PDA

View Full Version : Battle Report Software?

Lumpsack
17-10-2006, 21:10
Hi guys,

What software do you guys (or White Dwarf if you happen to know) use for doing the battle reports?

I'm thinking maybe visio, but the shapes would need creating unless theres some out there.

Cheers,

Lumpy...

Kamarathin
17-10-2006, 21:24
It looks more like Photoshop or some derivative thereof, to me.

Lumpsack
17-10-2006, 21:33
I'm not sure - could be I guess, but I meant the battle reports with boxes, symbols, direction arrows etc (like page 44 of WD 321 - the free mini battle for skull pass one)

TheWarSmith
18-10-2006, 15:02
My friend uses Powerpoint.

Oberon
18-10-2006, 16:04
Powerpoint would be excellent! With some time used to make them, it could be used to do animated turns, imagine those blocks moving around and disappearing when they are destroyed! We tried that the last IT lesson we had. I'll give that a try sometime...

Kamarathin
18-10-2006, 16:08
Actually, Power point sounds great...I'm going to look into that as well.

Lumpsack
18-10-2006, 17:26
Powerpoint... I'll give that a go - I was looking about for icons last night with no joy, however I did find a warhammer battle mod for Civ IV that may have some useful graphics :)

Kamarathin
18-10-2006, 17:57
I have a friend that has done up a few graphics for me, I think I'll tap him again. Is there any particular format that PP needs/prefers?

Oberon
18-10-2006, 18:12
Simpliest would be taking paint or something, and then just drawing the required blocks. Then save them somewhere, add a backround colour to the slide, choose that template thingy in which you can add pictures, choose those blocks you drew, and voila! Hmm... Does PP actually have the kind of template actually capable of handling so many pictures? I've used a template of four once... There of course might be another way, I have played with PP for three hours thus far :

EDIT: JPG is good format, I think.

Lumpsack
19-10-2006, 16:52
Aye, JPG would probably be best - from what little exposure I've had to PP I'm not that keen.

I tried out the Warhammer CivIV mod and while its damn good, its missing alot of unit, most notably Dwarves which is what I need mine for :(

Wonderdog
19-10-2006, 17:47
The best application for drawing battle reports is without question Adobe (Formerly Macromedia) Fireworks 8.0

Its Vector based, so you can drag, drop and scale your units, arrows etc from turn to turn, and has some easy and powerful drawing tools to draw terrain and units with.

I have created an entire Spacehulk battle report vector set using Fireworks for the next issue of Firebase - its an incredibly powerful yet easy to use program for this kind of thing.

See below for low res sample of what can be done in a little time -
http://www.t3chsupport.com/downloads/inprogress2.jpg

#Wonderdog

Lumpsack
19-10-2006, 19:01
Thats good - did you do all your own gfx?

Lumpsack
20-10-2006, 16:59
Okay then, next question - do you guys know of a good place to find warhammer fantasy icons (as I can't draw for toffee!)

Kamarathin
20-10-2006, 17:04
I'll eagerly awaut this answer myself for the same reasons.