PDA

View Full Version : imperial guard names

sagittar slaith
14-12-2006, 13:14
i usually have a habit of naming officers in my guard army but i struggle to think up names for them, how do all the other imperial guard players do ity? also i am not quite sure how the ranking in imperial guard regiments goes. any help would be much appreciated.

==Me==
14-12-2006, 13:51
Well, ==My== planned IG army (Jouran Dragoons, vengeance on the Iron Warriors!) will be led by Colonel X (haven't thought of a name yet) and Lt. Colonel Jeremiah "Remy" Chambel. X is a more macro-minded general-ish man, concerned about the battle as a whole and doesn't care about the men under his command, as long as they do what is expected of them and give him glory. Remy, however, is much more personally associated with those under his command. He eats with them in mess and is loved by his men. In fact, the only reason the guardsmen still follow X is because Remy passes his orders onto them and makes sure every guardsman understands what is expected of him and always offer support and comraderie.

That's a rough idea. Try to style the names after people you know or famous military commanders. Unlike marines, who use crazy ancient languages and archaic names, Guardsmen and their leaders use "regular" human names. With the extreme variety amongst the guard, you can make just about any regiment with any background and associated names.

Good luck

Kegluneq
14-12-2006, 13:57
Names are fairly generic - generally, if the soldier in question is higher class it'll be longer and more florid than that of a trooper with a poorer background. Definitely avoid real world English names like Sgt Jack Johnson or Trooper William Smith, since they're a bit dull (although Jak J'onson and Willem Smyt would be entirely appropriate). Also avoid using the names of real famous people. Fighting General Patton in the context of a fantasy wargame is ruining the point for most people. Random syllables thrown together is a good place to start though.

If you're having trouble, try reading a few of the BL Imperial guard novels, such as Gaunt's Ghosts or Fifteen Hours. There are many examples of different names and standards of naming in those.

Try to style the names after people you know or famous military commanders. Unlike marines, who use crazy ancient languages and archaic names, Guardsmen and their leaders use "regular" human names.
Definitely not sure about this approach... Whilst 'real' names do appear in 40k fluff, usually they're associated with high ranking individuals (Gideon and Gregor, for instance).

Ranks in the Imperial Guard are pretty much like our own ranks. They go:

Trooper
Corporal
Sergeant
Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lieutenant Colonel
Colonel
Major General
Lieutenant General
Marshal
General
Lord General
Warmaster

(Taken from the Imperial Primer, mine until the American who bought it on eBay actually sends payment :( )

Maus
14-12-2006, 14:00
Roman soldiers and officers, that's what you want. Firmus, Severus, Felix, Valens, Saturnius, Victor, Maximus, Secundus, Rufus, Severus, Ianuarius, Vitalis, Donatus, Crescens, Rogatus . . .

edit: You'll probably want to stop your ranks at captain unless your army is gigantic.

Kegluneq
14-12-2006, 14:02
Roman soldiers and officers, that's what you want.
If you want an army with about five different first names...

Maus
14-12-2006, 14:29
First names? Who needs first names -- everyone will be Private this and Sergeant that.

Setrus
14-12-2006, 15:23
Well either you could go with a theme. (Roman, greek, chinese and so on...) Or simply steal common names as smith and Andersson if you want that "real" feeling.
But naming anyone Hudson comes with the penalty of retreating guardsmen for all future! :p

Or you could use a name generator if the old grey is really dry when it comes to this...
Example: http://rinkworks.com/namegen/

Minister
14-12-2006, 15:29
I'm going through my Star Trek encyclopedia for redshirts' names for His Divine Majesty's Glorious 31st Mordian Redshirts.

Cirenivel
14-12-2006, 19:35
Ranks in the Imperial Guard are pretty much like our own ranks. They go:

Trooper
Corporal
Sergeant
Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lieutenant Colonel
Colonel
Major General
Lieutenant General
Marshal
General
Lord General
Warmaster

(Taken from the Imperial Primer, mine until the American who bought it on eBay actually sends payment :( )

The ranks of the imperial guard differs vastly from place to place. altough warmaster is basic (as there is only one at a time(at least not more than two))

Cirenivel

Lord Cook
14-12-2006, 20:28
I name my officers after the characters in books that I imagine my men to be like. It gives me a ready-made appearance and personality that I can associate with my troops.

Alternatively you could stick with a particular theme. So a Praetorian army would need British names, while a Krieg army would need German names, and so forth.

But whatever you do, don't give your men Spanish names unless you want them to fail all their moral checks. Talevera anyone?

