PDA

View Full Version : Best army for small battles...

Ork
13-12-2006, 02:45
Which army do you think is best for smaller games? By smaller we'll say 1500 points. 1500 point games don't allow Lord choices, 1 Rare, ect, so which army is best suited 1500 pts.

Personally I thought Wood Elves would be good, with a few small archer squads and a unit or two of dryads or wardancers.

Thanks in advance,

-Eli

Einholt
13-12-2006, 03:17
I like small brettonian force with hero, BSB. knights and skirmishing bowmen. like 600 pts even less like 9 knights.

Highborn
13-12-2006, 03:17
Wood Elves' main struggle at this level is their ability to counter armour.

I would say Bretonnians, who aren't really hit by having one less rare or special slot.

Tutore
13-12-2006, 07:28
Perhaps Bretonnia, but also orcs and goblins are ok. High elves also don´t need the lord choice, but sometimes need those 2 rare choices that start at 2000...

Falkman
13-12-2006, 12:12
I think Bretonnians are pretty good.
In a 750 pts map-based campaign run a couple of years ago I smashed all resistance with them.

Varath- Lord Impaler
13-12-2006, 12:42
Dwarfs, you can go running around ignoring the powerful units when you want to win.

Also dwarf shooting supremacy can take more of a toll on the enemy.

Alexandr0
13-12-2006, 13:19
Im sticking with a wood elf tree army. The dryads are tough therefore hard to take down, cause fear, so plenty of other armies have a chance to freak out (Unless you're dwarfs:mad:), the treemen cause terror, the dryads skirmish giving shooty armies a big problem. My ideal list would be maybe 3 or 4 units of dryads, 2 3-man treekin units, a treeman, a banner bearer and a wizard to cast treesinging.

Griefbringer
13-12-2006, 15:50
Dwarfs, you can go running around ignoring the powerful units when you want to win.

With movement 3?

However, dwarves have very good basic leadership, so you don't really need to have a lord around boosting it.

Briohmar
13-12-2006, 15:58
Chaos MSU armies are especially good at the 1500 points level, in fact any hard hitting and fast moving MSU force does particularly well in this environment. Dwarves are however pretty close to immovable in a game like this unless you can hit them one unit at a time, from two or three sides. For a 1500 point tourney (fairly common here and in Germany) I will build my army to beat dwarves. Everything else is gravy.

snurl
13-12-2006, 21:46
[QUOTE=Griefbringer;1144259]With movement 3?QUOTE]

Yes, but remember that they are relentless, so unless they are in difficult terrain, they march move 6"

I have played quite a few 1000 point games with Dwarves and they win more often than not.

Move Fast Hit Low
14-12-2006, 02:09
its definitely a toss up between Brets and WE

SeaCaptain
14-12-2006, 08:46
A few years back I was involded in a 500 point campaign, and no one could take down a Beast man player. He schooled everyone, all the time at 750 and under.

See Above
14-12-2006, 20:55
It seems to me in all the small campaigns I have participated my Beastmen force or others Wood Elf forces have done the best. With increased manourverablity one can easily get the flanks and break even the toughest units.

bluebugs
14-12-2006, 21:37
At warband levels My lizardmen owned. With the limit of 1 chariot per army, my kroxigor had nothing to fear. A skink shaman and 2 big blocks of skinks was just unbearable. The only Army it lost against was dwarfs and the only reason I lost was because My opponet never played dwarfs and confused many ward and armor saves.

Loi_Luis
14-12-2006, 22:21
i think vampire counts i pretty good at small points , few numberd units whit zombiez and skellies and a good necromancer who raise !

gjnoronh
14-12-2006, 22:21
Cheaper troops for warband size games allows you to take a couple of inexpensive units as well as your basic core while leaving points for characters. So beasts are good (they are also quite versatile) but so are several other lists.

at 1500 IMO most of the lists play the same as they do at 2000, undead take a hit as they are stuck with less slots for casters that are essential to making the list work (i.e. tombkings 3 slots one prince and down to two casters of which one must be the hierophant - makes you quite cautious I would geuss.)

I actually once played in a 750 point tournament with daemonic legion - that was not easy to put together at all.

