PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed with the mechanical horse

borka
14-12-2006, 01:32
...and I'm not talking about the model (I don't like it, but thats not what this thread is about). I'm talking about the rules. When I first heard about about the concept, I thought that it could be kind of fun, engineers battle testing their newest, experimental, unreliable, potentially deadly invention. I saw hilarious misfire tables, out of control tables, not-working-as-intended tables before my eyes. What did we get?

A horse with impact hits. Reliable, boring.

Oh, and the model is just wrong.

/Borka

feeder
14-12-2006, 01:52
...Oh, and the model is just wrong.

/Borka

Agreed, man. SO, so wrong. I don't have a problem with the concept of clockwork contraptions, but the model...NO!

The rules are fine IMO. Simple and easy. It's a big metal horse that will do more damage if it hits you with some speed.

javaguru
14-12-2006, 02:01
...and I'm not talking about the model (I don't like it, but thats not what this thread is about). I'm talking about the rules. When I first heard about about the concept, I thought that it could be kind of fun, engineers battle testing their newest, experimental, unreliable, potentially deadly invention. I saw hilarious misfire tables, out of control tables, not-working-as-intended tables before my eyes. What did we get?

A horse with impact hits. Reliable, boring.

Oh, and the model is just wrong.

/Borka

I haven't seen the rules but the concept seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

Move Fast Hit Low
14-12-2006, 02:05
i havent seen the rules either, i like the idea but it doesnt really look like a clockwork horse to me, just looks dang ridicoulous

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
14-12-2006, 02:11
I love necrons but not in horse-form or in fantasy :P

TheWarSmith
14-12-2006, 03:57
What's w/ all the hate for the horse?

It's NOT a clockwork steed. It's a "mechanical" steed. I haven't gone through the fluff/etc. to check if they describe it as clockwork, but just think of it as mechanical in the broadest sense.

feeder
14-12-2006, 04:07
I think of it as out of place in the model sense.

intellectawe
14-12-2006, 04:22
What's w/ all the hate for the horse?

It's NOT a clockwork steed. It's a "mechanical" steed. I haven't gone through the fluff/etc. to check if they describe it as clockwork, but just think of it as mechanical in the broadest sense.

Because the horse looks like a Necron, not something made form gears and such, which would be available during the time of Warhammer.

zodgrim
14-12-2006, 07:25
The mechanical horse should have looked like a metal horse. That's it. All the gears and chains on the inside. Wind the boy up and let him ride into battle. That is Ren tech.;)

Sir_Lunchalot
14-12-2006, 08:03
I personally love it. From the pics I've seen the model is nice, and the rules are decent. Taking a flip through the army book, it's got no mention of clockwork anywhere, just that it was invented by the first woman to be (reluctantly) allowed to join the guild in her attempt to create a "carriageless horse."

As I said the rules are nice. It's not overpowering in any way, especailly considering it costs quite a bit for being a barded warhorse with impact hits. If I were planning to use an engineer I'd definitely throw him on one.

Jedi152
14-12-2006, 08:14
I think it will sell better to 40k players than fantasy.

Dwarf Longbeard
14-12-2006, 20:17
I'm very dissapointed with the mechanical horse concept for the simple reason that it's an exact copy of the Orcs Ironback Boar in terms of effect it just seems like a complete lack of original thought from GW, even if it had been described as some kind of Mechanical Barding that would have been an easier concept to beleive.

As I said it's already in the Orc & Goblin book but I hope this is something which isn't going to carry into other armies on their re-release; I'll dread hearing an High-Elf player telling me he's characters mounted on an "Enchanted Horse" or a Vampire Count player having a "Bony Nightmare"...alright that just sounds bad but I hope you can see what I'm getting at there?

As for the model I think it's just missing a little sign with the words "Hi Ho Silver Away!!"

Thats my grumble

Voltaire
14-12-2006, 20:27
Theres something that could be useful about the Mechanical Horse - with some work it might be good to turn into Death Riders for Krieg. Thats the only remotely good think I can think of about it.

blurred
14-12-2006, 20:43
When I first heard about it I thought: " Cool concept. Steampipes, cogwheels, chains and ramshackle-look all the way". And what did we get: a polished terminator-horse that is way over the top. *Sigh*

The rules are simple and that's fine, but I also hate the fact that orcs have the same thing. Boring!

Avok
14-12-2006, 21:57
I suppose I'm not a great fan of it either, but I certainly don't hate it or think it's entirely over the top. I can, however, understand the people that may think it is in fact way too much or a foolish concept.

In terms of a model, I think it's fairly well sculpted and comes out being a decent model. I guess I'm just pretty easy-going when it comes to having to stretch one's imagination and creating justifications which are entirely flawed in regards to the background and anything within reason;)

I guess it's the fact that I'm not an Empire player that makes me pretty "meh" on the whole subject.