Vaktathi
14-12-2006, 20:38
For naming, I like doing a mixing of the Empire wide roman/latin stuff with something that fits the way the unit looks.

Like for my planned Death Korps army I plant to use a mixture of german/latin to name stuff e.g. Gaius Manstein or something.

Slaaneshi Slave
14-12-2006, 20:46
There are two sorts of ranks. Soldiers and Officers. You cannot be promoted from a soldier rank to an officer rank without gaining a commision. These ranks are:

Soldiers:
Private / Trooper / Gunner / Marine etc (all the same rank, but in different trades)
Lance Corporal / Lance Bombadier etc (same again, just different trades)
Corporal
Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Warrant Officer class 2
Warrant Officer class 1

Those are all the soldier ranks.

These are officers:

2nd Lieutenant
Lieutanant
Captain
Major
Lieutenant Colonel (This guy is the commanding officer of a Regiment)
Colonel (No longer affiliated with any regiment, from here onwards they are staff officers, as opposed to regimental officers)
Brigadier (Commanding Officer of a Brigade)
Major General
General
Field Marshal

There are a few more, but you don't need to worry about them.

If you are making your own Regiment, you need to decide on a Lieutenant Colonel to lead it, and a Major to be his 2nd in command (2IC). Majors command companies (what a regiment is made up of), and Lieutenants command Troops / Platoons (what Companies are made up of).

Hope that helps.

Commanderxenos
14-12-2006, 21:38
ok, it may seem stupid... but when I want to name a character or a model, I look here: http://www.babynames.com/

The name of it may sound stupid, but it gives the nationality/origin of the name, and what the name means. So you could have all celtic names, latin, spanish.. or whatever

Minister
14-12-2006, 21:41
There are two sorts of ranks. Soldiers and Officers. You cannot be promoted from a soldier rank to an officer rank without gaining a commision. These ranks are...

Not to be too unsubtle, but, erm, wrong. IG ranks are not directly transcribed from modern military use. Colonels command regiments, majors are 2ics and senior company commanders. Captains command companies and lieutenants platoons.

tuebor
14-12-2006, 22:05
edit: You'll probably want to stop your ranks at captain unless your army is gigantic.

That's what I do. It annoys me a tiny bit to see people with Colonels and even Generals leading what would be a company-sized element at most.

Lord Cook
14-12-2006, 23:10
I translate it as:
Junior Officer = Lieutenant
Senior Officer = Captain or Major depending on preferance
Junior Officer with honorifica imperialis = Lieutenant Colonel
^ The cheapskates way.
Heroic Senior Officer = Colonel

@ tuebor
If Necron players are going to use C'tan and SM players are going to use librarians, I don't feel guilty about having a Colonel lead my IG. Maybe he's come forward to the front to get a feel for the situation and found himself rather closer to the fighting than he intended.

If we all stayed true to '40k realism' everyone would be using just their basic troops 99% of the time.

Spook101
15-12-2006, 19:06
That's what I do. It annoys me a tiny bit to see people with Colonels and even Generals leading what would be a company-sized element at most.

It says in the fourth edition rulebook that you have to immagine the 60+ men you are leading are not the only men on the field. To the left and right are more men and more officers. You are only playing with one section of a MUCH larger battle. (This is the reason you see special characters like Lord Castellan Ursarkar E. Creed for the IG leading only 75 men. He would not be there for such a small pathetic skirmish. He would only be there if it was full scale war.)

sagittar slaith
16-12-2006, 12:55
thanks for the ideas. al i need now are lots and lots of men to give the names to. now where did i leave my credit card?

Zedric
16-12-2006, 13:29
Try Seventh Sanctum's Name Generators (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-name.php) for a variety of different themes.

sigur
16-12-2006, 13:33
Basically, you can use any name you want; depending on the planet the regiment is from and the cultural background of the regiment. This is the great thing about IG: Only few other armies allow for so much creativity from your side.

Gen_eV
16-12-2006, 16:25
I decidd upon what I think is a novel theory for my planned IG force - all my officers are gonna be named after Authors, whilst the sergeants will all be named after their Characters.

Hence, Lieutenant Ellis commands sergeants Yarrow, Callahan, Wagner, Miranda and Gravel (may be changing one of them, as two come from the same story)

Oh, and I'm completely ignoring any sort of "real-world" ranking system on my force -Private, Corporal, Sergeant, Sergeant-at-Arms, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Commandant is my basic ranking system, all of which directly translates into a spearate in-game character (except Private/Corporal - Corporals lead any squad without an in-game 'sergeant')