PDA

View Full Version : tournaments, allies

Vet.Sister
14-12-2006, 01:08
I can't get the search thingy to provide something useful.

My question, Why (exactly) do sanctioned tournaments not allow the use of allies?

Where is this spelled out?:confused:

Lord Malek The Red Knight
14-12-2006, 01:20
wouldnt this sort of question be best asked to the organisers of the individual event? afterall, they make up the rules, dont they?

also, its important to distinguish between codex-legal allies (via C:WH or C:DH) or taking "allies" by using 2 FOCs or any other method.

~ Tim

Vet.Sister
14-12-2006, 01:29
Well, I know tournaments allow allied rules listed in codex DH & WH. Why not the two FoC??? Too big of a can of worms???

Lord Malek The Red Knight
14-12-2006, 02:10
oh and theres also stuff like Kroot, Deathwatch... probably others too.

~ Tim

Culven
14-12-2006, 16:29
Why not the two FoC??? Too big of a can of worms???
Balance. Would you want to play your 1500 point [insert army name here] army against a force using up to 4 HQ's, 6 Heavy Support, 6 Elites, 6 Fast Attack, and 4 Minimum size troops choices?

Imagine 1500 point IG using 2 FOC's. 6 Basilisks with Indirect fire is only 750 points. 4 Min Grenadiers would be 200, 2 Junior Office HQ's would be 80, leaving 470 points for other sources of amusement (for your opponent).

Seleucus
14-12-2006, 20:21
Tournament organisers are looking for each player to bring a balanced, all-comers type army, which should, to a large extent, mean that they are all broadly similar in effectiveness so that it is the players' abilities and tactics that win games.

By limiting the army to entries from one Codex, which have been play tested to make them roughly similar in strengths/weaknesses, their aims can be met.

If they allow you to take units from two or more codeces in one army, you are likely to take the strongest combination, leading to a tournament full of over-powered armies, totally negating the aim of finding the best gamer rather than the best power-gamer!

Seleucus

Vet.Sister
14-12-2006, 22:26
Plus if they made a list of who could and couldn't ally together they'd have to make judgement calls and so forth. And who wants that kind of extra work/frustration??

So I guess the no allies stuff is to Keep It Simple Silly!