PDA

View Full Version : Converting empire troops into Greek hoplites

ORKY ARD BOYZ
14-12-2006, 22:24
Hello

I was wondering it is better to convert the warriors of Anor into Greeks or the new Empire? Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Is there any minautres that resemble Greeks in any of the systems so I dont have to do some major greenstuff work?

Luke
14-12-2006, 22:30
Well you could just buy some Hoplite figures.
Foundry do some good ranges
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/WG/WG4.asp

I cant really think of anything in the GW range that would suit though.

swordwind
15-12-2006, 00:33
Empire troops are based on troops 3,000+ years after the Greek empire. The armour and in partiular, the clothes are too different.

As Luke said, it would be far far far easier to just buy some.

ORKY ARD BOYZ
15-12-2006, 01:19
What about the warriors of anor? It looks easy to just scult some ridges on the hemet and some hair sticking out. I want an army that can be sued in a tournament while having greek troops.

Highborn
15-12-2006, 03:25
Post edited for stupidity. Have a nice day. :D

kyussinchains
15-12-2006, 09:17
I know they're not exactly like hoplites, but the alcatani fellowship would be a good starting point

Steel_Legion
15-12-2006, 11:16
i was gonna do the same, a greek army, but dogs of war are your best bet.
Core:
Pikemen (Phalanx, alcatani fellowship are really good greek looking (cept the leader, he has pistols i think...)
Crossbows (they had those back then! i think...)

Special:
Maraduers (Barbarian Mercs)
Halfling Archers (Young boys not old enough to fight so grab a bow)

Rare:
Halfling Hotpot (Small stone thrower with a new model to fit it)

Snotteef
15-12-2006, 13:14
Crossbows (they had those back then! i think...)

Nice try, you're only about 1800 years off. ;) Sorry, but no crossbows until the middle ages. Greeks had slings and highly ineffective bows.

That being said, I tend to agree that DOW are a better choice. Pikes do a better job of representing the phalanx and Skirmishers would work quite well for slingers (seeing as how they are short ranged skirmishing units).

As for your question, I would need to now what the warriors of Anor are before I could answer.

Luke
15-12-2006, 13:18
Nice try, you're only about 1800 years off. ;) Sorry, but no crossbows until the middle ages. Greeks had slings and highly ineffective bows.

Incorrect, the ancient Greeks had access to the crossbow about 300bc, but they called it the gastraphetes. Also the chinese had them around 200bc.

The romans nicked the idea from the greeks as well as the scorpio (amongst other things).

ORKY ARD BOYZ
16-12-2006, 10:10
The arnor troops are in
http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php?pid=view_replies&thread_id=49002&forum_id=59

I was thinking of taking away the shield and sculting a circular one. taking away the headbands and sculpting a crest, (is it hard to scupt hair?) and scupting iron plates on the sides of the helmets to get the classical greek look.

Snotteef
16-12-2006, 17:27
Well, there is an awful lot of chainmail for Greeks, but if you want to give it a try. ;)

Incorrect, the ancient Greeks had access to the crossbow about 300bc

I stand corrected. However, in game terms, the effectiveness of the gastraphetes would be FAR lower than that of a true medieval crossbow. You could certainly get away with fielding them though. I was thinking more traditional warfare when I made my comment and didn't even consider the more esoteric weaponry designed by the ever ingenious Greeks. The gastraphetes was far from standard Greek kit and was really only used in long sieges (if at all).

My apologies to Steel Legion. I'll do a little more research before I make wild comments. :p

Steel_Legion
16-12-2006, 17:35
its cool, i heard they had them but wasnt sure, ancient greek warfare isnt my best strongpoint... as for foot troops, i think your going a little over the top with armour plating, i believe the greeks typically wore skinguards, greaves, a leather/bronze breastplate, helmet and a large round shield, not quite chainmail or platemail yet

General Samuel of the 101
16-12-2006, 17:49
actually most Greek Citizen Hoplites wore a Linen Cuirass,some were even naked!,The Breastplate was restricted to Oficcers and Rich People (who were not the majority of the Citizen force)

Steel_Legion
16-12-2006, 19:43
well in a way point proven, heavy armour was not common, least not platemail, so as nice as these new LoTR models are (not sarcastic) they dont really fit the plot very well i fear

General Samuel of the 101
16-12-2006, 19:46
i someone passed those as Hoplites,it could only worth for a Good Laught
is simpler and safer to buy Historical Minis of them
everybody makes them

Griefbringer
16-12-2006, 19:56
actually most Greek Citizen Hoplites wore a Linen Cuirass,some were even naked!,The Breastplate was restricted to Oficcers and Rich People (who were not the majority of the Citizen force)

I was under the impression that in many city states in order to obtain the rights of a citizen, you had to be able to equip yourself with a certain level of arms and armour (eg. breastplate, helmet, shield and spear).

Though the classical Greece covers several centuries and a good lot of different states, so habits would have been different in different places and times.

Mephistofeles
16-12-2006, 21:50
In many greek armies you paid for your own armour and equipment, which would mean that anyone COULD have a breastplate, but would probaby not buy it, since it was to expensive.

You sure about those crossbows? Weren't they just siege equipment?

idinos
16-12-2006, 22:37
Some Dogs of War figures can be used as Greek hoplites with some conversion. I have seen it done, don't ask me which particular DoW regiment, but your life would be much easier if you went with 3rd party hoplites instead of converting from GW figures.

ORKY ARD BOYZ
17-12-2006, 01:04
Probelm is, you cant play GW games with non-GW figures, the wargames foundry's figures are too small for my liking (Am I being picky?) I thought the warriors of arnor's chainmail could be covered with greenstuff to look like cloth, their arms could be covered to look as if they were bare. The warriors of Arnor don't look like they wear plate armor, just a breastplate and greeves and chainmail, cover the chainmail, scult a new helmet and voila! instant greek, or I could just buy the Altancili fellowship.

Snotteef
17-12-2006, 02:41
Many times you can't play Warhammer with LotR miniatures either. If that is allowed in your area, however, then go for it!

Griefbringer
17-12-2006, 11:12
Probelm is, you cant play GW games with non-GW figures

Only an issue in GW stores and official GW tournaments, not much of an issue elsewhere.

And if you find the Foundry greeks a bit too small, there are a number of other manufacturers, so you should be able to find bigger models too.

Castigator
18-12-2006, 09:16
In many greek armies you paid for your own armour and equipment, which would mean that anyone COULD have a breastplate, but would probaby not buy it, since it was to expensive.

You sure about those crossbows? Weren't they just siege equipment?

Well.. as with most things in ancient greece.. this differed a great deal among the various city-states.

One of the reasons Athens rose over Sparta to dominance was, among other things, that it (initially) allowed more people to become citizens by letting them serve in their fleet (where armour wasn't that much of an issue).

Similarly Athens, being a city that became rich by trade, could afford a decent fleet and standing army of "professionals" whereas many other greek cities (in particular arch-rival Sparta) needed it's soldiers to go back and tend their fields eventually.

Axel
18-12-2006, 11:51
Hmm. Sparta needed its soldiers to watch over the Helots, not for doing the actual field work themself. Sparta was the only state in which any citizen was a professional soldier. And, ultimately, they won against Athen. It was Theben that broke the back of the Spartan Phalanx, and other states, ultimately Macedonia, that sealed their fate.

Anyway, I doubt that you can make really good Greek troops out of GW minis. The DOWs are really neither pikes (too short) nor spears (wrong pose). They make good early renaissance Italian wannabes, though - the kind of pretty guard units that looks splendid and never sees real combat.