PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else dislike the new Tyranid Hive Tyrant?

salty
02-04-2005, 17:57
I personally don't like it. The ehad looks wrong for me, and the return of the hand gripping a flat ended sword is really weak...
I preferred the Tyranids with hands/fingers that biologically merged with weaponry. It looked far better.

Opinions?

Salty :)

plasmadaemon
02-04-2005, 18:08
i like it, but only because i got connections with it.
:eek:

sulla
02-04-2005, 18:16
I think it's gorgeous...brings back memories of the original. The 3rd edition one was poor IMO...it stole too much from the alien films and ignored the very good model already in existence.

Asher
02-04-2005, 18:19
I like it far better than the old one. It looks more massive and more dangerous. The sword seems a little bit out of place, but you can always give it other weapons. But the new idea behind the tyranids appeals to me. It seems that all nids have evolved from a basic type (the gaunt) into the thing needed. Therefor the Hivetyrant, new Fex and new Guard have some simmilarities with normal gaunts.

Xhalax
02-04-2005, 18:19
I kinda like it....though its not nearly as beautifully lovely as the Forge World Winged Tyrants.

Zechs
02-04-2005, 19:39
I prefer the current one, I find it more menacing! The new one looks like a big genestealer, maybe a stealer patriarch.

zealousheretic
02-04-2005, 20:16
People keep getting hung up on the bonesword (which GW is showing off because it's new), and ignoring what I'm rather excited about: those very cool-looking scything talons we've seen on the Resin Master model.

I like the new tyrant a lot; it looks tougher and more solid, but the real reason is hard to articulate. I just like the way it looks.

I've been playing Tyranids since 2nd edition; that might have something to do with it. The "Alien Queen" Tyrant never really grew on me.

The Undying
02-04-2005, 20:29
I hate the new HT. The old one looked like a giant beast able to kill anything. The new one is like a retared man, or elephant man! But anyway, it holds its weapons, its head is more of a mutant looking one than an alien one.

Strikerkc
02-04-2005, 20:39
I hate the new HT.

Ditto. It's one of the most hideious models I've ever seen. I was debating doing a small Nid force, but GW put an end to that by makeing the HQ of the army look worse than a RT Eldar.

Coppertop
02-04-2005, 21:19
amen

4th ed. bugs in general are pretty nausea inducing (exeption: lictor) as they have reverted back to 2nd ed., which are just wrong in so many ways. The hive tyrant has completely lost his look of leader for the bugs. Now he's just a really big brute as opposed to being the eyes and ears of the hive mind on the battlefield, able to think and lead. He had the look of something to be wary of not only in hand to hand, but in a game of chess too. He's been totally reversed, and brought down to a slobbering relay for the thoughts of the hive mind.

On a slightly seperate note, the lightning rods on his back are horrendous, the goatae and horn look stupid, the bonesword and lashwhip are gigantic mistakes, and the arms are completely stupid. The body and legs are alright, and I can live with those, but I still think I'll go to forgeworld for my tyrant.

Inflammable
02-04-2005, 21:47
I really like it, it's one of the reasons I'm finally gonna start an army. That army being Tyranids ofcourse.

I believe the current codex says that using older versions of a model is entirely appropriate because they evolve all the time and don't leave the old ones behind. Something like that anyways. So I don't see why you don't just ignore the 4th edition one and use your 3rd edition one.

Eversor
03-04-2005, 10:32
It makes me tingle with a perverse need to own it. So that probably indicates me liking it. To each his own. If you don't like it, don't buy it...

Akuma
03-04-2005, 11:03
I like it muche better then that old drone queen one :/ but i wander if wings are on the spour and how will he look with them :confused:

Inflammable
03-04-2005, 11:07
What if there is a winged one cooking, we just don't know about it?

Wishful thinking :p

salty
03-04-2005, 12:49
Hmm, it would appear that I am part of a minority who hates it then...

I jsut really don't like boneswords, they look wrong. Although the new Tyrant Guard looks better than the old one, if a little akin to the 3rd edition Biovore.

Karhedron
03-04-2005, 15:17
I like the overall look but the big horn on the nose looks out of place to me. I don't play Nids but if I did I would remove that before I started painting.

malika
03-04-2005, 15:23
I like the new Nids, give me that 2nd edition feel again *nostalgia*, Im not too fond of that giant nose horn thing though and the colour scheme kind of bugs me.

But I think GW have kinda moved back in time with the 40k timeline, hence the more 2nd edition look I think :)

Thalisahis
03-04-2005, 15:23
I think it's ok, I don't see anything wrong with it but I don't play with 'Nids so I wouldn't know. :D

salty
03-04-2005, 15:28
Its just the damned bonesword!!! I keep having horrible flashbacks of the old Tyranid Warriors from Space Crusade or the 2nd Edition Nids!

The 3rd Edition HT looked truly menacing, except for his cheesy grin...

Brimstone
03-04-2005, 15:33
Its just the damned bonesword!!! I keep having horrible flashbacks of the old Tyranid Warriors from Space Crusade or the 2nd Edition Nids!

And what's wrong with that :p besides you don't have to use the bonesword. It's effects are mainly psychic I believe.

I don't think a flying variant is planned, the scupting on the back looks like it precludes it.

The 3rd Edition HT looked truly menacing, except for his cheesy grin...

That's where I'd have to disagree with you, the 3rd edition Tyrant IMO was poor compared to the 2nd edition one, it was very derivative and the model in general was a step back in quality.

I like the new one a lot although I'll be removing the head horn if there isn't a optional head in the box.

Narandil
03-04-2005, 15:35
i love it, though i slightly dislike the lictor

salty
03-04-2005, 15:38
Really? You like the old Space Crusade models? To be honest, I think they're hideous, same goes for most of the 2nd edition nids.

I really liked the 3rd edition Nids and was going to get them. The I changed my mind because of the new Zoanthrope and bought some more Orks instead :D

I just think most of the 2nd edition models were, generally, poor. Although the Space Marines and Ork vehicles weren't too bad.

salty
03-04-2005, 15:39
i love it, though i slightly dislike the lictor

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike all the new Nids. The Lictor, Zoanthrope and new Tyrant Guard are all cool.

Brimstone
03-04-2005, 15:51
Really? You like the old Space Crusade models? To be honest, I think they're hideous, same goes for most of the 2nd edition nids.

I really liked the 3rd edition Nids and was going to get them. The I changed my mind because of the new Zoanthrope and bought some more Orks instead :D

Of the 3rd edition metal Tyranids I really only thought the Zoanthrope and Biovore were an improvement over their 2nd edition counterparts.

The plastic warriors and gaunts were a vast improvement it goes without saying.

Both the 3rd edition Tyrant and Carnifex are pretty poor compared to the menace of the 2nd edition ones IMO.

Darkness
03-04-2005, 16:01
I'm agreeing with Brimstone there except for the Carnifex model, which I thought was a great improvement (Except for the grin, obviously :D) - We'll just have to wait and see if the Carnifex is any better, though from what I've heard, it damn well is.

On the subject of the Hive Tyrant, I've gone from hating the new model, to loving it. It really fits the look of a Tyrant well, and looks pretty massive, as it should be. The 2nd edition Tyrant was better than the current one, so it's good to see GW going back (or forward...) to the better model.

salty
03-04-2005, 16:05
I hope it is a better model, as I didn't like the new one. That was the only 2nd edition Nid that I liked.

EffCee
03-04-2005, 17:12
Personally, I really like it. The current one looks like an Alien Queen that auditioned for AvP and didn't get the part. This one actually manages to look malevolent rather than IQ of 8. Maybe this is because I think that Mark Bedford should have not been allowed near a project like this until he improved his craft, but that's another thread.
The only thing that I am not too keen on is this new colour scheme.

Later Taters!

Black Ambience
03-04-2005, 17:40
It makes me tingle with a perverse need to own it. So that probably indicates me liking it. To each his own. If you don't like it, don't buy it...

I can relate to that. I decided to check out the Sneak Peeks one afternoon and there it was. I was sorely tempted to give up the C'tan and return to the Hive Mind. That's never happened to me before...

