PDA

View Full Version : For Macragge!

Reflex
17-12-2006, 04:02
just curious to know how sucessful this "intro" box is going.

so simple poll...

Nabeshin1106
17-12-2006, 04:11
Yup, i got one. And the Tyranids from several others from people who bought them and just use Marines.

Wraithbored
17-12-2006, 04:18
Got it for the terrain the book and the nids. The marines got either sold off or turned into casualties.

Chainsworded Codpiece
17-12-2006, 04:41
Yes, indeedy. Got it for the well-presented (and conveniently tiny) rules set, the "landscaping" (i.e., ruined transat fighter and spawning cyst, et cetera), the bits of Spacer'ino guys that I can use (and the pilot guy, who will either be part of an Inquisition force or some sort of Astartes-Mechanicum-Aspirant working with a senior Techmarine (shut up, I know it doesn't make sense).

The Gaunts and 'Stealers, et al, were just icing on the cake. "Mutation Sprue City", baby.

Yeah, YEAH, you know you want it...all that lovely deviation from the phenotypic norm...all those unforseen teratogens building up to a tragic birth of a being seen as monstrous in the eyes of Mere Men...mmmmm, sssssex-ayyyy...

I mean, all that different stuff, for a mere $40-odd (or was it $30-odd?). How could a person resist?

Forget about that, how could a guy with a Forum Descriptor-Name that suggests his groin getting hacked to bits with a CCW resist?

Answer: I couldn't!

Seth the Dark
17-12-2006, 04:42
I got the Nids and scenery from E-Bay, but that is as far as I have gone.

spacemonkey
17-12-2006, 05:00
Bought the set for the crashed shuttle terrain and the mini rulebook (both of which rock), the marines were just a bonus for me, and I gave away the 'nids.

Kymar
17-12-2006, 07:07
I got it for the mini-rule book and the templates, as well as a souces of cheap marines. I'm saving the genestealers for a Space Hulk remake I hope to do, but I was able to re-sell the termigaunts easily. The big bonus was the price, I got the box last year just before the price jump (at least here in Canada). At the current price I would not even think of buying it.

Gaebriel
17-12-2006, 07:18
I had the rulebook before the set came out, but I got the downed shuttle from eBay, and might get a second one :D

Reflex
17-12-2006, 07:22
i am glad to hear people like it, i am thinking of buying it to get back to the basics of the game and have some fun with the campaign book.

its not like its exspensive either. unlike the 3rd edition box (waste of time that was) IMHO....

but yeah i just wanted to see out of those that play 40k on this site, how many have it or want to get it compared to those that dont... a bit random i guess.. ;)

Crassus
17-12-2006, 13:05
i bought it simply for terrain and cheap sm, so i sold the nids to my friends

Blagrot Squigbreff
17-12-2006, 13:07
I never got the box but I bought 4 lots of Nids off of people who bought it and the mini rulebook looks a good price.

Scythe
17-12-2006, 14:13
Yeah, I bought one, mainly for the terrain and the small rulebook. The nids got used in my Nids army though; mixed up in larger units.

bdo
17-12-2006, 16:01
i bought one too, since i play ultramarines and nids. just unfortanetly (is this spelled correct?!) that the poses are a little static.

Sparda
17-12-2006, 16:20
I bought a set for the rulebook and Space Marines. I planned to make the Space Marines into Tyranid War Veterans, but that failed and now the tyranids are broken or sold, and the space marines have 23 layers of paint on them (not lying!)

Major Thom
17-12-2006, 16:23
I picked it up and I have been playing for a decade and a half. The crashed shuttle and mini rulebook almost makes it worthwhile all by themselves. Played with thought the missions with my daughter and she had a great time with it.

It's a great value.

Rowenstin
17-12-2006, 17:43
I had to choose between the rulebook, or the rulebook and a tac squad for 5 more €. I picked up the squad and the rulebook.

sulla
17-12-2006, 18:02
No, I didn't need more marines or 'stealers plus I wanted the kill-team stuff from the big rulebook.

I did buy the crashed shuttle on an auction site afterwards though...

Slaaneshi Slave
17-12-2006, 18:19
Why would you want the mini rulebook, when you miss out on so much good stuff from the real book?

RampagingRavener
17-12-2006, 18:31
No, I don't. I'm tempted to pick it up for the terrain some day, and the extra nids if I ever go back to them, but for now I'll give it a miss.

Then again, mixing that crashed shuttle with some CoD buildings could make for a nice peice of terrain...

