PDA

View Full Version : Ashamed; I play space marines.

Getifa Ubazza
12-12-2006, 16:07
I walk into my games club and walk over to someone and ask them for a game. After a chat they ask the dreaded question "what army have you got" to which i look down at my shoes and in a meek voice i say "space marines" I look up just in time to see him roll his eyes at the prospect of having to play yet another space marine army and i feel dirty and ashamed.

I have many other armies on the go but my marines are the only ones i have that are fully painted and i hate playing with unpainted models. The other problem is that i just cant motivate myself to get them done, so im stuck playing marines until i do.

Is it just me or does anyone else understand?

Luke
12-12-2006, 16:11
You should be proud to play marines, and what is more you should feel proud that you actually have a fully painted army! If only half of the armies I fought against were fully painted.

I play marines, and my armies were/are all fully painted. Shame on those who make you feel ashamed.

If someone rolled their eyes at me I would be like "What was that? You got a problem with my army? Its better painted than yours pal" etc.

For the emperor!

Gutlord Grom
12-12-2006, 16:13
I second what Luke says.

Also, if you have trouble motivation, find a day, where is nothing to do. Then you can spend an hour or two working on one of your armies.

th0r
12-12-2006, 16:14
Yea I hate playing against unpainted armies as well. Honestly, SM are the coolest and by far my favorite models, not to mention there cool background and stories... so go play your SM's with pride!

Kamin_Majere
12-12-2006, 16:18
:: shakes head ::

You dirty little mon-keigh, as right you should feel ashamed... all of you. I mean do you hug your mothers with the same hands that painted that filth?

for shame dirty little mon-keigh, for shame

:p :p :p

Bloodknight
12-12-2006, 16:20
You don´t have to be ashamed, just try to be a pleasant opponent and don´t cheese out, then people won´t object to whatever army you play. (Even if its Space Marines :p - I play DeathGuard FYI).

Onisuzume
12-12-2006, 17:14
And besides; my 'nids munch as happily on SMurfs as they do on Eldar.
They even munch of Necrons to make sure they get their dayly need of minerals. ^^

And I guess that most people here could be ashamed of it.
I started playing SMurfs when their new codex was released; my reason: I still had 20 from the 2nd ed. starter, so I could even be ashamed of using antique models! (with which, to be honest, I am quite happy with)

Helicon_One
12-12-2006, 17:34
Tell us which chapter, then we'll know just how ashamed you should be...

Tim

DoomedFuture
12-12-2006, 17:46
Wow. I can't find a Space Marine player.

Z-chan
12-12-2006, 17:50
I walk into my games club and walk over to someone and ask them for a game. After a chat they ask the dreaded question "what army have you got" to which i look down at my shoes and in a meek voice i say "space marines" I look up just in time to see him roll his eyes at the prospect of having to play yet another space marine army and i feel dirty and ashamed.

I have many other armies on the go but my marines are the only ones i have that are fully painted and i hate playing with unpainted models. The other problem is that i just cant motivate myself to get them done, so im stuck playing marines until i do.

What a jerk that dude is. I don't think it'd be worth it to play him. Even though I play Chaos, the only thing I can say is "Have Pride in Your Colours."

Penitent
12-12-2006, 17:57
Elitism and snobbery in any element of life is just plain silly, but its *really* silly in wargaming.

Conversely, its just as silly to feel ashamed about the army (or armies) you play. Go enjoy your marines! The majority of 40k players have a marine army anyway.

Arhalien
12-12-2006, 17:59
The majority of 40k players have a marine army anyway.

I think that that's the main problem. However, play whatever army you want, and don;'t feel ashamed about it. I happen to dislike Marines, but that's my opinion, and I'm not going to try and get you to change your ways. Playing marines is your choice - don';t nlet someone make you feel bad about it.

Bloodthirster90
12-12-2006, 18:00
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with playing marines. Ok, so we're a very popular army and usually the army of choice for newbies, but therein lies their advantage. Most people who find out you're a marine player will think you're a newbie. You could use this. See, if they think you're new, they'll make silly errors which you can exploit. I've seen a tyranid army decimated by space marines who were outnumbered 3:2 bugs to marines.