TheSonOfAbbadon
03-04-2005, 17:44
Everyone who hates it says 'It's disgusting' or 'I feel sick from looking at it' well guess what? THEY'RE MEANT TO DO THAT!

You don't expect them to be nice and fluffy, THEY'RE 20 FOOT TALL MAN-EATIN' BUGS FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Strikerkc
03-04-2005, 18:20
Everyone who hates it says 'It's disgusting' or 'I feel sick from looking at it' well guess what? THEY'RE MEANT TO DO THAT!

Their obvoiusly not suposed to look atractive or cute, but they're not suposed to look like slow, pondering, inflexible crabs. ;)

The 3rd eddition tyrant looked awesome, was very posable, leant itself to great conversions, and looked like a lithe, efficiant, killing machine.

The new one looks like it will suffer from something simmilar to "dreadnought syndrome" ("Stand up damn you! Stand up so I can reach you!").

The Undying
03-04-2005, 18:43
The second edition big monsters looked like crabs. The 3rd edition HT was, is the best HT model (well, not counting forge world).

TheSonOfAbbadon
03-04-2005, 18:44
The 3rd eddition tyrant looked awesome, was very posable, leant itself to great conversions, and looked like a lithe, efficiant, killing machine.

The new one looks like it will suffer from something simmilar to "dreadnought syndrome" ("Stand up damn you! Stand up so I can reach you!").

Good thing Dreads are plastic and have bases now, well, some of them do...

Toda
03-04-2005, 20:34
Ditto. It's one of the most hideious models I've ever seen. I was debating doing a small Nid force, but GW put an end to that by makeing the HQ of the army look worse than a RT Eldar.

If you still want to do some nids I might sell ya one of my 3rd ed tyrants.

I don't really love the 4th ed model but i'll get one just to have all three editions. (being a fig collector and all) :cool:

Oblivion
04-04-2005, 03:24
I dont really care that much about the new hive tyrant. While it does look good i think ill stick to my forgeworld one. :D

Yog Sogoth
04-04-2005, 08:58
The first army I started was a second edition tyranid/ genestealer cult list.
Naturally Ií am totally pleased to see a return to the second edition style tyrant. I think every second edition tyranid looks better then their third edition counterpart. True, the third edition warriors and gaunts have more detail than the second edition models, but the second edition models were more visually interesting.

I hate the whole "all tyranids should look similar" school of thought that came around with third edition. I find that some what contradictory to the fluff of tyranids being *constantly* evolving bio-engineered warriors.

He's been totally reversed, and brought down to a slobbering relay for the thoughts of the hive mind.

Isn't that exactly what the hive tyrant is supposed be? A big powerful bug capable of channeling the hive mind and staying alive?

On a slightly separate note, the lightning rods on his back are horrendous, the goatee and horn look stupid, the bonesword and lashwhip are gigantic mistakes, and the arms are completely stupid. The body and legs are alright, and I can live with those, but I still think I'll go to forgeworld for my tyrant.

I agree with the goatee and the rhino horn sucking, those can be easily chopped off and filed down however.

I don't think people see the bonesword and lashwhip for what they are. Look to nature and you'll see all kinds of weird adaptations. Aquatic animals like jellyfish with their stinging tentacles (lashwhip) or horse shoe crabs with their stiff bony tail (bonesword). As for the tyranids holding there weapons with hands I can think of a few reasons for that.

1. Tyranids are more adaptable with hands instead of giant scythe arms. Who doesn't like opposable thumbs?

If a weapon symbiot (bonesword, lashwhip, venom cannon ect.) is damaged in battle or runs out of "ammo" the tyranid can simply shed the weapon and still retain usefulness with that limb. The symbiot can be replaced later, probably easier than regenerating an entire limb.

2.Weapons can be mixed and matched. How convenient would it be for a soldier to have a magnum for a hand? What if he needs a different weapon, or has to use the telephone?

I like the weapon interface that third edition brought, the weapons look truly symbiotic now. Thatís about the only thing I liked about the third edition tyranids.

I always envisioned tyranids lining up in some dank innard of an even bigger beast, receiving there weapon symbiotes in some adjoining chamber. Everything pulsating and covered in slimy goo. The whole scene could be played out in some ones intestines in fact and look somewhat like what I'm trying to convey.

I see tyranids as bioengineer soldiers, not animals. I think third edition created this whole different perspective on the tyranids that made them all the same, boring IMHO. Now that I see a return to the second edition archetypes Ií am incredibly pleased.

...but hey thatís just me, to each his own.

Forgotmytea
04-04-2005, 09:56
I hate to go against pretty much everyone, but hey....

I hate all the new tyranids - rules, models, biomorphs, everything. Give me the old rules and models any day. Due to the new rules, I'm now giving up my Tyranid army in 40k. Shame - I loveed their current incarceration, but the new one just looks c**p... :mad:

Salty, I'm with you on this one. :)

The Undying
04-04-2005, 11:14
@Yog- The Tyranids are their own ammo so throwing down a weapon would prove useless. Also, since when has a 'Nid needed to use a phone?

salty
04-04-2005, 11:32
Salty, I'm with you on this one. :)

Glad to hear it.

@Yog - Like Undying said, Tyranids are their own ammunition so how would they run out?

Yog Sogoth
04-04-2005, 18:31
Glad to hear it.

@Yog - Like Undying said, Tyranids are their own ammunition so how would they run out?

Tyranids are not there own ammunition. The weapon symbiot is exactly like a gun, just made of organic components. It has a chamber to produce and house the ammunition in, a barrel, an interface ect. I was under the impression that the weapon symbiot's generated the ammunition somewhere inside the actual weapon. It's certainly possible for it to be damaged to an extent where the ammunition producing part stops working, or maybe it just runs out of energy to produce more ammunition. Either way.

Tyranids don't need to use phones, that was a joke. I'm just saying not having opposable thumbs can put you at a dissadvantage. Having hands instead of sword arms makes you much more adaptable, something the tyranid fluff stresses heavily.

Scythe
04-04-2005, 19:24
The new Hive is ok in my opinion. The bone sword and lash whip look ugly as hell and very un-tyranid (say what you will, but a nid grabing a sword just feels wrong for me; imho they should have left the bone sword dead or made it really different), but fortunately I'm not limited to that weapon combination, and the scything talons look quite nice. The horn on the nose isn't brilliant either, and I'm not completely sure about the back of the Tyrant, but a little conversion should take care of that. Add to that a whole new paint scheme (any scheme looks better than the albino one), and you've got a nice model I think. It requirs some work, tough.

salty
04-04-2005, 20:04
I think that, had the new HT got scything talons instead of a lash whip and bone sword, and the stupid goatee and horn were lopped off, and the colour scheme changed (perhaps to the 3rd edition red and beige one?) then it would look okay.

Its not as nice as the 3rd edition one, but, in retrospect, I suppose it could be sorted out with a little conversion.

Strikerkc
04-04-2005, 20:56
If you still want to do some nids I might sell ya one of my 3rd ed tyrants.

Hehe. It may be posible to salvage the new HT, or heaven forbid I'll grab one off of you guys. The army was goig to be heavily converted any ways ;) (Something had to happen to the bugs on that hive ship the Iron Warriors infected with the oblitorator virus :cool: )

Wraith
04-04-2005, 22:24
I think that, had the new HT got scything talons instead of a lash whip and bone sword, and the stupid goatee and horn were lopped off, and the colour scheme changed (perhaps to the 3rd edition red and beige one?) then it would look okay.

Just use one of the new 'Fex's heads and his scything talons.

After looking at the 'Fex heads the neck seems at the right angle to fit the Tyrant.

