PDA

View Full Version : First IG army list (Epic)

2_heads_talking
03-12-2006, 22:12
Hey, I decided to create my first IG army tonight. Feedback would be welcome, guys and girls!

3000 point Steel Legion list

Regimental HQ 650
- Fire Support Upgrade
- 2x Chimera

Steel Legion Mechanised Infantry Company 500
- Sentinels Upgrade

Steel legion Tank Company 700
- Command Vanquisher
- Flak Upgrade

Steel legion Artillery Company 800
- 3 Manticores
- Flak Battery

Two Thunderbolt Fighters 150

Shadowsword Support Formation 200

Total 3000

orangesm
03-12-2006, 23:04
I assume you are famaliar with Epic and understand activations are important. More units over big units will be important in an IG Army, the units are already a good size.

Not nearly enough activiations - the Fire Support in the HQ does not really help them much imo. More useful to use them in a stagnant unit.

The Sentinels operate seperately from the Companies used to seeing it as formations.

It has been suggested to me to have the Flak in the Mech Inf. The Armor should survive ok sans Flak if it is near the Mech Inf, or the other way around.

That is an interesting investiment. The battery of flak is seperate from the artillery company. In a 3000 point game I think it is better to spread the flak out, imbedding it in units that are vunerable to aircraft. So just putting on ein the Artillery should suffice.
I would also make it a single type of artillery. If you want 3 Manticores, two batteries alternating fire instead of the company that is 6 Basilisk and 3 Manticores. That is a max of 12 BP which is only 1 extra Blast Marker over just Baslisk and it only fires that much every other turn.
Basilisk in a company, Manticores in Batteries.

I think that that has freed up some points and you can add an Infantry company to defend the artillery.

But that makes it very similiar to my army...

What kind of army are you going for?

Hena
04-12-2006, 02:45
Umm... just like abive said the sentinels and flak battery is an independent formation. Also the artillery company ... 3 manticores? I assume that you have the same composition as in the artillery company box (6 basilisks and 3 manticore). In gaming that combination is not useful (as the manticores very useful disrupt is lost when firing with basilisks), so I suggest you get some FW basilisks and buy the company as all basilisk version.

The three hydras would work as nice deterrent against air assault on the artillery. Just need to be careful that opponent doesn't manage to fire upon it and thus break/supress the formation.

But I suggest trying the list and seeing how it goes. The minis are not that expensive that most people who play 40k shouldn't have problems buying some extra stuff. The most important aspect is that it feels as your army and not someone elses :D.

2_heads_talking
04-12-2006, 20:44
To be honest, when I designed the army I did think that the mechanised company plus the HQ (which had Chimeras anyway) was rather overkill; would dropping the mechanised company and just selecting an ordinary Steel Legion company plus Fire Support be a better choice?

I suppose I didn't read close enough; I now know that the support detachments do not have to be included with the main company, however what of the upgrades (the flak upgrade for the tank company, for instance)? Do they have to stay with the company?

I suppose you are right about the artillery, too, I'll see if I can juggle the points to add two batteries of Manticores and make the company all Basilisk.

The damned points cost is so much, though! ;)

orangesm
04-12-2006, 20:50
The upgrades stay part of the formation.

So for example adding the fire support you would have those added to the formation giving it more firepower.
Having the two mech inf units (one HQ other normal) is fine and could be important if there are objectives spread out.

I would choose either a Company of Basilisk (x)or 2 batteries of Manticores. Similar results can be gained from either of them and it is expensive to have all of them.

nealhunt
07-12-2006, 14:03
I think that's an okay list. Onc eyou consider the Sentinels as a separate formation you have 7 activations at 3000 points. That's a little bit low but those are big, tough formations that are likely to survivie quite a beating before you lose them as activations.

That also assumes you break the flak battery up and attach as support. If you keep the flak as an independent formation 8 activations is plenty.

