PDA

View Full Version : Soul Drinker start up

Cain1001
12-12-2006, 22:52
I still haven't decided on which codex to use. i just bought the Space Marines Codex and I like it, but I am looking over the Chaos one too.

Here are two pics of the firts two Soul Drinkers. I modified an old Space Wolves Dreadnought too.......

http://home.surewest.net/~cdarracq/Pictures/Souldrinker3.jpg

http://home.surewest.net/~cdarracq/Pictures/Souldrinker2.jpg

I ordered the 1st book in the series also, Soul Drinkers and I will order the others too. I noticed in Soul Drinkers Omnibus that they have full gold trim. When looking in the Space Marines codex I see the Hawk Lords have Liche Purple and gold. In the Chaos codex I see the Extinction Angels have Liche purple and Bone.

:evilgrin:

Gearux
12-12-2006, 23:13
Well Soul Drinkers are usually depicted as having deep purple armour with gold trim.

Umm... do you realize that you glued the shoulder pads upside down?:confused:

Cain1001
12-12-2006, 23:21
Well Soul Drinkers are usually depicted as having deep purple armour with gold trim.

Umm... do you realize that you glued the shoulder pads upside down?:confused:

Yes, I wanted a broader shoulder look so I switched the pads over. The dark purple just looks black with a wash, so I went with something you could see on a tabletop game.

I want them to standout from Space Marines and Chaos Marines. Not being either, but being close to both.

Cill
12-12-2006, 23:25
Soul Drinkers are amazing. I'm still trying to figure out how to model Sarpedon.... :wtf:
And I have some MArines like that..... Got them off my gf's little brother. They are referred to as the '80's' Marines in my GW..... :P

Cain1001
13-12-2006, 00:19
I have figured out what I am going to do with them list wise.

I am going Chaos and when I want to use them as a drop pod army I will switch to the Space Marine codex.

Since they are excommunicate it doesn't matter fluffwise which codex I use. Now my only dilema is weither to use undivided or single out a god to pair with.

I purchased the UltraMarines Honorguard set and will use them as my retinue. Since I haven't started on the books I will just make standard chacters.

I will try and make updates as I go.

Grimtuff
13-12-2006, 00:24
I am going Chaos and when I want to use them as a drop pod army I will switch to the Space Marine codex.

Since they are excommunicate it doesn't matter fluffwise which codex I use.

Erm, yes it does. You might want to have the decency to inform your opponent of what list is being used before the game, you can't just go about switching willy-nilly.

Cain1001
13-12-2006, 01:35
Erm, yes it does. You might want to have the decency to inform your opponent of what list is being used before the game, you can't just go about switching willy-nilly.

What in my post made you think it was neccessary to post a reply like that?

I don't recall making a point to screw anyone over in a game. I play for fluff so it should be obvious that I would inform another player what I was playing.

Thanks for your concern.

CelestialDragonKing
13-12-2006, 04:16
I don't think they have drop pods anymore. they've lost most of the old ships they had.

I think undivided would be best way to go. zekers maybe but i don't think it's needed.

They are an assault based chapter so the chaos codex allows for all troop marines to be able to take cc weapons but I would give them the vet ability of furious charge too. They don't seem to have jump packs though. don't know why they wouldn't. I think you could get away with having raptors.

What are you thinking of using for Sarpedon?

Chaos Lord Sorcerer
Daemonic speed with Move Through Cover skill (spider legs)
Furious Charge
Daemonic Muation (termi honors)
Daemonic weapon (force staff)
Not sure what could be used for psychic power.
The mark of Tzeentch might work well for him but he would have to be an indep character then. He would have to be with the move through cover skill anyway.

Cain1001
13-12-2006, 06:03
I don't think they have drop pods anymore. they've lost most of the old ships they had.

I think undivided would be best way to go. zekers maybe but i don't think it's needed.

They are an assault based chapter so the chaos codex allows for all troop marines to be able to take cc weapons but I would give them the vet ability of furious charge too. They don't seem to have jump packs though. don't know why they wouldn't. I think you could get away with having raptors.

What are you thinking of using for Sarpedon?

Chaos Lord Sorcerer
Daemonic speed with Move Through Cover skill (spider legs)
Furious Charge
Daemonic Muation (termi honors)
Daemonic weapon (force staff)
Not sure what could be used for psychic power.
The mark of Tzeentch might work well for him but he would have to be an indep character then. He would have to be with the move through cover skill anyway.

Yeah, Chaos Undivided is my current focus just because all of the good stuff that leaves a gleam in my eye for the Space Marine Codex is new tech that the Soul Drinkers wouldn't have access to.

I will work in two points that I really want for this army:

#1 A lot of solid base troops
#2 Terminators

I love Termies, (didn't they use them to board Space Hulks ala boarding party detail?)