Battle report:
http://cybermessageboard.fatcow.com/ren-ga/viewtopic.php?t=126

max the dog
15-12-2006, 04:40
Small battles actually start at under 1000pts and at that level Wood Elves rock!!!! Their biggest strength is speed and in battles of that level there won't be many units to slow them down. Don't ignore their ability to shoot you to death. My Wood Elves have effectively won battles with no close combat numerous times.
In battles between 1000pts to 1800pts the Wood Elves continue to rock but not as much. Other armies like Brettonia can now field big units of mounted tough troops who can't be shot down and can cover lots of terrain fast.
Battles bigger than that tend to be more balanced but Wood Elves and Brettonia still rock.

txamil
15-12-2006, 06:15
Yeah wood elves would just do laps around the board. Would be deadly.

Im surprised no one has mentioned skaven. Id put money on skaven before Brettonian.

Snib
15-12-2006, 22:55
Wood Elves' main struggle at this level is their ability to counter armour.

I would say Bretonnians, who aren't really hit by having one less rare or special slot.

I would second this, my Bretonnian force has always done well, and often involved smaller (sub 1500) games. The lesser rare and special slots have little effect on the force, with the standard KotR doing a very good job when backed up with some archer support.

They have plenty of speed and flexibility, cheap rank and file to absorb the shock of the enemy, average archers to whittle the approaching enemy down, and strong knights to knock units out.

max the dog
16-12-2006, 04:37
Yeah wood elves would just do laps around the board. Would be deadly.

Im surprised no one has mentioned skaven. Id put money on skaven before Brettonian.
In small battles the Skaven can field lots of models on the board and that has it's advantages but I've never had a problem taking them out. My Wood Elves wear them down to size with archery pretty easy. Most of the Skaven toys are best in midsized to large battles.

Ork
16-12-2006, 18:55
Do you think Bretonnian's are a disadvantage in 1500 point games if have to take a BSB and a general? Or would you take that anyway even if you weren't required a general?

-Eli

Makaber
16-12-2006, 19:09
A few years back I was involded in a 500 point campaign, and no one could take down a Beast man player. He schooled everyone, all the time at 750 and under.

Beasts suffer tremendeously from their low Ld. Without a lord, you're stuck with Ld 7 on your general and majority of army. I'm not saying they can't work, but it's very either/or.

I've never managed to make it work myself, but I'm convinced Dark Elves can work fairly well at smaller point values. Corsairs have a lot of hitting power and are resilient to missile fire. They can get a flying terrorcausing monster without a lord to ride it. They also have rock hard Ld, so they don't have to rely on a Lord general to provide it. And maybe most importantly, generally speaking Dark Elf players aren't accustomed to rely on large units in the first place, so the transision in play style isn't as great.

SlaaneshSlave
16-12-2006, 20:28
I've never lost with Skaven under 1k. 1 magic user. 6 blocks of troops over 25. And a couple units of skirmishers. Didn't even seem fair.

Loi_Luis
17-12-2006, 02:20
i think ogre kingdoms maybe have a hard time when playing under 1k
they are expensive and few in numbers.

giner
17-12-2006, 11:54
That sounds familiar, khornegor just own at that level.

ViperMagnum357
10-11-2007, 00:10
It's never used much, but an elite Khorne Army based around two blocks of Warriors with Hand Weapons/Shields, size 16-20, 5 Chosen Knights with Exalted Champion, couple chariots, 2 units flesh hounds and warhounds; very solid and compact. Very tough to kill with shooting or magic, but need to deploy with some serious forethought. On the charge, Knights can wipe out pretty much any unit you can field in 1500 points:angel:, chariots to break their line and warriors for a hard point sink your opponent will have to avoid or run from. Hounds to counter skirmishers/fast cavalry, 9 dispel dice:wtf:, lots of fun without hordes of marauders or a pure cavalry force: actually use the warriors:cool:.

Alathir
10-11-2007, 01:03
I would put my money of Bretonnia for the win...

Defender of Ulthuan
10-11-2007, 15:09
For small games (now I'm talking 500-1000pts), I have to say my Night Goblins have never dissapointed me. But for 1500,... well, still my NG's with lots of finatics are in good shape. Not to mention there's always the added bonus that things could go terribly wrong! :)