PDA

View Full Version : GW redshirts...friendly?

MrLiy
17-12-2006, 07:35
Anyone ever get the impression at GW that the red shirts treat everyone as if theyre just some newbie kid.

I'm 23 and been playing for 6 years and still get treated as if I'm a middle schooler walking in for the first time. Even my girlfriend noticed today those guys talk down to people like theyre 10 years old.

Now I do admit I am not there enough to be a regular, so I dont expect those guys to know that I have played for a while. Yet at the same time I dont like for those guys to assume I know nothing. I mean I didnt think much of it, until my girlfriend today pointed out that they were outright condescending, and almost trying to prove that they and only they know the product. I understand all the 5-16 year olds probably idolize them for being the GW red-shirt guys. I've had guys try to brag about their "insider information" ironically this was stuff I knew from warseer weeks earlier.

I went in today to ask if they had seen anyone convert their guardians into Dire Avengers, and if they had seen any cool ideas. (As some may know I now do not know what to do with all my guardians). Instead of answering my question the kid, I swear he looked 19 rolled his eyes and said "why would you do that when plastic avengers are soo much cheaper."

Everytime I go to a GW store, I am reminded why I shop online, and go to Rogue trader stores. At least at a rogue trader I dont have to deal with people who seem to be more concerned with proving their supposed superiority in GW gaming, and modeling. At alot of the Rogue trader stores I have played in the owner is usually just another of the guys who is involved in playing himself and trying to have fun, or a savvy business owner who wants to sell products and is more concerned with getting you what you need than proving to you that he read the latest codex and knows more about it than you. I worked as a commissioned sales counselor before getting a profesional job, and I learned that theres a difference between informing a customer, and thinking that your customers are ****** in need of being educated by yourself.

Anybody been through a similar experience, am I over reacting? Being to harsh on GW redshirts? Maybe just going to the wrong store? I'm not trying to be conceited myself, but I just dont feel comfortable there.

Dspankdo
17-12-2006, 08:16
Ahhhh, again Games Workshop New Zealand/Australia proves it's superiority. I can only really speak for the Auckland stores but our redshirts are very friendly and are polite to regulars and newbies/casual customers alike.

Kromando33
17-12-2006, 08:28
I agree DSpankdo, at my local store here in aus they are very friendly and not at all condescending, in fact they were quite helpful when I first got into the hobby and started buying there, and their shirts are actually black :).

NightLord
17-12-2006, 08:32
I agree. The redshirts here just want to talk about they're awesome new stuff and try to sell everything in the store to you becuase "It is the best model ever and I bought one also!"...
That is my experince anyways.

ReDavide
17-12-2006, 08:36
I moved out here a few months ago from a city that had no GW stores.

So a part of me was really stoked: "ooh, here in Seattle it's not even just a regular GW, but a battle bunker that has grand tournaments!!.

I had of course been here at Warseer for some time and had heard all the badmouthing of redshirts, but still, big names like Bunker and Grand had some effect on me.

So I went out to see if it'd be a good place to get my weekly gaming fix. Introduced myself to the manager and said I played 40k.

First thing out of his mouth: "OH have you seen the new White Dwarf? It's SO cool! If you EVER get a White Dwarf you GOTTA grab this one! It's PACKED with stuff!"

But me being a cynic, I have to ask him: "yeah? Show me."

So he opens it up to the first page "OMG check out these Eldar pics! They're SO AWESOME!"

It's an ad. With eldar pictures that have been on Warseer for months.

So I ask what else is in it.

And he turns the page and starts babbling about how look there's even more Eldar pics here! Doesn't it make me want to start an Eldar army!

At that, I can't help but start giggling a little, and ask what else is in it.

And he shows me another ad.

The manager was completely incapable of showing me any reason why I should buy WD aside from the content of its advertisements. :p

So I left. I did go back a couple times in the off chance of finding a healthy gaming group there, but eventually gave up.

I did feel a little bad for giggling at a guy who was just (a little too) earnestly trying to do his job though.

Darkseer
17-12-2006, 08:41
Anyone ever get the impression at GW that the red shirts treat everyone as if theyre just some newbie kid.

I'm 23 and been playing for 6 years and still get treated as if I'm a middle schooler walking in for the first time. Even my girlfriend noticed today those guys talk down to people like theyre 10 years old.

It varies from store to store, but I've found the similar irritation. Just mentioned stuff from back in 2nd edition or rogue trader and wait for the baffling looks on their faces.

I'm 23 too! *waves* :D

On the flip side, I've also encountered great guys in GW stores. They tend to be much older, but they actually know what they're talking about.

Hellfury
17-12-2006, 08:41
On an off toic aside, is there any solid gaming groups in Seattle? I am not too far away myself and have been considering relocating there. Sad to hear the battle bunker there is so naff.

Redshirts jobs are to sell products with GW corporate breathing down their necks to make sales quotas.

Thats why indy's are far superior, because they have a wide variety of product that sell themselves, generally.

NightLord
17-12-2006, 08:43
I moved out here a few months ago from a city that had no GW stores.

So a part of me was really stoked: "ooh, here in Seattle it's not even just a regular GW, but a battle bunker that has grand tournaments!!.

I had of course been here at Warseer for some time and had heard all the badmouthing of redshirts, but still, big names like Bunker and Grand had some effect on me.

So I went out to see if it'd be a good place to get my weekly gaming fix. Introduced myself to the manager and said I played 40k.

First thing out of his mouth: "OH have you seen the new White Dwarf? It's SO cool! If you EVER get a White Dwarf you GOTTA grab this one! It's PACKED with stuff!"

But me being a cynic, I just raise an eyebrow and tell him "yeah? Show me."

So he opens it up to the first page "OMG check out these Eldar pics! They're SO AWESOME!"

It's an ad. With eldar pictures that have been on Warseer for months.

So I ask what else is in it.

And he turns the page and starts babbling about how look there's even more Eldar pics here! Doesn't it make me want to start an Eldar army!

At that, I can't help but start giggling a little, and ask what else is in it.

And he shows me another ad.

The manager was completely incapable of showing me any reason why I should buy WD aside from the content of its advertisements. :p

So I left. I did go back a couple times in the off chance of finding a healthy gaming group there, but eventually gave up.

LOL! That was a great story. I hate going to GW stores because they try and sell me on every little thing. The limited experince I have had at a GW store I diddnt like becuase if I was looking for something they would come and stand over my shoulder and say "what are you looking for" ... Than I would say "Chaos Marines" or something similar and than say "im just looking tho" than end up talking to them for half an hour about the new chaos terminator lord... I adventually walked out.

Reflex
17-12-2006, 08:45
the one principal you HAVE TO REMEMBER when you walk into a GW store... as friendly as they are, they are still salesman.. so they are trying to sell there product to you, thats there number one rule.. but how they go about it is another picture... but that dosent mean they cant be genuinly friendly... you just have to be supremly careful...

Snakebite
17-12-2006, 08:47
I've had a similar experience to the original poster. A few years ago there was a kid that lived in my street, ten years old tops. Now this kid painted like a daemon. In the time it took me to hammer out a single model of gaming standard, he could produce an entire unit of display / competition standard. In the time it took me to complete a unit, he had an army. Every time he went in to the local store, he was judged by his age rather than the skills he had.

AmKhaibitu
17-12-2006, 08:51
The melbourne GW redshirts learned a long time ago not to try and provoke me to buy things, it doesn't work.

If they ask me if I've seen the latest WD I tell them I haven't bought it in years because it has nothing that interests me. Which ends that spiel quickly.

If they ask me what army I'm working on, it's one of the more niche ones and they can see I know what I'm after and not after.

It's only the really new red-shirts that don't think for a moment that maybe just maybe I don't need there help.
The rest of them we've been known to go out drinking or to the movies or run into each other at other locations and treat each other as people.

Darkseer
17-12-2006, 08:52
the one principal you HAVE TO REMEMBER when you walk into a GW store... as friendly as they are, they are still salesman.. so they are trying to sell there product to you, thats there number one rule..

True.
I guess it's like walking into a car dealers and saying 'Oh I'm just browsing'

Dspankdo
17-12-2006, 08:52
It's a shame that continental and U.S. stores are so unfriendly. I suppose in New Zealand they force white dwarf upon you as well but it's alright, just say in a strong voice "No I don't want one".

Gaebriel
17-12-2006, 09:02
I get the impression they are drilled towards selling to the main target of GW's marketing - children between 12-14 (or around that). What doesn't get into my head is why they can't - as thinking, self-acting persons - distinguish between their main target and other customers? Do they have to reel off the same speech regardless of who is entering the store? I mean, I got the same sermon, even though I'm possibly three times the age of their main target, and have visited the store for years. I would assume someone who collects a given army for years knows what they want when entering the store, but well, perhaps I expect too much.

Okay, as you can well see, my experience with Redshirts is a bad one, so bad that I finally skipped visiting the local GW and voluntarily pay Mail Order-postage.

Though I hear of really nice down-to-earth shops and employees - sadly not in my city...

Kromando33
17-12-2006, 09:04
the one principal you HAVE TO REMEMBER when you walk into a GW store... as friendly as they are, they are still salesman.. so they are trying to sell there product to you, thats there number one rule.. but how they go about it is another picture... but that dosent mean they cant be genuinly friendly... you just have to be supremly careful...

Yes but they (I have never encounted it, but generally speaking) dont have to act like telemarketers, 40k and the like will always cost money so the best way to get people to buy stuff is to really appeal to the hobby aspect and to talk about that with the customer.

The Dude
17-12-2006, 09:27
Well I have to say that I have had mixed experiences. I remember going into the Adelaide store just before the new Grey Knights came out and the Manager was in there putting some together. This was well before I was active on the net, so I hadn't heard much about them, and I said, "Oh their metal. I thought they might do them in plastic." He turns to me and says, "Real men work with metal." Well needless to say I was a bit offended. This is the sort of crack I can more than happily take from someone I've developed a raport with over time, but I hardly knew this guy. I had a few other incidents with this bloke in the future, but subsequently stopped going to the store.

Now the guys in that store are just ace. They always give everyone the same amount of attention and respect, and I've never been talked down to or seen it happen to anyone else. I do feel a bit preassured at other stores, but no more than any store where the salesperson wants to serve you.

I find the best comeback in a GW store for the, "what are you looking for?" line is, "Inspiration." :D

Arhalien
17-12-2006, 09:30
I haven't had probelems in my local GW with redshirts forcing me to buy stuff. The closest they've come is with a plug of the new rulebook carrying case, as I had been recently ranting (in good humour, honest) about the amnount of paper I had to carry around. They do seem largely very freidnly as well, with one exception.

the_dark_sarge
17-12-2006, 09:33
@Dspankdo
i completly agree
im aussie and every ones friendly at my store

Haarken
17-12-2006, 09:46
On my last trip to a GW store I was greeted by a redshirt wielding two tape measures screaming "I'm a lictor, rawr!!!". Now whilst this might have been cool if I had been say ten years of age it was a little disturbing at the age of 23. On the whole though the staff were friendly and helpful, asking if I was looking for something in particular or if I was browsing. I was asked if I wanted to buy the latest WD but I can understand this they are just doing their job, at the moment I have to offer every customer I serve the opportunity to buy a DVD they dont really want.

t-tauri
17-12-2006, 10:07
This isn't 40k specific so it's off to other GW.

Still learning
17-12-2006, 10:08
I go to GW Northland and Melbourne centeral quite abit in Melbourne Australia. There really friendly there and great guys. They do at times tend to speak down to ppl but overal there really nice friendly staff. Of course they there to sell products thats there job. What to you expect from a store.

Blagrot Squigbreff
17-12-2006, 10:14
The guys in my store are fine, they know what armies we collect or like and only try and plug stuff for those which is fine. We also help cover them, if the Area Manager or similar comes in and asks if they have shown something we say 'yes' and spout what we can remember (usually from Warseer;) ). The best idea they had was to always ask what people collect before starting spiels, that means they'll never be annoying, massively over-enthusiastic:p but not annoying.

Bugstomper
17-12-2006, 10:15
Experiences are a bit mixed round here, being in the UK i have lots of 'local' stores. Southampton, Bournemouth and Salisbury stores are all reasonably close and if i'm in town for anything i'll usually pop in just for a look around and constantly get hassled, it's always fun when a young member of staff comes up and asks me if i've ever seen these things before and i tell him i've been playing for 20 years, since rogue trader, the blank look is always priceless :)

Depending on how much of a rush i'm in I will usually chat to them, but the last time i went into southampton store i was a bit rude to one lad that immediately latched on to me as soon as i walked in the shop, told him i still play 2nd ed because the new rules are so poorly written and wheeled out a few of the other stock anti-GW answers, loudly enough for other browsers to hear and took the wind out of his sails, I did feel bad about it afterwards though as he's only doing his job, but i did say when he asked if i needed help that i didn't and was just looking, i even turned away but he still carried on talking to me, I just wanted to be left alone to browse!

As a complete contrast, I find the Winchester store excellent, they say hello when you walk in and then leave you to it, if i do have any questions they're always helpful and it has the same atmosphere that GW stores used to have before they became all about the hard sell and hassling customers into buying something.

Jim30
17-12-2006, 10:28
I tend to point out when approached that as I've been playing for nearly 20 years I know exactly what I'm looking for. Then wax lyrical about the old days and mention Ebay a lot. I also point out that the Dwarf is at its worst point ever, having bought it since 130.

They usually leave me alone then (although am I alone in recalling the redhsirts debate in the journal from about 10 years ago)

Luke
17-12-2006, 10:55
The staff at my local GW know me, they know I am a miserable cynical git. If the tattoos, mesomorphic frame and goatee don't tell them I am not a kid, I dunno what does.

They don't patronise me. In fact they don't even ask me if I want fries with that because they know that if I did want some glue, I would buy it.

Jimbobjeff
17-12-2006, 11:07
The guys at Derby are great, really friendly, true they do try to sell people stuff but it is their job!

Nazguire
17-12-2006, 11:10
The staff at my local GW know me, they know I am a miserable cynical git. If the tattoos, mesomorphic frame and goatee don't tell them I am not a kid, I dunno what does.

They don't patronise me. In fact they don't even ask me if I want fries with that because they know that if I did want some glue, I would buy it.

Luke, give me one reason why you shouldn't be my hero for life? Just one. :D

The Adelaide GW stores are quite alright from what I found, as are the Melbourne stores. The staff there are nice and no different then your ordinary retailing staff.

Paulus
17-12-2006, 11:16
I know what you mean, I order online because I don't like walking into the store knowing what I want & having someone try to convince me other wise.

On the other hand one of my friends is a red shirt, I know most his colleagues also as I've been pub with them all & they have been completely fine with me (if I lived any where near the store I'd go to that one).

My friend has told me that he has in the past been gave almost a script with things that he must ask any customer & if he didn't he could get into serious trouble.

Also a while back they had an internal promotion where which ever store in the region did the best sales over 3 months would win a 3,000 pt army of their choice for every member of staff - so they all wanted to sell you everything.

Back during the 5th edition of Warhammer when I'd just started collecting Lizardmen my local store had an Aussie managing it & he was fantastic, didn't last long though. I walked in & picked up the blisters to make a spearman unit, he came over put all bar the command group back on the shelf passed me 2 plastic boxed sets & said to me he'd mail order me the spear arms for store collection (I can't imagine why he didn't last, looking after a customer in such a way!)

Anyways the point of my post was just to say remember that red shirts are people doing a job to earn a living with bills to pay too.

Mr Zephy
17-12-2006, 11:59
Yeah you get a mixed lot really, my nearest GW store manager recently put down a no proxying rule because he was getting annoyed but the plus side of that was that he gave me some free spare crossbows for my mordheim gang.

MrLiy
17-12-2006, 17:16
So maybe I have just had bad luck, but then again it seems all the good stores are in Australia....Also noticed other 23 year olds sound off...thats funny.

The successful rogue trader stores I have seen, most of them hold game night in which everyone plays games has fun, no pressure. Then usually after the game alot of people end up taking new stuff home based on the friendly advice and discussion that occurred between the gamers.

kinda like...yeah its too bad you couldnt take down my land raider, maybe you should buy more lascannons for your army?

or...(everyone sitting around a table painting) Man the new models suck... yeah they do...but did you see the new wraithlord... yeah thats a cool model...I like the new parts...yeah they are cool...I think I want one...yeah I want one too!!

The stuff sells on its own! Heck everyone knows at my store that I cant leave weekly game night without at least being hard core tempted to buy a blister...(I'm trying to cut back I swear!!)

RampagingRavener
17-12-2006, 17:51
I understand all the 5-16 year olds probably idolize them for being the GW red-shirt guys.

To be honest, I find this statement far more patronising than anything I've had said to me by a Redshirt...

Anyway. My local GW (Edinburgh, for the record) doesn't have any of these problems. I walk in, exchange hellos with the staff, and get left to my own devices until I either ask one of them a question, or go and pay. I've occasionaly had the sales pitch thrown at me, such as for the BFSP starter set, but very rarely and it's usually easy enough to draw them away from it.

kortholaxthedamned
17-12-2006, 18:41
Round my local store, i've already built up a rapport with our staff. i'm only 15 and they don't talk down to me or try to sell me stuff. they know our group are getting into outside wargaming and they don't care, they just know that we wont succumb to advertising

Silent Speaker
17-12-2006, 18:46
I once found myself in GW Melbourne around six years ago (the first time I had been to a GW store). The staff were friendly enough, now that I look back on it.

This was around the time of the Armageddon 3 campaign and I had gone in to purchase one of the "Black Templar squads" (oh, how I wish they could be sold again).
I asked the one of the staff for one, then the "interrogation" began :rolleyes:

I fully understand why, I was rather young, "newbie" plastered all over me I guess (but I'd been playing for a whole year, promise :p) .

"What army do you play?" (duh, I thought, I wouldn't be buying marines if I played tyranids) etc., and I was like "yeah, yeah. Gimme!" Thrusting out the crisp fifty of cold not-so-hard-earned cash.

And then, the comment that shall live in infamy (the hallmark of my visit there in fact)

Him: "Do you know what's in the box?"--:P (again, mentally I was "like, duh!")

Me: "Yeah sure. A tactical squad and ccw's, a power sword, a meltagun and 3 scouts--" he cut me off--

Him:"Uh uh! To be a true Templar, you must call them neophytes" (he had a funny expression on his face when he said this, which added to the horror...the horror)

I paused, looked up at him, and I'm quite sure I looked like this :wtf: (floating letters and all).

Now, to the not-so-tender age of 13, in my oh so infinite teenage wisdom, this guy was "like, sooooo uncool!" (man, I needed a smack)

They were friendly then, I guess, to answer the original question. And I salute them due to them having to deal with brats, screamers, whiners and worse :P.
They are gamers, like us. I would suppose they don't like that crap as much as the next player. I know I couldn't work in a GW (from all the stories I hear)--I'd be too tempted to smack people (no matter the age--in fact, especially the old and unpleasant--you know the ones :P)

On another note, I rang GW Kensington the other day. The rep sounded
friendly enough :P (but you never know, might be a sociopathic maniac).

