PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Warhound Alternative?

alphamale
16-12-2006, 07:15
Hi,

Currently building my Warhammer army and looking to add some warhounds. However, I don't like the current metal ones for two reasons.
1. They are metal and expensive.
2. Don't quite like the look of them.

Anyone have any suggestions for alternatives? I play a themed Slaanesh army if that helps. Had I sold my soul to Tzeentch I think I could convert some Kroot from 40k to count as hounds.

Many thanks in advance.

Gafgarion
16-12-2006, 07:46
I feel the same way. I intend to replace them with goblin wolfriders (without the goblins). If that isnt chaotic or mutated enough I think the new spider riders (again without the goblins) would do fine.

Voltaire
16-12-2006, 08:27
Try the Mordheim Chaos Hounds, they look a lot more placid, and are quite fun to look at.

Sherlocko
16-12-2006, 09:49
First of, I think it is one of the best models in the chaos range, but they are kinnda expensive if you compare to their point cost. But I think most any other metal model would be at the same price(not exactly) so the classic thing to do is to buy goblin wolf riders.

Neknoh
16-12-2006, 11:01
Wargs from Lord of the Rings work excelent with some slight greenstuffing

Finnigan2004
16-12-2006, 15:52
Buy the warhammer wolves. They're pretty easy to make, they are the same base size, and look better than the hounds.

EvC
16-12-2006, 16:47
I agree with Gafgarion- a nice unit of dark Chaotic Spiders in place of Hounds sounds very good for me! Especially if you were playing a Beasts army...

Briohmar
17-12-2006, 01:42
Wargs from Lord of the Rings work excelent with some slight greenstuffing

I had thought about doing this as well, but never got to it. I love the current hounds though. I got mine on ebay for 20 bucks, but that was before the GW Ban on Americans selling their products cheaper than they did.

Negativemoney
17-12-2006, 03:08
I would say take some green stuff and make thick snakes out of it. Since most of the Slaanesh Deamon mount modes are verry serpent like this would be a nice fit in your army.

alphamale
17-12-2006, 03:42
Thanks guys for all your feedback.

I did consider making snakes but I am afraid my sculpting skills would only produce very very VERY basic shapes for snakes. No fangs, eyes, mouth etc. And this would let down my army appearance, IMHO, since I have purchased some of the best looking units in Warhammer such as the current ed Chaos Knights, Mtd Nettes, Nettes.

Spiders would be cool, but anyone have any idea how it would tie in thematically with Slaanesh? My army is predominantly Nettes, mounted and on foot, some hounds, chaos knights and marauders.

LoTR wargs look good. But is it tourney legal? Not that I play in tournaments, but I am starting this army partly to participate in the 2007 Worldwide campaign and I imagine I'd be playing some games in the GW stores. For some reason I remember hearing that LoTR figures are not usable in WFB/40K events? Correct me if I am wrong.

Failing the above choices, looks like Goblin wolves are the way to go. I tried to get a closer look of these models but the "Wolf Head and Body Sprue" image on the GW sites are not working for some reason :(

Thanks all again for the feedback. Hope you can help me some more :D

Killshot
17-12-2006, 06:07
Are you wanting GW models only? Reaper miniatures make some wolves that would work. Gripping Beast has some Irish Wolf hounds that would as an alternative.

alphamale
17-12-2006, 06:52
At the moment I am after GW models only as I'd like to take part in the coming world wide campaign in the local GW store. Who knows, maybe one day I might try a tournament :)

Neknoh
17-12-2006, 07:49
check with the guys at the store, if there isn't a problem, you can use them, arround here, I have yet to meet a guy who won't allow people to use models from Lotr or non-gw companies.

Btw, here's a few pics of what I mean about the Hounds

http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?showtopic=2269&st=0

scroll down untill you get past the armylist.... btw, I know this guy, and I will be one of the first he will play with that army ¤proud¤ ^^

alphamale
17-12-2006, 08:17
Wow, this guy sure does make some nice conversions/sculpts! Thanks for the link its very inspiring!

It is pretty standard here in Australia that non-GW miniatures are not allowed in GW Events.

But I'll have to check re- the LoTR hounds. They look VERY nice. But spiders would be cool too, if only I can work out a way to tie them into my Slaanesh Mortal/Demon army.

Thanks again for the link Neknoh!