Delicious Soy
05-04-2005, 06:27
I like it far more than the 3rd ed one, which sucked compared to the 2nd ed one as far as I'm concerned. Whats funny is the same reasons people liked it (lithe body, the head plates) are the reasons I hate it. Its meant to be a large frontline Hivemind control centre, rear areas are for the dominatrixes and zoanthropes.

pnweerar
05-04-2005, 09:31
We hates it. We will keep our old preciousses.

salty
05-04-2005, 10:02
hmm, where can I get a link to the new Fex Wraith? I haven't seen it yet (although I am eagerly anticipating it; if its good, Nids could well be my fourth 40k army)

Scythe
05-04-2005, 10:25
As far as I know, there's no picture of the new fex available yet (only it's shadow), but there are some pictures of nid heads within the rumour roundup which are supposed to be the new carnifex heads.

salty
05-04-2005, 10:34
hmm, I thought that was the case, as I ahve yet to see any sneak peeks of the new Carnifex. I hope it is more 2nd Edition though, thats the one Nid from 2nd Ed. that I actually liked.

Wraith
05-04-2005, 10:51
A picture of the 'Fex doesn't exist at the moment but pics of the heads do exist as well as a couple of silhouettes (one with a gun the other with crushing claws both with scything talons).

It doesn't look second edition and it doesn't look third edition - it seems to be entirely new for fourth edition.

Scythe
05-04-2005, 10:53
Well, it seens to be a lot bigger and hunched over at least... I doubt it will look much like the 2nd or 3rd edition one. Then rumours are that the diversity is endless with the fex, with multiple options for back, head, weapons, pose etc. We just have to wait I guess...

Mr_Rose
05-04-2005, 11:01
Gobbo, whist I understand that you may not like the new aesthetic, how can you hate the new rules, being as how they are essentially identical to the old ones only less confusing and with more choice?
Besides, nowhere is it written that you have to use Cthulu head 'stealers, the new HT or any of the other "new" rules... Especially if you have an old 'nid army which you can (probably) use with no modification.

PS I voted for the new HT. But since he's so big I will also be using my rebased second ed HT as a broodlord, maybe...

salty
05-04-2005, 11:07
I haven't seen the new HT rules, and never said I don't like them (how could I having not seen them?). I just don't like the new HT model; it looks too... I dunno, wrong.

The boyz
05-04-2005, 11:22
I have to agree woth you Salty it does look a bit wierd. I'm not t sure about the new Lictor aswell I think that looks a bit rubbish aswell.

salty
05-04-2005, 11:37
I quite like the new Lictor, but it is ruined by the dodgy new colour scheme.

The boyz
05-04-2005, 11:58
Yeah I am not to keen on the new colour scheme aswell.

Wraith
05-04-2005, 14:40
Bah... the new Lictor sucks as much as the Brood Lord and we've seen the Lictor in two different paint schemes.

Scythe
06-04-2005, 06:38
The Lictor looks nice enough.... the brood lord tough will require some serious conversion I'm afraid. Still, I'm looking forewarth for the nid releases.

salty
06-04-2005, 07:08
I agree with you there Scythe, the broodlord is nasty.
In my opinion he should have looked more "Genestealery", some kind of mini Tyrant controlling all of the smaller broods, and acting as a relay point for the HT's messages.

Jedi152
06-04-2005, 07:08
All i can say is ... its ok.

I just really thought GW had got over the 'Whips and Swords' of 2nd ed. A 3rd ed feel of a savage alien killing machine is more the way i see the nids, not pseudo space warriors with swords etc.

Scythe
06-04-2005, 07:12
Yes, they could have hinted the genestealer link more. Also, the scything talons as middle limbs look horrible. Talons should always be the top 2 limbs in my opinion, were the lenght and reach of the talons is really optimized. Now they look like limbs only added to fill the 6 limbs requirement of Nids. The head also looks quite odd. However the limbs can hopefully be easily swapped. I think the model has some potential, but currently it looks awefull.

salty
06-04-2005, 07:18
I agree, swapping the talons shouldn't be too much trouble. I hope that they make a Genestealer Patriarch (and a good one at that!) because I love the very alien feel of the 'Stealers. To have some powerful overlord of the Genestealers, someone like them but bloated and intelligent (not to mention psychic) would be great!

Scythe
06-04-2005, 08:29
And a whole genestealer cult list, complete with new hybrids in various levels, etc etc.

Ahh, we can all dream can we? :D

salty
06-04-2005, 09:37
*drools*

Genestealer cults have so much potential! They could rake in more money for the GW coffers, and providem players with a new and interesting army list.

I suppose thats just GW logic for you though... ("hmm, should we make a new Genestealer cult army list, or an Ogre army list for fantasy... Lets do the Ogres!")

DV8
07-04-2005, 13:31
I will have to disagree with the new hate forming against GW's newest Hive Tyrant. Granted, there are certain features about the model that I do dislike (yech at the bonesword), but the fact that they have managed to make an army that looks like it morphed from the same gene-pool, but at the same time maintaining the Hive Tyrant's presence on the battlefield, deserves props. :P

You have to admit tho, the Zoidberg-esque genestealers make the army worth it. Imagine charging in with dozens of these suckers and yelling with exuberant joy: "WhoopWhoopWhoopWhoopWhoopWhoopWhoopWhoopWhoop!!"

DV8

Inflammable
07-04-2005, 20:39
You have to admit tho, the Zoidberg-esque genestealers make the army worth it. Imagine charging in with dozens of these suckers and yelling with exuberant joy: "WhoopWhoopWhoopWhoopWhoopWhoopWhoopWhoopWhoop!!"

DV8

You're my hero.

Mr_Rose
07-04-2005, 21:19

DV8

Yeah, but just one generation ago, they'd have been Cthulhu-stealers and would have marched solemnly into battle chanting "ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" in deep and sonorous voices...
Next thing you know, someone's going to give them wings ;)

New Cult King
08-04-2005, 07:39
I absolutely adore the new Tyrant, Tyrant Guard, Lictor and Stealers. Brilliantly done. I'm unsure of the new Zoanthrope - I'm a big fan of the 3rd Ed one, but I don't think it's terrible. I like the whole floating brain thing they have going on.

I can't wait til the big gribblies are released, and I'm dying to see the new Carnifex.

Scythe
08-04-2005, 10:29
I'm really wondering if they supply a head with feeder tentacles with the new carnifex. The upgrade would be really worth it for a fex, especially with the increased number of attacks it could get now.

Delicious Soy
08-04-2005, 12:27
Speaking of the carnifex, looking at the silouhette, it appears to me that its body just between the leg and upper carapce is ludicrously small. Like 'thats going to be a bitch to pin and keep together' small.

Yorkiebar
08-04-2005, 17:33
Other than the zoanthrope, I love all the 4th edition models seen so far. It's the carnifex I'm really worried about. I hated both the 2nd and 3rd edition models for it.

On another note, is anyone going to buy the new '8 for £15' genestealers? I personally know I'll just stick with the cheaper old models and sculpt any biomorphs I want to add rather than pay almost £2 per plastic model...

Scythe
08-04-2005, 17:38
Speaking of the carnifex, looking at the silouhette, it appears to me that its body just between the leg and upper carapce is ludicrously small. Like 'thats going to be a bitch to pin and keep together' small.

Well, it's plastic, so keeping the thing together won't be such a problem I expect.

On another note, is anyone going to buy the new '8 for £15' genestealers? I personally know I'll just stick with the cheaper old models and sculpt any biomorphs I want to add rather than pay almost £2 per plastic model...

Yup, I am. They might have gotten more expensive but the look and the amount of bits I get from the box makes them worth it for me.

salty
08-04-2005, 19:02
Nah, I won't be buying any Tyranids. Although, come to think of it, I may get a few and convert them using the Bugs from the new Starship Troopers game...

Now THAT would be cool!

Nazguire
09-04-2005, 00:19
I love the new Tyrant, I was a fan of the 2nd Edition and this one is a step up. I like it how it isn't a leader primarily there for fighting but looks like it can lead as well. The 3rd Edition model looked like a kid in a bad Aliens outfit.

The new Lictor looks great, really gives you the image of a bad assed scout that isn't afraid to engage the enemy too :D

I'm probably going to be lynched for saying this but I also like the new albino paint scheme... :D ***ducks for cover***

TheSonOfAbbadon
09-04-2005, 01:56
I don't know what people mean by the albino paint scheme :(

Nazguire
09-04-2005, 02:17
I don't know what people mean by the albino paint scheme :(

Being the bright white and pink and purple paint scheme ;)

Black Ambience
09-04-2005, 08:02
Such as the colour scheme seen here on there Genestealers (http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/40948988.jpg). Personally, I think the colour scheme is growing on me. Very alien and unnatural.