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
17-12-2006, 19:00
Nah, not my cup of tea. Marines and Nids are great but not my thing, the scenery is very cool and I do think its a good starter set for people but personally I just bought the rule-book individually.

Pertinax
17-12-2006, 22:00
Best start set on the market from GW. Simple and introductionary for new players.

A+

Wraithbored
17-12-2006, 22:03
Why would you want the mini rulebook, when you miss out on so much good stuff from the real book?

Portability is my answer.

Onisuzume
17-12-2006, 22:07
Already played 'nids, and I had 20 marines left from the 2nd ed starter, so it was an perfect way to start an Marine army. (just add commander)

Maximus_Prime
17-12-2006, 23:32
I started with this 3rd-ed-looking $30 set called "space marine assault". came with 5 marines (1 with Rocket Launcher) and 7 genestealers, as well as a small "explained-the-rules-for- marines-v.-stealers-rulebook"

Sergeant Tanthius
18-12-2006, 02:34
Portability is my answer.

It's mine as well.

Bought mine for the marines, the rulebook and some what the terrain, even though I can't be bothered to use them.

The Genestealers became casualties on my terminators (Who proved their point when they killed 8 terminators in close combat in one turn, without losing a casualty, last game) and the gaunt heads were cut off and scattered throughout my models.

Quin 242
18-12-2006, 02:50
You didn't give the option for multiple boxes?
I got two full sets and the marines from another and the nids from two others

Mojaco
18-12-2006, 09:18
I play marine and nids, needed terrain and new rules and my templates were lost.......

Yes I got it.

Scythe
18-12-2006, 15:42

I have both. The large book has a lot of good stuff, no doubt, but all of it is not that often used in game. To most games, I just take the small book, as it weights less and takes up less space in my case and on the table.

Tau Man
19-12-2006, 00:55
I do not have Magragge, but my brother has the set and it helped him get his nid and SM armies, so its completely worth it.

IncrediSteve
19-12-2006, 01:10
I've played since mid 3rd edition, and my pal beat me to getting the 4th edition rulebook. As much I like the big hardback, $5 less for a portable book plus oodles of goodies was a no-brainer.

I'll be painting the shuttle for use anywhere, but it will be mainly used with my CoD stuff to add some flair.

Reflex
19-12-2006, 07:06
heh... i picked up mine today.. so far i am really happly.. snap fit style marines.. easy guide.. cool terrain, more dice.. heh... quite happy..

Spook101
20-12-2006, 15:55
I did not buy it, i just started with IG and some lucky dice.
My friend bought it though, and uses that mini rulebook constantly.

Killgore
20-12-2006, 16:03
I'm thinking of picking it up for the terrain and genestealers :)

the spacemarines can become my offical paint test minis hahaha!

Scythe
22-12-2006, 18:48
the spacemarines can become my offical paint test minis hahaha!

Heh, I had the same with some old 5th edition saurus warriors. Most people who started around that time still have some enchanted blue saurus warriors lying around... (seriously, what where they thinking? Make the saurus resemble ultramarines or something? ;))

The_Outsider
22-12-2006, 18:54
I don't need it, nor have I ever needed it.

The fluff section in the main rulebook make it worth its price tag alone IMO and missing out on them would be a great shame (I don't miss the models and scenery since I don't own a gaming table, have plenty of marines and i don't like 'nids).

But for someone starting from scratch yeah its the best boxset GW sell.

Tanner MIrabel
22-12-2006, 19:22
I bought it for the portable rulebook (I have the big one too) and the templates/dice. Sold the rest on eBay, so it was essentially almost free! Wish I'd kept the marines though. Fairly dull poses, but one could break them up between different squads to hide that. Oh, I kept the pilot, also for use in an Inquisitor's warband.

Kjell
22-12-2006, 19:30
I don't own it. It's a nice box, no doubting that, but the only thing I want from it is the smaller rules book. If the starter box had involved Chaos Marines and daemons versus, er, pretty much anything that isn't a Space Marine I would've gotten it. Heck, Battle Sisters versus Chaos Cultists would've been just as nice.

It's only surpassed by the new WHFB starter box but the models just aren't my thing. I wouldn't say no if I won one, but... There are better things I can spend 400 crowns on.

nanktank
22-12-2006, 21:23
I might buy it if I can find someone who will buy another one and swap nids for marine's, I am considering a scythes of the emperor force.

Arch-Traitor Horus
22-12-2006, 22:46
i also brought it for the terrain,dice,templates and rules the models were painted then sold