Do not be ashamed, brother. Be proud that you have an advantage in pretty much every game you go into before it even starts.

John Vaughan
12-12-2006, 18:05
Besides the fact that they are popular to play, they also have more tactics, models, options, and ways to defeat an opponent. You can tailor them in a way that no one else can, even into your own chapter worthy of no one else!

Getifa Ubazza
12-12-2006, 18:10
Tell us which chapter, then we'll know just how ashamed you should be...

Tim

They are the Silver skulls. They are silver with a dark blue gun, black shoulder pads with silver trim. I believe they are a successor chapter of the Ultramarines. They are similar to Dark angels, fluff wise, very secretive and dont like outsiders. There was a small peace of fluff on them in the last marine codex.

Mr Zephy
12-12-2006, 18:23
Do not be ashamed, brother. Be proud that you have an advantage in pretty much every game you go into before it even starts.

Ahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahha... so true. Unfortunately that was why the author of the OP was feeling ashamed...

Don't feel ashamed though, if they don't want to play you, they're cheating themselves of a game of 40k, thus wasting their trip to the club.

luchog
12-12-2006, 18:24
Elitism and snobbery in any element of life is just plain silly, but its *really* silly in wargaming.

On the other hand, I can understand how boring it is to play against the same army over and over and over and over.

Personally, I don't care if someone's army is pro painted, or even completely painted. I'm just happy to find someone to play against who can give me a different gaming experience. So far in the past year I've only managed one game against Necrons, one against Orks, one against Witchhunters, and none against Tau or Dark Eldar. 75% percent of the games I've played in the last year have been SM/CSM, with most of the rest being Eldar and IG. Nearly all of the SM players were donkeygun-heavy, librarian-from-hell cheese. Only one player that I can remember who plays non-cheesy fluffy SM (Blood Angels, and he still kicks my ass pretty regularly), and one who plays decently fluffy, non-cheesy Thousand Sons CSM.

I certainly don't mind playing against SM/CSM as a rule (as long as my opponents aren't powergamers); I'd just like to see something else a bit more often.

BradenK
12-12-2006, 18:27
Ashamed; I play space marines.

I think they have support groups for this :-)

Mr Zephy
12-12-2006, 18:28
If you're worried, try maybe a small 40k in 40 mins force for an army from Codex:Xenos.

Slaaneshi Slave
12-12-2006, 18:31
I have a fairly large Marine army, and the start of another marine army in the post on its way to me. I too am ashamed to have them. At least I have my Battle Sisters when I want comforting. :p

Hadhfang
12-12-2006, 18:41
Most people who find out you're a marine player will think you're a newbie.

hahahahahaha, I don't know where you play but everyone at our club knows if you are new or not without looking at the army

so a 3+ save and the ability to field any type of force is not a big enough advantage is it?

Anyway, you have nothing to be ashamed of, tis is the first case of someone being ashamed of their army i've ever heard of, If you like marines then play them! who has the right to tell you what army you should play?

Also, if you are really ashamed, then prehaps get the chaos codex, and use them as traitors, adding a few chaosy things in;)

Mojaco
12-12-2006, 18:45
I've seen a tyranid army decimated by space marines who were outnumbered 3:2 bugs to marines.
Holy *****, 3:2, really? That's like so normal!

:)

I must say I prefer to fight anything but Space Marines. I'm not saying I dislike it, but it's my least favorite army to face. And Necrons. It's fun to actually be able to kill something every once in a while without resorting to AP3 and power weaponry.
Additionally, other armies can surprise more. "You can do that?" is not something you'll here me say against marines.

Then again, if it's painted and well painted, be proud damnit! I know I am about my marines.

BodhiTree
12-12-2006, 18:56
In the ten years I've been in and out of this hobby I have never finished an army. I would be proud to actually have one done.

synapse
12-12-2006, 18:56
i love marines. ive been in the hobby for just under 15 years now, and only started liking marines when i began reading fluff. mostly its the horus heresy background (not the crappy art books or blasphemous novels mind you; the true Bill King background) is what spawned my love of marines, alongside the way tehy are currently depicetd in artwork (the Karl Kopinski crusading marines from the rule book are amazing)

i have about 5 marine armies on the go, all really individual armies with lots fo GSing and converting and i doubt ill stop at that.

what i dont like about marines are akk the noobs that give them a bad name :p

ion Kid
12-12-2006, 18:58
It ain't snobby army one up manship... its about fuuuun!