Azroth
09-04-2005, 08:10
I hate the new Tyrant as I feel it's a HUGE step backwards. The head spike looks silly, and I won't even start on the head spike and the other stuff.

Scythe
09-04-2005, 09:42
I love the new Tyrant, I was a fan of the 2nd Edition and this one is a step up. I like it how it isn't a leader primarily there for fighting but looks like it can lead as well. The 3rd Edition model looked like a kid in a bad Aliens outfit.

Interesting; I find it just the other way round... the large head crest from the 3rd edition one really made it look like it knows what it is doing, while the smaller head makes the new 4th edition one less a leader and more a fighting nid...

salty
09-04-2005, 14:20
I agree Scythe (hence why I started this thread) but I have come to the conclusion that it could be rescued with a little conversion work; old head and arms, new body etc.

Tom
09-04-2005, 20:59
old head and arms, new body etc.

Just wait until they show off the new Scything talons. Those look badass as all hell.

Warlord Gnashgrod
09-04-2005, 21:57
I myself preferred the 3rd Ed version which looked like the Alien queen. It just looked cooler and more dangerous to me.

=][=Danek=][=
10-04-2005, 09:01
I dig everything about it but the Bonesword.I agree that the weapon should be biologically merged.
Personally,I think the nids in general are going in a good direction,design-wise.Not only do they not look like Giger rip-offs,but the are starting to share more physical similarities.They just seem to tie together better.

Jmitchell
15-04-2005, 22:11
Not good, hate it etc...

Many problems that are not helped by paint scheme shown on GW site. But, main problems are the sword which makes little sense, prefer idea of large rending talons, NOT a tyrant mindlessly bashing on the side of a tank, but piercing through to get at the gooey inhabitants more easily! :p

Also the vein makes it look as though the hives evolved to suffer stress induced illness much more and soon all nids will have a stroke and collapse!

In addition to these arguments, its carapace looks to be accesoriesed by the tyrant, not biological, but as if it can change its outfit to armour different areas!

In all i am not a fan of any of the tyranid range, and think it was a poor effort overall, ignoring what nids do best... slice through things!

VERDICT: Guilty, of crimes against eager gamers :(

Steel Rabbit
16-04-2005, 08:21
I'm the most nostalgic 40K player there is I still play 2nd Edition (My favorite), so naturally I like the new Hive Tyrant. I liked the old one as well but the new one is also cool. By the by, where can I see the pics of these new 'nids? And does anyone have pictures of the Tyranid Army Box?

Jmitchell
16-04-2005, 08:26
Go to GW official website and look under 'news' section. Near bottom is sneak peek of most new nids.

Army box picture is on the GW online store front for 40k.

Scythe
16-04-2005, 09:19
I'm the most nostalgic 40K player there is I still play 2nd Edition (My favorite), so naturally I like the new Hive Tyrant. I liked the old one as well but the new one is also cool. By the by, where can I see the pics of these new 'nids? And does anyone have pictures of the Tyranid Army Box?

The rumour roundup in the 40k rumours forum also has some pics of new tyranids in it.

Draconis
16-04-2005, 21:37
I loove the new range. They have uniformaty. Not too mention the new zoanthrope looks great. And by the way, the new Tyrant does still meld with the weapon. Look closely.

Nazguire
17-04-2005, 02:54
I myself preferred the 3rd Ed version which looked like the Alien queen. It just looked cooler and more dangerous to me.

Complete with the pearly white smile :D

Hard to be scary and looking dangerous when you grin beautifully at the enemy :p

The fact that it looked like the Alien Queen was a bit of an off-putter for me. It seemed as if GW ran out of ideas and decided to just utilise every idea made by Giger.

Adept
17-04-2005, 03:41
The new one, to me, looks to upright and humanoid. It also looks like it'll be harder to do a good chop-job on the pose. The 3rd ed one was very much (when well posed) a scuttling monster. Completely inhuman and alien. The new one has arms. The old one had limbs. The new one walks. The old one lumbers. The new one is Humanoid, the old one is Insectoid.

The differences are small, but they are there.

psyco1234
17-04-2005, 04:27
I am really quite fond of the new one (having put one together now)...at the start i HATED it....but it seems to grow on you quite instantly...

the new one is MASSIVE...its a bit taller than the old one but really beefed out (makes the 3rd ed one look tiny. and it comes with scything talons as well as the bone sword(which will make a great manreaper for my DP)...to see a picture, and help with the colour scheme, go find it in P&T....I have a marine standing next to it for scale.

my only gripe is the head...it looks to human IMO

salty
17-04-2005, 09:17
I have only seen the picture, perhaps when I (finally) see it up close and personal, and with a better colour scheme, I will like it more. Though I doubt it, unless they've swapped the bonesword for scything talons...

Scythe
17-04-2005, 09:23
Agreed. There's no way I'm gonna give my Tyrant a bone sword no mather what the rules are. It just looks way too... ugly.

boogle
17-04-2005, 09:25
i like the Bone Sword idea to be honest, its a nice hark back to 2nd ed

salty
17-04-2005, 09:28
I know, I know, most people seem to like it. I just hate it though. I don't like the way they hold weapons, they looked better as symbiotic weapons.

Scythe
17-04-2005, 09:35
The idea is nice, but the representation model wise is just wrong... Tyranids don't hold swords; they should grow from the body.

lord_blackfang
17-04-2005, 09:52
I love it.

Funny how apparently the biggest beef with people who don't like it is the fact that it looks less like an escaped xenomorph and more like the rest of the Nids.

salty
17-04-2005, 15:39
The idea is nice, but the representation model wise is just wrong... Tyranids don't hold swords; they should grow from the body.

Thats what I think too. Oh well; I dunno what I am ranting about really coz I'm not going to buy it even if they make it into a super-cool 3rd Edition version :D

Flame Boy
17-04-2005, 16:14
I can't stand the current HT, im my opinion it just looks lanky, top-heavy and it looks like it could barely support the weight of it's head...

I'm glad the new Hive Tyrant is more of a fusion of the 2nd edition model with the current Gaunt models. I am also glad there is a bonesword in the range again. it did take away from the psychic domination of the Tyranids when the Tyranid version of a force weapon was reduced to a huge chunk of chitin (I liked the talons visually, but it lost an aspect of the 'Nids).

As for complaints about the Bonesword, put it this way, the Hormagaunt is a small critter with one goal in life, to plunge a series of long talons into whatever it doesn't like the smell of, and then probably drops dead and gets eaten by other 'Nids when it's high metabolism wears itself out. They jump at their prey and sink talons into them, pouncing is how they attack, it doesn't matter if they die, so it doesn't matter that there's not many ways it can attack. On the other hand, the Tyrant needs a weapon that it can use to protect itself and launch varies attacks with. It can use a Bonesword to chop, hack, parry, stab, or crush people with the flat part of the sword. With talons it has much less variation in it's potential attacks. I know a Tyranid isn't likely to evolve the ability to start fending (including a cute little mask to fit over it's drooling maw), but it's more likely to keep the Tyant alive.

I know if I were given the choice I'd take a large sword over a spear duct-taped to my arm any day. It's simply more likely to keep you alive, and a synape creature has a reason to stay alive, unlike the Hormaguant, who can pogo around with those nasty little talons with his 400 friends, where stabbing straight forward means you won't poke your buddy's eyes out by accident.

I'd say the talons would be better at piercing armour, but the bonesword should give the Tyrant more attacks or better WS or something like that.

Anyway, I agree with Brimstone, the old Screamer Killer was a seriously good model. I would know, I'm painting one up as a current project. I'd like to get my hands on another and convert it a little to make it a hybrid of the 2nd ed and 3rd ed styles. I love the shrieking face, with the cold, spiteful eyes, the rows of teeth, and the squat, powerful hooves trailing muscle mass and other assorted biological stuff inside the knee joint. I'd like to give it 3rd-edition style talons and repose the legs slightly to make it look less static, but otherwise I'm happy with it. I can't wait to see what the new one will be like.

salty
17-04-2005, 16:19
I've just seen a converted one in painting and terrain and that is very nice (scything talons instead of that ugly bonesword!).

