree-Kin as special and Treemen as rare. From the looks of things, Dryads are the basic CC units for woodies and spears have probably been dropped.

Galadrin
20-04-2005, 23:08
I'm starting to have fears that WE might be overpowered. I know that this is really too early to be speculating, and new armies are always hyped as completely rock solid, but GW are in a position where they can't make them underpowered for fear of lynching from the legions of bark-hungry players.

Excuse me, what? How many bark-hungry people are there again? Alright, everyone who owns a 5th Edition Wood Elf book or older, raise your hand..

Trust me, the Wood Elf players are not legion and GW is selling the WE book to a more or less new crowd (there are old WE players, but GW is banking on lots of new ones, not on bringing the few old ones back). Furthermore, don't worry about an army being overpowered. We don't know what the units do, or what all the units are going to be, or what the options are or what their stats are. You were absolutely right, it is waaaay too early.

Three Headed Monkey
21-04-2005, 01:51
As well as a completely spirity army, an army consisting of notheing but wood elves is rumered to be possible, so there pretty much has to be some sort of cc core elf infantry. Just because you have not seen it yet does not mean it isnt there.

Dargon
21-04-2005, 02:23
As well as a completely spirity army, an army consisting of notheing but wood elves is rumered to be possible, so there pretty much has to be some sort of cc core elf infantry.Not necessarily, since we know the Wood Elves will have combat options in the Wardancers and this Winter Guard (or whatever their called) unit. It all depends what GW have in mind for the Wood Elves style of play.

The Wood Elves might be a shooting force with combat support.
While the Tree Kin might be a combat force with perhaps shooting support.

We'll have to wait and see, but at this point all options are possibilities.

Just a thought...

Joraal
23-04-2005, 01:57
I wonder if there'll be any advantages in fielding an all-spirit or an all-elven army.

Gorog Irongut
23-04-2005, 07:57
Excuse me, what? How many bark-hungry people are there again? Alright, everyone who owns a 5th Edition Wood Elf book or older, raise your hand..

Trust me, the Wood Elf players are not legion and GW is selling the WE book to a more or less new crowd...

Wood Elf players are legion, they just got tired of being called cheesy/beardy for fielding their army and left it in the case. Seriously, there are more Wood elf players out there than you think. My army has been retired for quite a while as has the armies of most of my friends. I agree though that they are trying to sell to a new market (only makes sense).

Forest Lord
28-04-2005, 05:57
undefined

I heard about the new "surfing" warhawk riders and I liked the idea. Its a lot more interesting and cool looking than having them sit on the necks of the warhawks. I have them kneeling on one knee and shooting their bows downward. I think they look pretty cool. I will paint one up and post it on here

Aeris Green Finger
28-04-2005, 11:10
. My High Elves...might not make it :p . exactly what im thinking

Urban Cowboy
02-05-2005, 22:24
So the Forest Spirit army will be all metal? or will Dryads be plastic. I have seen a Metal champion which leads me to believe the former. It's a shame, Forest Spirits are looking just like a 5th Daemon Army.

EffCee
02-05-2005, 22:55
According to the slideshow at some event or other, the Dryads will be plastic. Perhaps the Dryad 'Champion' is a hero level character. :confused:

Crazy Harborc
03-05-2005, 00:16
For ease of assembly, I prefer plastic to metal. For me, it's easier to paint plastic minies.

The irony?..........GW's plastic minies cost more than several companies charge for metal minies. Setup costs (for the machines needed) is higher for plastic minie making. HOWEVER, the molds last much, much longer, THAT means a lower manufacturing cost. Those machines are used for years, pop out the old molds and pop in the new.

Aeris Green Finger
03-05-2005, 05:51
So the Forest Spirit army will be all metal? or will Dryads be plastic. I have seen a Metal champion which leads me to believe the former. It's a shame, Forest Spirits are looking just like a 5th Daemon Army.
wrong le champion is actualy the hero so the rest of the dryads will reman plastic as earlier thought

Crazy Harborc
05-05-2005, 23:16
IMHO, it will serve Chaos and VC players right IF Woodies are well suited to smashing those magic gorged armies. Understand, I fully realize the players are just using what GW has provided in the way of stats and special deals. It does suck when one army has 6 power dice and the other can't have more than a max of three dispel dice. THAT was in a 500point to start campaign.