PDA

View Full Version : Best Ordnance Tank?

Black Behemoth
16-12-2006, 18:01
What do you think is the best Ordnance tank out there?

I say the Leman Russ, despite me being an Iron Warriors player using both the Vindicator and Basilisk. I'm jealous of how wonderful the Russ is in all respects, not just one like with the Vindicator, Defiler, Demolisher, and Basilisk.

TheWarSmith
16-12-2006, 18:03
I'd have to toss it to the Medusa.

Only 36" range, but S9, AP2 and it has S10+2d6 siege shells too.

Splagbot
16-12-2006, 18:05
I'd have to go with the Basilisk, it is after all what it was designed for.

bigred
16-12-2006, 18:08
Russ,

Good ordinance
Great secondary weapons (3xHBs)
Great armor (AV:14)
Affordable (@150pts)

-bigred

Voronwe[MQ]
16-12-2006, 18:10
Basilisk. It is, after all, a relatively cheap artillery unit.

Voronwe

Overlord Krycis
16-12-2006, 18:11
Sorry...but I'm going to have to go for the Baneblade...

It can do everything the Leman Russ and Demolisher can do, only better.

Nehcrum
16-12-2006, 18:16
LeMan Russ.

Good cannon, has the oh-so-important AP3.
Has AV14, making it tough to take out.
Not that expensive either.

Problem with ordnance tanks is that they can only fire their ordnance OR their other weapons, so having extra weapons on a tank is only useful if you get your main gun blown off, or you wanna go versatility route, which IMO is stupid since it pulls up the price without getting much for it.

The Demolisher has an even better cannon, but shorter range, and is a strong contender for the very same reasons.

The Basilisk is fragile, and the cannon isn't that much better than the Leman Russ, doesn't cause more Instant deaths, and will wound on the same value against almost all enemies. And neither should be shot at vehicles, so the extra S is pretty much wasted.

It also too fragile to be in the front line and requires the indirect fire upgrade, which pulls up costs a bit. Also then has the minimum range issue when firing indirect.

IronNerd
16-12-2006, 18:34
I should specify, I vote for a CHAOS Vindicator. With the added armor and possession, you can make that thing a rock hard killing machine. I love mine, so it gets my vote.

Black Behemoth
16-12-2006, 18:42
I'm surprised no one likes my second favorite, the Demolisher. It is basically a Vindicator, but with heavier armor and just plain nasty sponsons (Plasma Cannons baby!). If only Iron Warriors could take it instead of the Vindi. :(

Makaber
16-12-2006, 18:50
I'll have to vote Leman Russ as well, with good front armour, good cannon, and for a reasonable price. I kit out mine with nothing but heavy bolter, very task spesific and usually perform quite well (at least they did in last edition).

I also like the Vindicator a lot. Fielded in pairs, they're outright mean and seriously impact the flow of battle whereever they're deployed.

Baneboss
16-12-2006, 18:52
Griffon.

Best spent min/max tactical squad points cost ever.

Problem with ordnance tanks is that they can only fire their ordnance OR their other weapons, so having extra weapons on a tank is only useful if you get your main gun blown off, or you wanna go versatility route, which IMO is stupid since it pulls up the price without getting much for it.

I dont agree. If you snipe squads, firing 3 (most likely 2) HBs is better. Sniping means that you position the tank to see only lascannon armed model. Overally it is said to be bad behaviour but i only heard it from min/maxing SM players.

Steel_Legion
16-12-2006, 18:58
Russ shortly followed by a basilisk, only reason its not number 1 is minimum range is 36" and it has tinfoil armour, leman russ is great though, 72" range, S8 AP3 pinning

Tanith Ghost
16-12-2006, 19:05
I stand by my pick in the Leman Russ battle tank. The Leman is reliable, well armed and armored, and cheap to take. Two Lemans working in tandem will take you a long way toward victory.

Brush your teeth
16-12-2006, 19:20
i think points effectiveness, probably the griffon. you get a lot for your money

medusa comes second in line though

Maxis Lithium
16-12-2006, 19:57
When it comes to delivering the goods on ordinance shots, nothing beats a basalisk. Hands down, 120 inches direct fire and 240 inches (20 feet!) indirectly means that there is NO board you can't control with these things. Let alone the fact that they're inexpensive to field and look very cool.

Also, by swapping the gunnery crew for other models, you can make it fit any army you like.

It's two weaknesses, it's low armor (plus open topped) and 36 inch blind spot in it's indirect range make it difficult to use on small boards, but still very effective for it's points.

And that's my 0.02$C

BTW:

Russ shortly followed by a basilisk, only reason its not number 1 is minimum range is 36" and it has tinfoil armour, leman russ is great though, 72" range, S8 AP3 pinning
A battle cannon is NOT pinning

Nehcrum
16-12-2006, 21:19
If we start talking Imperial Armour vehicles. The Manticore platform probably wins.
S9 AP2 shots, for only 110 pts, with indirect fire, long range.

xibo
16-12-2006, 21:26
Defiler. It's a walker that will blast you 2 havoc missiles and a lascannon or a fat pie template if moved, or the last with indirect fire if stationary. It's rather expensive but it is IMMUNE to GeQ in CC, and unlike the chaos dread who is that too, the defiler doesn't freak out.
Last and most important it look cooler than any other vehicle out there.