Apparantly its not a lost cause after all!

Lord_Sanguinius
17-04-2005, 17:56
I hate them. its ugly and its hard to kill.

Scythe
18-04-2005, 18:31
@Flame Boy

Well, a hive tyrant who stands 4 times the height of a space marine will have not that much to parry anyway. Just slice them to bits while the enemy flees around aimless. Small opponents (say 95% of his opponents) don't pose that much treat. Scything talons just kill easier, and an opponent isn't a tread if he's dead is he? Plus the talons look way better... ;)

Thats what I think too. Oh well; I dunno what I am ranting about really coz I'm not going to buy it even if they make it into a super-cool 3rd Edition version :D

I've already reserved the army deal, and will probably buy a carnifex or 2 as well. I'm really starting to thing my nid army might grow too large. After my new additions, I think I'll hit the 5000 pts mark rather easily...

I only need some forge world stuff...

salty
18-04-2005, 18:40
Why, how many points do you get in the army box roughly? Or do you have some old ones too?

And, while I agree that the new Tyrant would have to kneel to hit stuff, I think that it should be big. If it aint big and gribbly, its just not that scary.

No-one want to see a Marine sized Tyrant :D

Scythe
18-04-2005, 18:50
I've got 2 hive tyrants already (one with wings), so the army deal would give me 3 in total. The army box will be close to 1000 pts (rough guess), but I'm intending to add some carnifexes and maybe some extra stealers as well (and probably a converted brood lord). Since I already have about 3500 pts of nids, my total should hit the 5000 pts limit...

Eversor
18-04-2005, 19:10
<snip> Since I already have about 3500 pts of nids, my total should hit the 5000 pts limit...
That means you're one eighth done. Isn't the goal of every player to have a 40,000 point army ;)

Scythe
18-04-2005, 19:35
Aargh, just how many gaunts should I have to paint for that? The 100+ I painted currently took ages already...

Ohh well, maybe when I'm old and grey I do acctually have a 40.000 pts Tyranids army... :D

methoderik
19-04-2005, 20:22
It is Okay, I think I will keep the ones I have though.

The pestilent 1
19-04-2005, 23:07
i prefere the melding thing too.
not that i care, only want one tyrant and ive got the big guy.
the zoanthropes however, im pissed about.

salty
20-04-2005, 09:30
Yeah, the Zoanthrope should have legs. It was possibly the only 2nd Edition model I though looked okay. And maybe the Stealers too.

I just don't like the way the current one floats is all :(

Scythe
20-04-2005, 10:20
Are you serious? I think the 2nd edition zoanthrope model was horrible. The 3rd edition one is my favorite, very alien looking and a really psychic appearance. The 4th edition one doesn't look that bad either, but still, it's hard to come close to the 3rd edition one.

Flame Boy
20-04-2005, 20:39
Well, a hive tyrant who stands 4 times the height of a space marine will have not that much to parry anyway. Just slice them to bits while the enemy flees around aimless. Small opponents (say 95% of his opponents) don't pose that much treat. Scything talons just kill easier, and an opponent isn't a tread if he's dead is he? Plus the talons look way better... ;)

The problem being that the way the scythes grow out of their hands, it would look awkward to actually do that slicing... it looks like they wold be better at stabbing out in front of the model, so unless your enemy is kind enough to stand in nice rows and wait for your tyrant to turn them into a shish kebab, they really don't seem to kill easier to me... :p

To get a nice sweep the Tyrant would surely have to turn it's whole arm sideways and sort of flap it's arm outwards like a demented chicken. Sure, they look cool when you imagine those massive talons impaling a rhino APC, but I'm not sure how you'd hurt the small guys with them easily compared to a sword-like weapon. :confused:

salty
20-04-2005, 20:57
@Scythe: I don't like the whole floating, shrunken limbed appearance of the 3rd edition one, I reckon the old on'es legs with the 'head' of the new one.. Very Cool.

@Flame Boy: A bonesword would be held up at about the same height as the Scything Talons, so would suffer from a similar problem. And when I imagine a HT killing stuff, I always pictured it stabbing out wherever possible, impaling things on those massive claws, then ripping them clear again quick as lightning to eviscerate something else.

Scythe
21-04-2005, 08:14
The problem being that the way the scythes grow out of their hands, it would look awkward to actually do that slicing... it looks like they wold be better at stabbing out in front of the model, so unless your enemy is kind enough to stand in nice rows and wait for your tyrant to turn them into a shish kebab, they really don't seem to kill easier to me... :p

To get a nice sweep the Tyrant would surely have to turn it's whole arm sideways and sort of flap it's arm outwards like a demented chicken. Sure, they look cool when you imagine those massive talons impaling a rhino APC, but I'm not sure how you'd hurt the small guys with them easily compared to a sword-like weapon. :confused:

That's just the way the talons are posed on the model. If posed correctly, the can look like they sweep trough ranks. However the standard GW models make it look like they can only slice down with them, and not horizontally.

@Scythe: I don't like the whole floating, shrunken limbed appearance of the 3rd edition one, I reckon the old on'es legs with the 'head' of the new one.. Very Cool.

I just can't imagine a proper zoanthrope with legs... A walking zoanthrope just feels... wrong...

But that's just my opinion.... :p

salty
21-04-2005, 09:23
Well, they're supposed to be from Eldar stock, and they walk, so why shouldn't a thrope? ;)

KhornateLord
21-04-2005, 09:23
I thought the 2nd ed Carnie and Tyrant were better than the 3rd ed one, and i like the new models. The current tyrant guard i REALLY didn't like.

I think they borrowed to much from Aliens. Sure the alien was a smart, lithe, killing machine. But if anything i think the new one is just as dynamic. The back of it kinda reminds me of unit01 from evangelion (anime) which is another cool giant destruction machine. Yeah, the swords a bit weird, but its growing on me. I agree the goatee is a bit off.

Black Ambience
21-04-2005, 22:08
Well, they're supposed to be from Eldar stock, and they walk, so why shouldn't a thrope? ;)

Because the Tyranids take everything that the Eldar are and improve upon it, add in thousands of other species psychic characteristics. The Zoanthrope is the ultimate extension of the Eldar psychic potential (as far as genetic templating allows - onbiously training and exceptional individuals are not accounted for). The Zoaththrope is an Eldar psycher but without the limitations that come with being an actual Eldar.

THAT is part of what makes the Tyranids such a terrifying (and original) concept once you start to really understand them - they are so much more than a faceless horde of killers bred to tear up prey. They are the ultimate fate of all evolving life - the ideal that all evolution aspires towards. It's almost beautiful in concept!

The pestilent 1
22-04-2005, 00:00
you could just imagine the hive mind "greeting" its prey psychicly...
"we are the tyranids. your biological distinctiveness shall be added to our own and improved upon.
resistance is futile."

actually. it is kinda beutiful, a noble goal... minus the universal expunditure of life leastways.

Nazguire
22-04-2005, 02:26
Because the Tyranids take everything that the Eldar are and improve upon it, add in thousands of other species psychic characteristics. The Zoanthrope is the ultimate extension of the Eldar psychic potential (as far as genetic templating allows - onbiously training and exceptional individuals are not accounted for). The Zoaththrope is an Eldar psycher but without the limitations that come with being an actual Eldar.

Question for Tyranid Bio-Lore constructs, do the Zoanthroapes benefit from powers of foresight. Being one of the Eldars main racial psychic characteristics, would the Zoanthroapes also benefit from it?

Lord Tyran
22-04-2005, 05:57
Take Wing my Monkeys...

Scythe
22-04-2005, 17:31
Question for Tyranid Bio-Lore constructs, do the Zoanthroapes benefit from powers of foresight. Being one of the Eldars main racial psychic characteristics, would the Zoanthroapes also benefit from it?