*Sigh. I wish I lived in the UK....the easy access to the whole range....the specialist games....the cold weather---oh well, I'll just make do with the sad little shoebox store that we have here (it may not be much, but it's ours I say :mad: )

Lockjaw
17-12-2006, 19:01
i've never been in a GW store in my life so far, so I guess I miss out on alont of the annoying stuff

Venomizer
17-12-2006, 19:38
I walk in, exchange hellos with the staff, and get left to my own devices until I either ask one of them a question, or go and pay. I.

it's the same for me whenever I go into the Newcastle & Metro Centre stores - I can't recall an occaision where I've had a sales pitch thrown at me to be truthfully honest

Dark Apostle197
17-12-2006, 19:49
I have never been talked down to as a red shirt(I am 15). I am friends with all the redshirts that go to my local store. I guess it just matters on where you are. By me, they are really friendly to first timers, and do favors for regulars(as long as they are reasonable :)). The only sales pitches I get is when I am about to buy something and they say "Got everything you need? Paints? Primer? Warhound Titan?

superduperkoopatrooper
17-12-2006, 20:01
[QUOTE=Gaebriel;1152663]

Totally off topic, but props for the avatar Gaebriel! What a dude. (Hicks btw, but probably you too :D)

General Samuel of the 101
17-12-2006, 20:05
The only sales pitches I get is when I am about to buy something and they say "Got everything you need? Paints? Primer? Warhound Titan?

Consider that Sigged!

superduperkoopatrooper
17-12-2006, 20:08
I find the best comeback in a GW store for the, "what are you looking for?" line is, "Inspiration." :D

Surely there's a new thread in itself right here?

Shadowseer Crofty
17-12-2006, 20:34
Anyway. My local GW (Edinburgh, for the record) doesn't have any of these problems. I walk in, exchange hellos with the staff, and get left to my own devices until I either ask one of them a question, or go and pay. I've occasionaly had the sales pitch thrown at me, such as for the BFSP starter set, but very rarely and it's usually easy enough to draw them away from it.

same thing happens at my local store (meadowhall), except after exchanging hellos, we (me and brotherdraagor or my mate not on here) sometimes get asked 'have you come for a game, or just buying?', or something like that. One of the guys there has known me and brotherdraagor for over a year, from the days of the old gaming center when he used to work there, he knows we're no newbies and that we know a lot about the hobby.
the nearest thing to the hard sell a blueshirt (as they were in blighty last time i was in a gw store, might of changed as i havent been in a while) has given me was, at the old gaming center (RIP), there was two of the new plastic giants on a table, not long after it was released, and i was lookng at them and saying i liked their chaos one, so the manager jokingly said something like 'how many will you be buying?'.

TCUTTER
17-12-2006, 20:47
the redshirts in west yorkshire play musical shops so regardless of where i go i know some one, the only problem i have is when new staff ask if ive been in the hobby long, when the other staff know i own damn near ever 40k army, the best tactic is to loudly go on about older stuff so everyone hears you leave him standing on knowledge, i hate people trying to sell me stuff, ive got a face for it i reckon, cos everybody picks me out and asks me, its a miracle i smile and act polite as inside im screaming ****** off

Dark Apostle197
17-12-2006, 20:49
Consider that Sigged!

The sad part is, that has happened :)

Matt_stanley75
17-12-2006, 20:58
As a recovering redshirt, having worked in a mall environment, you have to assume that 85% of the people who walk into your store have no idea WTF is going on at all. It's the nature of the niche hobby. If you're a frequent visitor, you're not going to get the "interrogation". You're going to get more of this: "Hey, Scott, how are you today? Bringing your Sisters for a game? Awesome. Brian's here, and he's been looking for a game. He's gotten his new Russ he wants to try out."

Jon_Irenicus
17-12-2006, 21:23
Matt´s got a point. You´re bound to find "geeks" everywhere. Like online playing, foruns... just to name a couple ;)

I´ve only been to two stores: Oxford street one and the Swansea one. I can´t exactly recall my passage through the O.S. one, as I was dazzled by everything (and the 600 euros I spent that left my dad swearing by my side... Good ol´ days...).
But at the Swansea one, everyone was great, they had to put up with me (back then, a very strange kid - now a strange young adult) walking back and forth for about a hour and a half while I waited for my dad.

It was December 2001... the Manager at the store (I think) even showed me the Gaunt sprue ;)

Stormtrooper Clark
17-12-2006, 21:29
I generally find them friendly, not often treated as a 'kid'. There is a little ignorant redshirt in my local Games Workshop who talks behind peoples backs (Heard him a couple of times) but never in 4 years met any unfriendly ones (except him)

Matt_stanley75
17-12-2006, 21:49
Some of us were/are jerks, to be fair. Let's face it, the redshirts are all gamers at heart. Social skills are not too common on the gamer skill set. :)

A "tank girl" (http://idogep.kepregeny.net/galeria/wallpapers/tank-girl.jpg)-esque female friend of mine who ran an Escher gang once ran into a redshirt who asked "You don't paint them pink, do you?"

Being a jerk can be double edged sword, though.

There was the "customer" who would come in during 40k night, loudly proclaim that he wasn't going to buy any of our overpriced crap anymore to anyone who would listen, how much better 40k was back during Rouge Trader, hang around game tables saying "Heh, just impacted on the surface!" every time someone missed with a heavy weapon, etc... I could go on, but I'd be here all week.

And yes, we think the stuff is overpriced, too. :)

Dark Apostle197
17-12-2006, 21:55
*gasp!* an (ex)redshirt saying GW stuff is overpriced? The world is coming to an end!

Yeah, we haven't had much problems at the one I go to since they banned the guy who put rat traps under the couch we had, then some kid's bloodthirster next to it. Needless to say he got banned for life. ... He also called the store asking how long life was...

luchog
17-12-2006, 22:03
I did feel a little bad for giggling at a guy who was just (a little too) earnestly trying to do his job though.

You're talking about D, the tall, heavyset manager, right? Nice guy, but just waaaaaay overenthusiastic about everything. Just his personality, apparently.

Some good people working there, a couple I consider friends. One or two who get on my nerves, though. They don't try to sell me crap every time I walk in the door, but I've been hanging out there for a while. They do get a little pushy whenever there's a big new release; but it's usually no worse than anywhere else I've been. Game stores around here seem to come in only two styles, the kind that try to sell you the entire store as soon as you walk in, and the kind that completely ignore you, even (especially?) when you need help with something.

Diomedes
17-12-2006, 22:38
Problem is their not very good salespeople most of the time, reeling off the same speel to everyone who walks in the door isn't going to get you as many sales as identifying the customers needs and then highlighting the benefits to him/her of this particular model and how useful it would be to them.

Instead they just try and push whatever the latest product is, this is a good strategy if every customer who walks in the door is brand new to the hobby as you can influence what they buy.

Doesn't work with customers who are familiar with the store and the products, are already collecting and have a fair idea what they want.

I have worked in sales for a fair chunk of my working life and I used to be a redshirt, GW's policy for selling I found quite restrictive.

Someone said its similar to walking into a car dealership, 99% of redshirts would make poor car salesmen.

People who want to buy a car will be looking at a certain type of car be it a saloon or a hatchback etc etc, they will have a budget in mind and probably like the look of a certain model already.

They will also be looking at other dealerships for the best price and as a salesperson its your job to sell them up the range as far as possible, get the best deal you can out of them and sell them optional extras and a warranty and convince them to buy from you not the dealership just down the road.

If a GW redshirt worked in a dealership they would be trying to sell a fully tooled up sports coupe to some poor sod who walked in wanting a compact hatchback for going to the shops and back.

The result would be the customer going down the road to the other dealership and buying what he wanted from there.

If you want to sell then you need to listen as well as talk, you need to build a rapport with your customer so that they trust your advice.

These things are key and not many redshirts I have encountered or worked with possess those skills, I sell to salespeople in my job and no one is harder to sell to than another salesman, I have to have a good relationship with my customers otherwise they will go elsewhere and GW is no different.

I know they figure that you have to buy from GW but you don't have to buy from that store, you can buy online or from another store.

Selling in GW stores should be a piece of cake, after all they have the market virtually cornered. When I worked for them I would listen to what new and young players thought was cool modelwise and if they prefered playing a game involving sword and sorcery or just blowing stuff up and then nudge them in the right direction.

Experienced gamers were just as easy, Identify what they play and how long they had been playing, discuss the finer points of the game with them and what armies they were having trouble with and again, give them some advice on what I thought might help them out and give them a gentle nudge in the direction of that model or rulebook etc etc.

However the hard sell makes their job that little bit harder IMO, Area managers coming into stores and breathing down their necks to sell the GW way or find another job is another factor in their customer aproach and a knock on effect is a high staff turnover as people either get fed up of it and leave or get fired for not selling the way they have been taught.

Ok rant over now!

Siam-Tiger
17-12-2006, 22:51
I make a big walk around the official stores. The guys working there have less to no knowledge about the hobby and are in general worse salesmen. The "oh really? i play that army too" sentence is so uncool and untrue. Beside, that no matter what i ask, nobody seams to have a proper answer "well, ah, you know, thats ... puh ... well ..." disappears.

This and the high amount of kids is freaking me in the gw stores.

MrLiy
17-12-2006, 22:56
Diomedes I think you just pointed out all I couldnt say over my frustration...

cardboard_armour
17-12-2006, 23:12
Well y'see the thing is....redshirts are not actually all the same person. They are differant. They are individual people so saying that all redshirts are friendly or all are unfriendly is just a wee bit glib. :p

However you could say that a majority of redshirts are pretty young as a GW salesman wage isn't exactly all that and a packet of walnuts. It may even be their first job. So in their fresh minds it is easier to play salesman and treat everyone with the same spiel than figure out how much attention each and every customer requires from them.

Being young nippers means that unless they've done a lot of archive diving they're not gonna have heard of a lot of the earlier stuff so don't judge them for their lack of in depth knowledge. Love of the hobby as it is now is every bit as valid as love for the old days.

I don't visit GW very often anymore and this isn't because I've boycotted the place its just because its kinda far away and mail order is easier. I still go in whenever I'm in the area and take a look around. I'm never browsing as I pretty much know from White Dwarf and Internet exactly what is going to be in there and where to find it. If I want it then i get it. This does not mean I resent the attention of the staff. It doesn't take much to just explain that you don't need their help. They're just doing their jobs. After a while they learnt who is a vet and who isn't and learn to read the signs (but by then they'll probably be off to uni/new job).

If I've ever had a bad experience with GW staff its usually a manager who feels the need to display their authority by suddenly being completely unreasonable just because they can.

Dark Apostle197
17-12-2006, 23:53
If I've ever had a bad experience with GW staff its usually a manager who feels the need to display their authority by suddenly being completely unreasonable just because they can.

Ya, we had a manager like that two managers ago. We used to have a "has to be fully based and painted to play" policy(which was broken every once in a while by people who spent a lot of time in painting and modeling so it would be a while to use it). So, I can understand the manager saying oh well it is not painted you cannot use it. Instead he would go to the table, knock over the miniatures and say "the emporer says he is dead" Many a figure was broken that way.

Dat Wildboy
18-12-2006, 00:28
GW redshirts are friendly to customers as a dog is friendly to steak. they are nice enough, but condscending and a little pushy with their sales pitch because of one thing- they want your money!

yes, when i picked up my skull pass box, they said i'd have a good time with that and they said they thought they remembered my name. i've been there 3 times in my life. they said i was there every saturday. in fact they had me muddled up with a Jewish kid who came in every week and had a slightly different last name than me. but they insisted i was a Mr. Solman for 20 minutes. condscending doesn't describe it.

do i want paint with that? no i want a large fries! its not a fast food restaurant! if i want paint, i'll ask.

argh! capitalism at its worst. they're aiming so much for the younger market its all they focus on. literally!

Kromando33
18-12-2006, 00:46
Ya, we had a manager like that two managers ago. We used to have a "has to be fully based and painted to play" policy(which was broken every once in a while by people who spent a lot of time in painting and modeling so it would be a while to use it). So, I can understand the manager saying oh well it is not painted you cannot use it. Instead he would go to the table, knock over the miniatures and say "the emporer says he is dead" Many a figure was broken that way.

Your joking, right?

Matt_stanley75
18-12-2006, 00:55
do i want paint with that? no i want a large fries! its not a fast food restaurant! if i want paint, i'll ask.

argh! capitalism at its worst. they're aiming so much for the younger market its all they focus on. literally!

Wildboy, I see your point that GW stores are not Fast Food Places, and I'm hoping that you can see my point: Asking you if you need anything else is polite.

It's customer service. Does it help the store? Yes. It keeps our profit up, which allows us to stay in business. Does it help you? Yes. I can't count the number of times people forgot that they needed glue or that pot of paint. It sucks having to make two trips down to the shop. If you don't need anything else, say no. We won't stab you or nothin'

Asking isn't bad, insisting is. "Do you need anything else before we ring you up?" is miles away from "You HAVE to pick up the new issue of white dwarf! *froth, froth*"

Dark Apostle197
18-12-2006, 01:01
Your joking, right?

Unfortunately... No.

rivers3162
18-12-2006, 02:22
From my personal experience (GWs Carlisle and Glasgow) most staff seem to be ok. I've gone to the carlisle store since I was about 8 (over a decade) and once you become a "regular" you really don't get the hassle. In fact, I've seen staff try to convince me not to buy stuff in order to get me to focus on one army!

Although I did go into GW Glasgow the other weekend, got the usual "what army do you play?" so I said I was thinking about doing Imperial Fists. Then the redshirt tried to get me to buy a BFSP starter paint set cos apparently the yellow in it covers better. £12 for one paint? Tried telling him I preferred vallejo paints but still he insisted. Needless to say a swift kick in the nads sorted him out.

The only other real bad experience I've had was when I went into another store carrying a local Indie bag with Flames of War and Warmachine stuff in it. One of the guys who came over to ask if he could help me then proceeded to tell me that FoW was "a poor mans epic" and Wm was just **** (the bag was see-through). This really pissed me off which I think is understandable and I've heard other people talk of "GW elitism" although in my experience, many of the reshirts I know actively play other non GW games so I'm not suggesting that this attitude is typical of all staffers

Drummerboy
18-12-2006, 02:23
As a "Redshirt" (don't get that phrase- we've been wearing blue for a while now...) myself, I know we try as damn hard as we can to keep each and every one of you guys sweet, be it trying to strike up a conversation, lending you some glue to fix that broken model, respecting your wishes for privacy instore, or sometimes going that extra mile for a customer where other companies staff might not (just last month, I made a 80 mile round trip to another city and back on the trains to pick a model for one of our regulars who needed to give his girlfriend the wood elf Dragon after we ran out of stock- other companies would say "sold out, mate").

You see, keeping a friendly atmosphere in store is essential to the community based side of our hobby. Imagine the difference to the mum of a new customer when she walks in to a store, and a welcoming face greets her, and offers to show her what the hobby is all about. What are we supposed to do- ignore them, and let them look round, get all confused, and have them leave? That means one less potential opponent for the rest of us, and a little bit of the future of the hobby dies out.

In terms of talking to you veterens of the hobby, and the attitude that we should know just by looking at you that you have 4 Companies of Imperial Fists, the Entire army of Altdorf, or enough models to re-enact the Battke of Pelannor Fields full scale is frankly, (and sorry to use a Surrey-ism), daft. We get 23 yr olds who have no idea what we are about, same as we get 40 yr olds and 8 yr olds. Everyone gets the same friendly smile, and an enquiry as to what brings them in today. is that really so bad? We will try as hard as we can to remember your name, what army you are doing etc(that helps when your girlfriend or parent comes in and says "John collects something but I don;t know what.." and we say "oh John! Yeah, he collects LOTR and has been on about gettng a Balrog for ages! He'd love that!" - great customer service, NOT hard selling) Hell, where I am, parents get free personal shoppers and cups of coffee on us. Who else does that?!

We are just gamers like you, but we have made a conscious decision to make a job or career out of the hobby, and for most of us, it is because we love interacting with both the hobby and it's community (read: you guys!). If someone is trying to help you, don;t be rude- as Matt Stanley said, just politley tell us you're ok, and we will leave you alone. We have no hidden agenda, no "list of things we must say if we don't wanna get in trouble" or quotas. And we certainly don;t get comission! Hard selling is discouraged and punished where I am, because we know it can ruin your opinion of us and GW as a whole- something a niche company cannot afford to do. Not only that, but it's crap and doesn't come naturally to any of us.

And guys, it's hard to be smiley to anyone if they have a "one upmanship" attitude where you try to prove us wrong on everything we say, or pick holes in advice, or didn't realise from the small Imperial Eagle Badge you were wearing that you have been playing for 20 years. Just be polite- it's good advice for your life in general. Nobody likes someone who always has to be "just one better than you"- we try not to do it, so please try not to do it back?

At the end of the day, we are just normal guys who love the hobby as mush as you do, so see that as common ground, and try to look at any problems you see as "hassling" as, in fact, trying to help you and make your experience of the hobby better.

Cheers
Nick

Aurellis
18-12-2006, 02:46
I'm with the previous poster. I'm on a gap year and i'm a senior manager of a fast-food restaurant to tide me over until the police force in my region is recruiting again.
I know what crap selling is... ever tried to motivate 50 lazy staff to suggestive sell yoghurts at 1 oclock on saturday afternoons when theres a queue out the door at a staff meeting? Impossible, they think its stupid, i think its stupid... damn, my regional manager thinks its stupid but it has to be done

now, whats more relevant being asked whether you want some glue to go with the Tau Megaforce you just purchased as your new army or randomly asking a 45 year old biker and his wife whether they want a yoghurt...

im not fussed when staff ask me if i want a product, only when they droan on about how Assault Marines would make a great addition to my Salamanders however unfluffy that would be

:evilgrin:

(EDIT: it pays well so i dont mind the laborious task of telling chavs they dont have the job)

hiram
18-12-2006, 03:00
that has got to be the best explaination of a staff members job I have ever heard. Good on you brother.

Dan
GW colorado mills, U.S.A.

Dark Apostle197
18-12-2006, 03:07
Drummer, you have blue shirts? Every GW I have been to still has the red shirts. Though this is in the US.

MrLiy
18-12-2006, 05:39
Drummerboy, as being the original poster, and first complainer I feel that I must reply to your post. That was great man, I was hoping a GW employee would get on and show us their perspective. Afterall its not gamers vs. employees were supposed to all get along and make the hobby work. Having worked as an actual commissioned sales counselor I know the look in someones face when you offer that extended warranty on their brand new Tv. Only to have them thank you when their Tv broke down a month after warranty expired and they can get a free replacement with the warranty you "shoved down their throat." I understand...and I do know that some customers are just as condescending as we claim GW staff is. I just wish they would follow an old sales addage.

"The best salesman is one who listens more than talks."