EDIT: Thunderhawks have nice templates too...

idinos
16-12-2006, 21:52
Probably the manticore.

Angelus Mortis
16-12-2006, 21:59
I have to go with the Vindicator w/extra armor and Power of the Machine Spirit. Just nasty. However, the Chaos version can be just as nasty. Runner up would be a Medusa.

Getz
16-12-2006, 23:43
No question - Leman Russ (with the Vanquisher sub varient being even better).

The Griffon runs it a very close second for being ever so, ever so cheap. Got some points left over? Not quite enough for an IG infantry squad? Free Heavy support lot? Take a Griffon!

Da Reddaneks
16-12-2006, 23:54
i hit the wrong button. Strike one vote from the vindicator and add it to Leman Russ Battle Tank. The LR BT is just an excellent all around tank.

Baneboss
17-12-2006, 02:00
Manticore can only shoot 4 times in a game. You trade better AP for less shoots compared to Basilisk.

I would have to try Manticore before judging it but i think Basilisk is better... unless ofcourse you play against Deathwing :)

Greater_Good11
17-12-2006, 08:55
:mad: I refuse to believe that the hammerhead w/submunitions or solid shot is not the best tank for ANYTHING.

Gaebriel
17-12-2006, 09:07
:mad: I refuse to believe that the hammerhead w/submunitions or solid shot is not the best tank for ANYTHING.
Ever stood under fire by a Leman Russ Demolisher with Plasma cannon sponsons? Which is my choice, as it's a real beast...

Getz
17-12-2006, 11:54

It doesn't have Ordnance though, does it... :eyebrows:

Splagbot
17-12-2006, 11:56
You know Getz my friend, I think you might be right.

Cromenon
17-12-2006, 11:57
the oldie leman russ is the best: itīs cheap, reliable, it has a wide firerange and you can tune it so much...

Tacticus
17-12-2006, 13:27
I realise the topic is about Tanks, but I can't help but bring up the Manta Missile Destroyer.
With 108" range (!) and highest strength and Armor piercing Large Blast needed, it can't fail but take out anything that comes in its crosshairs. Couple that with Titan-killer and you have the Imperium's greatest fears realised!

Damn I love playing for the greater good! ;)

Da Reddaneks
17-12-2006, 13:49
i think the hammerhead is the best overall tank for the cost with its high armor, great gun and skimming. But, as getz said, its not part of this poll as it does not have an ordinance weapon.

(OT: and why the imperium cant figure out how to make a skimmer tank?)

Scythe
17-12-2006, 14:03
The standard Russ. Cheap, heavily armoured (unlike a lot of other choices) and excellent backup weaponry should the primary gun be blown away.

wingedserpant
17-12-2006, 16:26
The 125pts of ordanance doom which can't be shot that is the basilisk. Though the leman russ is really good. Had trouble deciding.

AlexCage
17-12-2006, 17:05
The Basilisk for me. I was torn between that, the Russ, and the Demolisher, but in the end Artillery is just tooo cool.

The Demolisher is probably a close second. There's nothing like a S10 cannon with plasma or melta sponsons and a las cannon. What's that? Tank? No, no more tank for you.

It also helps that I mostly play city tables where artillery and short range siege cannons are king.

Gutlord Grom
17-12-2006, 17:07
Whirlwind. Cheap, reliable, and doesn't do anything it is not supposedto do.
Leman Russ is a close second.

Desert Rat
17-12-2006, 17:37
I think the Griffon heavy mortar tank is the best. It's cheap 70-ish points, high strength and medium ap. It's a great all around ordinance tank. When I think of ordinance I don't think TANK-KILLER.

heretics bane
17-12-2006, 17:55
im torn between all three main gaurd tanks, i love the bassie ever since i was playing a 8k game and blew a 8man stealth suit team from 100" away:chrome: but i love both leman russ's killing power!! ill go for bassie

Lord Cook
17-12-2006, 20:09

Your sure about that are you? Battle cannon vs railhead.
> Against hordes the two weapons are basically the same. Same pie plate after all.
> Against MEQs the battle cannon is FAR superior. Not only is S8 enough to stop necrons getting their cursed WBB rolls, but AP3 splatters all the power armoured prissy boys (the marines) across the landscape. Submunitions are completely incapable of this (AP4), thus are of very little use against MEQs.
> Against tanks you have S10 AP1, but I have S8 with 2d6 armour penetration. Yours is better I agree, but not by much.

The only advantage of a railhead is the better accuracy. Ok it is a lot more accurate. But Tau vehicles don't count as 'fast' so the mobility is the same. Leman Russes have better armour by far and backup weapons for if the main one gets blown off. A Russ is slightly more expensive, but then it is a better tank, so go figure.