Stingray_tm
12-12-2006, 18:58
There is nothing wrong with playing Marines. But there is nothing wrong with that guy rolling his eyes, as long as it wasn't meant personally.

Imaging him having played against Marines 10 times in a row. What do you expect? Enthusiasm?

Personally i have no problems with Marines, since my gaming group (about 10 people) has only 3 Marines, 2 of them Chaos.

Kantur
12-12-2006, 19:06
They are the Silver skulls. They are silver with a dark blue gun, black shoulder pads with silver trim. I believe they are a successor chapter of the Ultramarines. They are similar to Dark angels, fluff wise, very secretive and dont like outsiders. There was a small peace of fluff on them in the last marine codex.

I wouldn't have a single problem playing that army - if nothing else, it's a colour scheme I haven't seen before so at least I'd know there'd be some conversation potential about the chapter during the game.

Besides, at my local club, there's a decent mix of armies there, so it's hardly a chore for me to play marines.

And Ashamed? No reason to be - I've got two MEq armies (Salamanders and Chaos), and have two more planned to bolster my imperial forces (Witchhunters and Daemonhunters), and on top of that, I've got Dark Eldar and Imperial Guard...(And yes, my opponents do hate making a list to combat me since I never tell them which army I'll use...)

Getifa Ubazza
12-12-2006, 19:08
There is nothing wrong with playing Marines. But there is nothing wrong with that guy rolling his eyes, as long as it wasn't meant personally.

Imaging him having played against Marines 10 times in a row. What do you expect? Enthusiasm?

No it wasnt ment personally, I completly understand him rolling his eyes, i would to if all i got to play against was marines. Thats the reason for the shame. To clarify, the guy who rolls his eyes isnt one guy, he's a mix of many players over the years, mostly vets to be honest. Kids dont seem to mind playing against marines every week, they are usually just happy to get a game.

==Me==
12-12-2006, 19:10
As stated before, "Have Pride in Your Colors"

I started with marines and they are still ==My== favorite (40k) army to date. As long as you have a unique list (none of this las/plas, assault cannon spam bs), painted models (I don't care how good/bad they look, at least you put in the effort), and a great attitude in game then nobody should have any complaints.

The guy rolling his eyes is so typical of the elitists in this game and how silly they are. I play marines because I love the fluff, so I'm automatically a noob or powergamer? Yeah right. He should be ashamed for acting like a snob when you are both playing with plastic soldiers. I can only assume what army he plays...

PS-Silver Skulls? I've never seen them in person before, rock on!

Getifa Ubazza
12-12-2006, 19:28
As long as you have a unique list (none of this las/plas, assault cannon spam bs), painted models (I don't care how good/bad they look, at least you put in the effort), and a great attitude in game then nobody should have any complaints.

PS-Silver Skulls? I've never seen them in person before, rock on!

My army is all infantry and every squad is a full 10 man squad, as for las/plas, i do use a lot of plasma guns but i prefer missile launchers over lascannons, mostly the look of the weapon than for ingame effect. My terminators have assault cannons but i dont use them much as i like the look on my opponents face when i put down squad after squad of basic tac-marines and assault marines, it works great against other meq armies who spend lots of points on tanks and uber characters.

Light of the Emperor
12-12-2006, 19:43
I've played against so many marine armies that it isn't even funny. While I love the marine stories, art etc...I hate playing against them. I really, really hate playing against them.

BUT

A marine force centered around a particular storyline or theme and/or a force that is really well painted is something I enjoy playing against.

What I'm trying to get at, if you can break the mold in terms of what is expected of marines, then it would be an honor to play against you.

Remember that its all about enjoying yourself. If you have fun with marines, then keep going. Keep playing them and build up another non marine force on the side while you do so.
In the end, its all good.

Helicon_One
12-12-2006, 23:02
Oh, that's cool, no shame required then. If it had been Ultras or Templars, on the other hand....!