Who would know? (it's not like we can ask them ;)) Maybe, maybe not. It's quite likely they do tough. However noone will know for sure. Keep in mind tough that altough the throapes have eldar DNA, they are still but an extension of the hive mind. If they can benefit from foresight, so can the whole hive.

actually. it is kinda beutiful, a noble goal... minus the universal expunditure of life leastways.

Indeed. There will be no more suffering and everyone will be united (litterally) when the Tyranids have swept the galaxy clean. Ahh, join us... you know you can't resist... :p

The pestilent 1
22-04-2005, 22:08
i joined the nids way back when.
my first army where the lil bugs :)

Nazguire
23-04-2005, 00:08
Indeed. There will be no more suffering and everyone will be united (litterally) when the Tyranids have swept the galaxy clean. Ahh, join us... you know you can't resist... :p

I think the appeal of being united is lessened somewhat by having to be turned into organic soup first ;)

Scythe
23-04-2005, 10:23
Ahh, but we all have to bring sacrifices do we? :D

Back on the original subject, there's now a pic of a tyrant with an alternative color scheme and weapon combination available on the advance order, like pointed out in another tread.

Hive Tyrant (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110106040&orignav=10)

salty
23-04-2005, 14:23
Now THAT is bootiful...

It just looks so much more menacing

The Judge
23-04-2005, 21:10
Have you seen the one with scything talons and gun? Its beautiful!

I guess the haters here don't like the carnifex either...would you prefer the grinning beast of...something or other....

New Tyrant:Awesome

The pestilent 1
23-04-2005, 22:21
Have you seen the one with scything talons and gun? Its beautiful!

I guess the haters here don't like the carnifex either...would you prefer the grinning beast of...something or other....

New Tyrant:Awesome

new tyrant: holding a sword.
new tyrant: looks like a grunt rather than a leader.
new carnifex: growing on me.
new zoanthrope: is about an inch from getting me to replace my current ones.
new tyrant guard: oh how i hate them.

Nazguire
23-04-2005, 22:35
Ahh, but we all have to bring sacrifices do we? :D

Back on the original subject, there's now a pic of a tyrant with an alternative color scheme and weapon combination available on the advance order, like pointed out in another tread.

Hive Tyrant (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110106040&orignav=10)

Ahhhh much better. Instead of the playschool colours they go for something more mean and nasty. Now if only the carnifex was painted in a similar way we'd be set. Now the Hive Tyrant looks a lot better as you can pick out the details easier and see the inner workings of the bug.

MoRmEnGiL
24-04-2005, 04:00
i really like the 3rd ed hive tyrrant A LOT..what can i say..i'll never like the new one as much but i might get used to it..i think.. :P

salty
24-04-2005, 13:19
@The Judge: Actually, I hate the new Tyrant but love the new Carnifex. Its very... nice :D

Words fail me here.

Leviathan
24-04-2005, 15:05
Hello,

IMO, the new nid models are a vast improvment over their 3rd ed counter parts.
The biggest leap forward 3rd ed nids made were the new plastic gaunts and warriors. They are beautiful plastic kits and will long survive the test of time I think.

The rest of the range, well, I origionally thought they were great, but once the shiney and newness had worn off it struck me that they had lost something since 2nd Ed.
The 2nd Ed metals, especially the tyrant, fex and lictor, had a certain sense of brilliance about them regarding their alien nature, they looked like 40K aliens rather than total rip offs of other alien species we see in popular culture.

This was the downfall of 3rd ed nids IMO. The tyrant especially smacked of souless copying and lacked a creative intent that the origionals had.
As a result I feel the other nids in the range, built around the look and style of the tyrant, suffered too- putting big teef and rediculously over sized claws on them did little to improve this, and even made it worse when you consider the idiot grins alot of the range seemed to have.

Thankfully, GW have learned the folly of their ways and instead of relying too heavily on outside non 40K sources, they have turned back to the origional ingenuity of the 2nd Ed range for insperation- which is great IMO and can only add to the uniquness of the 40k universe.

The new tyrant is awesome- it builds upon the 2nd Ed model, which was fanatastic for its day, and brings it up to date and evolved.
Ditto for the Carnifex, now thankfully minus one stupid grin, and to an extent the lictor aswell- although the 2nd Ed lictor still holds strong in my opions. That was a DAMN good model.

The 'thrope has taken steps too- although its 3rd Ed counterpart was on of the few I still actually like.
The Tyrant Guard have also come a long way, once GW released themselves from the 'OMGWTF?SpaceMarineDNA?!!11!' notion and actually started thinking about the purpose of the model.

All in all, a huge improvement on 3rd Ed I think, the nostagia of the 2nd ed models, their soul, or soulessness as may be the case, is there in the updates.

The urge to buy these models is strong in me now.
Me being a tight **** student, that can only be a god thing :p

Black Ambience
24-04-2005, 16:07
Hello,

IMO, the new nid models are a vast improvment over their 3rd ed counter parts.
The biggest leap forward 3rd ed nids made were the new plastic gaunts and warriors. They are beautiful plastic kits and will long survive the test of time I think.

The rest of the range, well, I origionally thought they were great, but once the shiney and newness had worn off it struck me that they had lost something since 2nd Ed.
The 2nd Ed metals, especially the tyrant, fex and lictor, had a certain sense of brilliance about them regarding their alien nature, they looked like 40K aliens rather than total rip offs of other alien species we see in popular culture.

This was the downfall of 3rd ed nids IMO. The tyrant especially smacked of souless copying and lacked a creative intent that the origionals had.
As a result I feel the other nids in the range, built around the look and style of the tyrant, suffered too- putting big teef and rediculously over sized claws on them did little to improve this, and even made it worse when you consider the idiot grins alot of the range seemed to have.

Thankfully, GW have learned the folly of their ways and instead of relying too heavily on outside non 40K sources, they have turned back to the origional ingenuity of the 2nd Ed range for insperation- which is great IMO and can only add to the uniquness of the 40k universe.

The new tyrant is awesome- it builds upon the 2nd Ed model, which was fanatastic for its day, and brings it up to date and evolved.
Ditto for the Carnifex, now thankfully minus one stupid grin, and to an extent the lictor aswell- although the 2nd Ed lictor still holds strong in my opions. That was a DAMN good model.

The 'thrope has taken steps too- although its 3rd Ed counterpart was on of the few I still actually like.
The Tyrant Guard have also come a long way, once GW released themselves from the 'OMGWTF?SpaceMarineDNA?!!11!' notion and actually started thinking about the purpose of the model.

All in all, a huge improvement on 3rd Ed I think, the nostagia of the 2nd ed models, their soul, or soulessness as may be the case, is there in the updates.

The urge to buy these models is strong in me now.
Me being a tight **** student, that can only be a god thing :p

You've summed it all up very well for me I think. I cannot think of a model in the V4 range that is not an improvement over the V3 range.

The main bone of contention seems to be the Tyrant - I guess it's a case of "fan of the original version" or "fan of the Alien Queen version". That, and Bone Sword bias... :p

Scythe
27-04-2005, 13:44
We also have a carnifex in alternative colors available now; check the link if you haven't seen it yet.

Carnifex (http://uk.games-workshop.com/download/popup.htm?/tyranids/carnifex/images/thornback.jpg)

It is armed with crushing claws, scything talons and regeneration and looks quite amazing, easily the best fex I've seen so far. Also check the rest of the GW site; contains sprues, notes etc.

Carnifex notes (http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranids/carnifex/1/)

Adept
27-04-2005, 14:20

Well, the lictor has only really undergone minor detailing and posing changes from edition to edition. No totally re-designing changes made to it.

But as for the hive tyrant and the carnifex: Are you for real? The 2nd edition models were AWFUL! Genuinely terrible models.

putting big teef and rediculously over sized claws on them did little to improve this, and even made it worse when you consider the idiot grins alot of the range seemed to have.

The idea of the gigantic fangs was good. The implementation was, well, not so good.

I can imagine the brainstorming session for the 2nd edition bugs -

"Hmm. It'll have to have hands, so it can hold all it's cool weapons! And legs! But and we'll have to make everything OUTRAGEOUSLY proportioned, to make it more ALIEN!"

