PDA

View Full Version : Pro-painted..? Hmmm maybe not

krashovrload
16-12-2006, 11:06
++

Just come from ebay - I see there's still some very loose definitions as to what Pro-painted means..

Emperors Scythes (http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/9a/8f/72_1.JPG)

I'm afraid that doesn't come anywhere need to what I consider Pro-painted to be - it doesn't even warrant the description 'good gaming standard'...

Perhaps - painted in the dark with a yard brush would be more accurate..??

++

Corax
16-12-2006, 11:24
Oh, god! My eyes! My eyes! The horror!

Actually, I was going to start a thread on this very topic. The standard of what is classed as 'pro-painted' has led me to the conclusion that what they actually mean is that the models have been painted by prostitutes, as opposed to pro painters! ;)

Personally, I would say a model is pro painted only if it meets 'eavy Metal standard, which most of the stuff on eBay doesn't. Some people have a lot of nerve calling that rubbish 'pro-painted'! If that sort of garbage is pro painted, then I'm Leonardo DaVinci! (which I'm not, by the way...) The only thing that stuff is good for is stripping and starting again.

Sarigar
16-12-2006, 11:28
I've seen this trend more and more on ebay. I've posted a Word Bearers army (currently on sale there) but refuse to put 'pro painted' on it. The work is very good, but I don't do commission work and have never painted in the capacity of employment. I'm not even sure what warrants (legally) the term pro painted. I wondered if there is some liability for false advertising?

Shadowseer Crofty
16-12-2006, 11:30
I can paint better than that (and brotherdraagor will confirm my painting isnt exactly good{been improving of late though}). the only models i have seen painted as bad as that were the 5 ultramarines my brother painted. purge those models in cleansing flame!

japuda
16-12-2006, 11:43
I've seen these on Ebay over the past year. I've come to see that 'Pro-painted' isn't that it is painted to a professional standard or by a Professional. Its more of a style of painting. To me it's like seeing 'Drybrushed' or 'Magic-washed' models. I believe it is a step-by-step method used to paint the models that has been named 'Pro-painted'.

It reminds me of the small province in Hong Kong once upon a time that got its name changed to USA. They were then able to print 'Made in USA' on the product, without the thing ever being made IN the USA. So they can get away with calling it one thing and not ever be dishonest about it.

That being said, the models aren't bad. They have 3 colors and have painted bases. The bases would then be redone per the purchaser to his taste but could be played as is if desired. Personally Im against it as I feel a big part of the fun is painting them. Flip side again, can't blame someone for trying to make a buck or two.

Kegluneq
16-12-2006, 11:48
Erm, at least you're not buying unseen. The photos themselves attest to the quality (and lack thereof) of the painting. If a job looks well done (and a 'propainted army' should come with hires pics) then that speaks for itself.

Not that I'm overly keen on prepainted models. I'm more proud of the crappy paint job I did myself - although the Kroot I bought from a friend look awesome.

Helicon_One
16-12-2006, 11:57
When buying from eBay, 'pro-painted' generally means 'I've worked out which end of the paintbrush to use', no more.

Tim

Anubis_the_Harlie
16-12-2006, 12:05
Oh dear, those models are bad... kinda makes me feel good about mine! Seriously though stuff on Ebay is going to have a very 'loose' description. Also it's not 'false advertising' per se as it has a picture showing you them. If it didn't then it would be false advertising. I think the seller is hoping that people will just read the description and not take notice of the picture.

Reflex
16-12-2006, 12:07
if i looked at that pic one more second i was gonna pope my eyes with chop stiks....

i think as a community we could get the phrase banned on ebay, because seriously how many pro painted armies do you see each yeah... i have only seen one this year and it was a chaos army... some GW guy sold it... it was going for like 900 pounds...

krashovrload
16-12-2006, 12:11
++

Erm, at least you're not buying unseen.
That's true - although I got ripped off the other month when I bought an Vindicator and the item that came wasn't anything like I expected...

For a start - it wasn't the forgeworld model they showed in the photo plus it was a very poor paint job and it had been glued together with pva as far as I could tell as it arrived in bitz. I was able to use the bitz I wanted for my IW vindicator so it wasn't a complete loss...

I've bought a few painted items (7 Nurgling bases and 3 Assassins which were a bargain) and they've been ok but generally I wouldn't buy anything painted from ebay...

Besides - half the hobby is painting and modelling your army yourself I think...

++

AmKhaibitu
16-12-2006, 12:29
Looks like they just bought a whole heap of models from dark angels to tech-marines and painted without any real thought whatsoever other than yellow and black.
At least the yellow is somewhat solid.

jubilex
16-12-2006, 12:40
PRO = pretty revolting, overall. Seen worse though. I once saw a noise marine squad in black and pink that looked like liquorish allsorts. I got some (old plastic) plague marines from e-bay once, two of them had SO much paint on them they looked like michellin men.