Tim

lapis_lazuli
13-12-2006, 00:00
I've always been quite intrigued by Silver Skulls. Ah well, maybe you should be slightly less ashamed! :p

But, again, if it really bothers you, paint away and play one of your other armies for a while. There's no point playing Space Marines if you're constantly feeling bad about it. If you're not happy with your army then change it.

paddyalexander
13-12-2006, 00:41
I get the same reaction, I then field either an all biker army, A highly mobile templar list(every unit has a transport, bikes & assault marines) or a fluffy Deathguard army.

The biker list gets the biggest supprise reaction, I often get a "You can do that?" reaction when my templars assualt from stationary Rhinos and the Deathguard army is usally well recieved.

Kromando33
13-12-2006, 00:49
I think it's not so much the rules or whatever for SM that people are annoyed with, but just that people like variety when they play, unless of course the las-spam appears.

I pride myself on always doing stuff like bringing 9 oblits to the table :)

catdubh
13-12-2006, 00:58

And so you should be ashamed!
MARINES - well if that the way you want to live your life!;)
At least they are not a nice shade of pastel blue, or whatever colour is in this season. O Brother mateus pink is just so your colour:)

Jokes aside, when asked don't say you play Marines, say you have a balanced silver skulls army, just sounds better (I pray you haven't go a 13 ASS CANNON army of doom). The rest is down to you, if you play the game in a fun and friendly way I'm sure you will never lack opponents. Yes because of there numbers Marine armies can be boring to play against (same old same old). That said I never turn down the opportunity to kill the big shinny buggers :angel:

However playing Marines is a bit like supporting Man U, sorry you've got to expect the grief, goes with the territory, even if it is unfair. As others have said you have a painted army on the table, thats something to be proud of, no mater what army it is.
Good luck

Marines, thank the emperor for us billions of flak jacketed lasgun armed guard.:p

Gensuke626
13-12-2006, 02:12
Don't be ashamed Broodlord...just get off your butt and paint an army to your namesake. Shake up the world with some buggies for a while...

But you know deep down inside you want to build a WAAAGH! right? Da Orks are always looking for a few Green Men!

Hellebore
13-12-2006, 03:12
I'm sick and tired of seeing people whip out marine armies, but hey I play marines, I use my space wolves all the time.

Dn't feel ashamed when you play this game, you don't take up hobbies to be ashamed (unless that's your thang), so don't be.

However, I would recommend finishing your other armies.

The argument that people all have marine chapters would be lessened if the people who said it actually brought a non marine army with them - think about what you'd rather play against, and do it for someone else.

I play my eldar army alot these days because most of the people I know play marines - seeing the light in their face from the gratitude at not having to fight another marine army brings a tear to my eye every time (of course it brings tears to theirs too, but that's because my eldar whoop their arses) :D

Hellebore

viokni
13-12-2006, 03:26

Dude you have the EXACT same problem as me. Down to the letter. I have SM's and I am working on an Eldar army, because of my standards I won't go in and play an unpainted army.

S.T.A.R.S. Myn
13-12-2006, 03:27
Marines are definately an army to be proud of. I play Black Templars only because when I bought the starter set (the one with Marines and Dark Eldar) I painted them just like I saw them on the box. Never looked back.

Nabeshin1106
13-12-2006, 03:54
I'm sick and tired of seeing people whip out marine armies, but hey I play marines, I use my space wolves all the time.

Dn't feel ashamed when you play this game, you don't take up hobbies to be ashamed (unless that's your thang), so don't be.

However, I would recommend finishing your other armies.

The argument that people all have marine chapters would be lessened if the people who said it actually brought a non marine army with them - think about what you'd rather play against, and do it for someone else.

I play my eldar army alot these days because most of the people I know play marines - seeing the light in their face from the gratitude at not having to fight another marine army brings a tear to my eye every time (of course it brings tears to theirs too, but that's because my eldar whoop their arses) :D

Hellebore

Seconded.

I have a Space Wolves army, and a mostly Grey Knight Daemonhunters army, but I've pretty much stopped using them because pretty much everyone else plays Space Marines. I usually bring my Tyranids, and eveyone wants to play against me because I'm not using a type of Marine army.