Everyone knows that most people in the hobby love to talk about the hobby no matter who the person is. I feel like talking to a guy at the store should be like talking to someone you just met and realized you had alot in common with.

escobar
18-12-2006, 06:01
This super friendliness really annoys me when I go (very rarely) into a GW store and I really need to psych myself up for the barrage of questions. I just want a hello.

I was a red(and blue) shirt about 8 years ago and I understand they need to go through their ten point customer service plan thing but I just find it off putting. I have just started back into painting/wargaming after a long break but am sticking to website for news and purchasing only going in to pick up some paints.

I know most people walk into a GW blind and in their defence I think one of the things I found working there was that you got into a rhythm and it was hard to shake off. The majority of the customers were/are young kids and teenagers and it does tend to infantalise you a bit in your conversation. If you spend a whole sunday afternoon running a battle for 25 twelve year olds, trying to suddenly have a chat about obscure background questions or music/drinks/"how's the job going?" can be difficult.

I do think GW do go the extra mile and making coffee for a harassed parent was one of the nicest things I ever seen in any shop but I'm a 27 year old guy, not a 8 year old, no other retail environment I go into (and I have to go into pretty obscure niche ones with work) has staff gurning at me as soon as i walk in the door...

Killshot
18-12-2006, 06:20
You know, I have never had a problem with a GW employee. I have always found them to be very friendly and as professional as you can be when trying to sell toy soldiers for a living. :) I wish I still lived in Maryland!

MrLiy
18-12-2006, 06:29
Some of the best times I had at a Rogue trader store were sitting around the table at 1 AM sunday morning discussing fluff and the philosophy of different characters.

Lets face it Warhammer is poker night for geeks...

Elanthanis
18-12-2006, 07:08
You know, I have never had a problem with a GW employee. I have always found them to be very friendly and as professional as you can be when trying to sell toy soldiers for a living. :) I wish I still lived in Maryland!

Truth... Maryland's had some great guys as far as workers go, many of which are vets themselves who jumped over into the work.

I've been fairly impressed with most staff since I started going to GWs 12 years ago.

Forbiddenknowledge
18-12-2006, 10:30
Most of my staff are ok.... I went in the other day, had a nice chat as I picked up my stuff, and then had a laugh as I tried to haggle for more christmas sweeties, and then they asked why I hadn't been down for a while, and we had a nice chat. They know me well enough not to try and sell me stuff, unless its something really cool, and they don't talk down to anyone, from what I had seen.

scarletsquig
18-12-2006, 10:47
My local GW staff recognised me even though I hadn't set foot in the store for 3 years.

That was awesome :D

Seeing all these complaints about the staff is kinda irritating - there are a few things wrong with GW at the moment, but the quality of their staff certainly isn't one of them. It's not so bad though, considering the only problem anyone seems to have with them is "they're too nice, dammit!"

Hell, back in the day I hardly ever bought stuff from the store, and yet played games, hung around/ had a laugh... the atmosphere in GW stores is great.
Does a great job of displaying the hobby as a social one (even though it is for geeks).

Jedi152
18-12-2006, 10:58
I've only really had experience of the staff at WW, but they're a superb bunch of lads - they do recognise me, but i've a suspicion that that's only because i usually go in with ms. Jedi...

The never push any sales talk on me, we can just have a good old chat about the hobby - and a laugh about parents coming in to buy their kids something for Christmas.

"My son wants some Warhammer!". Cue a session trying to work out what games system/army their child collects.

I want to be approached when i go in - i'd hate it if they were hanging around near the till doing nothing. This is especially true at WW, they get a lot of new starters or visitors from all over the country, and i'm sure they're a lot happier and more relaxed with a bit of banter from the staff.

I wouldn't mind a weekend job there myself - i love talking to others about the hobby, and getting new people into it, i've successfully got a few friends into it so far, and i'm working on ms. Jedi...

Osbad
18-12-2006, 11:09
I must admit that I find my local red/blue/pinkshirts friendly but not really in a good way. More in the sort of way that my cousin's dog is over-friendly in the way he insists on "cuddling" my lower leg. It's sort of cute, but not exactly enjoyable...

Bugstomper
18-12-2006, 12:31
Drummer boy, I fear you're talking about how GW stores used to be, or certainly in my area. What you describe is the ideal, and is why i'll often go and buy stuff from the Winchester store simply because it's nice going in there despite being far cheaper online. However, all the other stores in my area are the complete opposite and exactly how all the complaining posts have described them.

It's not a case of one upmanship to say you've been playing it for 20 years, it's a polite form of saying "i don't need you to tell me what a marine and a goblin are, please let me just look round the store without feeling under pressure to buy what you want me to buy". Maybe it's the mannerisms, possibly could be the youth as Winchester's staff seem to be the oldest around here although Southampton used to be great to visit and the staff were young then so i don't think it's that.

Perhaps they just need to be taught properly by the management to understand the difference between when someone wants to talk and when someone just wants to be left to browse, i've no objection to being asked whether i play the games or not, it would be rediculous to assume they could tell without asking, but once asked i think it's obvious from the way that answer is given and associated body language whether that person wants to then carry on talking about it or just be left to browse.

I've no qualms about the friendlyness of the staff, every store i've ever been to has been friendly, it's the over-friendlyness that's annoying, being followed around the shop when you go in to pick up the new eldar codex and told why the thing you're about to buy anyway is the best thing ever and how you should also be buying all the new figures to go with it is just annoying.

Jim
18-12-2006, 13:04
Well done Drummerboy!...it all depends who you speak to, but most of the time the staff are going to be people who you've got something in common with and can have a nice natter to...

@Bugstomper: I used to work at GW Southampton 1997-2000 while I was at Uni there and had a great time...the guys there in that time were awesome and I really miss working there...(Hi to Bob, Rod, Joe, Steve, Jon, Den & anyone else who worked with me!)

James

Bugstomper
18-12-2006, 14:38
Bob, Rod and Steve were top fellas (didn't know the others, at least if i did i didn't know those were their names :) ), when they left the shop went downhill, although Rod did come back he hasn't been there the last few times i've been in so don't know if he's moved on again.

MrLiy
18-12-2006, 17:08
Must be great to live in the UK with all the great stores available there. Here in the US they are spread apart and confined to a few metro areas. Perhaps the difference in customer service is based on the idea that staff are used to catering more to vets in the UK than in the US?

chunk
18-12-2006, 18:44
Having been a reguler at my local store for a long while, I've never been treated with the whole customer greeting thing. Apparently new staff are warned about all the 'regs'.But business took me to Littlehampton for a few weeks and I was short on a few hobby essentials. So I walked in expecting a veritable circus...

...and nothing. Just silence. A manager and two staff members were staring at me as if I'd just let off a fart. It was that bad I tryed starting a conversation. I bought the things I wanted and left. Maybe its a local thing.

On the other hand in the Basingstoke store the manager wouldnt leave me alone, no matter how much I tryed to convince him I was already into the hobby.

Hlokk
18-12-2006, 19:23
To be honest, I've had more bother with managers than I have with staff members. Case in point, My mate Alan is a regular at one store in Yorkshire (Im not naming which in case GW legal are watching), I went in there with him a lot a few years ago. The staff members were nice enough, but the manager was an ****. Not in a "buy this, buy that" sence, but in a "I am king of the geeks, look at my girlie hair" sort of way. Apparently he's some head guy in Scotland now.

When I lived in Sheffield, I found most of the staff there to be very friendly, and very knowledgeable. There was once incident where a staffer swore at a 10 year old, which I thought was a bit mean, but apart from that, their a great set of lads (especially that bald guy in meadowhall).

Overall though, I do appreciate they have a job to do, which is why I've kind of backed off being a "regular". I normally do go in once or twice a week, but only for 10-15 minutes at a time. I buy what I need and leave, as its still a business first, and not a social club.

Take my advice for what its worth. The best staff to chat to are the 17-18 year old girls working the tills in supermarkets. I've gotten loads of numbers that way ;)

Kellindel
18-12-2006, 19:58
I have a funny story. Actually all happened in one day at the same store.

I walked into the GW store and was just looking around. I already had more than enough stuff and I was passing time as my wife did her shopping.

A red shirt walked up and asked if I needed any help as I walked around the Fantasy stuff just wondering if I wanted to buy another command pack for my DE or not. I told no, I was just looking around.

He asked if I played fantast .... I told him yes .... he asked what army ... I told him Dark Elves ... and he literally shouted:

"THEY ROCK!!!"

And proceeded to tell me everything I already knew about the army. And I stood there, trying to ignore him when I realized I technically wasn't cause I was nodding me head now and again cause I wasn't trying to be rude.

So then he asked if I was interested in starting a new army some time and I said "sure" and he asked which one, and I was like "Ahhhh .... I don't know, maybe Empire" and he literally shouted:

"THEY ROCK!!!"

And proceeded to tell me everything I already knew about the army. And I stood there, trying to ignore him when I realized I technically wasn't cause I was nodding me head now and again cause I wasn't trying to be rude.

So I went over to the 40K side just to see if I could make this guy loose interest in me and start badgering the kids with their parents that walked in but he was stuck to me like a Leech looking for my last drop of blood. He noticed where we were and asked if I played 40k too ...... I decided to test my theory and said "Yeah several", and as I suspected he asked which ones. And I started listing first the two that I actually played ... Dark Eldar and Eldar ....

And as I thought, he yelled "THOSE ROCK!!!"

And I proceeded to call off the Guard, then Marines, then clearified that they were Space Wolves, then Tau, and a Kroot Merc unit ...

And after each one he yelled "THEY ROCK!!!!"

Now I was literally on the verge of breaking out in a laughing fit that would have put me in intensive care .... I was actaully hurting that much ... I couldn't get two words out cause it sounded like I was studdering ... but I was just trying not to burst out laughing in this guys face.

So I said I had to leave and he said to come back ....

But I saw the new White Dwarf on the counter and took a quick look through it and that's when I noticed he had then latched on to the previously mentioned mother and was chasing her around the store trying to explain to her who and what the Primarchs were and why they were important.

She looked at me, I looked at her .... And the dam broke.

I started laughing to hard I almost wet myself. The poor guy looked at me like there might actually be something seriously wrong and scanned the store most likely to see if someone had fell or something ... I don't know ...

All I know is that I turned around and left, I was already crying and I was laughing about the situation for the next 5 months. All I know is that the episode can be drummed up in one phrase.

"It Rocked"

Paulus
18-12-2006, 20:04
THAT ROCKS! lol - Seriously it does!!

Arhalien
19-12-2006, 10:52
There seem to be quite a few people complaining abouit redshirts trying to constantly force you to buy stuff. I thought i;d just add one of my experiences. I recently went in (as i usually do on a saturday), bringing with me a gunked up pot of superglue, whose brush I had managed to ruin. It was still reasonably full and instead of telling me to buy a new one as I;d half expected, they just gave me the lid from an old pot that they had, still with a perfectly servicable bursh. Only a little thing, but it can very often be the little things that make a difference.

And my local redshirts wear blue shirts btw.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
19-12-2006, 13:48
unfortunetaly quite a few staff members are like over enthusiastic puppies in thier zeal, as soon as they see someone come through the door they pounce from out of nowhere asking a barrage of questions at you in thier "must make a sale " mindset, oh the shame, i had one who defended the wd mag by saying people dont want long battle reports you can find thousands on line and it has not got worse it has got more focused!!!!!!

Kellindel
19-12-2006, 15:28
There seem to be quite a few people complaining abouit redshirts trying to constantly force you to buy stuff. I thought i;d just add one of my experiences. I recently went in (as i usually do on a saturday), bringing with me a gunked up pot of superglue, whose brush I had managed to ruin. It was still reasonably full and instead of telling me to buy a new one as I;d half expected, they just gave me the lid from an old pot that they had, still with a perfectly servicable bursh. Only a little thing, but it can very often be the little things that make a difference.

And my local redshirts wear blue shirts btw.

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. Sometimes a red shirt can be your biggest friend if they think it will lead to bigger sales later on.

Like one red short found out that I was a little curious about the Ulthwe Strike Force while we were all waiting for the EoT codex to come out. Said red shirt grabbed his managers laptop (who was not in the office at the moment), and showed me the PDF for the codex that management is given before the first printings are sent out to the stores.

Granted it didn't lead to any sales from me cause I already had enough stuck to make a few strike forces and a standard force. :-)

At least their working hard and earning a living.

Jellicoe
19-12-2006, 15:55
By and large fine and the chaps at Maidstone are definitely in the hard core gamer category and good to natter to as well as very honest about what is good and what is not

Occasionaly in other stores I have come across the 'over enthusiastic must sell keen puppy approach' which is somewhat irritating. It is a minority and generally only from the more youthful redshirts. A quick chat about lead based minatures being the bulk of warhammer army normally calms this as they mentally calculate that this means it was purchased before their conception and therefore putting me in the total fanboy category

the exception not the rule

Bob5000
19-12-2006, 22:22
I have no complaints about any of the GW staff I have met in visits to a fair number of GW Stores . Maybe its because I actually enjoy chatting about the Hobby . I have never ..never had any hard sell , and always find staff friendly .

arkle
20-12-2006, 00:09
I must admit I was a little annoyed the other day. I went in to place a mail order and buy a raptor champion, as usual I said hello as I'm on name terms with them. I went over to the chaos 40k section to have a look, as you do browse the blisters, and a new one came up to me stood right next to me and asked me what I was thinking about buying :wtf: . So I told him what I was interested in getting and he literally search through the chaos blisters looking for the blister. I mean its one thing if you don't know what your looking for but I was stood in the right section busy having a look. Needless to say I was less than impressed, he seemed ok after that but I guess it was my fault when I went in he asked if I was a regualr and I answer "buyer" ,as I don't go there to game often.

Melchiah
20-12-2006, 00:42
Ive been a cult member at the local GW an one of few that knew that they named their crapper after an ex-emplee:rolleyes:
And it never fails everytime theres a new guy or guy whos worked somewhere else or got transfered says "may i help you" I say
Nope only mentally....followed but the laughter of the Reglar staff and gamers there.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
20-12-2006, 09:45
Well my 'local' GW shop is about one hour far from my home so most of the time I shop online.
Over here in Germany generally said the redshirts are quite nice people (even my best friend always proves them wrong rules-wise in 40k ;) ).

But seem to follow the sheme, the Gw-salesman-training told to them, every day and to almost all customers. I.e. that means since I stepped in through the door the first time (years ago) they still ask the same questions in same order:
"hello, may I help you?"
No. Just lookin' ...
"Are you lookin' for something special?"
Dunno. Thinking about buying this or those box.
"You'll find them there in the corner."
Thanks - I know, have been here before.
"Ahhh excellent choice. Do you need any colours or brushes?"
Nope. I own the complete range of Citadel and Vallejo.
"Oh? Really-so you be IN the hobby longer already."
Give a dfinition of "longer"-13 (almost 14 years) enough?
"Wow. Ok I see you are fine then. If you have questions feel free to ask."
Appreciated.

Well, I guess the guys just ask that crap because they are trained to. I think it is ok. I don't feel bad about it. If you know them longer (and other way around) they are really cool players/conversation partners.

Just one time I had this annoying shop-redshirt asking me a bit strange questions ( I guess he was new and had to prove his coolness/salesman skills) like as I entered:
"Hey there. I am Markus and I know exactly what you need!!"
I was shocked as he nearly jumped at me almost like he was short before giving me a hug....so I answered: You know what I want? How did you know I was lookin' for oral satisfaction? :D

He blushed and sneaked away. I know I was rude but it was worth the fun.

nanktank
20-12-2006, 23:13
The red shirt at my local store can never seem to decide what he is trying to sell me, in fact I hardly ever go to games workshop as it's far too pushy for my liking, the only time I'll even consider making the trip is when I absolutely exhaust every possibility.

FarseerUshanti
21-12-2006, 22:45
Working in retail myself partime (although at EB games) I have found that generally GW people are more pushy in terms of selling things. The Eb Games I work at has a sort if philosiphy where we wait for a customer to enter the store and begin browsing. Usually you can tell if somebody is either a videogame player, a parent looking for a game for thier child, or somebody who has no idea what the store even sells. We then ask people just the simple question if they need any help. If they reply no just browsing then we tell them if they have any questions to just ask, and if they do need help we give them a hand. This would seem to work at GW if they actually had the IQ to master the process.

Drummerboy
22-12-2006, 03:36
Farseer Ushanti-I'm a Full Timer at Warhammer World- the single best GW store in the world, and I've just graduated from Leicester University with a 2:1 BA Hons degree after taking 12 GCSE's and 4 A Levels. Prey, tell me just how low my IQ is?
This thread has turned into nothing more than an oppertunity for some of you to completely slag off GW staff, and it isn't on - Are you guys actually trying to alienate anybody that works for the company here, because it sure as hell looks like it?I've sat and read threads for the last few days, and while some of you have nice things to say (Mr. Jedi... thankyou, sir, but who are you?!), a lot of posts seem to generalise the entirity of GW staff by stating a single event where they feel they were being "hard sold" to, or hassled. Is this really fair? Are you typifying all of us under one flag because of some random guy who can't do his job properly? I've taken a lot of the comments you guys have made quite personally, becasue I really care about a) my job b) the hobby community and c) what our customers generally feel about us, and to many post have started "I hate all redshirts because this one time, this one staff member did one thing stupid" and it grates so much. It would seem like I can try as hard as I can every day to make as many people smile as I can, but there will always be a core of customers who hate us because we try and start a conversation. Is that such a crime?

What do you think GW staff like myself are going to think when reading this thread? Don't you think this correlates well with the recent "What do GW Staff think of Warseer?" poll, because I think it does. Any staf member who visits here who does not have the patience (or copious amounts of spare time) I have will see one thread like this and never return.

Here's the true lowdown on our jobs - yes, of couse we are sales people - GW is a business, same as any other, but with a big difference. We ourselves are passionate hobbyists, who are eager to spread the hobby love- there may be ways some staff try to do this that you do not appreciate, but believe it or not, our job is actually quite hard. Approaching a complete stranger and trying to start a conversation can be nerve wracking for new staff members, especially if before tey get there, they'vre recieved the rolling of the eyes which says "God, here he comes, desperate to make a sale.."

Let me tell you chums, with my hand on heart, that making shed loads of money and "making massive sales" matters not to the best of us staffers. We don't give two hoots about it- we don't get comission or any bonuses, so what the hell do we care? I'll tell you... What we try and do is to suggest ideas that might make you get more out of the hobby - to enjoy it more. Sometimes it's buying more stuff- sometimes it's buying less.

Two case - in points here-
1. 7yr old Kid comes into strore for the first ever time, with his mum, and wants to spend his £150 Xmas money in store, despite the fact he's a touch young for gaming. Rather than lick our lips and pile that stock high, any staffer worth his salt will talk to the parent and ensure this hobby is truly suitable, and may even recommend buying a simple paintset instead, to have a try out without spending too much.