Bloodthirster90
16-12-2006, 12:54
PRO = pretty revolting, overall.

quoted for truth
I agree with pretty much everything thats been said so far. I'd only buy Ebay stuff if they were unpainted and/or cheaper than what GW sell them as. And I could probably get that from a site like nugaming.

Pertinax
16-12-2006, 12:57
Right, I agree they are poorly painted, but do we really need to discuss this?

thebloodgod
16-12-2006, 17:12
not really, but curse on the fool who says it is not fun to insult other peoples work so that we can feel good, and to the person who says having a winge is not fun!

E-Arkham
16-12-2006, 17:13
The "pro painted" tag is more often than not an indication of it being NOT painted well. This topic comes up on the Coolminiornot forums from time to time, and the general consensus there is that the painters who paint professionally don't usually use the phrase "pro painted." I know I don't, and I would qualify as a professional painter -- this is not a brag; I paint for a living and have some Demons under my belt.

There are exceptions of course. I think Vikinglodge puts "pro painted" in his auctions, and if so, it'd be an accurate description of his work (awesome stuff). But most of the time, "pro painted" may as well be synonymous with "tabletop if you squint." :)

Kep

Vegeta365
16-12-2006, 17:52
Although those models are painted worse than what my girlfriend can do, I believe technically they are pro painted!

I believe the phrase pro pianted in painting terms would be considered the same as with say sport for example. In this case the term being a pro means that you are paid to do the sport. If you put that into context then the painter of these models is a pro if he can sell models he has painted. Seeing as someone is buying the models then yes indeed he is a pro painter so can put that his models are pro painted (painted by a pro!).

I agree this seems stupid and we can all see how poor the models are, but I believe thats how it goes. We all look at pro painted to mean high quality but that is not what the term means. Look at some of the rubbish pro footballers who are being paid and put it into context.

Discuss.....

Vegeta

glowing in the dark
16-12-2006, 18:24
Bleah, are they ugly or what!No offense to the painter but i've seen children paint better.

@Vegeta365 - no offense intended; but do you know that Vegeta is brand ofcooking mirody,(mixed dried vegetables in bag)?:confused:

azimaith
16-12-2006, 18:27
Maybe the guy selling it paints houses for a living. Then its totally "Pro-Painted"

It certainly looks like they were painted like a house.

Brush your teeth
16-12-2006, 20:13
this discussion has popped up a couple of times now, and the thing is those models are pro painted in the sense they are painted as a profession

painted to a high standard however is a completely different story.

the problem is someone can paint something professionaly or as a profession or job. it doesnt mean they are any good at their 'job'

WhatsHisName
16-12-2006, 20:13
you see the reason i believe some people do it (and i will when it comes to it) is because with writing pro-painted in the title means that it will apear in more searches and more chance of a good selling price.it appears to more users ,BUT i have to say it is enoying going on pages and seeing some modules like the ones above under pro-painted.

martin

Gensuke626
16-12-2006, 20:31
It's just like that Carfax (or whatever car company it is) commercial where they show a car in a flood and an add being typed up that says "Slight water damage." But that gets deleted and replaced with "NEW UPHOLSTERY!!!"

If the person selling those models makes his living painting then he's a professional painter, but alot of people are used to equating "Professional" with "Good". best Example is a place like McDonalds. Anyone working at McDonalds is a professional. Anyone working the gridle is a Professional Cook. Would you trust him to make you Fugu sushi and duck a'la orange?

squiggoth
16-12-2006, 21:42
I normally search for pro-painted stuff when I'm on eBay, since those items always sell cheap. Let them soak in paint thinner for five minutes, scrub them for two minutes, and you've got a bunch of models that are as good as new for less than 30% of their retail value.

Pro-painted: I'm lovin' it! :D

Seth the Dark
16-12-2006, 21:45
Although most "pro-painted" aren't up to that standard I would say well over half of you guys couldn't paint that well either. I certainly know I can't.

Gensuke626
16-12-2006, 23:57
I can't do excellent paint jobs, but I like to think I'm doing alright with my paints...

BodhiTree
17-12-2006, 00:10
Guys, guys - the dude at least pulled off a strong yellow.

landraider1
17-12-2006, 05:07
I have seen many comments on the paint job. Yes, the yellow is bright. No washes or dulling of the yellow. That overpowers the viewer. I have painted Imperial Fists. Lots of yellow. I found the yellow bright until I washed it with ink. If he would have washed his yellows, he might have had a better commentary.

For the "Pro-Painted" part. If he has been paid for a painted figure(Commission or sold on ebay) He is by definetion a "Pro" painter. So no false advertising. Just buyer beware.

MrLiy
17-12-2006, 07:47
Umm theres also the concept of professionalism. This usually includes, a certain level of integrity, and a specific level of proficiency. I'd say theres neither in this work. Thats like saying that a medical quack is a professional health care worker, because they get paid to perform medical services. See how quickly it becomes a slippery slope? I have received commision jobs before but only charged five bucks for a vehicle or maybe asked to receive 2 or 3 pots of paint in return. Thats because I realize I am not that profficient in the skills. I see everyone's logic in being a professional for being paid, but then again I wouldnt call the guy performing plastic surgery in his basement a profesional because he receives money in return for his services.

insaniak
17-12-2006, 07:56
I looked at the picture, and then read the thread... and then had to go back and check if I had actually looked at the right picture.