If I make a second Marine army, I'll probably do something so different from a standard marine army, that it won't be like fighting what everyone else has. Something like Deathwing or Ravenwing, or an army with mosty Scouts.

It is tiring playing Marines over and over again, but I don't grudge my opponent's for having them. If you like the army, good for you. Play something you like rather than what everyone else wants you to play.

ss_cherubael
13-12-2006, 04:05
man whats wrong with playing marines? whats wrong with playing against them?

NOTHING!

i like playing against marines as my guard always have a hard time against the super humans and so its a fun and enjoyable game always, i have a space marine army on the way after a long time away from power armour and if i ever got a response like that the offending person would end up face down on the fething floor.

Mr_Smiley
13-12-2006, 07:27
There is nothing to be ashamed about by playing marines, who cares what others think, the only reason you should ever be ashamed about your army is if you don't like it, not because of others.

Poisonpen
13-12-2006, 08:06
I just question the sanity of somebody that places importance on what other people's plastic models of choice are. :wtf:

People that ride others for selecting an army they have some beef against make me cringe. I was going to start Dark Eldar as my first army, but the local gaming club beat that idea out of my head. A few months later I realized they were full of crap, but by that time I was broke (Witch Hunters will do that to ya').

Anyway I have SM and if anybody gives me that roll-eyes face I'd have a good mind to pluck out an eye and show them just how foolish they look. Not to say I don't understand what playing the SAME army over-and-over is like. 1/3rd of the players at my local store play Tau, 1/3 SM (vanilla no less), and the rest have Eldar or Necrons with very few exceptions. This is where I don't understand some reactions. The way an unwanted SM encounter should go is a bit like this:

PlayerA: "Want to play a game?"
PlayerB: "Sure, how many points?"
PlayerA: "1500, have enough?"
PlayerB: "Hmm... Yeah, I have 1500 of <insert chapter here>."
PlayerA: "Oh... I'm sorry, but the past X games I have played have been against SM's. I'm am SM'd out... have any other armies?"
PlayerB might have another army to use, or may not. The point is the situation is handled with simple etiquette. Tact begets tact. Rudeness begets rudeness. Example:

PlayerA: "Want to play a game?"
PlayerB: "Sure, how many points?"
PlayerA: "1500, have enough?"
PlayerB: "Hmm... Yeah, I have 1500 of <insert chapter here>."
PlayerA: "*********** Space Marines n00b!"
PlayerB: *Eyerip*
PlayerC: FATALITY!

BrainFireBob
13-12-2006, 08:51
I've felt that way, and y'know what? It's not your problem if they're judging your army before it hits the table.

Rick_1138
13-12-2006, 08:57
There is absolutely nothing wrong with space marines.

I have had 4 SM armies, all different, from Vanilla to raspberry ripple! lol

Seriously though, the models are getting better and better, the fluff continues to excel, and Space Marines are a challenge to play well, my first army when i got back into the hobby (3rd ed) was 2000\1500 Ultramarines, i lost heaps of games whilst re-learning how to play, then my 2 mates helped me develop the army, in the end i had a balanced force, that won lots of games.

It never got tiresome, when someone asked "what you got mate?"....Ultramarines i would say, they went "oh god, okay i will give your vanilla assa whuppin), 6 turn later i was shaking his hand with a smile on my face!

Oh and by the way GW, i wont buy the new DA special figures, you can't make me....nope....i wont get my credit card out....no...nO...NO!.....Bugger.

But as i say, Marines are the bread and butter of GW, it basically pays for all the wages, after that its all surplus, thats why Space Marines are so overdone, and why not, i like marines, i will do my BA, play with them a while, get my Biel-Tan army o doom, painted perdy, then get a Dark Angels army, why...because i want to!

Never be Ashamed, and if they go "Tsk...marine Noob" Kick his ass with your army, through better tactics and guile, then he (or she!) wont laugh at your marines and you can hold head high!

SON OF LION
13-12-2006, 09:17
I feel ashamed that you were made to feel ashamed.

Stereotypes are a very real problem in life and sadly it applies to wargaming as well. Not every SM army is a carbon copy of every other SM army and they really shouldn't be treated so.

