PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer battles and you?

Avian
12-12-2006, 15:20
Having scribbled down the rules used locally for Multiplayer Battles (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/rules/multiplayer.php), I was curious as to how other people fight their multiplayer battles.

Especially I was wondering if people had some rules for distrusted allies that actually worked? GW have published some examples (-1 Ld if within 6"), but to me they just lead to sharply divided armies and less interesting battles since there is less interaction. And it doesn't affect some armies at all.

10th clancannach rangers
12-12-2006, 22:54
My cousin developed a good way of getting rid of the person in the middle, who always gets ganged up on, during three way battles... a triangular board

exsulis
13-12-2006, 00:21
Yeah, my friends and I use a similiar system for multiplayer battles. We use the same rules for turn order, psychology, and victory conditions. The only difference is the deployment, and magic phase.

When we deploy its one unit per teammember on each side. So if one team has 3 players, and the other has 2 then one side will have 3 units to deploy per turn, and the other will have 2. The thinking behind this is that the side with less players will have more units to deploy. Which can cut down the deployment time. :)

Magic, we grant each army 2 power dice(note this is only good for the army that generates it), and 2 dispel dice. The thinking behind this was the side with more cores would produce more power, and dispel. Casting is limited to one player casting at a time as it can get confusing with 1 to 3 people during a magic phase. To stop everyone from trying to stop a single spell we limited who can dispel what is being cast. The dispelling side only gets one chance to stop a spell; so theres no cycling through a couple players(or combining dispel dice), or seeing 2 people fail just to use a dispel scroll. Spells can only be dispelled by the person that is going to be affected by it. Seeing one player getting blasted may hurt as a team but some armies are barely willing to work together. Buffing spells in theory can potentially affect multiple players so anyone on one side can choose to dispel it but you have to choose who is going to try.

I'm still interested in trying the Grand Marshal rule out of the Compendium.

Tutore
13-12-2006, 07:33
We play as follows:

there are different deployment zones.

only 2 powerdice/dispel dice per team per turn, but if there are dwarves, that side gets 2 dispel dice. For all instances it´s a single army, but there are still 3 generals (12' leadership) and (if any) BSB.

kyussinchains
13-12-2006, 08:06
we play just like a normal game, each team counts as one army but each has a general and BSB, however in the magic phase there is only one pool of 2 dice for both casting and dispel, players have to fight over who gets to use them.

combat is done from one side of the battlefield to the other, so often players have to wait to fight combats, but it cuts down on disorder.

we rarely play VPs in such big games (we played a 20k per side game at warhammer world last year) usually one side will realise they cant win and give up.

Falkman
13-12-2006, 12:08
We play it just like it each team consisted of two entirely separate armies, so each team have their own armylist, in a 2000 vs 2000 game the teams consist of two players with 1000 pts each, so they each have to make lists based on the restrictions fort 1000 pts games.
No magic item or magic spells can ever be cast on or affect your ally, as this would lead to some strange consequences.
Each ally has his own general and BSB (if he should choose one), and these guys only affect his own army, nit his friends'.
Pyschology is shared however, if your ally flees straight through you, you have to test.
Magic is also done as if there were two completely separate armies, so me and my ally would both generate 2 dispel dice and power dice each, those, and any generated by our respective wizards, can only be used by the player who generated them.
However, I may use my dispel dice to dispel a spell cast at my ally.
We may not combine our dice to do so however.

WightKing
21-06-2009, 10:13
Having scribbled down the rules used locally for Multiplayer Battles (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/rules/multiplayer.php), I was curious as to how other people fight their multiplayer battles.

Especially I was wondering if people had some rules for distrusted allies that actually worked? GW have published some examples (-1 Ld if within 6"), but to me they just lead to sharply divided armies and less interesting battles since there is less interaction. And it doesn't affect some armies at all.

hi Avian i recently downloaded your upgrated rules for the random generator.
what must i do -change in the sequence to play with the master strategist's senario generator?
i know that in the original rules the determine obgective is determined before the determine engagement type (i think) .
how this is translates in to your version? can you tell me what to do/change to play using Str.rating for all in the rules you gave?
it would be much appriciated.thanks

SuperArchMegalon
21-06-2009, 10:24
Just got done playing a 2v2 last night. Here's what we did:

-2000 points per player
-Each player's army is limited to regular composition rules for a 2000 point list.
-Each player's army generates the same amount of PD and DD as normal - leaving 4 DD and 4 PD in the pool for each side. A player may not cast using his ally's pool PD, though, nor any other PD (such as from the Dark Elf rule).
-Players can share the benefit of a general and BsB with their ally - the reason for this being that we wanted to have each player interacting with their ally as much as possible. Also in such a large game on such a big board it almost makes sense to have two LD bubbles moving about. Because there's a maximum of two Lords on each side (as opposed to 3 if you were to write a single, 4000 pt list), it makes sense to boost the importance of characters on the battlefield in this way.
-Each player can deploy anywhere on their side of the battlefield, also to promote army interaction.

It all worked out good! We've played like this several times in the past, and it's a lot more fun than having basically two separate armies on each side.