2. Mum comes in to buy a Wraithlord, Dire Avengers, Falcon and bits for kids Eldar Xmas pressie. I show her the army deal, and she buys it. No pressure from me at all. Now imagine that kid on Xmas morning opening what he thought was a few bits of Eldar and finding an Army Deal. He'd wet his pants and rightly so. Not hard selling, but simply showing an unsure parent something that she thought would make her kid really happy. Wow, what a criminal I am for doing that, huh? (maaaaan, I want an Eldar Army Deal for Xmas!!)

Both these sales were immensely personally satisfying (I did both this last week), because we know we have done the right thing by the customer, and that they are gonna get maximum enjoyment out of the hobby.

The Original poster (MrLiv) stated in response to my last post that he agreed that "we are all part of the same hobby" and that it "isn't a case of us and them" (or words to that effect) - isn't that mantra worthwile? I certainly hold that to be true - it's what try to remember every day on the so floor.

Please, for this board's sake, stop indiscriminatley flaming staff in store. Would you really prefer that the whole company was a faceless, online only monster? I try my ass of for GW and it's customers every day,so please try to respect that not just make assumptions about what training we recieve when you have no idea.

And please don't insult our IQ - if you don't know us, don't make personal comments.

Cheers
Nick

Zzarchov
22-12-2006, 04:14
To be fair nick, one sales person a multi-national franchise does not make. I went into my first actual GW store at 23 (always had been local gaming stores before). The kid came over (he was about 18 tops) looked me over (I happened to be wearing a dress shirt and tie) and said "You're kid isn't old enough to play these games yet". Now perhaps he was truly thinking he was saving me some time and being helpful.

It actually made me think, damn...I am to old to be playing with toy soldiers aren't I?

It is true that in most countries GW is not on the high end for paying for salespeople. And, while loving a hobby is fine..most people will take a higher salary rather than working in their hobby (after all, you have other things to spend on than your hobby, especially with a family). GW in general does not pay their staff equal to or above industry standards (unless this has changed in the last few years). Nor do they have a very good HR department (again this may have changed in the last few years) so while there will be some good employees, there will also be alot of bad employees besmirching your name.

hiram
22-12-2006, 09:01
You know what I have to agree with nick on a lot of what he said with a few notable exceptions.
1] most of you veterans are jerks when you come into a store, why does it makes you feel good to demean someone in public for your own enjoyment, poor parenting?
2]most of you couldn't do our jobs if you really wanted to, feeling superior to those who are getting into the hobby for the first time and looking down on them wouldn't instill much confidence in them as a hobbyist, it takes time and patience to groom a person to this.
3]wow many of you have been playing since RT days good for you, many people have not and actually enjoy the game as it is today so get over yourselves as self styled gurus of the hobby, you aint that cool.
4] all of the games workshop staff are hobbyists too, don't forget it or get mad that we actually enjoy the hobby.
5] this is our job, how we pay our bills and care for our families, don't think that we just want to play with toys all day, we don't lambast other professions don't do it to ours.
6]how many of you actually work for a multi-national company that works in a hobby market; if you don't than pipe down on how to run our company.

Gaebriel
22-12-2006, 09:17
I don't think that one bad experience makes a bad company, though more general customers may, but that will happen with every company, not only GW.

The only thing I can say is I have visited more than one GW store the recent years, and I was treated the same kinda annoying, slightly intrusive way. Now I admit I'm a very independent person who rather likes to find his own way around a store and not being led. As well as I wouldn't generally enter a store without having the slightest idea what make of the merchandise (lingerie stores apart, but even there I would rather browse alone before I asked for assistance). I also admit, I don't have all that stamped onto my forehead. On the other hand what I learned in business 101 was making eye contact with an entering customer in the first 5 seconds, judge whether they seem to want my assistance or are acting confused by their surroundings, and then either let them browse or approach them when I'm free. Subtlety, I say, above all none-verbal except for an obligatory greeting when I'm not occupied with another customer.

In essence, I would like to be left alone, period, and most other shops I visit make me happy with that. GW is one of a couple of places that don't and in reaction I don't go there often.

Individualistic - yes, more to do with company politics than the individual 'Redshirt' - yup, righteously annoying for me (me alone) - yes.

Bombot
22-12-2006, 12:28
I’ve been subject to the over-enthusiastic approach before but the staff at my local store are fine. I go in, they ask if I need any help, I give a brief but reasonably cheerful “Just looking mate” and they leave me to it. No harm done. If I need help, I ask for it and they do offer useful help. I can filter the useful advice from the hard-sell (no thank you, Mr Manager, a £150 paint set will not be necessary. I only want 10 paints :) ). Plus, the staff there actually know about Epic :cool: .

I would say that the ‘over-enthusiasm’ is not a feature of the majority of staff but maybe you get it in the majority of stores. Or maybe about 50%. It’s definitely a common enough feature to be seen as a company ‘trait’. It hardly offends me but I guess I’m just a little bemused when someone can’t see that some ‘veterans’, either because we’re ‘indiviualistic’ or because we’re ‘jerks’, need a different sales approach to the kids and parents.

But most staff are fine. Labelling them all as annoying is way off base.

Inquisitor_Pink
22-12-2006, 12:54
I once had a red shirt shout at me:

"Buy something!!! And not just a pot of paint!!!!!" That was her idea of, 'Hello is there anything I can help you with.'

I was actually livid at this as every time I go in it's to buy something.. I don't just wander in for no reason then leave. I go down on my lunch break grab what I need then run back to work. To have a Key timer yell at me to buy stuff was just insulting. I told her to shut the hell up and that I would buy what I wanted be it a pot of paint or a god damn book.

It's all well and good behaving like that if you know someone, I wouldn't think twice if it was someone I was friendly with and would take it as nothing but a joke but for someone who I don't even know to shout at me for no reason is just a little too much.

I'm 21 and some of the staff do treat you like you are the noobiest of noobs but in the end it's down to the individual member of staff. Some of them are really nice and some complete tools.

weltenspringer
22-12-2006, 13:10
My experience with Redshirts is always the same:
If you buy much, then you are a good customer who knows your name and treat you very kind.

If you dont buy much, you a just another guy in the Shop.

And sometimes i think some of them lost their view of reality. The "boss" in the shop is a SM and IG player. You can talk with him alot about fluff and history. But! Never! Never never never never say something against the emperor. He gets really mad if you doubt that the emperor is so awesome at the fluff quotes.
And other Players and Redshirts getting mad too, if you say something like "I dont care about the emperor"
Then they try to fun of you...."Your army is loosing anyway!" "You play eldar? Ha ha! Your race is dying"
If i would care....

Well....buy something, and you have many new friends.
Buy nothing, then you ´re not noticed.

just my 2 cents

Shadowseer Crofty
22-12-2006, 14:05
Farseer Ushanti-I'm a Full Timer at
1. 7yr old Kid comes into strore for the first ever time, with his mum, and wants to spend his £150 Xmas money in store, despite the fact he's a touch young for gaming. Rather than lick our lips and pile that stock high, any staffer worth his salt will talk to the parent and ensure this hobby is truly suitable, and may even recommend buying a simple paintset instead, to have a try out without spending too much.

thats similar to what a blueshirt at meadowhall was saying to me on wednesday when i was telling them about this thread. They also said a kid comes in with 150 quid, wanting to start either dwarfs or orcs and goblins, so wants to buy both battallions, the rulebook and both army books (so its a bit over £150, but thats not the point if he has a spare fiver). The staff instead direct him to Battle for Skull Pass, they get a smaller, easier to digest rulebook, about 70 quid of goblins (3 regiments, charachters, spider riders and a troll) a bit less worth of dwarfs, dice, and a few bits of scenery. the kid can then still buy both army books should he so wish, or build the armies, use them both with the BfSP rules, and choose which he prefers. so the kid has spent no more than 65 quid, got the beginnings of 2 armies, a rulebook, and the army books if he decided to still buy them both. any staffer wanting to make more sales would just let the kid carry on spending all his money.

Sleazy
22-12-2006, 15:09
Farseer Ushanti-I'm a Full Timer at Warhammer World- the single best GW store in the world, and I've just graduated from Leicester University with a 2:1 BA Hons degree after taking 12 GCSE's and 4 A Levels. Prey, tell me just how low my IQ is?Cheers
Nick

not too high I'd say if you're wasting all that work on being a redshirt;)
only kidding.

to be fair there is good and bad, however for every good member of staff who is a normal everyday guy there is a mouth breathing entusiastic bedroom commando and a power tripping manager.

ObiWayneKenobi
22-12-2006, 16:23
On my last trip to a GW store I was greeted by a redshirt wielding two tape measures screaming "I'm a lictor, rawr!!!".

That is hilarious :p I would have acted shocked out of my mind and start rambling about the guy being infected by Genestealers ("The tyranids are coming, run for your lives!")... that or shout "It's a tyranid, kill it!" and reach for a pen/brush/etc to stab him with.

Sadly where I am from there are no GW stores at all, and while I recently moved and I think there is one about 30 mins away I am unfamiliar with the area so I haven't gone to it, so I cannot contribute anything further to this discussion. The quoted comment, however, made me laugh. :)

FarseerUshanti
22-12-2006, 18:42
Being in the U.S. I'm not going to comment on other countries GW's although I have heard that Warhammer World is a good GW based store.

I should have said I was referring to US GW's becuase as a whole I have been to approximately 8 -10 different GW stores across America. In each and every single one of them I went in to play games as it was the local gaming night. While in th emiddle of playing, staffers came up to me and my opponent to try and sell us various items either from another system (other than 40k), or not even respective to the two armies we were playing. Even after being politley asked to allow us to finish our game. (I told him that neither of us were interested in purchasing items as we did not have many nor the inclination to make a purchase), he continued to attempt to make a sales.

As for starting a conversation with a customer, I know jsut how nervewracking that can be, but I make sure that i do not try to annoy those who do not wish to have a conversation, and merely browse for items.

Also I have no problem with a salesperson making actually conversation, but i do have a problem with a salesperson who starts talking, but is only trying to seel oyu something and is not actually discussing the hobby itself.

That said i do apologize to you personally for my comments and for your fellow colleagues in countries besides the U.S. I should have made my comments more clearer.

Sabbad
23-12-2006, 15:08
Redshirts are people. Just as there are good people and bad people, there are good redshirts and bad redshirts.

Saying "I had a bad experience with a redshirt so all redshirts must be bad" is like saying "I had a bad experience with a Jew once so bring on the Holocaust Mk 2!"

I can only offer my experiences on those staffers I've come into contact. For the record, I'm 16 years old, and have been playing for about 8 years. I play all the Core Games as well as 4 Specialist Games. I've written campaigns, I've had my name in White Dwarf and I've had 4 articles published in the Fanatic Online Magazine (GW's official Specialist Games ezine). I was the leader of the Council of Eldanesh in the Medusa V campaign. I am also a rubbish and reluctant painter.

At my local store there are three regular staffers, one of which is the manager. One of the staffers is a good painter and modeller, and has had his models in White Dwarf. He is always friendly and helpful, offering advice if I ask for it (even my Mum says he has been very friendly when she's bought stuff for me in the past!). He has a fair understanding of the rules and background, though it is inferior to mine. Should I use a rule he disagrees with, then he will get out the store's roolbook to have a look. If he is wrong (more often than not) he accepts his error graciously. He treats me according to my knowledge of the game rather than my age, and is generally a top bloke.

Another of the staffers is best described as "eccentric". He is excited about everything, and spend a lot of time belowing out movie quotes at the top of his voice. His enthusiasm is infectious, and makes playing battles better. He is particularly good at running participation games for beginners, his dramatic reconstructions more than making up for the fact that the gamers have no idea what is going on. However, he doesn't like to be contradicted. He finds it difficult to accept that a 16 year old kid might know the rules better than he does. He doesn't treat me like a child, but he doesn't treat me like an adult either. He treats me like a 16 year old, which is all well and good really.

The final regular staffer is the store's manager. The manager doesn't really seem to like anyone below the age of 20 much, and tries to put them down as often as possible. He is rude and inteferes with our games. He often stands vigil over our games, waiting for us to make a rules mistake so that he can pounce on us and prove his superiority. He is usually wrong. Though his knowledge of the rules is inferior to mine, he frequently takes the ground of "I'm a GW manager, I've been in the hobby longer than you, therefore I am right and you are wrong." He refuses to show me sections from the rules that might validate his opinion.

Other stories from other GW stores:

1. Whilst attending a Doubles Tournament at Warhammer World, a staffer asked my brother what army he was using. My brother responded that he was using Death Guard (ie. Nurgle Chaos Space Marines). The staffer then proceeded to tell us everything he knew about the Death Company (ie. the Blood Angels in black). We let him spout.

2. I came in to a store once, and struck up a conversation with a staffer about the upcoming new edition of WHFB. The staffer managed to provide me with loads of insider info about what would be in the new rulebook. Twas the best conversation I'd had about the hobby in a long while.

3. Back when we started Warhammer, my older brother had decided to start Wood Elves. My brother asked a staffer what good starting purchases would be. The staffer reccomended me bought Orien and Ariel, 2 models which cost a total of £50. My brother did as he was advised (he had no armies book or normal troops) and deeply regretted it later.

4. Way back in 5th edition I was playing a battle in store with my Brettonian Archers armed with longbows. When the staffer heard that I was using them as having longbows, he laughed in my face. He ridiculed me for thinking that Brettonian Archers has longbows rather than bows. He proceeded to announce to the whole store how stupid I was for making such a beginner mistake. I knew damn well that I was right and he was wrong, but at the time I was too upset to do anything about it. I was 9 years old at the time.

Where am I going with this? Nowhere really- other than to say that the experience people get with redshirts varies massively. To generalise negative connotations about them is wrong, but so is generalising positive connotations. Respect is earned, not given.

simonr1978
23-12-2006, 18:20
Saying "I had a bad experience with a redshirt so all redshirts must be bad" is like saying "I had a bad experience with a Jew once so bring on the Holocaust Mk 2!"

Not really, no-one here is advocating exterminating GW staff, even the most ardent anti-GWers on here haven't gone that far (That I've read anyway)...

Steel_Legion
23-12-2006, 19:39
I find my local redshirts to be a really good bunch of guys, i know them all relatively well through the hobby, they come to my local club each week, even last month they let us borrow thier CoD scenery as ours wasnt done on time, really good bunch of guys. Falkirk by the way

slaughteredbull
23-12-2006, 21:03
Recently, I've found the staff at the Norwich store to be patronising jerks who gather round you and stare at you like your gonna steal something and then when when your about to buy something they treat you like a little kid new to the game asking you if you've got this, that or the other.

This wouldn't bother me except for the fact that I've been using that store nigh on 16 years, run a club that members of that store came to my town to set up and been on 4 Games Day trips with them. With the closure of the only GW retailer in my town I'm starting to see the extra travel to Ipswich as a much smaller inconvieniece for next year.

Crazy Harborc
23-12-2006, 21:04
Well......St.Louis Mills has good redshirts....a good blackshirt too. The only time I have seen a "problem".....it was NOT the store employee who started it or caused it.

I'm a people watcher. I like to observe. The GW employees don't talk down to the kids. They don't ignore people who walk in from the mallwalk either. If one doesn't know the answer they say so, no bluffing it. In other words, the people at the Mills are adults and conduct themselves as such.

They won't force you to buy this or that......BUT they will try to find out what you are into, what just might ring your chimes. It is part of the job description.

thelightbringer
23-12-2006, 21:38
I find both ny local GW shops a pleasure to enter the staff are enthusiastic and helpful!! And at times, they have the patience of job!! Ive bought much more than I need but doesnt everyone! In fact my son and I are getting involved in the local campaign winter war!! I dont what some people want! GW for all its faults is probably one of the few indigenous manufacturers left in the UK!

simonr1978
23-12-2006, 23:05
For my part I've been in to Newcastle (Years, well in fact over a decade ago), but more recently Canterbury, Maidstone, Bluewater and Lakeside. Overall my impression has been positive, they've made me and my family feel welcome without feeling smothered. The notable exception has been one occasion in Maidstone buying some Dark Eldar a couple of years ago where we found ourselves inbetween the staff member salivating over how beautiful he thought the female Dark Eldar were and some bloke somewhere in his 50s browbeating an apparently terrified pre-teenage boy into accepting his interpretation of the rules and his dice rolls in a WHFB game.

Unfortunately with all the dozens of positive experiences, it is this kind of thing that really stand out, and despite the number of occasions I have been into GW stores this one really stands out in my mind.

I'd just like to reiterate, overall my experiences were good, but as with everything the bad tend to really stand out.

slaughteredbull
24-12-2006, 00:05
I remember when I started in the hobby, the manager of the Norwich GW was really cool and I loved going in there, unforunatley he lost faith in the company and quit (his words), since then the staff in there have been much more about the sell than anything else, they even prevent people playing (except Saturday) instore unless you've passed their 'training' course on Sundays, then they go and play the games making it up as they go along. Now theres just something not right about that, I've been playing for long enough why should I have to take a course on how to teach me to play the wrong.

the anti santa
24-12-2006, 10:10
Well I think I should stick up for the Redshirts here.

I've been going into GW shops for 18 years now and whenever I go to a new town or city I always try and visit its GW, so I've met quite a few staff members over the years.
I'm on good terms with staff at my current local GW and am able to have a nice chat with them about our mutual love of this hobby

I think the most important thing to remember is that it is their job, the pay is very low (around £5.50 an hour which isn't much more than the UK minimum wage). Even managers don't make much when compared to others in the retail sector.
So you are only going to get people who truly love the hobby applying, either for the discount, which I've been told isn't what it used to be, or just to make a living doing something they love.
You won't get skilled salesmen there as they can make much more money doing a job that will pay them commision.

If they don't make sales then they risk getting sacked, several stores have had big clearouts over the years. So the staff will be under pressure to sell the newest army/game/giant etc..

If you've ever been into a GW on Core gamers night or during one of the big battles you'll know how much patience you need to put up with hoardes of screaming kids. "Mister, mister are Space Machines good?"
Not to mention groups of chavs coming in to try and steal things or make fun of the saddos playing with the little metal soldiers.

Most of their sales will be to young kids or their parents, us vets will usually have a huge stock of old minis that we can use or will go to online shops or e-bay to get things cheaper. Some people seem to expect the staff to instantly recognise them as a grizzled vet, how are they to know whether you are some guy who wandered off the street or a huge fanboy unless they ask?

I've found that with every staff member i've met I've been polite and chatted to him about GW, he's soon realised I know what I'm talking about and we can have a good conversation about tactics, the upcoming relaeses or painting etc..

Now I'm sure there are exceptions, after all the redshirts are human beings (well some I'm not so sure about) so there will be the odd jerk, and considering this is a bit of a geeky hobby some of them won't have the best social skills.

But from reading some of the previous posts they have to put up with some pretty rude arrogant vets who want to out-geek them and think they scored points by knowing the rules better than the staff.