MaxORK
13-12-2006, 10:33
You just have to understand that most of the time a game of 40k invloves one of the armies being Meq. This results in a very typical game style.

(For example) I have never played against a Marine player that moves towards my Orks, just gets boring.

Bjorn Stormwolf
13-12-2006, 12:04
I'm not ashamed at all of my space wolf force. It is nicely themed around a typical Wolf Guard Battle Leader and his patrol/balanced troops and painted with a lot of love, care and attention. No mad/powerful characters, no assault cannons just lots of troops and a ven dread named (Dave the Elder).

They have graced many a battlefield and emerged victorious (rarely) or battered and bruised (often). Being Space Wolves its easy to think of a narrative reason for them fighting just about anyone... violent little bleeders.

The only way i'd be embarrassed by an army is if it was blatantly lopsided (selectionwise, not literally off balance... although that would be embarrassing too...) and unfluffy, or if i hadn't bothered painting them.

MaxORK
13-12-2006, 12:41
If you are embarrased in a certain situation then it must mean you are uncumfortable in tthat environment, maybe you should try a club or something, that way people may rib you for being a space marine player but it won't make you feel uncomfortable or embarrased.

Anubis_the_Harlie
13-12-2006, 13:15
That guy is a snob, sure nearly all people that are new to the hobby do marines but so what, serioulsy. Plus your army is painted and that is something not many people have achieved. Personally I NEVER field an unpainted/unbased model but I don't mind if my opponent does but it's all the better if they are painted + based...

So in conclusion, don't feel ashamed you have a cool non-Ultramarines painted army, anyone who has a problem with that does not deserve any attention at all.

jfrazell
13-12-2006, 14:43
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with playing marines. Ok, so we're a very popular army and usually the army of choice for newbies, but therein lies their advantage. Most people who find out you're a marine player will think you're a newbie. You could use this. See, if they think you're new, they'll make silly errors which you can exploit. I've seen a tyranid army decimated by space marines who were outnumbered 3:2 bugs to marines.

I think that is the problem. Although there are variances by locality, in general the vast majority of players are MEQs. Playing MEQs gets old pretty quickly, and pretty much drove me out of 40K for almost a year (just now re-starting). Its often not a "can't beat 'em thing," but more of a "Mmmm, green marines, almost just ike the blue marines I played last week and the red marines I played the week before."

Luke
13-12-2006, 14:47
MEQ? Pardon my ignorance but I hear this bounced around a lot and do not know what it means.

Hellebore
13-12-2006, 14:50
Marine Equivalent, it's a dumb acronym for a dumb analogy, but meh(q):p

Hellebore

Sleazy
13-12-2006, 15:00
silver skull sare probably the rarest Marine army out there, I always think back to Rogue Trader when they are mentioned, they were quite the big deal then.

jfrazell
13-12-2006, 15:42
MEQ? Pardon my ignorance but I hear this bounced around a lot and do not know what it means.

Basically anything 3+ save with similar stats. That would include marines, chaos marines, GKs, and to a lesser extent Necrons. SOB are sometimes included in this category and sometimes not.

I'm not against MEQs, just that they can get dull to play against.

Luke
13-12-2006, 16:08
Oh in that case, I find "meq"s a joy to fight against as it usually means that against my own Marine armies, they provide a fairly level playing field where it often comes down to simply who is the best general or who plays the more tactical game.

That is what I find fun. Two evenly matched armies trying to outwit each other.

MaxORK
13-12-2006, 16:19
Well I have found watching the games of 2 Meq armies is a roll up between who choose the best list and who is the luckiest. Often tactics are thrown out the window...

Curufew
13-12-2006, 16:31
I started off with Tau and I'm about to finish collecting 1.5k of them. Planning to play,collect and create a Blood Angels successor chapter soon.

redbaron998
13-12-2006, 16:32
Basically anything 3+ save with similar stats. That would include marines, chaos marines, GKs, and to a lesser extent Necrons. SOB are sometimes included in this category and sometimes not.

I'm not against MEQs, just that they can get dull to play against.

