PDA

View Full Version : [Epic] Infantry base sizes

CELS
28-09-2006, 11:12
Hey guys,
I'm soon starting to assemble my first Epic army, consisting of a lot of tanks, some titans, and a couple of platoons in valkyries. Anyway, the thing I've never liked too much about Epic is that the infantry bases put infantry in neat lines, like they're in some Napoleonic war. Even by 40k standards, this looks unrealistic to me.

As a remedy, I'm considering glueing together two bases for each unit, which allows me to position the models on a bigger surface, so I can have two models in front and three behind, or vice versa. I have a hard time accepting that my elite stormtroopers will storm out of their valkyrie transports and then form neat lines as they infiltrate enemy territory.

Now... what I need to know is whether or not this will have a significant impact on the game? Will it give me a great disadvantage as I'll be much more vulnerable to blast markers, or perhaps a huge advantage in close combat or something? I have no idea. Please help.

Grimtuff
28-09-2006, 11:25
It's perfectly legal game wise (check page 10 of the rulebook). Hell, the first example given of BT Termies is on the base you describe making.

I mount mine on 2p coins (a 25mm circle) and nobody has complained. Ever :p

So I really don't see this having a huge impact on the game.

CyberShadow
28-09-2006, 12:44
The base issue is something that has been debated at great length in general. The conclusion of all of this is that there are advantages (assaults) and disadvantages (barrage templates) to larger bases. In the end, these pretty much cancel out, so go ahead with it.

Alternatively, many players use Warmaster bases, which are a nice size for more diorama in your units.

Hena
28-09-2006, 14:43
Rulebook wrote in 1.1.2, p.10

1.1.2 Stands
As previously noted, a unit can be a single vehicle model,
or a stand made up of several very small models grouped
together and glued to a small base. Stands usually
represent things like infantry, where moving the
individual models round on their own would be very
fiddly with Epic scale models. All the models glued to a
stand count as a single unit as far as the rules are
concerned. The size of a stand and the number of models
glued to it are left pretty much up to the player to decide
within the following limitations:
- A stand may be no more than 40mm and no less than
5mm across in any direction.
- A stand must be at least 20mm across in one direction
(ie, a 5mm by 5mm stand is not allowed, but a 5mm by
20mm stand would be okay).
As long as you fulfill those directions, you should be fine.

orangesm
28-09-2006, 15:48
And as long as those are followed we do not care, more epic players is always a good thing.

Persephone
28-09-2006, 15:52
Nice bases, I also like the assault cannon conversion.

CELS
28-09-2006, 23:59
Thanks guys, that was really helpful. Especially since I haven't bought the rulebook yet. Anyway, now I can rest in peace, knowing that my stormtroopers will advance in style!