Of course this being the internet, it does attract the uber-geek and it's very easy to snipe at other people or whine and complain online, about 1 person they had a bad experience with and carry that over to all staff.

Most fellow gamers I meet are thouroughly good people, so I hope the redshirts out there don't start disliking us vets cos of a few bad customers.

Brandir
24-12-2006, 10:46
My job takes me around the country quite a bit. Generally I take the opportunity to go into local GWs and get the odd bit to paint. Generally I find that GW staff are polite and helpful. Yes, 99.9% approach me with the usual sales pitch when I enter the shop; but this is not a problem. It is always good to chat about the hobby for a few minutes.

The average IQ of staff members is probably much higher than the average of other retailers staff members. Many GW staff I have met either are studying for degrees or have one. Why stay at GW if you have a degree? Well, work-life balance is probably quite good for GW staff. And the graduate employment situation here in the UK is not that rosey.

There are the odd 'bad apples'. That jerk who worked in the Preston shop a few years ago for example. Great painter but one complete and utter arrogant ****. He was also a judge at the Manchester Conflict a few years ago - my fellow tournament entrants had a similar opinion of him within 2 seconds of meeting him! Or the manager of the Castle Court (Belfast) shop in the late 90's. Prat. Complete and utter prat.

But there are so many great staff members that one takes this for granted. The entire staff at Shrewsbury for example and especially the old manager Richard. Then there was the staff member at Carlisle lent me an army for an in-shop tournament. Brilliant guy.

The staff at a GW in some shoppping centre on Oxford Street in London. Popped in their en route to the airport. They glued together some minis for me, undercoated them and wrapped them in bubble-wrap while I was at a meeting so I could put them in my bag and paint them during a business trip overseas.

Other great staff members spring to mind. Noel, manager of GW Lisburn. Probably the best GW manager I have had the pleasure to meet. And his sidekicks Rob and 'Mini G' were absolutely superb.

And finally a bit of praise for the staff at the Arndale Centre in Manchester, the GW I most often frequent these days. My son is autistic and the staff treat him as an equal, with the patience to let him speak. This is in complete contrast to staff at 99.9% of other retail operations who have no time for him.

Well done GW staff. You are great.

slaughteredbull
24-12-2006, 18:50
How are they to know whether you are some guy who wandered off the street or a huge fanboy unless they ask?
Well considering the fact that I've been buying from there for 16 years, at least one of them current members of staff, who have been there for a good 3-5 years+, should recognise me now, after all these are the same people that I sat up front on the bus with a couple years ago when I went to Games Day.

But from reading some of the previous posts they have to put up with some pretty rude arrogant vets who want to out-geek them and think they scored points by knowing the rules better than the staff.
I'll have you know I'm actually the furthest thing from arrogant when I go in there, I try to get into conversations with them but they just keep trying to sell me things, and even when I looking at what to buy I dont appreciate being stared at like I'm gonna steal something any second. Despite this I'm still very respectful of the job they do cause I know its probably the worst job in retail. Oh and I never try to score points cause I know the rules better, I'm just saying whats the point a) Teaching newcomers the game wrong and b) Preventing people they should know to be Vets from playing in their store without taking a Begginners training course. Neither of which I find very helpful towards the hobby, especially as over the last year I've had to re-train anyone whos joined my club after being told about it by some staff member whos taught them the game completely wrong.

Of course this being the internet, it does attract the uber-geek and it's very easy to snipe at other people or whine and complain online, about 1 person they had a bad experience with and carry that over to all staff.
Just for the record the attitude of the manager a few months ago towards me and my girlfriend was so bad that I asked him for the Head Offices details so I could file a complaint about him, later that week I spoke to a rep in my local Toymaster about it and she told me that shes heard of similar complaints about the Norwich GW staff from store managers that shes spoken to.

I'm not compaining about all Redshirts in general, just the current batch that have been lumped in Norwich, I've never had any problems with other staffers that I've meet over years on my travels, what I'm disappointed in is the fact that about 10 years ago all the excellent staff members, ones that truly enjoyed working for GW despite the bad pay, quit because of disagreements with the GW was being run and now we've been left with what I can only call the worst bunch of salesmen/gamers that I've ever seen in the Norwich store.

I remember playing in campaigns and games that were enjoyable and not just the competitive mish-mash of whatever rules the staff want to use this week to beat the kids, also not great way to intrduce people to the game (beating them senseless cause they dont know what their doing).

Angelwing
24-12-2006, 21:59
Alot has been said already. gw staff are underpaid for what they do (running large saturday games, babysitting, cleaning the toilet and windows etc etc)
give them a break. 99.9% are great guys and good to talk to. they are not professional salemen, but hobbyists making money on the side for the most part. they are not mindreaders! they have to ask questions to know you are a vet/need help/ dont need help etc.
dont let a few bad apples spoil the barrel for you.
i used to be a red shirt ten years ago. believe me, it was ALOT worse then.
stores were under immense pressure to meet sales targets (money and core games) if a shop didnt meet its targets enough it was "virus bombed" ie all the staff were sacked and replaced! The store i worked in was not in a well to do area and had serious trouble making targets. it was known as the managers graveyard (we had 5 during my year and a half there) and one enforcer manager sent there to "clean the place up" left with a genuine nervous breakdown. the store itself closed down a couple of years ago.
if managment (store and area) took a dislike to you they would try any trick in the book to force you to leave/sack you. horror stories include bullying, framing, testing employment laws to the limit and other underhand and vile tricks.
all staff used to have to abide by the commissars ten commandments. these had to be learnt parrot fashion and repeated whenever asked for. these where all about what to do with customers, how they must be approched within a certain amount of time and talked to, what to say etc. any staff member who did not follow these rules would be disiplined.

i will not name the store i worked for, as my old area manager now works at gw head office, and i wouldnt like any possible retribution including legal action (I kid you not, however improbable).

just give the guys in red/blue/black a break ok? its hardly fightin' talk if you get over friendly guys is it?
happy gaming and a good holiday season!

simonr1978
25-12-2006, 09:39
Whilst I am generally sypathetic to anyone who works in retail having done so myself and as I have said already, my own experiences in GW stores have been with one exception entirely positive.

However, one thing that bugs me slightly used in defence of GW staff: "They're underpaid".

Sorry, but so what?

Everything I've read seems to indicate that GW these days is a hard company to get into even considering the poor pay. These guys chose to work there, they went through the selection processes and interviews and had to put quite some effort into getting the job. I can't believe a single one did so without knowing that if they got the job it would be relatively poorly paid.

I would not dream of knocking anyone's choice of employment, but don't expect any sympathy for deliberately chosing to go into a job you know to be underpaid.

You know the Terms and Conditions before you join, you should know the job description, what you'll be expected to do and what you'll get for it. You as a staffer chose to accept the job.

Please don't use poor pay or having to babysit 10 year olds as a defence for the few bad apples that inevitably slip through the recruitment process. If poor pay and working conditions are the reason for their poor behaviour, then they should quit and get a job with better pay or conditions or ideally both.

Angelwing
25-12-2006, 21:26
which i did do! i concede the pay point sir. my point was they are already hard pressed, so they dont need any more flak from people who have had an isolated bad experience.

DhaosAndy
25-12-2006, 22:31
Well personally I wouldn't roll over in bed for what GW retail pay a redshirt, so I don't think you can just discount it as a factor quite so easily. I think everyone has had a bad experience with a staffer somewhere along the line. But, that's true where ever and when ever you keep going somewhere. Eventually you'll turn up the bad apple, such is life;)

dblaz3r
26-12-2006, 01:41
The other day I went into my first gw store in vancouver and I found the staff to be very friendly and not overpowering at all, maybe its the fact that i`m 28 then again maybe not. Generally I find any store that you go into (be it a hobby store, skate shop, electronic shop whatever) has their mix of nice friendly staff that are comfortable to talk too and the seller type guy that just follows you round like a bad smell trying to peddle whatever they can. Either way I already know what i`m looking for, thats the reason i`m there in the first place, and cant be pressured into buying for buyings sake.
Stay true and resist the pressure

MrLiy
26-12-2006, 03:39
I really need to sit down and compile most of these posts...I'm getting the sneaky suspicion that all the complaints are coming from US stores, and UK ones are actually rather nice....

dblaz3r
26-12-2006, 08:23
its a culture thing

simonr1978
26-12-2006, 12:45
Well personally I wouldn't roll over in bed for what GW retail pay a redshirt, so I don't think you can just discount it as a factor quite so easily. I think everyone has had a bad experience with a staffer somewhere along the line. But, that's true where ever and when ever you keep going somewhere. Eventually you'll turn up the bad apple, such is life;)

Neither would I, but on the other hand that's why I wouldn't even consider working for them. I do not think pay is a factor at all, in the bad experiences people have had would those individuals have behaved any differently if they were on say, an extra £1 an hour? I doubt for any of them it would much difference.

I will agree with you that eventually you'll get a "bad apple", or even someone who's just having a bad day, that's just one of those things, but if the reason for this is poor pay then I've got no sympathy at all. You know the pay and job description before you accept the job, if you don't like it, don't take the job.

If you've taken the job anyway, don't expect to be cut slack simply because you're getting less than the staff who work in most other high street outlets. Nobody forced you to apply or accept the job, it was your decision.

DhaosAndy
26-12-2006, 21:24
@ simonr1978: We'll have to agree to differ then because in my opinion they pay peanuts, most of their staff are not monkeys, this is what shocks me.

MrLiy
26-12-2006, 22:37
dblaz3r: It could just be a corporate culture thing...

Angelwing
27-12-2006, 03:27
i thought the cliche was that american retail service is better, that its much more of a focus for companies. Is it just a myth to "have a nice day"?
it seemed very good when i was last there 6 years ago.

Zzarchov
27-12-2006, 03:44
Because they pay peanuts they will not get the best salespeople.

They will get people who love the hobby.

The difference being, a good salesperson could hate the hobby. But sell you a bunch of stuff and make you feel good about the experience.

A hobbyist who is trying to sell you things will at best be a nice guy to take your money if and when you decide you want anything, and at worst an annoying jackass who pesters you and makes you want another store.

simonr1978
27-12-2006, 09:37
@ simonr1978: We'll have to agree to differ then because in my opinion they pay peanuts, most of their staff are not monkeys, this is what shocks me.

To be honest, I think we've got our wires crossed slightly, I agree with you more than you seem to realise.

We'll have to agree to differ then because in my opinion they pay peanuts

Agreed entirely, GW Retail pay is notoriously bad and much less than I could afford to live on.

most of their staff are not monkeys

Agreed entirely. However:

I wouldn't roll over in bed for what GW retail pay a redshirt, so I don't think you can just discount it as a factor quite so easily

Disagree. Whilst the vast majority of GW retail staff are definitely in the "Good Apple" category, for those who tiny minority that aren't the fact that they aren't paid terribly well is no excuse for their behaviour or attitudes. Would they behave differently if they were paid more? Probably not. So is pay a factor? No, I don't think so.

That aside, OK then, agree to disagree. :)

Angelwing
27-12-2006, 15:06
moving away from money, is perhaps the problem that all gw retail are trained to talk to customers (acknowledge when they enter the store, ask they want they want etc), its just that they aren't trained very well or simply dont take it on board?
How big a percentage of staff are students who just want to earn some beer money and get cheap models? Learning customer service skills wont be high up thier priorities. I hold my hand up, I was one of those. I had real problems with the service training back then, as it seemed a form of harassment to me! I dont like being asked if i want help in any store, so it felt wrong for me to do it to others.

kyussinchains
30-12-2006, 18:22
I dont blame the staff directly, it's obviously changing policy within the wider company which is to blame for the apparent paradigm shift in staff attitudes.

The manager at my local store has been at my particular GW for years, back in the day he was a typical hobbyist type person, you could talk to him for hours about all kinds of things, even a gripe about the slump in quality of WD, or the fact that gary morley simply cannot sculpt a good miniature.

now as far as he's concerned, GW can do no wrong, every miniature is fantastic, and we should all spend our meagre earnings on everything!

I stopped going in there much because of 2 things, my wife gets bored, and I now buy most of my stuff online. I go in there on occasion to check out new models and whatnot, and it's a weird thing, I went in there a few weeks back and one guy got his pre-ordered empire army box out and showed me all the new models, he stopped me grabbing at the empire book, but other than that, he chatted for ages about everything.

Roll forward a few weeks and he does his usual thing, I think "oh it's that guy who actually gives a crap" and mention about what I want to add to my army, I see his eyes glaze over almost immediately.

The manager is even worse, he's awful, he tries to sell you any old thing, he tried to sell me some 40k thing or other, and when I told him that neither I, nor any of my friends play 40k, he just carries on! there's selling, and there's selling, and he was really annoying me at that stage.

The thing is, I earn my own money and can choose what to spend it on, but I felt pressured to buy something I had no interest in. What must the kids who get £5 per week pocket money feel like?

I understand it's not the staff, it's the company, and I understand they're doing it because their profit margins are slipping. The sad fact is that unless they stop this force-feeding attitude of the staff and return to the days of GW stores being actual 'hobby stores' those profits will continue to decline as more and more people turn to ebay and online retailers to purchase their stuff, it's not worth going to a GW store any more as it's no different from any other place.

Angelwing
31-12-2006, 03:01
maybe its still the same as my time. sell stuff or get told off (and further- written warnings, sackings....)

scarletsquig
31-12-2006, 04:00
I'm not compaining about all Redshirts in general, just the current batch that have been lumped in Norwich, I've never had any problems with other staffers that I've meet over years on my travels, what I'm disappointed in is the fact that about 10 years ago all the excellent staff members, ones that truly enjoyed working for GW despite the bad pay, quit because of disagreements with the GW was being run and now we've been left with what I can only call the worst bunch of salesmen/gamers that I've ever seen in the Norwich store.

*shrugs* They seem just fine to me, although I haven't been gaming much lately (hobby on hold during uni). Stu and the twins are awesome.
I never had to go through any beginner's training program or anything before playing veterans nights - perhaps they're a bit crowded at the moment so are having to enforce it? That store isn't very big.

I'm having trouble seeing your problem with the staff at all... they were always really welcoming and stuff, despite the fact that I almost never bought any models direct from them. What is specifically wrong with the individuals working there?

I'm just a bit confused as to how someone could get so pissed off at them, especially when they're creating a source of new members for your club... sure they're enthusiastic and bugger about with games/rules sometimes, but they're only having fun... and as long as the bloody big mob of kids is happy, that's all that matters :)

They must be doing something right if the kids going to the GW store are growing up and seeking out/joining your club. It's fair enough if you don't like their personalities, but it seems like you're coming at them from a "I've been here longer than you lot" attitude that might not rub well with them. I'm making assumptions I know, but give it some thought, and maybe turn up to the beginners thing if only for the sake of being a teacher rather than a student ;) . The staff there aren't so bad once you get past the sales pitching, and it's not really good for your club if if it's just specifically you that has a problem with them.

Brandir
31-12-2006, 12:02
....I never had to go through any beginner's training program or anything before playing veterans nights - perhaps they're a bit crowded at the moment so are having to enforce it? That store isn't very big. ....

I did hear about a new manager who required people to go through a beginners course in order to qualify as a veteran and hence go to vet nights. So, being very cynical about crap I read on the net I actually rang up the shop saying I had just moved into the area and wanted details of their vet nights. The manager happily stated I would need to attend a beginners course. When I asked if he was serious, as I had been in the hobby a long time, he said yes!

TCUTTER
31-12-2006, 14:15
recently went into leeds, a much better experiance i must say, the manager was in, he said hello, and the staff were very helpful as i picked up the 4th ed rulebook(my second i like to keep things neat) course bless them they thought is was a newbie not a cold bitter sarcastic vet but still i was impressed... i left my wallet by acciedent and one of them ran out to give it back, nice guys

Angelwing
31-12-2006, 17:41
a beginner course? that cant be true right? can anyone tell me what it consists of? i might ring up and ask myself! which store was this?

Brandir
31-12-2006, 18:01
From: http://uk.games-workshop.com/shopping/hobbycentres/

BEGINNERS PROGRAMME
We run hobby skills courses to teach people how to start and improve their painting, gaming and collecting. We have limited places so ask the staff to book you in. Available for ages 12 to 16.

Gaebriel
31-12-2006, 18:38
BEGINNERS PROGRAMME
We run hobby skills courses to teach people how to start and improve their painting, gaming and collecting. We have limited places so ask the staff to book you in. Available for ages 12 to 16.
This would technically mean everyone older than 16 is off the hook?

Angelwing
31-12-2006, 18:40
oh those. the previous poster sounded like you had to complete a course just to get into veterens night. i believed the only qualification required for a uk store vets night was being 16 or older.

Brandir
31-12-2006, 18:45
Not as far as that fool of a manger was concerned! He insisted that one had to complete a beginners course to go to vets nights. It was only a few weeks before GW ended vet nights; perhaps the manager was trying to discourage attendence at these nights so the ending of them would be easier?

Aegius
31-12-2006, 18:51
This must just be a freak thing, because in my store, the beginners programme is not there to teach you anything. In fact I emphasise this whenever I sign someone up to it. The emphasis is on how fun the hobby can be. I will admit, when I'm running these days, I do make rules up. The kids playing the games know no different and it all adds to the fun. This is meant to be a fun hobby and I want people to see that.

Angelwing
31-12-2006, 19:27
see, red/blue/black shirts are friendly!

scarletsquig
01-01-2007, 15:59
I guess for older members the beginners thing is more of a case of getting to know the person, having some fun, and making sure you're not someone that's gonna be horrible to everyone or spill coke over people's armies or something?

It's not something I'd have a problem with doing, especially since I'd end up spending most of the beginner's day chatting to the staff about complicated stuff like how they made the display boards, what specialist games the veterans like to play, and advice on how to convert a spinneret rifle :P

It's not like I'd suddenly become a newbie for the sake of the beginner course, and I wouldn't mind spending a few hours on a sunday giving basic army building and painting advice to new players. A bit of Noblesse Oblige every now and then doesn't hurt anyone :)

I can see how people would consider it beneath them, or completely pointless though - especially if they've been playing veteran's nights for years in one GW store, move house, then have to go through some beginner program just for the sake of it. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be a big deal or worth getting pissed off about.

heretics bane
01-01-2007, 17:51
i have really friendly redshirts, beginners sessions are kinda there to get you started and to get to know the staff. in my local gw redshirts dont talk down to me beacuse im bigger or the same size as them and im 14!

floyd pinkerton
01-01-2007, 19:10
At our local store it's very good. All the staff are friendly and know how to have a good joke, and TBH they dont really try to push sales, although that might just be because I'm a regular and I know what I want to buy, I don't have to be pushed to it.

If any of you guys ever go to GW hull, ask if you can buy some Dumplos.

Crazy Harborc
02-01-2007, 01:32
Maybe I am immune OR maybe, the local GW staff has learned to tread softly when it comes to trying heavy pressure sales tactics. Or perhaps it just does not occur when I am around.