One option that would require little variation in models would be to break the arty into 2 batteries and use the leftover points for a formation of some kind to screen them. Example:

Regimental HQ 650
- Fire Support Upgrade
- 2x Chimera

Steel Legion Mechanised Infantry Company 450
- Flak Upgrade

Steel legion Tank Company 700
- Flak Upgrade

Manticore Battery 250

Basilisk Battery 250

Flak Battery 150

Sentinels 100

Sentinels 100

Two Thunderbolt Fighters 150

Shadowsword Support Formation 200

===

That's 3 tough "hammer" formations to grind forward, 2 arty formations for support with 2 Sentinel formations to screen early on and grab objectives later. It has plenty of flak, close air support from the Tbolts and the Shadowsord to go after heavy stuff.

luc.taesch
11-04-2008, 22:59
when I take an upgrade , can it move separately of the formation ? or going along ?

luc.taesch
11-04-2008, 23:27
well, I cannot post a new hread despite I tried two replies. so here I go , sorry.

Given the list of thr figures I bought, which easy to play list of IG can I (you) do for my 12 son ? :confused:

here is a posibility, note that I miss some russ , just have 6 out of 10. got spare robots on top. I added here all that I have, including too much titans...

Unlimited Pts - Steel Legion Roster - toutguarde

Support: Rough Rider Platoon (7#, 150 Pts)

Support: Rough Rider Platoon (7#, 150 Pts)

Navy: Thunderbolt Formation (2#, 150 Pts)

Company: Mechanised Infantry Company (26#, 650 Pts)
1 Mechanised Infantry Company @ 650 Pts
1 Commander @ [0] Pts
Autocannon; Chainsword; Lasgun; Commander
12 Infantry @ [0] Pts
Autocannon; Lasgun
7 Chimera @ [0] Pts
Heavy Bolter; Multilaser
1 Flak @ [50] Pts
1 Hydra @ [0] Pts
Heavy Bolter; Twin Hydra Autocannon (x2)
1 Hellhound Squadron @ [150] Pts
3 Hellhound @ [0] Pts
Heavy Bolter; Inferno Cannon
1 Ogryns @ [50] Pts
2 Ogryns @ [0] Pts
Ogryn Combat Weapons; Ripper Guns

Support: Sentinel Squadron (4#, 100 Pts)

Support: Sentinel Squadron (4#, 100 Pts)

Support: Artillery Battery (3#, 250 Pts)
1 Artillery Battery @ 250 Pts
3 Basilisk @ [0] Pts

Support: Artillery Battery (3#, 250 Pts)
1 Artillery Battery @ 250 Pts
3 Bombard @ [0] Pts

Support: Deathstrike Missile Battery (2#, 200 Pts)
1 Deathstrike Missile Battery @ 200 Pts
2 Deathstrike @ [0] Pts

Company: Tank Company (21#, 900 Pts)
1 Tank Company @ 900 Pts
10 -6- Leman Russ @ [0] Pts
Battle Cannon; Heavy Bolter (x2); Lascannon; Reinforced Armour
1 Fire Support Platoon @ [100] Pts
4 Fire Support Squad @ [0] Pts
Autocannon (x2)
1 Flak @ [50] Pts
1 Hydra @ [0] Pts
Heavy Bolter; Twin Hydra Autocannon (x2)
1 Infantry Platoon @ [100] Pts
6 -4- Infantry @ [0] Pts
Autocannon; Lasgun

Titan: Warhound Battlegroup (2#, 500 Pts)

Titan: Reaver Battlegroup (1#, 650 Pts)

Titan: Warlord Battlegroup (1#, 850 Pts)

Company: Super-Heavy Tank Company (3#, 500 Pts)
3 Shadowsword @ [0] Pts

Patriarch
12-04-2008, 10:38
when I take an upgrade , can it move separately of the formation ? or going along ?

Upgrades (like Leman Russ platoons) are just extra units to add to the main formation, they don't move seperately.

Support formations (like Rough Riders) are seperate, are given their own orders, and move and fight seperately.

There's a typo in the army list in the book which confuses things a bit.