PDA

View Full Version : A "special characters" codex

EVIL INC
12-12-2006, 16:03
After reading the "which special characters do you want?" thread, I got this idea...
You know what would be really nice? For them to release 2 new codex type books similer to the allies of the imperium and enemies of the imperium. Only instead of being army lists, each being filled with nada but special characters that can be used in each of the armies that are covered by the book type that are not in the main codexes. This way, they could make a lot more money by selling more books and expand the 40k universe and we could be happy by having rules for all of these special characters we love so much.
The books could have update releases volume 2, 3 ect and to keep game balence, they could be "use with opponant's permission only" as the reguler special characters used to be.
Do you think they would go for this? Would you or anyone you know buy the books?

Kamin_Majere
12-12-2006, 16:07
That actually would be neat, i'd probably buy it.

2ish pages per character, stats and rules on one and some fluff on the others. Would be kind of cool

EVIL INC
12-12-2006, 16:11
I must add that characters released in the reguler codexes would not just be copied and pasted into them. Only new characters not available in the codexes. I wouldnt put it past them to cheat that way if they were to do it. :p
Not to say that they areprinting them. This is just an idea.

Onisuzume
12-12-2006, 16:18
Cool; I gues.
Personally; I'd be against it because my 'nids will be left out since they don't have this "special characters" thing.
Unless, ofcourse, you'd want to call it test/experiment broods...

EVIL INC
12-12-2006, 16:31
You would be "against" them making the books or you just wouldnt buy them because you didnt need them? Wanting to ruin other's fun just because you were left out seems rather...
Mayhap old one eye or the red terror could make a comeback.

Carnelian
12-12-2006, 16:34
I'd rather they spent the time updating the codexes that are in desperate need of new rules and models to be honest. This is an interesting idea, but is very low on my priority list. Maybe it would be good to co-incide with a new Inferno style comic book, featuring tales about the characters.

Darkseer
12-12-2006, 16:35
They did it with Fantasy many years ago. It was called Champions of Chaos.

Ironically, very few of these characters actually had models made for them.

I personally shun special characters in favour of taking the standard lord choice and kitting him out to produce a unique character.

Atherakhia
12-12-2006, 16:41
A lot of the characters had models for them:

Archaon, Scylla Anfingrimm, Dechala The Denied, Aekold Helbrass, Egrimm Van Horstmann -- the only ones that didn't were Valnir The Reaper and Count Mordrek

wow I remembered them

anyways, back on topic, this would be an excellent idea -- maybe stats for Captain Leonatos or something.... Not that i'm a fan of the Blood Angels
And on that note, I hope Cypher is in the new DA book.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
12-12-2006, 16:57
Good idea, but id rather they introduce some new races personally.

Kriegsherr
12-12-2006, 16:58
Don't like the idea... then again, I don't like special characters either.

With the current slow release pace, I rather would like if GW concentrates on the main codexes and doesn't do any special stuff like that... Things like CoD are ok from my perspective, but SC are something that shouldn't take away a release slot (and thats what all extensions do, no matter how small. And of course, the characters minis have to be done in some cases...)

EVIL INC
12-12-2006, 17:01
This is an idea that would not interfere in any way with the codex updates and additions as it would be extra and the authors of each of the seperate codexes could just add in thier submissions and trade ideas about. So as it would not be written soley by any one staff member, it would not monopolize anyones time and effert.

chaos0xomega
12-12-2006, 20:27
How about one that includes 'create your own special character rules for each race'?

For instance,
Tau- Custom Vespid Strain Leader HQ, Kroot Master Shaper HQ, On foot Shas, XV15/22 Shas, XV8 Shas, New XV shas, Custom Ethereal Shas. These would just be templates for statlines(and in some cases special rules). You could then add in special wargear and weapons(possibly DIY if a good enough system is found for each race) and then you get a slightly overpriced special character!

Onisuzume
12-12-2006, 21:08
You would be "against" them making the books or you just wouldnt buy them because you didnt need them? Wanting to ruin other's fun just because you were left out seems rather...
Mayhap old one eye or the red terror could make a comeback.
Make a comeback?
Forgive my ignorance; but aren't these rules legal?
http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranids/special-characters/1/

As for my other army; I've heard that they're getting enough special characters in the new codex. (Dark Angels)
And if I want more; I still got Fortress of the Unforgiven (http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/CH01_01CoU_02SpC_00.html). (Something like 12 special characters in there, 7 of which are new)

How about one that includes 'create your own special character rules for each race'?

For instance,
Tau- Custom Vespid Strain Leader HQ, Kroot Master Shaper HQ, On foot Shas, XV15/22 Shas, XV8 Shas, New XV shas, Custom Ethereal Shas. These would just be templates for statlines(and in some cases special rules). You could then add in special wargear and weapons(possibly DIY if a good enough system is found for each race) and then you get a slightly overpriced special character!
That's one idea; though it might be a bit hard to work out the possible unbalances.
And for my Tyranids I could just use the creature feature creature creation rules to make my own "special character". (new tyranid breed)

wingedserpant
12-12-2006, 21:10
This would be a nice addition to the codex range but only after orks and dark eldar get their much needed update.

x-esiv-4c
12-12-2006, 22:00
I would certainly buy it. Good opportunity to throw in some new characters too.

nightgant98c
13-12-2006, 02:16
As long as it didn't affect other releases that we are much more in need of, I think it'd be great. i for one like special characters. The make your own idea is also very cool.

InquisitorNiels
13-12-2006, 04:54
I like the idea of making SC like the VDR rules. They could be really good, or just a little odd. They would be over priced for what they do but would let you include some really odd flair to armies and give them more character.

the_dark_sarge
13-12-2006, 05:38
I like the idea of making SC like the VDR rules. They could be really good, or just a little odd. They would be over priced for what they do but would let you include some really odd flair to armies and give them more character.

I also would like a vdr like sc system as it would allow you to customise your commander with his own special rules :)

ArtificerArmour
13-12-2006, 10:58
I think if they reprinted the rules from CA in them, added the special create-a-character they used in medusa V, and added a long theme of fluff with the rules it would be pretty cool.

Also, any figures without models should have an article with a converted model included.

FlashGordon
13-12-2006, 11:04
Just make sure to have a Huron Blackheart model ready!

Barbarossa
13-12-2006, 11:16
I'm not a fan of special characters either. While I like background stories about them, I don't want to see them on the table. Why would Chapter master whatsisface personally lead the charge on 5 orks and a sickly grot on the planet of Redneck VII anyway?

ArtificerArmour
13-12-2006, 12:39
Why would marines be there in the first place?

Exactly.

Tarquinn
13-12-2006, 13:11
I'd rather have a 40k version of Dogs of War. :)

Onisuzume
13-12-2006, 19:24
I'd rather have a 40k version of Dogs of War. :)
And get a reason to use squats again!
I like it. :D

Gorbad Ironclaw
13-12-2006, 19:38
Colour me not interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing background books detailing various characters at large in the galaxy, and some of there past history. As for actually seeing rules and stuff for them, not interested at all. I don't especially like special characters, and I wouldn't want to see a handful or two special characters take up tome that could be better(IMO) spent working on full books.

vampires are cool!
13-12-2006, 20:04
After reading the "which special characters do you want?" thread, I got this idea...

yay! i inspired something!