IMHO, at GW, just as at many retail stores, there are employees who "chose" to use pressure on younger players. Do they receive any company bonus based on their own sales records?/

nightgash
02-01-2007, 01:40
I would like to share my experience with my fellow members of a Hobby Centre I went to yesterday. I will not name the store or the staff member but the one thing comes to mind is outrageous.

Before I tell you all what happened, I haven't been to this store in months. I liked to visit this store as it was the closest Hobby Centre to me and I liked to talk to fellow hobbyists about W40K and watch the battles that were being played. I have bought many hundreds of dollars worth of miniatures from this store also. It takes me quite a while to get there as I live towards the country and frequent the store rarely because of this.

I decided to go yesterday as I was possibly interested in buying some blisters and the new Eldar Codex. I also wanted to go because it was gaming night and I was looking forward to watch a game being played. I was welcomed by the store manager and another staff member and they were great. In fact they have always welcomed me and answered any of my questions and I have nothing but praise for them. We laughed and joked about the 40K universe and talked about my armies. I had a look around at the minis and ummed and aarrred on what to get.

During the time I was there (around 30-45mins) I decided to sit down on a stool and admire some nice painted minis. A staff member at the painting table (not the two nice staffers) told me coldly to leave the table as soon as I sat down. I had not talked to him so far as I was talking to the other nice staff. I thought it a joke and pretended to get up with a laugh and sit back down (there were around 5 spare seats the majority not taken). He then told me to move again so I got up and went to watch the start of a battle.

I watched the battle happily guiding the younger players on some of the rules as they didn't know them (Tau won by the way and toasted an Ultramarines Librarian with a fusion blaster to win the game). By this time the two nice staff had finished their shift and left the one staff in the store that told me to move.

This left the grumpy staffer who came over after the battle and asked what we were all doing. I said I should be getting going as I had had my fun and asked jokingly why he didn’t let me sit down before. He said coldly that the store was a hobby centre and the fact that I didn’t bring any miniatures to paint meant I couldn’t sit down. He then went onto say that I shouldn’t be coming to the store to hang around if I didn’t have any hobby stuff to do and that I might as well leave. I told him I had been watching the battle but he just went on and on talking down to me like I was a child. I felt intimidated and was made to feel really unwelcome. I was stunned at what this person was saying when I was only there for 30-45mins and helped out with the battle. The players actually thanked me for clearing up some rules for them.

I didn’t say anything but just walked out of the store absolutely shocked at what this guy had said. This after I have spent hundreds of dollars there and haven’t been there for months, and him telling me its not a hang out spot?

So I ask my fellow wargamers did I do anything wrong? Does your Hobby Centre tell you to leave because you didn’t bring any miniatures to play with or paint but to possibly buy some minis and watch a battle?

I mean bloody hell he didn’t go off and talk down to the guy that was playing on the table I was watching with a store army. He didn’t bring any models in either. This guy was singling me out and made me feel really bad in front of everyone there when I didn’t do anything wrong.

I have a large Dark Eldar army, large Ork army, large IG army, large Chaos army and a small Deamon Hunters army, not to mention nearly the complete range of Black Library 40K novels and background books (yes I have around 70 books at last count). How can he make out I’m just coming for a hang out spot and not genuine reasons like I have described. I left with such a bad taste in my mouth that I thought about selling all my GW stuff on ebay and being done with it.

Angelwing
02-01-2007, 02:29
hmm. sounds a bit out of order to me. you're a paying customer are you not?
sitting down: at my local store you can sit and chat at the table, but you must move if someone wants to paint, which is perfectly fair and right.
at my old store, people where encouraged by staff to leave if they were not doing anything(playing/buying) during the week as a group of people standing about chatting could put customers off from coming in the store, a valid point.

i think you were treated with a literal (RAW?!) interpretation of GW retail policy and the staffer was not using his judgement well. he may have simply had a bad day, but that is no excuse. Dont take it personal, and dont feel forced out of the hobby by this chap.
oh, and you can keep the ashes (mutter, grumble) :-)

wraith[cs]
02-01-2007, 05:05
...insert stuff here about a long yet good post....

I can tell you right now that if what that dude did to you happened in my store he would be getting a nasty ass-kicking and probably lose his job. The whole point is to hobby and have fun, and some dickfaces seem to have lost sight of that. Personally, in my training so far (every week!) its been emphasised to basically do the opposite of what that guy did to you.

Man, that sucks. But don't let the actions of just that one guy bring you down. Talk to your store manager next time you see him and let him know what happened.

Agamemnon2
02-01-2007, 07:55
It's not a strange phenomenon, happened to me a while back (me and some other people were discussing why so many WH figs have so damn many skull decorations). We'd been at it a while, too. I shrugged, bought a box of plastic ogres, and continued my round of christmas shopping (I stopped at GW because I knew they wouldn't be playing insipid muzak).

On a grand scheme of things, such things are not really worth being bothered about, they're right up there with the "You want fries with that?" type of questions you get at McD.

snurl
03-01-2007, 11:45
There's a store, not an official GW, but a rouge trader Called The Adventurers Guild, in Harrisburg PA. I never go there anymore because the clerk there behaved in the same way as described in many of these posts. Absolutely obnoxious describes it best, He first asked if i needed help, and I replied no, just browsing. He absolutly talked to me like I was some kid who never saw any of the games or figures before. He would not leave me alone or stop talking, in my face, even when i was obviously trying to look through some blisters for a few particular figures. After about 10 minutes I told him "I dont need any help thanks" but he went on and on. I finally found the figures I was after, paid and left and didn't go back. This was their loss because I like to look thru all of the different manufacturers figures and usually buy a few of everything when I am on a (rare) shopping trip.

Are clerks who behave this way completly inept? Have they no social skills?

TCUTTER
03-01-2007, 12:18
theres rude people everywhere, fact of the matter is, make said confrontations loud, if im there, ill be up and fighting your corner straight away, i know most of us would, we made this hobby its there damn fault if they dont notice we have spent so much in the stores.

The game is afoot
04-01-2007, 08:39
Bear in mind that redshirts, or in the UK now, Blue shirts have to meet a quota of Intro Games and core sales targets each month.
Falling below that can mean possible Disciplinary actions, I've seen it happen many times.
Those guys are under pressure to perform to a certain level.
Secondly, they are young, GW does not pay enough to get experienced retail staff so instead they are inundated with these young adults who don't have well developed people skills yet.
Naturally they are going to be overly exuberant or perhaps they appear over confident or condescending but it only stems from the fact that their continued opportunity to eat and pay their rent relies on their attempts to get a customer to purchase something or play an Intro game.
They also must at the very least be seen to be willing to do their job, especially now that the company is under the financial Kosh following the many price rises of the last few years and the serious profit loss and then the mass redundancies.
There is no room for slacking because the buck does get passed down to the lowest common denominator, the full timer Blue shirt.
Many of them are introverted or shy and facing Joe Public is a daunting prospect for them at a tender age. It takes time to develop that skill.
Consequently you can get some aberrant impressions from them.
I don't get any trouble from them but then again my GW is customerless most of the time and they are happy to see a customer rather than frighten him away with an over zealous approach.
I haven't bought any GW products from a store for 18 months but they appreciate having some one in the shop even if it's just for coffee and a chat about other systems like magic the gathering and Armies of Arcana.

Agamemnon2
04-01-2007, 10:30
...the company is under the financial Kosh...

GW being run by Vorlons is the most sensible theory for their business practices I've ever heard.

Arch-Traitor Horus
04-01-2007, 10:54
Ahhhh, again Games Workshop New Zealand/Australia proves it's superiority. I can only really speak for the Auckland stores but our redshirts are very friendly and are polite to regulars and newbies/casual customers alike.

i would have to agree at GW eastland the staff would be the best they'd say hi ask what army you play how many points all the regular stuff then if you say im just looking or any thing they will stop trying to sell you stuff ;)

wraith[cs]
05-01-2007, 04:13
Okay, so I've just read through the entire thread (to make sure there were no bad mentions of my store!), and was going to make points to several people, but I've forgotten who they were. Sorry.

Anyway, I work as a blue/redshirt at my local store. No, I'm not saying which. I haven't been working there long, but I try my best not to badger potential customers unnecessarily. Yes, we're meant to take money and sell things. But our primary objective is to make sure that people get the most out of their hobby. I'll usually give people a few moments before approaching them to see if they're okay, so that I can judge by nvc/body language whether they actually want any help. If it's families walking in, or I'm not sure, I'll go and ask. I'm always polite, and usually if they say "no, just browsing" or that they know what they want I usually say "okay, if you need anything just gimme a shout". And yes, sometimes people buying less is the best thing for the hobby. We've stopped people buying several boxes of goblins and the rulebook when they could get BFSP for a lot less. But then we've had people come in, buy BFSP, the Orc batallion, army book and several boxes of goblins. It's different strokes for different folks, and I try not to push sales on people, instead mentioning all the different options so they're at least aware of them. And then at the till "Is there anything else you need?" or some variation, just to make sure before I start scanning. The only thing we really push is events that generally cost nothing, like painting competitions, academy days, beginners sundays etc.

We're good to the vets and core gamers too. They come in, we have a chat (whilst making sure everyone else in the store is okay), and the atmosphere is pretty pleasant. I don't know that many of the vets, mostly the core gamers due to the days I work, but it doesn't mean I'm condescending to people who aren't indentifiably regulars. The regs are pretty lucky, too. We got the ruin of arnor in today and one of the regs who was in got to have a look at the new plastic rangers (which I must get...) and the new troll guy whose name I forget how to spell at 2:45am.

The only problem with the job I have is that in my position, I hear about very little in advance; in fact we get most of our rumours and hearsay from Warseer. The most plausible of which duly gets passed around. The number of marine players I have been telling about the new Termie librarian... well. Oh, and we've dissuaded a few people from buying things like the old DA codex, thanks to knowing the new one is on its way. The benefit is, I get to preorder stuff, so I'll have the new army in about... 3 weeks, I think.

I think I'm rambling now. Sorry. Long day, lack of sleep, and the possibly misguided urge to defend the company I work for somewhat.

Just remember, we're not all bad!

I Couldnt have said it better. Perfectly reflects my stores atmosphere. Kudos.

purplehoob
05-01-2007, 08:56
Reading this a similar thing happened to me early last year. I nearly gave up 40k for good. Then I decided that I would not let some drone ruin it for me.

Although I have noticed a recent trend in stores for interfering in games. You set up and decide to play an opponent. Then a staffer stops by and examines your models and your list to check if it's ok.

People we are not children we can write a legal army list and I don't need a blue shirt telling me that I need to fix up my custumised vypers so that they conform to all the rest of the vypers in the world

Also I have no problem with painting all my models before I play in fact I have never played with an unpainted model. But some people do and still get away with it.

I find shops have their clique of players who the staff like and nurture, if you don't fit in then you are subject to their whims. I always remember that the shop is there to make money, nothing else.

A hobby means that everyone should be different not ultramarine clones, but back to topic I think friendlyness depends on the managers attitude. Like everyone they have good days and bad days.

So do I, sometimes I go in and have a great time sometimes I don't.....

Railgunner
05-01-2007, 09:51
When i was still living in the UK (over a year ago) i found the Bournemouth and Salisbury stores very good. The staff always made me feel welcome there (although i was starting to become a bit of a regular at Bournemouth) and you didn't get jumped on as soon as you went into the store.

But then i had some pretty bad experiences at another store in the south (which i won't mention) where non-regulars seemed to be regarded as outsiders, they wouldn't even talk to me! I seemed to just be ignored.

Railgunner

CasaHouse
05-01-2007, 10:53
Finally found a topic worth making a profile for.

I am a gamer of a little over 7 years in the Detroit area... not as long as many of you... but I'm only 19. Last summer i got a job as a redshirt at my store... it lasted about 6 months. I am sick of hearing people complain about ALL redshirts. They don't ALL just want your money. They aren't ALL condescending and arrogant. In the seven years I've spent as a regular at my store, I've seen probably 30 employees come and go.(not counting myself) I can only remember three or four guys who have fit this awful profile that apparently ALL redshirts share. Now, my math skills aren't what they used to be, I'm a philosophy major after all... but 1/10 doesn't really feel like "all" of them.

When I was working for GW, I had a few problems. You see, when people said "I'm just looking", I took their word for it and backed off. This was a serious no-no, and I was reprimanded for not talking to them. I thought it was politeness, but I was informed that it was bad salesmanship. Despite this , I'm glad of the experience. If I went back and had to decide whether to do it again, I would. Okay, story time!

My first day as a redshirt, basically the doorway greeting monkey, I was just getting the hang of making casual conversation with whatever random people walked into the store. (way out of my comfort zone) So I try to strike up a conversation with a guy wandering around the store, y'know... build up a rapport, maybe make a friend. This guy was one of those "Despite the fact that I never come here, I've played every army since before forever, I have no intent of buying anything, and nothing you can say or do will EVER be worth my time" types. Needless to say, by the end of our very short conversation I felt so bad about just standing next to this man and breathing his air that I contemplated quitting. It was completely uncalled for. I'm seeing this attitude in some of the people in this thread. If one staff member knows you, don't think you're so important that every new employee is briefed on every ******* army you play.

Based on the rate at which we're making assumptions in this thread, I could say that ALL veteran gamers just want to make redshirts feel like horrible people for initiating friendly conversation. I mean, if you don't want to socialize, stay at home... you can just hobby there and never have to interact with any beings inferior to yourselves.

The point I'm trying to make is, in my short career with Games Workshop, I gained a huge respect for the people who work there and the things they have to do. I'm still awed by how well some of them do their jobs.

Aurellis
05-01-2007, 11:07
One thing I don't get is, why, when people are dissatisfied with their service to the extent they were talked down upon etc. Do they NOT complain to the GW store manager or ring up GW?
Its easy to just walk away and think 'screw them' but its your hobby, you dont want some fanatical red shirt to ruin it for you. you've not gone to mcdonalds to buy a burger, youve gone to do something you enjoy doing and have invested in heavily.

Just my two pennies on the matter

Some guy (UK)
05-01-2007, 11:36
I agree with a lot of the opinons that have been shared- e.g. some staff are very fustrating and annoying, whilst others are infact very nice, most are in for the love of the hobby rather than the money etc etc.
That's all well and dandy, except for one big thing. The smell: not usually of the actually store, but, that of the staff. I don't expect them to be dressed perfectly, have the latest styles or fashions.
However, is it truly too much to ask for them to put some sort of deodorant spray/aftershave/etc on? I find it very off putting and vulgre when one guy in particular parades around the store, sometimes leaning against the wall, lifting his arm up revealing the huge sweat patch, and the smell hidden in the depths (this actually happened to a good friend of mine once, when as I was looking, a staff member pounced, cornering my friend exposing him to that which no one wants to take in, asking all the usual questions. To this day, he stays very close to me for his own safety :p ).

Sleazy
05-01-2007, 11:46
Finally found a topic worth making a profile for.

I am a gamer of a little over 7 years in the Detroit area... not as long as many of you... but I'm only 19. Last summer i got a job as a redshirt at my store... it lasted about 6 months. I am sick of hearing people complain about ALL redshirts. They don't ALL just want your money. They aren't ALL condescending and arrogant. In the seven years I've spent as a regular at my store, I've seen probably 30 employees come and go.(not counting myself) I can only remember three or four guys who have fit this awful profile that apparently ALL redshirts share. Now, my math skills aren't what they used to be, I'm a philosophy major after all... but 1/10 doesn't really feel like "all" of them.

When I was working for GW, I had a few problems. You see, when people said "I'm just looking", I took their word for it and backed off. This was a serious no-no, and I was reprimanded for not talking to them. I thought it was politeness, but I was informed that it was bad salesmanship. Despite this , I'm glad of the experience. If I went back and had to decide whether to do it again, I would. Okay, story time!

My first day as a redshirt, basically the doorway greeting monkey, I was just getting the hang of making casual conversation with whatever random people walked into the store. (way out of my comfort zone) So I try to strike up a conversation with a guy wandering around the store, y'know... build up a rapport, maybe make a friend. This guy was one of those "Despite the fact that I never come here, I've played every army since before forever, I have no intent of buying anything, and nothing you can say or do will EVER be worth my time" types. Needless to say, by the end of our very short conversation I felt so bad about just standing next to this man and breathing his air that I contemplated quitting. It was completely uncalled for. I'm seeing this attitude in some of the people in this thread. If one staff member knows you, don't think you're so important that every new employee is briefed on every ******* army you play.

Based on the rate at which we're making assumptions in this thread, I could say that ALL veteran gamers just want to make redshirts feel like horrible people for initiating friendly conversation. I mean, if you don't want to socialize, stay at home... you can just hobby there and never have to interact with any beings inferior to yourselves.

The point I'm trying to make is, in my short career with Games Workshop, I gained a huge respect for the people who work there and the things they have to do. I'm still awed by how well some of them do their jobs.

dont be so silly, no one has ever said ALL staffers are anything, there are good and bad just like anywhere else. the debate was more about the ridiculous way they are trained to interact or power hungry managers.

That reminds me, I now work with an ex redshirt who says his manager has them all salute him with the sign of the aguila when he entered the shop and the got a telling off if they didnt.

There was never anything like that in my time, I would have refused outright!

simonr1978
06-01-2007, 01:29
Sorry mate but that's just part and parcel of working with the general public, sometimes people will be greatful, sometimes indifferent, sometimes outright hostile. You name it, pretty much anywhere you can work there'll be someone who is convinced that you should know instinctively what they want. They've shopped there for decades/years/weeks*, so you should know instantly what they need (Despite the fact it's only your second day and they've quite possibly been shopping there longer than you've been alive)... :rolleyes:

Been there, done it. It's not unique to GW retail, it happens in every newagents, stationers, bookshop, -insert-type-of-retail-business-here- going, there are members of the general public who will instinctively treat you like something they've trodden in just because they can. There are also people who are just having a bad day, are after 5 minutes escape from the missus, whatever, they're not necessarily being intentionally rude, just for a few minutes they were in a blissfull world of their own and you went and burst that bubble. Yes, they'll seem a little short when they tell you they don't want any help, thanks.

As for Smell, well I've never encountered it in a GW store from the staff myself to be honest. I have noticed it from the customers on occasion, but what do you expect when you go into a place where a large proportion of the customers are in the lower teens? It's like complaining about the smell of booze in a pub... ...and it's not like the staff can exactly grab individuals and say "Look, next time you come in try a little Lynx first, OK?"

* Delete as appropriate.

Angelwing
06-01-2007, 03:00
the smell thing. when i was a redshirt, you HAD to maintain good personal hygiene. it was a requirement of the job.
as for smelly customers, nothing we could do until they left, and then run about with air freshener, although the then manager did once start spraying the stuff right behind a very pungent chap.