"Yeah! And we'll make the Carnifex look like a constipated hippie in bell-bottom jeans (http://www.geocities.com/war40000nf/images/pics/ty1.gif)!"

Those models were truly terrible. Truly. If anything, the new 'big' bugs are based off the excellent warrior models.

daemonhuntermoe
28-04-2005, 01:13
The new bug's are freaking AWESOME! I just hope that there's been a change to the Carnafax's profile. BS 2 is annoying. The models are so hideous, but only a look you can't resist having your oponent looking at a Carnafax w/ a bloodstained carapace, acid coming out of it's mouth and pretty spikey. PLUS IT'S PLASTIC!

I'm saving up to get my bug's army (it numbers over 200 models) w/ the present dex. 192 spinegaunts are AWESOME. I'm doing this EVEN before I get my hand's on Lizardmen.

@adept: yeah, the 2nd Ed. bug's really did stink. What an improvement eh?

Eversor
28-04-2005, 01:47
I can imagine the brainstorming session for the 2nd edition bugs -
<snip>
Those models were truly terrible. Truly. If anything, the new 'big' bugs are based off the excellent warrior models.
Hilarious brainstorming that ;) But I for one love the older tyranids. The Carnifex has some issues, sure, but it looks like a massive hulk built for tipping over tanks. Which is just what it was/is...

As a side note, it was also released during the Rogue Trader days, to complement the plastic tyranid warriors of that day. Stand it next to a squad of those and you'll see more similarities than with the 2:nd edition warriors.

I have to say I like the newer carnifexes as well, but I won't throw my old ones away...

Thousandth Son
28-04-2005, 02:05
Well, as it has been said throughout this thread, I think that the new Tyranid Models are pretty darn snazzy, except perhaps the Brood Lord, it looks very static, and lame at that. But to each his own...

gLOBS
28-04-2005, 05:16
Well with the right hacking and sawing I think the brood lord shal make good model heh.

AngelofSorrow
28-04-2005, 05:33
Its so awful the old Hive Tyrant
is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Better with the awesome head crest

Lord Icklebum
29-04-2005, 01:54
I'd have to say that EVERYTHING I've seen so far is vastly superior to the older editions. The carnifex in particular makes my guardsmen crap plastic, the thought of facing off against six just sends them into seizures.

Seriously, fighting against one fex AND a Tyrant is a enough of a pain. Never in my life have I felt so utterly weak then when my demolisher cannon lands dead on and knocks the carny down to a whole . . .. 3 ******* wounds. Yeesh. Guess I just need more lascannons teams . . .

Other than that, the only problems I have with the nid line anymore is the rest of the 3rd edition they're not updating. The gargoyles in particular are an eyesore to me. Or maybe that was just the 30 or so of them painted a garish orange and green that swamped my lines during that RTT. . . Naaah.

mostholycerebus
29-04-2005, 02:22
LOVE the new models.
HATE the new price.

tyranid warrior
29-04-2005, 07:54
since i first saw the old hive tyrant i liked it now the new one look cool and i like it's sword and the spike on its head

lostitgotit72
29-04-2005, 09:40
I love the new Carnifex, the HT well its ok....

I think that most of the new models are better than the 2nd ed versions, but having only seen the 2nd ed versions in the 3rd ed RB, I can't really say that with confidance............

The carni makes me want to buy it, even though I have never collected nids. Just the carni, not anything else tho

AngelofSorrow
02-05-2005, 07:05
For all those who hate the new HT just a better reason to purge it from the field of battle lol
Its worse than the throne of judgement

Scythe
02-05-2005, 10:07
Not really a solution if you play tyranids tough... :p

And there's no model worse than the Throne of Judgement... It's the most screwed up model concept they ever thought of. Damn that thing is ugly.

salty
02-05-2005, 10:29
@Scythe: Hehe, agreed.

What about this for a Fex conversion though?

It right here: http://gallery.warpshadow.com/Project-Hel/Web_under_detail

Wiseman
02-05-2005, 10:47
i like it, beter then 3rd ed anyway

General_Xue
02-05-2005, 10:51
I hate the new Carnifex and Hive Tyrant, but the carnifex the most.

This was a cool model -look at that freaky face!

1st (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=COMP0106001&orignav=301117)

This looked like a retard:

2nd (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=COMP0106033&orignav=301117)

And this looks like it would kill you by sitting on you:

3rd (http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranids/carnifex/1/)

Flame Boy
02-05-2005, 10:56
Salty, that's an interesting conversion, I like the bone chitin effect, but I've noticed the left arm wouldn't be able to articulate. There's not enough room beteen the chitin sections.

I like the rows of shark-like teeth. That woud be an homage to the 2nd edition 'Fex right there. It just doesn't have the rubbery, distorted skin to match...

It's a nice conversion, but I'd still rather get the 4th edition 'Fex that be able to buy a mass produced version of that conversion.

salty
02-05-2005, 10:56
I disagree, as far as Fex's go, the 3rd edition one is by far the best.

Adept
02-05-2005, 11:32
I hate the new Carnifex and Hive Tyrant, but the carnifex the most.

This was a cool model -look at that freaky face!

1st (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=COMP0106001&orignav=301117)

Oh you have GOT to be joking. You actually LIKE Mr. I'm-constipated-and-I-wear-bell-bottom-jeans?

Surely you jest! The posing is poor, the sculpting is poor, the detail is non-existant, the face is just awful. Its a plain awful model. Really, really bad.

The new carnifex is superior to the old models in every way.

Scythe
02-05-2005, 11:37
Indeed. The carnifex is the most amazing new nid model I've seen, and a huge improvement over the previous ones (don't get me wrong, I like the previous ones, but the new ones is way better). Don't really like that conversion tough. It looks like it has a even bigger grin than the standard 3rd edition one.

General_Xue
02-05-2005, 11:49
Oh you have GOT to be joking. You actually LIKE Mr. I'm-constipated-and-I-wear-bell-bottom-jeans?

Surely you jest! The posing is poor, the sculpting is poor, the detail is non-existant, the face is just awful. Its a plain awful model. Really, really bad.

The new carnifex is superior to the old models in every way.

Ok, maybe I should have clarified. I was thinking more about the general pose and style than the modelling skill. It was badly done, but imagine if the new Carnifex was based on that one! It would be beautiful!

salty
02-05-2005, 11:53
@Flame Boy: Just to clarify, I didn't convert that Fex, Malika posted it on a different forum, and I'm pretty sure he didn't convert it either! ;)

Adept
02-05-2005, 12:15
Ok, maybe I should have clarified. I was thinking more about the general pose and style than the modelling skill. It was badly done, but imagine if the new Carnifex was based on that one! It would be beautiful!

No. The penultimate tyranid models were the Warrior and the Hormagaunt from 3rd edition. It is no surprise that it was these models that formed the start point for the new 'big bugs'. The Carnifex is basically a warrior on steroids, keeping all the things that made the warriors the best nid models produced.

There was nothing good about the 2nd edition Carny. It was crap, right from the get go. I don't know who OK'd the production of that model, but they deserve a slapping with a kipper.

Eversor
02-05-2005, 12:52
There was nothing good about the 2nd edition Carny. It was crap, right from the get go. I don't know who OK'd the production of that model, but they deserve a slapping with a kipper.
It is not a second edition model. It was made during RT days, and echoes the design of the plastic Warriors (http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2112plastics-h.htm) from Advanced Space Crusade. If you check them out you'll see how the carnifex fits in with its exposed organs and "bell bottom" legs.

Besides, if you can't tell constipated from pissed off, you've never seen a constipated alien ;)

Detailing aside, I love the old carnifex. It's menacing and compact. It looks like the walking tank it really was in those days. It could take you an entire game to kill the bastard off. And it would eat tanks for breakfast ;) The only thing wrong with it IM(ns)HO are the hip/leg joints.

EDIT: Added link to the old warrior sprues.

General_Xue
03-05-2005, 19:06
No. The penultimate tyranid models were the Warrior and the Hormagaunt from 3rd edition. It is no surprise that it was these models that formed the start point for the new 'big bugs'. The Carnifex is basically a warrior on steroids, keeping all the things that made the warriors the best nid models produced.

