PDA

View Full Version : Miniature Cases

Drabant
01-04-2005, 15:25
I've been looking for a good carry case for my miniatures. And there seems to be some ok ones out there. However, buying them imported here usually costs a lot, and ordering them from the net often requires strange payment methods (In other words, they won't let me pay with a credit card).

So, now I'm looking at Sponge Transport ( http://www.intersponge.com ), and it looks pretty ok. Anyone had any experiences with it, or with other cases? The standard pallet has a cell size of 25mm, roughly the width of a 40k base. Will this be too small for 40k models?

Also, if you know about other cases, preferably ones that I can order from Europe, with good pricing etc etc. General tips welcome. :p

Opus T. Penguin
01-04-2005, 16:29
The best cases I've seen for when you absolutely do not want to risk the figures getting damaged by an external force (and this includes hitting the pavement at over 60mph/100kmph -- not kidding as a friend of mine had a couple of these fly off his motorcycle on the freeway. Hit several cars, probably got run over a few times, but when he retrieved it the case was just badly scuffed and the worst repair he had to do to the figures inside was to glue a couple of plastic arms back to the metal figures) are the Chessex figure cases. They won't work for any vehicle larger than a jetbike, but they are the only truly secure solution I've found.

The GW and most gun cases will have there latches pop in extreme situations and then it's all over for the contents. Soft cases are right out.

wldside
01-04-2005, 16:29
I'm not sure about ordering them in Europe, but if you can I highly recommend the Skirmishpack and/or Battlepack from Charon (www.battlepack2001.com). I have 2 standard Skirmishpacks and 1 deluxe Battlepack and they're great. I will admit the Battlepack is a bit awkward but when you consider how much stuff it can hold it's understandable. In mine I have 6 tanks, 2 sentials, 2 dreds, 140+ troop size mini's, 4 bikes, 2 landspeaders, 3 heavy weapons teams and 8 Grey Knight termi's, and it's still not full nor is anything smashed up next to anything else :D .
Another option that I've seen many people recommend are the Sabol Army Transports. While I personally don't like them I have several friends who swear by them. I'm pretty sure the Army Transport is available in Europe although I can't be certain on that nor do I have any idea on pricing.

Konrad_Curze II
01-04-2005, 18:02
yeah i hav a skirmish pack they are very good.
however you need more layers for them as they move around a bit.

inquisitorautry
01-04-2005, 22:14
I personally a big fan of the Sabol cases. Many different sizes (the platoon transport is stackable) and many sizes of foam. Haven't had one fly off on the highway yet though. http://saboldesigns.net/index.php

EVIL INC
01-04-2005, 23:07
Armytransport.
Fully customizable. Might very well be better out there, but its what I like.
http://www.newwave.org/minis/accessories/armytransport/
This shows a little more of how they operate.
http://www.saboldesigns.net/armytransport.html

mostholycerebus
01-04-2005, 23:37
Personally, I find it cheaper and easier to make my own case. I have a nice aluminum briefcase now that holds my whole army. That, and some egg-crate foam does me fine. My next case will probably be a Pelican 1510 carry-on case filled with pluck foam. Waterproof, dustproof, crushproof, shock resistant, it even floats and has a convinient wheely handle. Pelican has a few stock photos with an SUV parked on one of their cases, which are designed for taking delicate tools into rough fields. The 1510 is available oline for about $100.

HalberdBlue
02-04-2005, 00:36
I will put in a recommendation for GW's case if you are looking for easy to buy. When I bought it it was only $35 US IIRC I think its $50 now but it was easily the best $35 I ever gave GW. Since I play Warhammer I assume there is somewhere near you that sells warhammer stuff so they should carry it. It doesn't have all that much room unless you want to sacrifice safety for room. I once transported 200ish infantry models in it because I had to move, and had several broken models. I can fit my usual 2000 point Necron army which doesn't have a Monolith in it inside of it comfortably if that tells you anything. By comfortably I mean only 1 model per slot.

If it is possible for you to get it, I recommend the Army Transport from Sabol. It has like 3 times the room of the GW case and doesn't cost that much more, and has room for all of your books and dice and such, which is really nice. Still can't transport a Monolith but thats ok because with the GW case I had to balance my Monolith and rulebooks on top of the case and with the Army Transport I have an free hand to hold it with.

But there is nothing wrong with the GW case unless you play a horde army.

GuardianoftheFlame
02-04-2005, 04:03
I personally used an old typewriter case which held 8 inches of foam and all my books safely, it was a pain in the rear end to carry around though. Now I use the Army Transport from Sabol and I love it. I have plenty of room for all my conversions to be safely stored and transported.