The AP3 is the real killer.

toxic_wisdom
17-12-2006, 23:01
I voted for "other" specifically the Monolith...

Not counting all of the other goodies the 'Lith is equipped with, the fact you can "snipe" models with Particle Whip (Ordnance) is a nice bonus...

onnotangu
18-12-2006, 00:20
carinfex or a barbed herodule

Getz
18-12-2006, 00:28
carinfex or a barbed herodule

...also do not have Ordnance, and aren't even tanks. :rolleyes:

MrBigMr
18-12-2006, 01:28
Bombard.
360" range S10 AP2 extra large (bigger than ordnance) pieplate...

Antaeus
18-12-2006, 01:43
I'd say it depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for 'a tank with an ordnance weapon' - the Leman Russ has flexibility (due to a plethora of guns) and heavy armour. However, if you're purely bothered about the Ordnance element, I think it's hard to look beyond the Basilisk. Huge range, and puts the fear of pod into just about anything going, plus the versatility of Indirect Fire (assuming you have a nice big table). Also has the advantage of being pretty cheap, and at that a nice round number of points.

ImmortalPariah
18-12-2006, 03:23
i say the Monolith is the best ordnance. end of story. it has the particle whip, for longer range attacks. then it has the not ordnance gauss flux arc projectors = apocalypse and it can teleport, and isnt destroyed by close proximity when deep striking, forcing anyone in the way of its landing to move. plus its 14 all around armor, and doesnt drift, or explode when immoblized. plus the crew stats dont affect it, because it has no crew! super ultimate doom = Monolith. questions?

Alessander
18-12-2006, 05:35
Basilisk.

Nothing makes me cringe more than seeing one of them deploy in a corner. Massive range, indirect fire, big boom.

nanktank
18-12-2006, 05:41
I voted Leman Russ for it's sheer versatility and flexibility

Lancaster
18-12-2006, 08:53
I'm gonna have to say the hammerhead, with railgun... Awesome range, and the ability to drop a pieplate OR a strength 10 spike

Quin 242
18-12-2006, 09:25
Defiler.. nothing else ignores shaken/stunned results for free and has the option to auto repair for 40 points. If they don't pure destroy the thing it's gonna come back :(

JustTony
18-12-2006, 10:57
Leman Russ Vanquisher. It can drop the anti-Marine pie plate and blow holes in any tank with Str 8 plus 2d6 ADDED TOGETHER! It's like a 96" ranged meltagun and it rolls on the ordnance penetration table! What's not to love.

If IA is excluded, then I would have to pick the Demolisher, with either Multimeltas for tank killing or Plasma cannons for anti-Marine work. Also the heavier side and rear armor are a great benefit.

Peace, through superior firepower.

JustTony

eleveninches
18-12-2006, 11:19
I play with 3 basilisks in almost every IG game i play, so they get my vote every time.
And the best thing about basilisks (compared to any leman russ varient) is that they dont need a direct line of fire to shoot, so they can stay in cover for most of the game

Mojaco
18-12-2006, 11:52
Demolisher. Compared to the stock Leman Rus it has better armour and a more impressive gun, which can kill pesky termies and instakill daemon princes for just a small rise in price.

The short range isn't a drawback. Most scenarios ensure you're within 24" anyway and 9 out of 10 opponents will come running for you, closign the distance further.

With all heavy bolers and a heavy stubber it's got great and cheap back-up weaponry once the demonlisher cannon gets blown off.

The fire prism is a good second. Ordnance without the drawbacks, I love it.

Scythe
18-12-2006, 15:51
i say the Monolith is the best ordnance. end of story. it has the particle whip, for longer range attacks. then it has the not ordnance gauss flux arc projectors = apocalypse and it can teleport, and isnt destroyed by close proximity when deep striking, forcing anyone in the way of its landing to move. plus its 14 all around armor, and doesnt drift, or explode when immoblized. plus the crew stats dont affect it, because it has no crew! super ultimate doom = Monolith. questions?

Longer ranged attacks? 24" isn't that long ranged. Good choice overall though.

I'm gonna have to say the hammerhead, with railgun... Awesome range, and the ability to drop a pieplate OR a strength 10 spike

Again, the railgun is not an ordnance weapon.

The fire prism is a good second. Ordnance without the drawbacks, I love it.

Or the benefits, for that mather. No 2D6 and take highest armour penetration, nor a roll on the ordnance damage table.

It is the fast skimmer status combined with the vehicle upgrades which makes the prism great. ;)

scarletsquig
18-12-2006, 16:14
Well, if you want to keep upping the scale...

Space Marine bombardment cannon.

850k mile range, Strength 78623x10^23, AP 1, template size similar to the guiness world record holder for "largest pancake"...

Goodbye planet :D

I'd say the demolisher wins the poll. Nothing like taking the already nasty battlecannon and knocking it up a notch.

rune
18-12-2006, 17:00
I like the Griffon the most as an ordinance tank.

85pts, cant beat it with a stick?

Minimum range, 12 inches? That's like right in front of it..