Allianos
06-01-2007, 19:13
Seems I'm blessed with having some pretty nice guys at my local GW. Always in for a chat and have given me great advice on many things. They're never pushy with new products and are honest when it comes to giving advice on what to buy.
Must be that healthy Dutch cynicism :)

FatOlaf
06-01-2007, 19:18
Some of us were/are jerks, to be fair. Let's face it, the redshirts are all gamers at heart. Social skills are not too common on the gamer skill set. :)

This is the type of employee I meet far too often, this is also the type of wargamer I have met far too often over the last 20 years.
They look and talk like the comic book store guy from the simpsons and talk down to you in that smug 'I know it all' condescending way that drives you insane.
The worst tends to be the mgrs who is then surrounded by his 15-18 year old workers, they have to be that age because no one else could survive on those wages. This gives you the beautiful combination of said comic store guy in charge with his workers acting like robots following the script etc and not having the life skills that come with age, to know when to shut up and who or who not to talk to.
This is a problem big time in Retail in general, not being able to hire older people because of the poor pay in retail but GW do make this ten times worse with their scripted customer service, if I want ******* glue or WD I will ask you DAMM it!

I have run stores now for over 12 years in various fields and have often got into trouble with Head Office because I refuse to follow such procedures, I'll say hello and leave it at that, If you want me I'm at the counter, I'll help you all you want and wont push you into buying anything. If the product you wanna buy is crap and you ask me my opinion, I'll tell you the truth. This builds up trust and store loyalty and has served me well over the years, with my store(s) always doing well with-in the relevant company.

I think the one thing I would like to say to some of the Redshirts who have posted on this thread, Is that I dont think we are blaming you, you have to do it, that's what GW H/O wants! It's down to the store managers how far this awful attitude to customers is implemented. And I probably think some of the arsey Vets you have encountered could be the same people as me who dread going into the GW so much that they will do or say anyhting to get rid of staff member. Of course they could just be annoying 30 year old wargamers (see above). It really is a double edged sword that wont go away till GW really sorts itself out and changes its ways.

Kjell
06-01-2007, 20:42
It seems like GW Gothenburg has been blessed with extraordinary staff. I mean, the most they'll do when you barge in is greet you, ask you if you need any help with anything and maybe ask which product/aspect you're into. That's all, really.

Needless to say I don't have a lot of issues with the fellows working there.

Tyron
12-01-2007, 01:17
I think you guys are right.

I have been going to GW for over 10 years (hafl my life time). And I rememebr when they first braught out the new marines at games day for ?10 each! And its almost doubled the price for the same content.

I used to spend loads of mony there but as I grew older I spent money on other things (such as my computer) and when I got my internet I stopped going there for a very long time because it became too expensive and WoW came into the equation.

I went to this years games day (what a crap event, everything sold out within an hour, it was a joke) and had a go on warhammer online. Now apart from the people there not speaking little, if any English couldnt answer my questions. Also the main guy on the computer was a bit of an elitest picking and choosing which questions to ask. Anyway I had a go on it and to be fair it will not save the company in anyway. Compared to WoW it is a lost cause, they had no damage displays, tool bar wasnt working or anything (and they told me they have been working on it for over a year???). DoW is the only way forward for games workshop in the gaming scene.

As someone mentioned abotu the shp should be the focal point of the hobby making people want to get involved and play (buy) more in my local store this fails. The staff dont know much about the fluff apart from reading a few GW books so having a conversation with them is futile, however the manager knows a fair bit of fluff and proclaimes the Tau to be good guys??? The staff arent vry nice to the regulars or the kids who come in, seeing the kids as a cash to be squeezed and the regulars as anoying who dont buy anything (which isnt true) we just buy from elsewhere for cheaper and they know this.

They dont like warseer that much because we tend to know more then them (for obvious reasons) and I was inquiring about some of the Dark Angels rules/releases and he turns round to me and said "You don’t spend enough for me to tell you all this and you wont buy it anyway". After 10 years of going there this is how they react.

If GW continue to act in this manner (business>hobby) then they will go down under as customers will seek greener pastures. They see the kids as cash but realistically kids can't afford these prices without their parents. And it’s the regulars and gaming clubs that keep this hobby alive.

GW have fallen from grace and it’s a sad state, they’re not what I first came into and fallen in love with many years ago, with the old regulars leaving the hobby many years ago, so few fill our places.

-Used this for another thread but this topic seems more appropriate for the thread-

blahblahblah
12-01-2007, 04:09
I used to be a redshirt many a year ago now, it's kinda fun reading all this stuff everyone has to say about them (reminds me of the good and notso good old days ). I remember being trained by our regional manager to be like a shark smelling blood as the customer entered the store, my first day with him was a bit of a nightmare, as I saw myself quitting or being fired by the end of the week. Fortunately my store manager was more like me. Having worked in other businesses I knew to ask as few questions as I need to get the info needed to help as much as possible when needed, and to remember as much as possible obout each customer to minimize repitition in the future.

our store was more laid back in appearance and mature in approach ( all the staff at the time were 21-25). OUr regional manager was always riding our manager about it even though we hit the vast majority of our targets and did very well in evaluations like the secret shoppers head office would hire and send in to check if staff pushed all the right stuff to customers. our team wasn't about the sales, but the rapport with customers and if done well it brought the sales and loyalty you should hope for running a store.

things went downhill when my staff all left the company for one reason or another over the span of 6 months. veterans replaced with young kids or older staff who were there for the discount and left after a month or two.
it was funnywhen I returned after living in asia for a year and saw no familiar faces in my old shop. as soon as I set foot in the shop a young guy in a red shirt jumped up from the paint table and made a beeline for me asking if i'd seen this stuff before? I said yes and yes when he asked if I played the game. Then he offered to run me a demo game of warhammer (which i've played for 15 years now) I chuckled because I guess he missed that I said I actually played and jumped right to the next part of the script my area manager would have taught him his first day. I said I'd give it a shot.

We spent the next twenty minutes playing, and I'd ask him about working at GW. He was new, only 2 weeks in and really enjoyed it. he was learning a lot and loved the hobby (but not his regional manager who was always on his case when he came in).

I know it's been a bit of a rant but the bottom line is this. it's the higher-ups that make the frontline redshirts pushy so if you don't like it, take it up with the head office. Tell them you don't like this approach and that they should change it, but try not to take it out on the poor kid who's just trying to do his job(which is quite possibly his first). being cold or rude to him won't change gw policy. Remember that he's working there because he loves the hobby just like the rest of us, and even if he's power-tripping a bit, it's just because it's all new to him. As more experienced players we should be able to find more subtle ways to let them know they're not the only one who could know the game well. Hell we could go one further and get to know them and have them get to know us and maybe with more exposure to experienced gamers instead of just shutting them down as soon as they say hi maybe we could help them mellow out a bit more, showing them how we want them to be instead of just ranting about it here on warseer.

Matt Stone
15-01-2007, 04:52
I've been to the store in Baltimore as well as the one in Seattle (not really in Seattle proper, mind, but a distant suburb) and at the Auburn "Super Mall."

The Baltimore store disappointed me greatly... I was there for a conference, and managed to find the place after several hours of looking. I took local train, taxi, and managed to hoof it over 5 miles to finally locate this tiny little store hidden away in a large industrial warehouse area. When I walked in, huffing and puffing, no more than 10 minutes before they closed, the best they could manage after hearing my story was "well, hurry up and look because we close in 5 minutes." They were setting up for what appeared to be a staff gaming session (it was either a Friday or Saturday), and could have indulged me for a few minutes longer than that.

The Auburn store was appalling... Nasty, zit-faced redshirts, none of them appearing to be more than 16 years old, poor hygeine and even poorer customer service skills. I made nearly an hour drive from south Tacoma to visit and quite literally turned around after casting a brief glance around the store (I was that turned off by their approach).

The Seattle store... Hmmm... Hard to be objective on this one. I've been there before, and if I continue playing/buying GW products (right now I'm debating my continued participation in GW's price gouging), I'll go again. However, though I realized that the redshirts were just doing their job, when they're condescending after I tell them I've been playing nearly as long as they've been alive :wtf: (started in 1988), I'm none too inclined to be in a hurry to return. Very little do they offer that I can't get from a far closer independent store or from an online store... They should think about that when they train these jerks. :rolleyes:

GideonRavenor
15-01-2007, 11:44
My local store (Reading) has very good staff. There was one grumpy blueshirst (redshirt) who left a while ago and the staff can be over eager to help newcomers, but apart from that it's fine.

Angelwing
15-01-2007, 15:54
agree with blahblahblah most heartily. this is my situation!

Aegius
17-01-2007, 15:14
I'm with blahblahblah too. You can't fault someone for doing the job they're paid to do. You have to take it up with the people above them.

shas'o sodit
17-01-2007, 16:35
When I lived in Sheffield, I found most of the staff there to be very friendly, and very knowledgeable. There was once incident where a staffer swore at a 10 year old, which I thought was a bit mean, but apart from that, their a great set of lads (especially that bald guy in meadowhall).

lol, i believe i know that incident, it was about a LOTR questionnaire, kid asked him a question and said "i don't f**kin' know!' about a week later another staffer confronted him about it, he didn't know he said that!

at the moment i find GW Sheffield Central (i don't care about GW legal, its my opinion) staff are for the most part arses, or at least towards me, Meadowhall are great people, if not a little weird!

still, as a customer i can exercise my right to shop where i want, and now i do it at LGS

thelightbringer
17-01-2007, 23:38
I just want to say that the staff of GW Windsor, Berkshire are some of the nicest people Ive ever come across in any sphere of my life! They dont give it the hard sell, they are into the hobby and thier enthusiasm is infectious!!nice one boys!! and **** the begrudgers!!

cybertrophic
18-01-2007, 02:57
Okay, so I've just read through the entire thread (to make sure there were no bad mentions of my store!), and was going to make points to several people, but I've forgotten who they were. Sorry.

Anyway, I work as a blue/redshirt at my local store. No, I'm not saying which. I haven't been working there long, but I try my best not to badger potential customers unnecessarily. Yes, we're meant to take money and sell things. But our primary objective is to make sure that people get the most out of their hobby. I'll usually give people a few moments before approaching them to see if they're okay, so that I can judge by nvc/body language whether they actually want any help. If it's families walking in, or I'm not sure, I'll go and ask. I'm always polite, and usually if they say "no, just browsing" or that they know what they want I usually say "okay, if you need anything just gimme a shout". And yes, sometimes people buying less is the best thing for the hobby. We've stopped people buying several boxes of goblins and the rulebook when they could get BFSP for a lot less. But then we've had people come in, buy BFSP, the Orc batallion, army book and several boxes of goblins. It's different strokes for different folks, and I try not to push sales on people, instead mentioning all the different options so they're at least aware of them. And then at the till "Is there anything else you need?" or some variation, just to make sure before I start scanning. The only thing we really push is events that generally cost nothing, like painting competitions, academy days, beginners sundays etc.

We're good to the vets and core gamers too. They come in, we have a chat (whilst making sure everyone else in the store is okay), and the atmosphere is pretty pleasant. I don't know that many of the vets, mostly the core gamers due to the days I work, but it doesn't mean I'm condescending to people who aren't indentifiably regulars. The regs are pretty lucky, too. We got the ruin of arnor in today and one of the regs who was in got to have a look at the new plastic rangers (which I must get...) and the new troll guy whose name I forget how to spell at 2:45am.

The only problem with the job I have is that in my position, I hear about very little in advance; in fact we get most of our rumours and hearsay from Warseer. The most plausible of which duly gets passed around. The number of marine players I have been telling about the new Termie librarian... well. Oh, and we've dissuaded a few people from buying things like the old DA codex, thanks to knowing the new one is on its way. The benefit is, I get to preorder stuff, so I'll have the new army in about... 3 weeks, I think.

I think I'm rambling now. Sorry. Long day, lack of sleep, and the possibly misguided urge to defend the company I work for somewhat.

Just remember, we're not all bad!

I have been doing the 40k thing since ohhh, 1989-ish, with my fantasy army involvement starting in '96. Once GW stores came to be in every area, I used to go into GW Croydon religiously - I never had a bad experience in there. A few bad odours, yes, but that could have been other customers who seemed determined to live their lives as a sterotype. I went to Uni in Leeds and that store was just amazing - friendly, good fun, always willing to chat and even offered to display my Space Wolves for me (I bought and painted an entire Great Company in one semester), as I was struggling to house it - eventually I decided not to, purely because I had lined them up all over every flat surface in my rented room and it made it feel homely.

I mention this because, after a four year lay-off, I took up WFB and 40k again recently. My local independent store is run by a pompous ass who used to work in a book shop and thinks that being able to badly-drybrush a Sisters of Battle army makes him a superior being. This guy once told me to go and order stuff from the internet, as he couldn't be bothered to order it for me unless I placed a minimum order of £200. Nice.

As you can imagine, that, combined with comments about the hobby going into somewhat of a nose-dive of late on forums like this one, made me question my decision. However, on visiting GW Northampton with my girlfriend (my missus lives just south of there), we were greeted by friendly staff who, having asked if we wanted any help, left us in peace until asked a question. At that point, the senior guy there chatted with us for ten minutes, joked about the guys at the Milton Keynes store (evidently it's the size of a cupboard and they are all weird) and discussed the pros and cons of starting a Dark Elf army with my girlfriend, who has shown an interest in WFB and was ogling the Hydra. I picked up a copy of the new rulebook, wasn't askedif I want White Dwarf or Glue and was invited to come in any time to try out a game with my missus (well, for her to try it out and me to watch/play against her). It's nice to know that you can, if you look around, still find GW stores with the same friendly vibe as they had ten years ago or more. Just wanted to share that - I know that the CEO is a pillock and that it filters down the chain to pressurise the red/blueshirts, but they don't all turn into numpties.

Muncher666
18-01-2007, 03:42
Is it just me, or is the downfall of Redshirts immediately parallel to the fact that they no longer have the traditional Games Night anymore?

Back when I was a tyke (by the way, the fact that people get pissed at lots of kids seem to be at stores really gets to me - I started as an 11 year old so I have respect for kids who want to get in the hobby) they used to run Games Night on Friday nights. The basic idea behind this was they used the armies they had in the store window to run games to attract people to the stores and get them to go home with miniatures. You could bring your own minis if you liked, but it was optional. This was (as an ex-redshirt myself I know) the best part of working there, in my opinion.

However, when they stopped running Games Night in the traditional sense, I feel that a lot of the life fell out of GW. And hence the dudes who worked there started seeming even more introverted and closed than usual. There are still some gems, but there are also an awful lot of Longs out there. (oooh, bitchy reference for you Melbourne GW frequenters!). I miss the days where you would be assaulted (in a positive way) and they sent the redshirts out into the mall area like fishing rods. Good times.

I've often dreamt of owning my own hobby shop that was run a little more like GW used to be run, with the Games Nights and the like. I honestly thought they were extremely positive for the hobby and business.

What's it like in England/US in this regard?

Allan.

TCUTTER
18-01-2007, 15:32
in all honesty, the hate aimed at kids is because, and i whole heartedly belive this, my generation(im 18, sorry if that breaking a rule) is the last generation to respect anyone, kids today at even 12 tell you to f off and act like spoiled brats, its the parents and the damn governments fault really this nicely nicely approach isnt working, and so for that alone i think that the staff need a pat on the back and well done, but, just as the kid problem has higher roots so does the "would you like a white dwarf/ paint/glue/ new plastic giant" problem, the management needs a huge shake up

cybertrophic
18-01-2007, 16:34
in all honesty, the hate aimed at kids is because, and i whole heartedly belive this, my generation(im 18, sorry if that breaking a rule) is the last generation to respect anyone, kids today at even 12 tell you to f off and act like spoiled brats, its the parents and the damn governments fault really this nicely nicely approach isnt working, and so for that alone i think that the staff need a pat on the back and well done, but, just as the kid problem has higher roots so does the "would you like a white dwarf/ paint/glue/ new plastic giant" problem, the management needs a huge shake up

In general, kids are only ever looking for some authority - it is hard to rebel if no-one cares what you do, after all. On the odd occasion a 13 year old has tried to stare me down or insult me to show off to his mates, it's amazing how quickly they revert to "yes sir, sorry sir" when you steam over and pin him against the wall. Admittedly, this may have something to do with the fact I am six foot one and an ex-Rugby Player...possibly not so effective if you are five foot six and built like knotted string. lol

I agree that working in an environment where you are dealing with spoiled kids that think they can bad mouth whoever they like is less than ideal, so I applaud those stores I have been to that treat both older and younger gamers with respect and make the place fun to be in. As I said before, GW Croydon and GW Northampton are both good in that respect (or were when I last was in them a month or so back in one case and two months in the other). My first job was as Technical Support on a helpdesk and the overwhelming urge was to scream "you are too stupid to own a PC, please take it back and get a refund so you don't ever call again! Also, don't breed - the gene pool doesn't need contaminating!", however, you weren't allowed to. The same is probably the case in the GW stores. Obviously, you wouldn't want to hear the descriptions of some customers given in the back-room, but that is their privilege.

Angelwing
19-01-2007, 15:00
discussing customers in the back room- that brings back a few memories!

Arhalien
19-01-2007, 15:48
Admittedly, this may have something to do with the fact I am six foot one and an ex-Rugby Player...possibly not so effective if you are five foot six and built like knotted string. lol

What if you're six foot six and built of overboiled spaghetti? I;m not a redshirt but it;s incredible how annoying those in the years below you can be at school... :evilgrin:

CommisarMolotov
19-01-2007, 16:22
I've often dreamt of owning my own hobby shop that was run a little more like GW used to be run, with the Games Nights and the like. I honestly thought they were extremely positive for the hobby and business.

What's it like in England/US in this regard?

Allan.

I live in Greenville, SC - my closest GW store is in Northern Virginia, so as you can imagine the local GW gaming circuit is based around comic book stores and gaming stores (which often are one and the same.)

We're fortunate to have a long-term shop with lots of gaming space called "Borderlands." The owner, Stan, moved from his location across the street when he had an opportunity to get a bigger shop - it's an impressive size (I've seen urban grocery stores that were smaller!), and boasts about ten good-sized gaming tables. The only "official" game night is Thursday night, but there are usually pick-up games going on every day and night of the week (except Sunday - he's a dad, and insists on having one day with his family.)

It's a great setting - no dumb rules about which models have to be used, or how they have to be painted. The owner runs a few campaigns and organized events, but he lets the gamers do most of their own planning and organization. Right now the most popular games are the Clix games and Warmachine, with a sizeable Flames of War contingent as well. The GW gamers also show up regularly, but the age seems to have gotten younger - I think a lot of the old "Grognards" have gotten sick of the GW company line and have fanned out into other systems.

I'm very happy with my local venue - I only wish I had more time to go and play!

Muncher666
19-01-2007, 16:54
From a business point of view though, I don't understand why they don't USE the blessed painted armies in the window. Granted, their number has greatly dwindled since the day of yore, but they are still there begging to be played with. It's a great injustice to have them just sit there. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD? It's better for everyone involved.

Allan.

MrLiy
20-01-2007, 00:22
Phew I'm amazed how this thread just refuses to die!! I guess I hit a nerve with this one.

