PDA

View Full Version : [Epic] Macragge 333rd: Battlegroup Lucius

orangesm
29-11-2006, 02:57
So my second Epic Army begins with a 3000 pt Mechanized Infantry Battlegroup from what will eventually be a regiment: the Macragge 333rd Mechanized Infantry Regiment.

Battlegroup Lucius
Lucius A:

Dismounted Mechanized Infantry Company (no Chimeras)
-attached Hydra
Dismounted Mechanized Infantry Company (no Chimeras)
-attached Hydra
Basilisk Artillery Company
-attached Hydra
Lucius B:

Leman Russ Tank Company
Mechanized Infantry Company
Recon Sentinel Squadron
Lucius C:

Shadowsword B1
Shadowsword B2
Imperial Navy Support

Thunderbolts (2 ship)

Comments? Questions?
Want to see pictures?

Hena
29-11-2006, 03:19
I'd really move the Hydras from Infantry to tank and mechanised (the proper one) companies. Mainly as they are only AT targets in the infantry companies and thus very easy to kill. One rarely sees basilisk company but that is no reason to not use one. Just remember to keep one of the infantry companies near it for protection against air assaults or teleporters.

Humhum ... why Lucius C, but shadowswords named B1 and B2? Shouldn't they be C1 and C2 :D

orangesm
29-11-2006, 03:56
The Shadowswords are from B Company of the Superheavy Battalion of the Regiment... do not have proper names for them yet.

My plan with the Hydras in the non-moving units/slow units was to cover my side of the board and objectives with some good AA with their ranges overlapping. I can see them being the only AT targets as a disadvantage, but I do not think it will be a total loss.

The regiment will have two batteries of Hydras when I complete it.

Bombot
29-11-2006, 08:42
This is similar in style to the Imperial Guard force I’m putting together, except I’m going with two Manticore batteries instead of a Basilisk company.

I’d be inclined to move just one of the Hydras to the mechanised company (not the tanks too as then you would have two BTS formations) so your mobile formations have cover. Aside from the artillery, that mechanised company will be the tempting target for a lot of air units as it is an armour / infantry mix.

Is there no way you could squeeze a supreme commander in here?

firestorm40k
29-11-2006, 10:56
I'd agree with Bombot, Guard armies do need a Supreme Commander - having that re-roll can be vital!

Following Bombot's idea about the artillery formations rather than company might have the added advantage that you will get more activations that way.

Any extra Hydras you can attach to other formations will be a bonus, too.

In all, I would suggest Mechanised Infantry can be better than foot-sloggers as having those tanks means you can absorb more fire that way - at least that's what I've found!

nealhunt
29-11-2006, 22:15
I agree with the sentiment that IG works best with a Supreme Commander.

As far as the Hydras, if you keep them out of Line of Sight or in a position that restricts line of sight that will reduce their vulnerability considerably. Since they will be attached to infantry they will likely be able to move cautiously (reroll dangerous terrain checks), allowing them to use cover for protection also. It's unconventional for the reasons stated but I don't think it will be a big deal.

orangesm
30-11-2006, 18:00
So taking some of the advice given here is the revised list, along with some basic battle plans.

Battlegroup Lucius
Lucius A:

Dismounted Mechanized Infantry Company (Infantry Company) 333rd Reg 1st Btn 1st Co
Battlegroup HQ (Regimental HQ) 333rd Reg 1st Battalion HQ
-attached Hydra 333rd Reg 4th Btn 4th Co 2nd Battery
Basilisk Artillery Company 333rd Reg 4th Btn 3 Co
Lucius B:

Leman Russ Tank Company 333rd Reg 3rd Btn 2nd Co
Mechanized Infantry Company 333rd Reg 1st Btn 2nd Co

Lucius C:

Shadowsword Augustia 333rd Reg 5th Btn 2nd Co
Shadowsword Marnia 333rd Reg 5th Btn 2nd Co

The basic plan is for Lucius A to act as a holding force and defend the various objectives on my side of the table. Lucius B strikes out towards the Blitz objective and the closest Take & Hold objective to the Blitz. Lucius C odviously provides anti-warmachine support where it is needed, possibly one supporting A and the other supporting B.

From a background prespective, the core of this Battlegroup is the 333rd 1st Brigade minus a Company, Battalion Commander is the Battlegroup Commander (A Senior Major/Lt Colonel instead of a Colonel). They have a company of tanks from the 3rd Battalion, a company of Artillery and a battery of Hydras from 4th Battalion and two platoons (2 superheavy tanks) from 5th Battalion. It is a little less than a third of the regiment.

If I go up to 4000 points, probably add another Infantry Company (filling out the 1st Brigade), add another Shadowsword and make it them single Company, two Sentinel or Salamander Squadrons, a flight of Thunderbolts and a flight of Marauders.

nealhunt
01-12-2006, 12:59
I think it's a good idea but I also think you'll find that you're splitting your forces too much. The Russ company in particular will be surprisingly fragile if a faster enemy starts to crossfire it. I'd say keep the foot infantry back to guard the arty and send both mech infantry with the Russ.

Also, to maximize the value of Basilisks you really need a good firing position that allows the option of direct fire. Keep that in mind in your deployment. With a good field of fire they are a tremendous area denial tool.

It's a little bit light on activations but they are pretty tough as long as they stay inter-supporting so you should be okay. One option (just to think about, not a recommendation) for increasing activations would be to take Arty batteries instead of a single company but you'd need to shave some points elsewhere to pull it off.

orangesm
01-12-2006, 15:58
Biggest problem I see w/ having Artillery batteries is they lack the bunch of the company. Constitently 9BP per turn is more effective than a battery of Manticores firing each turn (2 batteries of Manticores).

orangesm
02-12-2006, 17:25
I am painting some of the units. The basic scheme I have down, the only problem I am having is how to distinguish each company. Right now I am using the Codex Astrates Company colors to distiguish each brigade, but I have not figured out how to distinguish each company with in a brigade, any ideas.

Tank example at the moment Regiment/Battalion marking on front of sides of Leman Russes 333rd Reg 3rd Battalion 2 Co. (no company marking at the moment)
BRB
LE L
UDU
E E

orangesm
20-12-2006, 01:52
What I am looking at is to different list. One has Artillery and Hydras while the other has Aircraft. Any suggestions there? Comments?

List 1

Battlegroup Lucius Alpha
Lucius A:

Dismounted Mechanized Infantry Company (Infantry Company) 333rd Reg 1st Btn 1st Co
Basilisk Artillery Company 333rd Reg 4th Btn 3 Co
Lucius B:

Lucius C:

Now I am considering a slightly diferent list

List 2

Battlegroup Lucius Bravo
Lucius A:

Lucius B:

Lucius C:

Imperial Navy Support

Thunderbolts 10th Air Wing, 2nd Squadron, B Flight
Marauders 10th Air Wing, 5th Squadron, A Flight
Marauders 10th Air Wing, 5th Squadron, B Flight