GKs are so different from SM I dont think you can call them MEQ and they are defintely a whole different ball game to play against

Achaian
13-12-2006, 16:36

With comments such as these,mate,you could come under Inquisitorial scrutiny you know.....:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

azimaith
13-12-2006, 16:49

Don't be ashamed to play marines unless:
A: You use them to be a win at all costs powergamer.
B: Play them because zomg they are teh leetest super gangsta warriors of da empura!

Know your fluff (and that your basically playing a super powered Nazi SS force) and you're fine.

Think they're super man and you should be ashamed.

guillimansknight
13-12-2006, 16:55
Oh, that's cool, no shame required then. If it had been Ultras or Templars, on the other hand....!

Tim

you got somthing against Templars? (cracks knuckles)

Fable
13-12-2006, 16:56
1) Don't feel ashamed for the army you play. Especially since you have a fully painted army. most people don't, so that's really cool and unique in and of itself.

2) Don't judge these non-marine players too harshly. We are allowed to roll our eyes in frustration.

Xenos players aren't the only ones sick of playing Marines. Marine players are as well, so when we go to a club we can end up with 5 or 6 people trying to set up games against us, all of which are very excited to play us as we are something different, all of which are MEQs and begin to blend into one another for us. I'm an Eldar player for over 10 years with side armies of Nids and Dark Eldar, but Eldar is the only one I put any effort into, and a lot at that. Unless I'm testing out new units for a first try I'll generally only play with painted units (I've been replacing some units as I'm a better painter now than when I started).

I don't mind when someone else plays marines, but part of that is because two of my friends have begun experimenting with Imperial Guard (ending my six year run of playing against ONLY marines).

Nothing can make a Xenos player hate the assault rules like only playing against marines who are always either fearless or have ATSKNF, while your units are getting wiped out even if they're statistically favored but have a bad round of rolling. ANY non-marine player is at a serious disadvantage in assault due to the sweeping advance wipe out rules and we are allowed to resent that.

We are allowed to resent that we're the spice that makes the game interesting, but we're almost always denied to taste of it ourselves.

In the same vein you are allowed to love your Space Marine army and take as much joy and pride out of the work you've done building and painting and playing them as we are allowed.

The more we understand each other the more the Marine players and non-marines will enjoy playing the game. Especially because we have so much in common:

Marine players love their army.
Xenos players love their army.
Marine players find Marine armies boring to play against.
Xenos players find Marine armies boring to play against.
Marine players are excited to play against Xenos armies.
Xenos players are excited to play against Xenos armies.

Have fun gaming. Be proud of your army.

jfrazell
13-12-2006, 18:34
GKs are so different from SM I dont think you can call them MEQ and they are defintely a whole different ball game to play against

Slightly OTT but here goes (mind you before we start I'ver played against four GK armies and all but one have been enjoyable).
-they deepstrike/teleport
-they have termies and tac squads
-they have landraiders and dreads

My tactics against them are identical to those of other marine players. I played them with guard, LATD, and IW lists and treated them no differently than other marines and had the same level of success.

Interestingly I'm also 4-0 against GK's, I don't think they are a Tier One list.

Hadhfang
13-12-2006, 20:02
here's another idea, one i'm in favor for as no-one at my club wants to play CoD.

Play different missions.

there's the raid scenarios and the battle scenarios, and then theres the CoD mssions, playing one of them against a marine army or someone wo has played bariens for the last few hours might make the game more interesting, for both players (I love the cities of death rules but no-one will pay against me, so if three marine players in succession wanted to play against me i'd be up for a variety of games)

The_Outsider
13-12-2006, 22:10
You know what is worse than everyone having a marine army (which to be fair isn't that bad)?

Noone has heard of any mission that doesn't use a standard FoC and has scenario specific rules!!!

Anyway, so what if you play marines, technically I play marines but how often do you see a 13th company army in real life? The only marines I hate facing are min maxed chessefest lists, otherwise its fair game.

IMO bring'em on, more enemies to slay and more lands to conquer!

Greatoliver
13-12-2006, 22:26
Boy, you should see the stick Tau get! ;)

Seriously, a fair amount of people play Tau and in some ways, people like playing them less than Space Marines. This is really because Tau are real dastards to play against with all their Railguns and Crisis Suits while Marines are just resilient.