Erm... I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see how this relates to my post. I believe what you say, but don't know what your point is...

Bmaxwell
03-05-2005, 19:37
I like the new fex but if i had one i would add some sort of fort legs mabye talons of some sort casue at the moment it seems horribly unblanced

Adept
04-05-2005, 04:07
Erm... I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see how this relates to my post. I believe what you say, but don't know what your point is...

Oh sorry, I was just expressing my opinion that a carnifex based off the old one would have had so much associated suckage it would have been able to pull a golf ball through a garden hose.

The warriors and the gaunts are where it's at.

salty
04-05-2005, 08:31
Is it me or has this gone really off-topic? Mods, if you want to close this then do, there isn't much else to be said about the Tyrant now.

Scythe
04-05-2005, 09:26
Ahh, it's at least still concidering Tyranids. I've seen treads go far more in the wastes direction as this one. ;)

salty
04-05-2005, 09:34
lol, me too. Maybe it would be better if the Carnifex talk broke off into another thread?

Scythe
04-05-2005, 09:42
Which would be this thread (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1665&page=1&pp=10) then...

:D

salty
04-05-2005, 09:43
Hmm, the link didn't work but I am guessing you are trying to show me a Carnifex thread in Rumours? ;)

Scythe
04-05-2005, 09:56
Edit: it should work now (at least for me). But yes, it's that carnifex thread in the rumours section.

Jmitchell
06-05-2005, 09:58
I did quite like the new carnifex model...

Shame the tyranid gun sprues have scrotums on them, but hey, they do fight with biology!

p.s still hate bonesword, scything talons all the way (for chopping) coincidently this is my only gripe with the new lictor.

salty
06-05-2005, 10:07
I dunno, those 'scrotums' all look pretty good to me. Very biological :D

Inquisitor DreaxIV
06-05-2005, 10:29
Im perfectly happy with they new model and i prefer it over the old one. It has both the old tyrants fused together which creates a fantastic model :) . That might be the only model i get from the new Nid range so it replaces my old tyrant. All my other models are fine.
Lol i dont like the scrotums that much as well so if i add a barbed strangler to my tyrant, it'll go through a bit of converting :p

Forgotmytea
06-05-2005, 10:52
I don't know, it just doesn't look intellegent enough to me. I still prefer the older one - stood tall, erect, looking powerful, cunning, deadly, etc etc. My love of AvP and all the Predator and Alien films could influence my love of that model though....

salty
06-05-2005, 20:44
Yeah, the alien Queen in AvP was very, VERY Tyrantesque. I might try converting old one to be dragging chains and stuff along, with that big collar/brace around its neck...

Black Mage
06-05-2005, 21:06
Having seen the new Hive Tyrant in person, I have to say it rocks. I mistook it for the new Carnifex, and learned that the 'fex is to be even bigger!

Jmitchell
06-05-2005, 21:18
Its bigger, yes. But it don't make it better!

Saying that though i'm glad that they've done that, as it fits in with the tyranid artwork (which aint half bad). For instance, just look at the front of the new codex and see how big the tyrant is compared to his gaunts. Its how it should be.

Antaeus
06-05-2005, 21:22
I quite like it, as I wasn't a massive fan of the 3rd Ed one (better than 2nd ed one though.) Looks to me more like the kidn of thing you would run away from screaming in terror, which I think suits a Hive Tyrant.

Brimstone
06-05-2005, 21:24
Having spend yesterday afternoon and this evening putting a Tyrant together I have to say that it's far far better than any of the previous ones, it even makes the Forgeworld versions look poor.

It's that good.

Scythe
07-05-2005, 10:14
Its bigger, yes. But it don't make it better!

Saying that though i'm glad that they've done that, as it fits in with the tyranid artwork (which aint half bad). For instance, just look at the front of the new codex and see how big the tyrant is compared to his gaunts. Its how it should be.

That's not the Tyrant on the cover, that's the new Carnifex ;)

salty
07-05-2005, 20:08
Having spend yesterday afternoon and this evening putting a Tyrant together I have to say that it's far far better than any of the previous ones, it even makes the Forgeworld versions look poor.

It's that good.

I'm still not utterly convinced...

I'm sorely tempted to buy one and convert it now. Roughly how tall in inches is it Brimstone?

Brimstone
07-05-2005, 20:43
I'm sorely tempted to buy one and convert it now. Roughly how tall in inches is it Brimstone?

About three and a half inches, roughly the same as the 3rd edition one but it's far more bulky.

Buy one you will not regret it.

I should have mine mostly done tomorrow so I'll post up some comparison pictures with my other Tyrants.

salty
07-05-2005, 23:15
Hmm, I might get some GS too and make it slightly taller...

Thanks though :D

Brimstone
08-05-2005, 12:34
Well this is a comparison shot.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/43095016/large.jpg

and more specifically.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/43095587/large.jpg

Robot 2000
08-05-2005, 12:48
wow. That's quite a lot bigger than I imagined :eek:

salty
08-05-2005, 13:06
Actually, it does look kinda nice there... great colour scheme.

I can't get over how much bigger than the 2nd Edition one it is, its just huge!

BTW, that winged tyrant looks great :D

Scythe
08-05-2005, 13:12
Wow, that's indeed a lot bigger (broader) than I imagined. And seeing it together with the second edition one.... what a difference...

salty
08-05-2005, 13:27
@Scythe: Yea, I thought it would be about as broad as the 3rd edition one, but it actually looks a lot beefier. I still hate the bonesword though ;)

Brimstone
08-05-2005, 13:28
Wow, that's indeed a lot bigger (broader) than I imagined. And seeing it together with the second edition one.... what a difference...

That's it exactly, it's about the same height as the previous one but it's far bulkier.

The 2nd edition Tyrant now looks like the runt of the litter, it's quite laughable, I remember thinking how big it was when it first came out.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/43099069/large.jpg

I still hate the bonesword though ;)

I thought long and hard before I put it on, in the end though I decided to save the scytals for my screamer killer elite fex.

gLOBS
08-05-2005, 17:23
Wow thanks for the comparison pics. Im glad the new tyrant is a good head taller than the 2nd ed. ones. Im going to convert my older 2nd ed. tyrants into a group of tyrant guard for my new tyrant when we get em.

salty
08-05-2005, 17:55
I thought long and hard before I put it on, in the end though I decided to save the scytals for my screamer killer elite fex.

Ooh, sounds cool! But doesn't the fex come with two sets of Scything Talons anyway?

Brimstone
08-05-2005, 17:59
Ooh, sounds cool! But doesn't the fex come with two sets of Scything Talons anyway?

No, just one new Tyranid monstrous creature weapon sprue which has a single set of scything talons.

salty
08-05-2005, 18:00
Shame. Do you have any pics of the weapons sprue? I am assuming it comes with other combat weapons like rending claws or something?

gLOBS
08-05-2005, 18:01
The carny sprue with all the heads have a set on em.

Azazel
08-05-2005, 18:04
And theres another pair on the sprue with guns.

Eversor
08-05-2005, 18:05
Shame. Do you have any pics of the weapons sprue? I am assuming it comes with other combat weapons like rending claws or something?
GW has them up on their site in their carnifex preview. And IIRC they're in the rumour roundup as well.

salty
09-05-2005, 07:41
@Eversor: Thanks, I never thought to check there :D

Scythe
09-05-2005, 08:39
Jup, GW has the carnifex sprues on preview, and the fex comes with 2 sets scythes. The carnifex head sprue contains carnifex only talons, while the weapons sprue is the same as supplied with the hive tyrant if I'm not mistaken. Which means I have enough talons for my fex, so I don't have to worry about putting them on my tyrant. Even better, since not all my carnifexes will have 2x talons, I might even make a 2x talons tyrant.

@Scythe: Yea, I thought it would be about as broad as the 3rd edition one, but it actually looks a lot beefier. I still hate the bonesword though ;)

Agreed, I'm definitely putting talons instead of a bonesword on my tyrant, no mather how good a bonesword might be.