BullBuchanan
02-04-2005, 06:34
crystal caste BattleHive2 by far for 100 bucks you essentially get a hard cased trunk two feet long 10 inches wide and 12 deep. for an extra 15 bucks you can customize your foam sizes for a total of 11 inches. Foam is available in 1,2,3, and 4 inch increments and each piece has removable squares for complete customization. you can order right from their website with Credit crad i believe. www.crystalcaste.com or you can go through www.discountrpg.com and you'll get 20 percent off, but wont be able to get customized foam(can buy seperately)

Hope this helps

Thalisahis
02-04-2005, 06:47
I just use the Gameswork Shop minature case, it onlt has slots for troops but you can 'shape' them (cut pieces out of it) so you can fit pretty much all types of models on them.

Evilmerlin
02-04-2005, 18:36
2nd(or 3rd) that recommendation for the Charon Productions Scout Pack and Skirmish Pack. Really good stuff.

Drabant
04-04-2005, 10:38
Thanks for all the tips. I'm still undecided though, so I'll have to give it some thinking.

Imbroglio
04-04-2005, 10:56
I use a Sabol Army transport, and it's the best hobby imvestment I've ever made. Sure, they are a little pricey, and It's difficult to get hold of the trays in the UK, but I haven't yet had a single model break in there, not one.

If you're in the US, buy from the Warstore... and if you're not... well buy from the Warstore, and close your eyes when you pay the shipping.

-- Imbroglio

Bruen
04-04-2005, 17:43
I have recently bought a Super case from http://www.figuresincomfort.co.uk/super_ultimate.htm

I am really happy with it.

wldside
04-04-2005, 20:03
I have to admit that those figures in comfort cases look nice, a little pricey but what isn't these days. The main problem I have with them is that the shipping for me would probably be more than the product costs, given the size of the cases and the fact that I live in the USA. But if I lived in the UK I'd probably be picking one up.

Bruen
04-04-2005, 20:39
I have to admit that those figures in comfort cases look nice, a little pricey but what isn't these days. The main problem I have with them is that the shipping for me would probably be more than the product costs, given the size of the cases and the fact that I live in the USA. But if I lived in the UK I'd probably be picking one up.

Its the same situation for us in Europe, there are some nice cases that are sold in the US but its impractical to import them. There used to be a reasonably-priced importer of Battlepacks in the UK but he hasn't had any in stock for months.

sigur
05-04-2005, 10:32
I've got a question refering to this "Super Ultimate" mini case (link (http://www.figuresincomfort.co.uk/super_ultimate.htm)): Does it come with foam trays or do I have to buy them seperately?

bladestalker
14-04-2005, 18:52
I'm not sure about ordering them in Europe, but if you can I highly recommend the Skirmishpack and/or Battlepack from Charon (www.battlepack2001.com). I have 2 standard Skirmishpacks and 1 deluxe Battlepack and they're great. I will admit the Battlepack is a bit awkward but when you consider how much stuff it can hold it's understandable. In mine I have 6 tanks, 2 sentials, 2 dreds, 140+ troop size mini's, 4 bikes, 2 landspeaders, 3 heavy weapons teams and 8 Grey Knight termi's, and it's still not full nor is anything smashed up next to anything else :D .
Another option that I've seen many people recommend are the Sabol Army Transports. While I personally don't like them I have several friends who swear by them. I'm pretty sure the Army Transport is available in Europe although I can't be certain on that nor do I have any idea on pricing.

Glad you like the cases. :) We can ship direct to Europe it's $86 CAD for postal and takes 25+ days. We can also ship UPS and that's just over 120 CAD.

We've also started a new website www.charonproductions.com and we are running a special to clear some old stock. these are our delux skirmishpacks that were over ordered by a UK gaming club back in 03'. They've been sitting around teh warehouse for well over a year so I want them OUT OUT OUT! They are $70 CAD (about $57 USD) a $65 discount! and come full loaded with foam.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
14-04-2005, 21:06
Ive been using the gameworkshop case but i am seriously thinking of buying a charon skirmishpack, the b one, the one that holds like 8 vehicles, for my guard army. I was just wondering, how much bigger is it than the GW case? It seems to be about twice as long and the same height, but im not sure. I dont want something huge and bulky, just something that i can carry around and yet keep all my models safe and secure and unbroken.

bladestalker
15-04-2005, 16:18
our delux skimirmishpack will hold up to 10 slotted foam trays with are teh same dimensions as GW 'orange' foam trays. Our slots are slightly bigger that GW's so you only get 32 per tray not 36.

Anyways... the Delux Skirmishpack is 3 and a 1/3 times the size of the standard GW (3 tray) case.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Night429
15-04-2005, 17:37
There was a time that GW sold separate foam inserts that fit in standard plastic double pistol cases (about the same size as their current figure case, but with space for the handle cut out). I still have a few of these cases. Does anybody know where I can get inserts for these anymore? GW stopped selling them when they started selling their current figure case.

Thanks

bladestalker
15-04-2005, 17:47
you could buy ours. they fit.