I would like to have a wave of Close Combat troops backed by a couple solid Tac squads. I want them to look old school not shininy and new, so I will need to learn some painting techniques to get that look.

Zynix
13-12-2006, 06:11
I'm pretty sure the Soul Drinkers have bone trim. Most people think gold because of Sarp on the cover, he has gold trim there. They mention this in the first book.

Antigonos
13-12-2006, 06:49
I love Termies, (didn't they use them to board Space Hulks ala boarding party detail?)

Actually they did not. The only time I remember a Terminator armour mentioned is at the time they storm the Nurgle Deamon Prince's fortress and then it is clearly mentioned that this armour was one of the last and venerated ones of the chapter. At this occasion the armour is worn by a Sergeant leader of tactical squad of Powered Armoured Marines.

So, I would say that if you want to stay fluffy you should not include Terminator squads at all, not even one. But, if you want to include some of them (I know the models rock) use the trait from the Space Marines Codex:Scions of Mars, which lets you upgrade your Tactical Squad's Veterans Sergeants' armour to Terminator ones.

I'm pretty sure the Soul Drinkers have bone trim. Most people think gold because of Sarp on the cover, he has gold trim there. They mention this in the first book.

That's right too. Only Sarpedon's shoulderpad has golden trimming and it is indicative of his rank.

Cain1001
13-12-2006, 09:25
I can tell that I really need to read the books. According to the UPS tracker, my copy of Soul Drinker from Barnes & Noble should arrive tomorrow hopefully!

Then I can get idea of what to do further...............:evilgrin:

Rlyehable
13-12-2006, 12:23
I can tell that I really need to read the books...

Yes, read all 3 books and then decide at which point in their journey you wish to field them.

- Loyal, assault oriented army -- use traited SM list.
- Full chaos army -- use CSM, undivided, no daemons.
- Loyal, renegade army -- SM list with 'Flesh over Steel' and 'Faithful until Death' disadvantages.

Or you could make lists/traits/ for all 3 stages.

Heero-Severus
13-12-2006, 13:07
Its a bit odd that your after a fluff army, yet havent read the fluff on that army?
Best way of doing this is definatly using the chaos codex, but not overdoing things, squads of 10 (cant remember if you can have these in chaos) all with bolt guns, they had great drills for hail of fire, You may want a squad of possessed. Just one mind. No termies. And as much as Sarpedon is the big tough guy, i think most 40k characters listed in the dex's could take him down.

Cain1001
13-12-2006, 19:33
Its a bit odd that your after a fluff army, yet havent read the fluff on that army?
Best way of doing this is definatly using the chaos codex, but not overdoing things, squads of 10 (cant remember if you can have these in chaos) all with bolt guns, they had great drills for hail of fire, You may want a squad of possessed. Just one mind. No termies. And as much as Sarpedon is the big tough guy, i think most 40k characters listed in the dex's could take him down.

Well, I have read all of the fluff I can on websites including the 1st chapter of Soul Drinker. I have chosen the Chaos Codex for now, but I will be using the Space Marine codex to give me variety.

I read a Q&A session with the author, (who plays 40k himself) and he stated that the Soul Drinkers would use Termies and vehicles...He just didn't have many of them in his stories. He said the design for them was fast assault/boarding party, but that the Chapter did have Heavies.

noneedforaname
13-12-2006, 19:40
There is only one termie in the books after there turn from the imperium an thats karreiden(sp) and they have no support vehicles or dreads to speak of, the either used abandoned xeno tech or "requisition" any imperial stuff knocking around.

In all seriousness read the the books it will give you a greater depth of knowledge into pre and post fall make up of the chapter and LOADS of conversion ideas.

Heero-Severus
13-12-2006, 21:51
Well, I have read all of the fluff I can on websites including the 1st chapter of Soul Drinker. I have chosen the Chaos Codex for now, but I will be using the Space Marine codex to give me variety.

I read a Q&A session with the author, (who plays 40k himself) and he stated that the Soul Drinkers would use Termies and vehicles...He just didn't have many of them in his stories. He said the design for them was fast assault/boarding party, but that the Chapter did have Heavies.

But surely what sets a fluff army out from any other space marine army (especially relevent to fiction series) is how closely the army follows to the books.
Which brings into point the time frame, are we talking book 1-2-3 or post 3, The items i would personally use to make my army unique would be the scout squads with initiate psykers, these could be modelled so well.

As for Ben Counter, the books were inspired by his own army, which apparently he did bring into Portsmouth GW.

Cain1001
14-12-2006, 00:29
Ben Counter stated that even though the books didn't have many Heavies or Termies to speak of it wasn't intended that they didn't have any. He just didn't use many in his books.

As stated above, to stick to the books makes the army more geared for fluff and I agree. I may add in a wrinkle or two if the books give me an opening to expand on.............:)