PDA

View Full Version : Least expensive, yet still effective IG?

Deadite
15-12-2006, 21:59
I'm really being drawn into doing up an IG army. But the idea of another horde just sickens me. Then there's the hit to the pocketbook.
Mind you, I'm not interested in buying a bunch of Crapachans off ebay, I want something that's aesthetically pleasing (Cadians or even DKoK) as well. Because if I don't like how it looks, I'll never finish it.

So, what makes up an effective 2000pts force... and how much did it cost you?
If you have ideas of your own, please post!

Col. Dash
15-12-2006, 22:14
I would go with a mech force. Its not really a horde, but its a ton of firepower. Equipped correctly and having the first turn will stop most armies in their tracks and the follow on turns are just as good. Plus its really intimidating to look across the field and see 10 tanks plus troops(at 1500 points) aiming at you.

Slaaneshi Slave
15-12-2006, 22:18
If I wanted to be really cheesy, I would take 2x 1 Search Lights as my troops choice, then max out on tanks and walkers. All your compulsary troops in a nice 40 points package? Sickening.

Vaktathi
15-12-2006, 22:38
there are several ways you can make a small, yet effective guard force.

Mechanized is always one

Grenadiers is another (take 3 stormtrooper squads for troops)
(a combination of Grenadiers and Mechanized works well too in conjunction with a couple infantry platoons)

Or you can do something like make really expensive Guard Infantry with doctrines (by taking say Carapace armour for a 4+ save and Hardened Fighters for a WS4) and have more effective, less numerous guardsmen.

Culven
15-12-2006, 22:47
If I wanted to be really cheesy, I would take 2x 1 Search Lights as my troops choice, then max out on tanks and walkers.
:wtf: Last time I checked, Searchlights were a vehicle upgrade, not a Troops choice. Or are you referring to something else using an obscure euphemism?

Norminator
15-12-2006, 22:49
I think he means the forgeworld searchlights.

Slaaneshi Slave
16-12-2006, 00:23
1-3 Sabre Searchlight Teams
20 Pts each
Count as a troops choice.

Doesn't say anything about not being a compulsary choice either.

So that means you can have:

1 Long Range Scanner as your HQ, 65 Pts
2 x 1 Searchlight Team as troops, 40 Pts
3 Hellhounds as fast attack
3 Lemon Russ' as Heavy Support.

Ultimate Cheese.

Still learning
16-12-2006, 00:38
:eek: :rolleyes: :D :wtf:

xibo
16-12-2006, 00:42
Ultimate Cheese.

Quoting for truth!

Lord Cook
16-12-2006, 02:32
Why not just do an armoured company, you get a better selection of vehicles and vehicle upgrades. Extra cost for veteran tanks balanced off by the small cost of the searchlights/scanner, and you actualy get some BS4 of of it. Something about 11 pie plates in one army just warms my heart :p .

Easy E
16-12-2006, 10:11
The cheapest army is the Armored Company provided you can do it proper.

One way is to use E-bay and second hand purchases.
Second is discount retailers.
Third is to scratchbuild the entire thing (See Sig for a shameless plug)

Now, effective is an entirely different kettle of fish. ;)

sigur
16-12-2006, 10:25
I'd go for a mech force, maybe combined with Grenadiers. It's just the best middle way between an interesting army (=fun games) and expenditure of money. If you go for plastic miniatures (which I assume), you can easily convert your officers from plastic troopers combined with bitz from the Vehicle acessory sprue and a few weapons from your bitz box.

Gaebriel
16-12-2006, 10:39
1-3 Sabre Searchlight Teams
20 Pts each
Count as a troops choice.

Doesn't say anything about not being a compulsary choice either.

So that means you can have:

1 Long Range Scanner as your HQ, 65 Pts
2 x 1 Searchlight Team as troops, 40 Pts
3 Hellhounds as fast attack
3 Lemon Russ' as Heavy Support.

Ultimate Cheese.
Nice idea but not legal, as Command platoons are '1' ...

I would go with Grenadiers, Stormtroopers, Veterans, Carapace and a couple of other themed doctrines, adding a couple of tanks - makes a model count similar to a SM army. BS 4 in conjunction with a good loadout of special weapons as well as the 4+ Save makes this a not too ineffective force.

jamm1066
16-12-2006, 10:54
it doesnt matter what you pick. as long as you have chimeras.