To Allan:

Here in the US finding GW products can actually be quite a challenge. For a time I had to drive four hours to get to my nearest Independant retailer. This guy only carried white dwarf, marine models, and a little fantasy. To think 4 hours for a White Dwarf...then again the magazine was much better back then. In all of Texas that I recall the only true GW stores are Houston and Dallas. Both are horribly far from me, and I can barely stand one of the two. Must be nice to have all the options people in England have, even in a college town here in the US its still hard to find decent opponent since the game is not as big as it is in England.

Crazy Harborc
20-01-2007, 01:43
One of the drawbacks of the size of the USA, is how spread out/apart wargamers can be and often are. Two to four hours to get there is a bit more than most (at least I HOPE so). It CAN make us try harder to get along with ALL the known (to us) opponents:D

To the younger gamers reading this.....to help build a goodly number of opponents, make each new one a friend too.;)

Imp of High Noon
20-01-2007, 07:45
I don't get talked down to, I'm one of those people who comunicates Ire/Mirth/disaproval with my eyebrows. Only new and enthused staff members
who don't know what to expect try to "sell" me things, I half think it's a right of passage. It generally goes along the lines of...
Him: "so what was your first model?"
Me: "It was a blister of four wizards, costing me two pounds fifty"
Him: ..... "Have you seen the new Harlequin models? they're awesome!"
Me: "*sigh* I remember when you could give the High Avatar D6 Jokero Digi weapons per hand, he was a psyker too..."
Him........

edit* And white dwarf is a load of crap these days too, I want no part of it.

teh_soldier
20-01-2007, 21:29
From a business point of view though, I don't understand why they don't USE the blessed painted armies in the window. Granted, their number has greatly dwindled since the day of yore, but they are still there begging to be played with. It's a great injustice to have them just sit there. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD? It's better for everyone involved.

Allan.

At my GW store, the cases are full of the staffer's armies, and since the staffers often play at Vet's Nights, their armies come out against us Vets.

Karnage
14-04-2007, 00:02
I've only been back in my local GW store (Swansea) a few times over the last couple of weeks, but I can safely say that I've not had any bad experiences with the staff there at all.

All of them have been very helpful in assisting me in getting back into the hobby, and were also keen to ask how things were going with things that I'd bought, including following up a problem I'd had with a missing sprue of parts in a Cadian Battleforce set I'd bought.

In fact, I'm looking forward to when my uni committments loosen up a bit and I can start attending the gaming nights there, as it seems like a decent crowd there.

blongbling
14-04-2007, 10:25
alwasy a tough topic in my opinion this one...we all have different expectations when we go to a GW store...veterans want a conversation about all the things that they remeber making GW great back when they started and dont want people selling new products to them......new gamers want more support and need to be guided more so that they in turn stay in the hobby long enough to have the same problem the vets have now.

GW wants its staff to talk to everyone about the new products that are coming out and mention WD and events, etc.

expectations and reality are often very different in every type of store you go into but if you can put yourself into the shoes of the guys in teh stores and not deride them, bait them or dismiss them then ou will find that they will develop too.

im not defending redshirts or GW but just basic human feelings on this one...if you are speaking to someone who wants to show he knows more than you about something in a snotty way how you would react.....i never wave in someones face that i have been in the hobby for over twenty years, why? because everyone has to start somewhere

richred_uk
14-04-2007, 11:38
Has anyone read "Why We Buy" by Paco Underhill? Really good accessible book on the psychology of shopping - why shops do certain things, why consumers do certain things, and how shops can change to overcome different consumers' blocks to spending money there and then.

One of the great chapters is the difference between male and female shoppers, essentially that women like to talk through a purchase and ask questions and be very "touchy-feely" while men don't like to admit ignorance and would rather research on the web/ catalogues etc and then just walk in and buy stuff. This is why for men shopping means buying stuff and for women it means browsing, trying on clothes, putting them back, trying them on etcetc. He reckons both genders spend the same amount of time deciding what to buy, but do it in different places and different ways.

Now to drag it back to point, it seems that GW has a very "female" approach which jars with lots of their male customers, because we don't want people to talk to us about what we are thinking of buying, we want to "own" the decision, make the purchase and then talk gaming rather than sales. The one point that GW have right is the add-on sales, because male shoppers don't like to not have extra gubbins and have their spending ability challenged, so when something is plonked in front of us and we don't have an immediate reason not to buy (have it already, don't want it) we blokes tend to buy it to show we can. It's hard to strike the right balance between the mindsets of your customers, but getting right is very valuable.

Art Is Resistance
14-04-2007, 14:16
I have to say, that Gw are like any other business - some staff are great (WHW) and some I would gladly not bother with (you know who you are out there...)

The Guys in WHW are bloody good chaps - once they know your face n nmae, they are happy to let you browsw without the whole 'so what are you here for' schpeel - you have to remember that red/blueshirts AREN't on commision - so it really doesnt matter if you buy loads or not - and these guys acknowledge that.

Since WHW became my 'local' I have found that going to a GW has become fun again - you can have a laugh, here some rumours and learn bits n bobs without feeling patrionised.

We all bang on about how evil GW are - but let's not forget, these guys are there to make a living, and are, at the end of it, gmaers just like you or I....

kaimarion
14-04-2007, 16:11
you can fell sorry for some staff were the hobby has become more like a job rather than fun.

Crazy Harborc
15-04-2007, 21:34
Try to keep it in mind that the hobby is wargaming. GW is a business. The people who run GW may be wargamers.....but, their jobs are the business side of GW. Besides...how is a hobby a profit making enterprise?? GW's muckie mucks can call GW a hobby....it's still a business.

RavenMorpheus
15-04-2007, 21:44

Now I do admit I am not there enough to be a regular, so I dont expect those guys to know that I have played for a while. Yet at the same time I dont like for those guys to assume I know nothing. I mean I didnt think much of it, until my girlfriend today pointed out that they were outright condescending, and almost trying to prove that they and only they know the product. I understand all the 5-16 year olds probably idolize them for being the GW red-shirt guys. I've had guys try to brag about their "insider information" ironically this was stuff I knew from warseer weeks earlier.

I went in today to ask if they had seen anyone convert their guardians into Dire Avengers, and if they had seen any cool ideas. (As some may know I now do not know what to do with all my guardians). Instead of answering my question the kid, I swear he looked 19 rolled his eyes and said "why would you do that when plastic avengers are soo much cheaper."

Everytime I go to a GW store, I am reminded why I shop online, and go to Rogue trader stores. At least at a rogue trader I dont have to deal with people who seem to be more concerned with proving their supposed superiority in GW gaming, and modeling. At alot of the Rogue trader stores I have played in the owner is usually just another of the guys who is involved in playing himself and trying to have fun, or a savvy business owner who wants to sell products and is more concerned with getting you what you need than proving to you that he read the latest codex and knows more about it than you. I worked as a commissioned sales counselor before getting a profesional job, and I learned that theres a difference between informing a customer, and thinking that your customers are ****** in need of being educated by yourself.

Anybody been through a similar experience, am I over reacting? Being to harsh on GW redshirts? Maybe just going to the wrong store? I'm not trying to be conceited myself, but I just dont feel comfortable there.

Short answer - yes.

Not only do they talk down to you and treat you like a newbie, but you can't walk into a store start browsing and then buy stuff. Or that may just be me, as soon as I walk into a GW store I get "accosted" by the overly helpful red-shirts asking me if I need any help, and that's before I've even had a chance to walk any further than the door way.

Crazy Harborc
15-04-2007, 22:05
Self confidence......more of it, can help.;)

When you feel you are being talked down to.......Be polite, put a slight smile on your mouth and a slight glare in your eyes (practice with a mirror). In a quiet voice, (no anger but business like) tell the black/red shirt how you feel. YOU are the paying customer.

Yes, I know it IS much more difficult for kids, teens....for not "exactly full adults". It's a bummer......it's part of growing up learning how to earn respect. AND being able to speak up to help you get the respect.;)

james1225
15-04-2007, 22:57
I went into local GW for first time in 7 years and the manager spoke down to me, but i left leaving him looking like a total fool, and its all thanks to the master paint brush set (my mum is a specialist brush maker so i know the ins and out of brushes lol)

me-how much is this

manager-£75

me-for 5 kolinsky sable brushes, they are only £2 each

manager-and you get the box and cup

me-so the rest is worth £65 !

He didnt even know what their standard brushes were made of hahaha

Eumenes
16-04-2007, 07:59
God damn! Some of you people are just as hateful as the staffer's that you talk about.

For my experience, well every shop I've been to in Ontario, 6 of them, including HQ, has awesome members. People just hang out here, and I think the only time staff ever tries to push new lines or purchases are to mothers who followed in their kids.

blongbling
16-04-2007, 09:43

and im sure he doesnt know the mix of alloys used to make the models from, or the paint formulas, or the printing processes involved in bringing him the latest army book...what difference does that make....the only person who ends up looking stupid is you as now the staff will be thinking you are the idiot.

Prince By-Tor
16-04-2007, 09:49
I live in the North East of England. The GW staff at MetroCentre get on my wick. As soon as me and my son walk through the door they pounce on you like a spider after a fly. "Well Hellooooooo" "What do you collect" - in fact anything to get you talking. We now have a littele bet to see ow many seconds we can spend in the store without getting nabbed. The record is 5 seconds. The best is 42. Wish that they would leave us alone. It's so bad in that particular store that my son always suggests trying hobby world first. No hassle there.

james1225
16-04-2007, 13:59
blong its pretty different between knowing the models metal mixes and what the only brushes you sell are made of, so im not quite sure how that makes me look stupid. when im not a manager whos supposed to know what im selling.

Angelwing
16-04-2007, 14:30
I live in the North East of England. The GW staff at MetroCentre get on my wick. As soon as me and my son walk through the door they pounce on you like a spider after a fly. "Well Hellooooooo" "What do you collect" - in fact anything to get you talking. We now have a littele bet to see ow many seconds we can spend in the store without getting nabbed. The record is 5 seconds. The best is 42. Wish that they would leave us alone. It's so bad in that particular store that my son always suggests trying hobby world first. No hassle there.

staff are supposed to acknowledge you as soon as possible. If they ask any questions reply that you are just looking. They in turn will say if you need any help just ask. That should be it. Good luck!

blongbling
16-04-2007, 15:16
blong its pretty different between knowing the models metal mixes and what the only brushes you sell are made of, so im not quite sure how that makes me look stupid. when im not a manager whos supposed to know what im selling.

he is selling a hobby, not a specific product......your average and by average i mean everyone whose mother isnt in the paint brush industry doesnt know jack about it either. what i am trying to saw is that you can go into any store and it is accepted that they wont know 99% of teh details there are to know about teh products they are selling.

and there is no difference at all between knowing what make of brush something is and the sable used to expecting him to understand the alloys used in teh modesl, same principle jsut a dfferent product.......

Adept
16-04-2007, 15:35
I went into local GW for first time in 7 years and the manager spoke down to me, but i left leaving him looking like a total fool, and its all thanks to the master paint brush set (my mum is a specialist brush maker so i know the ins and out of brushes lol)

me-how much is this

manager-£75

me-for 5 kolinsky sable brushes, they are only £2 each

manager-and you get the box and cup

me-so the rest is worth £65 !

So you went into the store, knowing the price of the brushes, and the price they would be in a craft store, with the deliberate intent of making the manager look foolish?

Wow, you sound really cool.

james1225
16-04-2007, 15:56
No I didnt, I only did this after he spoke down to me like I was a 5yr old.

Osbad
16-04-2007, 16:09
I look at it as the price to be paid for browsing the stuff on display. I like seeing the new stuff they have painted up every so often, but have no intent of ever purchasing anything there beyond the odd pot of "emergency" paint, so I put up with the occasional "pestering" as the price of using the store in this way. Some of the older guys in the Newcastle & Metro Centre stores know me and we have sensible conversations about the stuff we are both interested in - such as chatting about how they constructed some of the terrain boards and such. Some of the newer guys haven't realised yet that I'm a "lost cause" as far as hard sell is concerned, but that's OK (although the odd inexperienced guy can be a tad boring as he yammers on about the joys of [insert latest release here]), as I'm on "their turf" so their rules apply, and he's just trying to do his job as best he knows how! It is after all a shop, and not just a museum after all is said and done.

The whole "tigger-like" attitude of being pounced on by the red/blue-shirts used to irritate me more, but now in the past, but as I say, now I've just grown to accept it as the price of browsing. After all, if I'm not in the mood to be harassed, I just don't go in the shop in the first place.

Crazy Harborc
17-04-2007, 02:46
It's good to be old (63). It's good to seek out eye contact. It's good to be known. The stores employees DO do their jobs. They say hi and ask if I've seen the new whatever?

A few weeks ago, I met the newest employee. He didn't "push" after finding out I am one of the store's regular old farts...who play the games.

I'm due to wander in later this week.:evilgrin:

Pious Hearts
17-04-2007, 11:52
Best way to answer the problem - buy loads of old metal models on ebay, strip them and re paint them in a well painted army scheme. then take the army along to the store and show them off. Soon as somebody says - those look good - reply loudly, 'Yes, Got it all cheap on ebay!" Ho ho, provides amusement every time!

Prince By-Tor
17-04-2007, 14:45
staff are supposed to acknowledge you as soon as possible. If they ask any questions reply that you are just looking. They in turn will say if you need any help just ask. That should be it. Good luck!

Thats fine - but my son is 10 years old. It's quite hard for him be assertive without seemingly being rude. I've no problem with being acknowledged - in fact it's welcome. But this goes beyond that. We feel like we are being "pounced upon".

Angelwing
17-04-2007, 15:17
Thats fine - but my son is 10 years old. It's quite hard for him be assertive without seemingly being rude. I've no problem with being acknowledged - in fact it's welcome. But this goes beyond that. We feel like we are being "pounced upon".

Ah yes, point agreed. I guess that I just expect it and know how to deal with it with a smile, and made an assumption.:angel:

Stingray_tm
17-04-2007, 15:33
I am very happy to have an independent store with a manager, who actually discourages (!!!) people to buy something if he thinks the product sucks for one or another reason! Usually he is the one complaining the most about the White Dwarf (especially Battle Reports), even in front of customers who are buying this WD. I have enormous respect for his attitude and even if it sometimes takes weeks to get something ordered, i will continue to support this shop :)

noysh
17-04-2007, 16:34
I am very happy to have an independent store with a manager, who actually discourages (!!!) people to buy something if he thinks the product sucks for one or another reason! Usually he is the one complaining the most about the White Dwarf (especially Battle Reports), even in front of customers who are buying this WD. I have enormous respect for his attitude and even if it sometimes takes weeks to get something ordered, i will continue to support this shop :)

You know what irritates me? LGS employees that tell you your game sucks.

"I don't know why you waste your money on White Dwarf, given how much it sucks these days."

"All GW wants is your money. They really don't make good games anymore."

"You know, you could be playing Warmachine or Confrontation. Both of them are better games."

These are lines fed to me as I'm coughing up the dough for product that I obviously see value in, since it's my money on the line. So what are you trying to say about me, bud?

I'm more than happy to go straight to the GW store for my warhammer product.

eengaming
17-04-2007, 17:56
One thing I think we should consider is any bad experience (ie. trauma, albeit emotional) is going to resonate with us more than the positive ones. As I read these I was preparing to reitierate an experience I had at the Baltimore GW store. It was horrible. I had my wife and non-gamer friends with me, and I said "Hey can we duck in here a minute I haven't been in a GW store in some time (I live in Pittsburgh and I shop at the absolute best hobby shop in the world Phantom of the Attic!). Anyway my experience reads like many already on here. They try to hard sell the hell out of me despite my age, and my polite replies of, "I have experience with the game and I will know what I want when I see it." Well they also annoy my wife and friends to the point where they leave, and I with a feeling of utter disappointment leave. :mad:

I was going to leave this post merely at that, but after pondering the topic (and more importantly Drummerboy's post) for awhlile I feel that is completely unfair. When I first got into the hobby (bought a copy of RT at a comic shop around the age of 13-14) I had no idea what the miniature gaming hobby was, but their was a GW shop on south street in Philly and my parents would drop me off (once a week or so) there during the summer while my mom went to work. Those were the days. I would paint or play all day, and the staff were great. I didn't make huge purchases, usually 1-2 blisters. Those red shirts taught me the basics of painting, modeling, and playing and they did it fundamentally for free. If that isn't good customer service I don't know what is. They created a bond between the hobby and myself that continues to this day, but one bad experience was the first thing that came to mind despite hundreds of good ones, just human nature I guess.

One last thing. I recently was in Philly and went to the Franklin Mills GW. I had screwed myself up in preparation for the inevitable staff confrontation. IT NEVER HAPPENED. I walked in. The staff said "Hi." I said "Hi." He asked what I played, I said, "Oh only LotR currently." He said, "Cool, what group." I said, "Evil, orks and spiders currently." That was it. No hard sell. He went back to giving a paint lesson to some young kids. I asked later about the foundation paints and we talked about them briefly. All around a good experience.:D

Dakkagor
17-04-2007, 18:05
I've had very few bad experiences with GW staff. The ones at Canterbury, Maidstone and Bluewater are top. Maidstone definetly gets top marks for customer service. (I think they like me because I bought a mordheim boxset from them)

Muncher666
18-04-2007, 16:32
The whole "tigger-like" attitude of being pounced on by the red/blue-shirts used to irritate me more, but now in the past, but as I say, now I've just grown to accept it as the price of browsing. After all, if I'm not in the mood to be harassed, I just don't go in the shop in the first place.

I miss that. I miss the enthusiasm I used to feel when you walked into a Games Workshop store. These days I'll walk into a store and barely be noticed, even by the people who work there that are friends. Bring back the tigger! The staffers used to harass people walking by too - I'm told after all the harassment they got nearly 10 players (this was within a year, most amusing) and 13 restraining orders!

Allan.

EvilGenius1
02-05-2007, 17:03
[QUOTE=Haarken;1152721]On my last trip to a GW store I was greeted by a redshirt wielding two tape measures screaming "I'm a lictor, rawr!!!". Now whilst this might have been cool if I had been say ten years of age it was a little disturbing at the age of 23. QUOTE]

That is actually really really funny lol

Jon_Irenicus
02-05-2007, 17:17
/me repeatedly stabs this thread in the back, hangs it, and locks the triple iron door, and crosses irons, throws in some garlic and hopes it stays down*.

*though like a bad horror movie, I'm pretty sure it´ll return, and even worst than before ;)

N0-1_H3r3
02-05-2007, 18:52
Never, ever had any problems with any of the staff at my local GW, in my 15 years of going to that store. Indeed, I'm close friends with several current and former staff (I lived with two GW staff until about a year ago, didn't regret a single moment of it).

floyd pinkerton
02-05-2007, 20:21
The only times I've had a problem with staff was when i ventured away from GW Hull. I got "tiggered" in York; Ignored entirely in Plaza/Oxford St.; but in Covent Garden the guys are cool