To the topic, don't be ashamed. In the words of Andy:

"Donít be ashamed
You donít have to hide away
Donít be ashamed
Love will mend your broken wing
Time will slip away
Learn to be brave and not ashamed"

(Bold added/replaced words)

I'm ashamed I know those lyrics...Erasure = perhaps not the best reputation if you listen to them...which I don't - my sis does!

Anyway, look up and say "Space Marines". He might roll his eyes and all you need to do is grin. He might give you a quizzical look but ignore that and play a game. That's what I do.

For example, a group of kids younger than me (if poss.!) were sitting on a bench while I was walking into school to do a rehearsal for a carol service (ya-boo-sucks...it wasn't great) and they said something like puff or something. I personally don't think I look homosexual or anything but it's standard insult.
Now, I'm quite a tall lad and I'm a bit querky so instead of walking on I stopped, turned, said "Pardon?" and grinned. Their faces were great. They weren't caused any harm as I didn't insult them but all I did was to catch them when they thought they wouldn't get a reply. I wouldn't say I was horrible as I did it in a very good mannered way but it does give them something to think about. :rolleyes:

Yep, that's how I get my kicks - I patrol the streets and do abnormal things, eccentric things. ;)

Listen to Andy!

Tulun
13-12-2006, 22:50
There's nothing wrong, inheriantly, with playing Marines. It's just that people do get tired of the same old thing. Marines are the biggest seller.

And, generally speaking, you will likely see the 'mass heavy weapons of death' marines (dev squads and tactical squads up the wazoo. I guess they never heard of Bikes, assault marines, a Master Commander, a Predator... Terminators... etc... etc..). This is really GW fault for making the Traits the way they did.

So, no, don't be ashamed. Field a remotely different Marine army, and it'll likely surprise them, and have fun. I really wanna do a Deathwing style army, because I think the new Terminator Models are incredible. I doubt it would win very often, though.

Marshal2Crusaders
14-12-2006, 03:22
you got somthing against Templars? (cracks knuckles)

GET HIM BROTHERS!!!TO THE LAND RAIDER CRUSADER!!!!!

BOT: Dude, I have sworn off playing other Marines otuside of Tournies, not because I am an elitist prick but should the Sons of the Emperor really be fighting.

<Insert Rant about how noobillisious I am, Then about the Astral claws, Then about Dark Angels v. Space Wolves> I just dont think its right.

Where I play, we have a good mix of armies, FoF and Eldar seem to be highly competative lists right now and I have devoted my life to making Templars competative again.

luchog
14-12-2006, 20:17
Noone has heard of any mission that doesn't use a standard FoC and has scenario specific rules!!!

Oh gods. Yeah. It is completely impossible to find anyone else interested in Kill Team. Not one. I've tried many, many times.

Tom
15-12-2006, 00:20
Kill team rules ned a good lot of work to get properly cinematic*, but it can be done.

And having an occasional scenario scenario, not a standard scenario, really works. Most of the people I know rate them as their favourite games, but they're always worried their opponents won't let them do it.

*Treat each member of the team as independents, completely ignore the force org rules in the book and go for what feels right, and a few other things. When the occasional Brute is actually wielding a Big Shoota, it becomes a good chunk more interesting. Our KT games end up looking more like hideously unbalanced Necromunda.

Sleazy
15-12-2006, 08:51
well this (and another) thread inspired me, last night I dug out the big box of marines that have sat in my spare room for years and started painting them up as Soul Drinkers.

Theres something refreshingly familiar about starting a Marine army.

prince_dios
15-12-2006, 09:45
IG and 'Nids are really popular around here, for some reason.

The the extent that I'm stripping and repainting my old Blood Angels as Crimson Fists.(also, to distract me from buying new guys)

I took three years off 40k, and I am not so bored with marines anymore. I mean, the Rhino rush was really dull and my guard would almost always soak up the bolter shells and seize the day. But now that there are drop pods and the terminators can always teleport, they have the feel of an elite strike force.

Anyways, I'm really not perturbed by playing against Space Marines. If you don't ignore objectives and have a painted army, I'd be happy to play against you.