While not a particularly spectactular paintjob (and several of the models appear to be unfinished), it's a long way from being as terrible as people are making out. The colors are even, the yellow is superb, he appears to have arrived at a decent skin-tone, and it's a generally neat job. Better than at least 50% of the armies I've faced on the table, really.

Not disputing that the 'Pro-painted' tag gets thrown around a bit more than it should (although many people also seem to for some reason interpret 'Pro-painted' to mean 'well-painted', whereas the terms are in no way actually synonymous) ... but I think people get a little carried away with the hyperbole.

Reflex
17-12-2006, 09:56
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Warhammer-40K-Space-Marine-Chaplain-Ultramarines_W0QQitemZ330063685480QQihZ014QQcatego ryZ31399QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Brush your teeth
17-12-2006, 10:03
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Warhammer-40K-Space-Marine-Chaplain-Ultramarines_W0QQitemZ330063685480QQihZ014QQcatego ryZ31399QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you know that doesnt even say pro painted in it?

Kegluneq
17-12-2006, 10:21
Now that is slightly more like it, although a little pricey. It's a competant paint job at least.

Reflex
17-12-2006, 10:23
you know that doesnt even say pro painted in it?

yeah, but look at the price, and he says its the best he has done.. i know he dosent say pro painted, jsut highlighting the ignorance of the human race...

ReDavide
17-12-2006, 10:26

The price tag is a little silly, but people can offer things for sale at whatever price they like without it reflecting badly on their character.

What's naughty is false advertising, such as declaring your profession to be painting when it is not. This sale doesn't seem to have any of that.

And the paint job isn't half bad either. The model is in desperate need of a drill, but the skull & parchment are decent enough.

Luke
17-12-2006, 10:58
I love eBay. I never offer things up as pro-painted even though I paint professionally (ie, for money/under commission). My mate puts them up for me and he just usually puts "well painted" or "nicely painted".

What? I ain't going to lie and say "crap paint jobs" when they are not am I?

Sparda
17-12-2006, 16:57
Let them soak in paint thinner for five minutes, scrub them for two minutes

What strength thinner do you use? I have some high strength stuff and i want to strip my marines of there 23 paint jobs and not melt them:D

insaniak
17-12-2006, 19:46
yeah, but look at the price, and he says its the best he has done..

...and...? Maybe it is the best he has ever painted. That's not the same as saying that it's good...

I once built a bookshelf that had a very definite lean to one side, and that fell apart after about a year. It most certainly wasn't a good bookshelf, but it was the best bookshelf I have ever made. :)

idinos
17-12-2006, 19:55
...and...? Maybe it is the best he has ever painted. That's not the same as saying that it's good...

I once built a bookshelf that had a very definite lean to one side, and that fell apart after about a year. It most certainly wasn't a good bookshelf, but it was the best bookshelf I have ever made. :)

Did you attempt to sell it on ebay at a considerably higher price afterwards? :P

squiggoth
18-12-2006, 15:56
What strength thinner do you use? I have some high strength stuff and i want to strip my marines of there 23 paint jobs and not melt them:D

Halfords brake fluid for plastic models, regular DIY store thinner for metal stuff. Thinner works after a few seconds, brake fluid takes hours and hours. And hours.

Oh, and if you drop your plastic marines in thinner, you'll end up with the renowned "Emperor's Globs" chapter. Better looking than Dark Angels! :p

thebloodgod
18-12-2006, 19:34
Did you attempt to sell it on ebay at a considerably higher price afterwards? :P Funny stuff! Looking at this i have not yet tryed to sell stuff on e-bay but i'm not going to winge at these people because when i do (eventualy) sell my stuff for some i will put 'well painted' etc. most probably under false protences. However, I am sure that people will be intised and pay higher than they would normaly.
some of us must remember that there are people out there who are normal! ;)

Sparda
19-12-2006, 00:33
Halfords brake fluid for plastic models, regular DIY store thinner for metal stuff. Thinner works after a few seconds, brake fluid takes hours and hours. And hours.

Oh, and if you drop your plastic marines in thinner, you'll end up with the renowned "Emperor's Globs" chapter. Better looking than Dark Angels! :p
lol, thank you!

UnRiggable
19-12-2006, 02:22
surprise, surprise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-painted-Eldar-Avenger-Squad-Warhammer-40K_W0QQitemZ250060423842QQihZ015QQcategoryZ44117Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/WARHAMMER-40K-OOP-NECRON-CRYPT-LORD-PRO-PAINTED-HTF_W0QQitemZ230066101382QQihZ013QQcategoryZ44121Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's more like it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Warhammer-40K-ORK-KOMMAND-BOSS-PRO-PAINTED_W0QQitemZ180065425150QQihZ008QQcategoryZ44 122QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem