PDA

View Full Version : Can't base, won't base

Brotherdraagor
17-12-2006, 23:49
Just another post about my thoughts on a random topic in the 40k game. I didn't put this in the hooby and painting forum because I'm not asking for advice or opinion on my work, just discussion.

Having finally started putting the Tau Empire release box set to use, I started thinking about the conversions that I was going to include, how I was going to implement the colour scheme, names, etc. Then I suddenly remembered the bases, and how my Space Marines were penalised for not being based at the last tourny.

Now this isn't a rule query or anything like that, just thoughts. It strikes me as being slightly unfair that players are expected to base their models or recieve less points. Now before I get called a lazy get, I'm going to make it clear that I take alot of time to paint my models (or did when I had spare time), and make a decentish job of it as well though I say so myself. I just think that basing can just as easily ruin the look of a model as it can enhance it.

For example, in the codecies and rule book, I see pictures of the 'Eavy Metal models fighting in tundra with a desert base, or an urban battle with snow covered bases. To me this doesn't improve the model, and only serves to break the illusion which good painting conveys. Sure if the models are on a table with matching terrain it looks awesome, I'm not denying that, but when it comes to playing in a tourny with several board types, the plain black base looks decent as an all rounder.

Of course the opposite can be argued, that the plain black base looks naff no matter what terrain it's on, and that's fair enough. However the second reason I don't like to base is a combination of time and lack of ability. I don't have time to perfect my basing technique, which isn't so good to start with. My snow base looks similar to a wedding cake, my jungle like a tissue's contents, and destroys a perfectly good colour scheme. If people saw my army with my bases, chances are the painting composition would be seriously penalised, that's how bad I am. So I leave it, and lose marks anyway.

Is this fair? I'm man enough to give someone extra marks for a decent bit of basing, but would prefer it if I wasn't penalised for trying to improve my painting mark whilst someone else has slapped some rocks on a worse painted model and gets a bonus. Over all I'm not sure, as I know that I'm probably in a minority when it comes to disliking basing (part of the hobby and all that), but surely I'm not alone in thinking it's one of those things that should be a luxury rather than a technical requirement?

So thoughts, if any. Do you like basing? If so, why? Are you in agreement with me (perhaps with a better stated argument)? Am I just being a berk? Discuss, and festive good cheer to you all.

RampagingRavener
17-12-2006, 23:54
None of my models are based-they all come on plain black bases (other than the Tyranids, who get plain green bases) and IMO they look just fine. I've never had great success with basing, personally. It either looks naff, gets on the models feet, or falls off after a few weeks and to be honest I think it's just too much effort for too little reward.

I've never had complaints about it either, which is fortunate. But then again, I don't go to Tournaments, so I'm not all that bothered. I do think it's a bit unfair to take marks off for not being based-I'd say you don't give them a bonus or a penalty for a plain base, with marks off for being badly based and marks on for being well based. Just seems the fairest thing to me.

Feor
18-12-2006, 00:08
Ideal, if perhaps somewhat pricey solution.

See if you can find somewhere to make you (or figure out how to make yourself) clear plastic bases, like the skimmer/flying bases. Then your bases fit on any terrain you happen to be using.

marv335
18-12-2006, 00:08
i find basing makes a model look better.
it can really enhance the look of a model.
even a coating of sand with a spot of drybrushing on it.
however.
the tournament painting rules say models must be based.
i fail to see how this is unfair.
it's a digital state. you get the points if it's based. it doesn't have to be based well, it just has to be done.

onnotangu
18-12-2006, 00:12
funny I took first place in my last tourney yet all I had was inked sand. of course it was because no one else either bothered to finish theirs in time or bought prepainted armies from e-bay.

marv335
18-12-2006, 00:16
that's my point, ink some sand and you have a legally based model.
not difficult is it?

Lord Malek The Red Knight
18-12-2006, 00:19
have you thought of "generic" (or as close as is possible) bases?
a bit of grass, a bit of mud/earth/sand, a bit of rock, a bit of debris, so whatever board they are put on, they will fit in, at least to some degree?

alternatively, put pins in the models' feet and make variant bases for every type of board they are likely to be placed on. :p

all my bases are sand painted black and drybrushed grey (as ash/rubble), with some bigger bits of sand painted silver/bronze (as debris/slag), and i leave/paint the base edge black. but then again, im not worried about how they look on different boards. i do it this way because its quick, cheap and easy and doesnt detract from the model too much, and also because it fits my planet (a Hive World with ash wastes and ruined cities).

as to whether its fair to be penalised... well, if its in the rules, and you dont agree to it, then find a different event if you dont want to be penalised. if its not explicitly stated, but judges rule that your models dont look as good as others due to a lack of basing, well, thats personal taste - it doesnt have to be fair, im afraid.

anyways, hope that helps :)

~ Tim

Captain Micha
18-12-2006, 00:22
to me it shouldn't matter as long as the mini has a base on it to start with. My bases are all black, green or white with blue tinges to it. Nothing fancy. I definatly like the look of painted bases more. Especially dark colored minis. It helps them stand out abit more.

Greatoliver
18-12-2006, 00:22
Well, if anyone does penalize you, just say they're fighting on a black plastic world! :D

Getz
18-12-2006, 00:26
I tend to go with Scorched Brown painted sand dry brushed with a little Graveyard Earth and Bleached Bone. It fits in on most tables and is suitably low key not to detract from the figure.

If basing really causes you that much of a headache, I suggest you resort to flock. It requires virtually zero effort and gives you quite reasonable results. I have a brown/green mix that I used to use on just about everything before trying slightly more elaborate bases. Combined with painting the rim of the baseit looks fine and will preventyou loosing marks for painting.

HiveFleetEzekial
18-12-2006, 01:16
well it's not exactly like the rules demand you give them varied, wild, 'realistic' looking scenery on thier bases... just give'm a coat of some color, and flock the tops. aint hard to do, and not much time to do it either.

that's all they 'require'. anything extra is just that.. extra.

dempseypoland
18-12-2006, 01:48
I also suggest clear (transparent) bases - it will look good no matter the table :-)

Seth the Dark
18-12-2006, 01:52
Basing your models make it look a little better and especially when you have a carrying tray done in the same "theme".

Lord Humongous
18-12-2006, 02:21
Well planned basing can really make your armies paint scheme shine. It doesn't take much skill- like folks said, drybrushed sand looks fine, but the point is, you can select colors that enhance your figures. Black plastic doesn't do much to complement a paint job.

Laughingmonk
18-12-2006, 02:28
I always base my models. I do the easy way: Put the sand on before priming the model, and then use the bleached bone/ grave yard earth trick above. Then depending on the model, I throw on static grass after I put on some matt varnish. It's fast, and it looks good.

I think it's fair to doc on unbased models. It's an incomplete figure if it aint based. It'd be like showing up with a Golden-Demon worthy paint job on all of your figures, but all of their weapons would be primed white.

Hellebore
18-12-2006, 03:45
An easy cheat for bases is to sand/flock them before undercoating, so that they get primed as well. It also means the spray going on the base isn't being wasted.

Depending on the end result of your basing however, it may not be appropriate.

Grey basing (burnt/wrecked cities) is easy that way. Put black ink over the sand once undercoated, and then just dry brush with grey.

Finito.

Hellebore

Locke
18-12-2006, 03:59
there used to be a time where having a painted base or just a basic complete green flocked base was enough. now i spend maybe 25% of my modeling and painting time on bases.

i made my peace with it and moved on, and stepped up to the times.

InquisitorNiels
18-12-2006, 05:16
My Night Lords fight in a city, all the time! I just like the way that the dark grey looks with the dark blue armour. Like someone said, its easy and with the right colors can make the model really "pop"

USABOB
18-12-2006, 05:43
I don't know if it's classified as basing or not but I make lines and drill countersunk rivets to make my bases look like ship deckplate, random bases also get insignia/numbers on them. Considering I run an all termie army it made me think that it was appropriate. No rocks and grass for me, just cold hard metal :).

Brother Antonios
18-12-2006, 06:30
I'm shocked some poeple think painting is easier than basing? I'm a complete buffon when it comes to painting, but I love the lack of precision needed to make great bases.

If your having some difficulty check out the hero basing kit, looks like it makes great bases a snap. Also check out the large amount of resin bases available, you can just paint most of those.

CrazyHeeb
18-12-2006, 07:13
My basing takes about 2 minutes per base. It's simple, but adds a serious style element to an otherwise bland Tyranid army. I put two coats of Snakebite Leather, drop some glue on the top and pour some green flock on it. The brown and green add a nice highlight to the black and red of my nids.

scarletsquig
18-12-2006, 07:42
If I've painted a figure to a high standard (usually a character), I actually prefer *not* to base it - I think plain black looks better if it's going on display. A base can detract far too much from the actual figure, so I prefer to leave it untouched.

Just a personal preference - I still use my "display shelf minis" in games, they're just not based up like the rest of the army.

I'd be somewhat pissed if I got a 0 painting score for a spectacularly painted army at a tourny just because I hadn't slathered a layer of goblin green around the commander's feet...

Azhrahg
18-12-2006, 08:35
I actually agree with you abot basing. However in the danish tournament scene lately basing has been demanded to even attend.

My solution was to put small dark grey gravel on the base, and wash it with black ink. It makes the base look almost as normal, but with enough texture to also look like a poorly maintained road or similar.

It takes a few seconds per base, and it still looks good.

Azhrahg

Althanan
18-12-2006, 08:37
My basing takes about 2 minutes per base. It's simple, but adds a serious style element to an otherwise bland Tyranid army. I put two coats of Snakebite Leather, drop some glue on the top and pour some green flock on it. The brown and green add a nice highlight to the black and red of my nids.

More or less what I do. Paint model, paint a base color on the model's base (generally Snakebite Leather or Scorched Earth), then flock it and stick some rocks on it when the flock is set. There's a brand of train hobby terrain stuff, comes in yellow bags... better quality flock and rocks than the GW stuff, bigger variety than the GW stuff, and MORE of it per bag than the GW tubs for about 1/4 the price.

Been screwing around with GW's static grass a bit tho... not sure if I'll keep on with it however, as I can't get the crap to stand up right.

Shadowseer Crofty
18-12-2006, 11:31
Having finally started putting the Tau Empire release box set to use, I started thinking about the conversions that I was going to include, how I was going to implement the colour scheme, names, etc. Then I suddenly remembered the bases, and how my Space Marines were penalised for not being based at the last tourny.

I remember that well, and to be fair, werent they also penalised becuase one of your land speeders wasnt painted at all? if you'd painted that or based everything you would have won that beer.

Now this isn't a rule query or anything like that, just thoughts. It strikes me as being slightly unfair that players are expected to base their models or recieve less points.
i thought it was they recieved bonus points for being based. though it was back in january, and the memory isnt brilliant, but i'm sure it was an extra 5 points for each opponent that said on his result sheet that your army was based, painted, detailed etc. or am i forgetful and it was lose 5 points for each opponent that doesnt?

Now before I get called a lazy get, I'm going to make it clear that I take alot of time to paint my models (or did when I had spare time),
then you met the trouble and strife:p (for those who dont have a clue what that means, its cockney for wife, so i jokingly call his gf that). can't argue with what your saying though, you even used to paint your marines at school.

and make a decentish job of it as well though I say so myself.
i can confirm that his painting is presentable, not golden demon standard but will not be slagged off at a tourny.

For example, in the codecies and rule book, I see pictures of the 'Eavy Metal models fighting in tundra with a desert base, or an urban battle with snow covered bases. To me this doesn't improve the model, and only serves to break the illusion which good painting conveys. Sure if the models are on a table with matching terrain it looks awesome, I'm not denying that, but when it comes to playing in a tourny with several board types, the plain black base looks decent as an all rounder.
the only problem really is you cant have a base that will fit everything. best you could do is cover the base in that water effect stuff, that will fit everything except a desert if you say brother moronicus has just stepped in a puddle.
as you say about codexs, surely the 'eavy metal team would have enough models for each army that they can match the base to the board?

Of course the opposite can be argued, that the plain black base looks naff no matter what terrain it's on, and that's fair enough. However the second reason I don't like to base is a combination of time and lack of ability. I don't have time to perfect my basing technique, which isn't so good to start with. My snow base looks similar to a wedding cake, my jungle like a tissue's contents, and destroys a perfectly good colour scheme. If people saw my army with my bases, chances are the painting composition would be seriously penalised, that's how bad I am. So I leave it, and lose marks anyway.
remember, in tournys your not penalised for tha standard of painting (except for best painted army award), your penalised if there arent at least 3 colours and there arent details painted. a bad base wont stop people seeing the details, just becuase it looks like youve sneezed on the base doesnt cover up the scar on brother sergeant incontinentia's face, or the hasty welding of brother biggus diccus' shoulder pad

Discuss, and festive good cheer to you all.
makes a nice change from 'Bah Humbug' there draagor

MadJackMcJack
18-12-2006, 11:35
Base them don't base them, just for the love of god don't paint the bases gobbo green and leave it at that. It looks bloody horrible!

Darkseer
18-12-2006, 12:21
I used to leave my miniatures unbased.

Then I got some PVA and a paperclip.

Now I flock my models with sand and stones before I undercoat them, then paint the whole thing together.

It works brilliantly.

AventineCrusader
18-12-2006, 13:17
Been screwing around with GW's static grass a bit tho... not sure if I'll keep on with it however, as I can't get the crap to stand up right.

To make static grass stand up, after you have made a little blob of PVA and stuck in your clump of grass, simply blow across the top of the base, and the grass should stand up:D ...

Crusader

Luke
18-12-2006, 13:19
Don't use pva. Use superglue instead, it makes the grass stick better and looks more realistic the way it clumps.

AventineCrusader
18-12-2006, 13:29
Don't use pva. Use superglue instead, it makes the grass stick better and looks more realistic the way it clumps.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one, Luke. I have tried both and like the effect of the PVA much better. I have never had any problems with any of the grass coming off either. The superglue just seemed more difficult to use overall.

Crusader

Luke
18-12-2006, 14:11
There's nothing difficult about it. It's probably more easy than pva. Plus there is no wastage as you use 100% of what comes out of the tube.

Some Historical/Fantasy examples but the same goes for sci-fi too
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/WAB/nakedgermans.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/My%20models/skink2.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/My%20models/nurglewarrior.jpg

Rlyehable
18-12-2006, 15:22
To your original question, yes it is fair to take points off for not basing the model. It is just as fair as taking off for not painting the model.

Althanan
18-12-2006, 18:09
Aventine, Luke, thanks for the tips. I'll have to try those out.

Tom
18-12-2006, 20:17
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one, Luke. I have tried both and like the effect of the PVA much better. I have never had any problems with any of the grass coming off either. The superglue just seemed more difficult to use overall.

Crusader

Agreed there, althoughfor snow flock, superglue all the way. Doesn't clump enough with PVA at all.

Luke
18-12-2006, 22:39
Well I am not going to change your mind, but to all those who have never tried superglue, give it a go. You will be pleasantly surprised and I bet you don't go back to using pva glue....like a caveman :D

Aundae
18-12-2006, 23:30
It is fair and right in my opinion to be docked points for not basing your models. If you don't put in the extra effort that the guy next to you did, you deserve to lose. The next thing that would come up is why someone would dock you points for not painting your models at all. You know what it is, so why should it matter right? Lets even go a step further and say you should just use the plastic base by itself with a little "M" painted on it. It's obviously a Marine right, so why should you get docked points for not having a model at all. Pretty much all this is is a long tirade saying that it doesn't take any time at all to splotch some green paint on the base then glue some flock to it. So I'll just shut up now. :(

Brother Antonios
19-12-2006, 00:13
Well I am not going to change your mind, but to all those who have never tried superglue, give it a go. You will be pleasantly surprised and I bet you don't go back to using pva glue....like a caveman :D

Yes! I use superglue too. Look for the kind that sticks to everything execpt human skin, that has to be the greatest upgrade to super-glue ever. I made some shiny grass with a sheen of super glue using just my fingers. It usually comes in a tube the color of human skin, which is ironic.

Luke
19-12-2006, 00:22
Sounds rare. Are you sure that is superglue?

TeddyC
19-12-2006, 00:37
An unbased model just looks naff... you would leave an arm unpainted? or a foot? or a head? I think its perfectly reasonable to deduct points

Fair enough you wont always fight on the same terrain but there is enough 'generic' basing techniques to last a lifetime....

I always used sand > brown ink > drybrush bleached bone > green static flock (not too much though, just in patches).... works for about ANYTHING.

Then used black ink > drybrush codex grey > 2 coats of white flock... dwarves from snowy mountians....

hootier
19-12-2006, 01:32
I think it's funny that some people say that basing looks bad. That's kinda like saying that painting the miniatures makes them look bad.

If you don't like the way you based something, then base it different. There are as many different ways to do your bases as there are ways to paint your models. The only exception is that lots of people find it excruciatingly easy to do bases and have them look really nice.

In short, I don't think there's ANY excuses for not doing your bases if you're entering a tourney where there's a requirement for it.

Lord Humongous
19-12-2006, 01:39
I forgot to mention, I glue the sand and debris (often made from junk I pick up at work when sweeping the floor) to my bases, and my girlfriend paints and dry-brushes them for me. LOL- makes the process very quick, and its given her a chance to appreciate the hobby. Now she wants her own army...

Grubnar
19-12-2006, 01:39
I base all my minis with fine sand, painted black, drybrushed gray. That way they fit with my gaming table. If I had no table I have no idea how, or if I would base them.

InquisitorNiels
19-12-2006, 04:37
If your loosing points, and you want to win I think the answer should be clear enough. If you go to get some games in and havea good time, dont worry about it!

You could paint some whit spots on the base and say they are in space! Or just dont use anything at all and still claim your army fights in space! Just make sure all your Marines have helmets.

fwacho
19-12-2006, 08:22
Black bases are simply tacky for anything but BFG. at the very least it should be painted brown, green, or grey. the easiest way to base a model is the GW flock after coating the top white elmers glue. do this an dyou can even leave the edge black if you want. The flock is multi-colored and makes your painting stand out (even green).

8 bucks will cover nearly 10,000+ points worth of bases and it takes about 90 seconds to apply... this reaon alon eis whay I would penalize you for a black base...

seriously at least paint it some kind of ground color. fancy is fine if you're good... but just a little goes a long way on a base.

Brotherdraagor
19-12-2006, 09:35
But that's my point, as far as I'm concerned black bases don't look tacky, and suit every gaming board with equal mediocrity. To me (and this is nothing against those who like/do this) a painted base, unless damn good, looks just as tacky as bad/unmatching basing.

I know how to base, it's not rocket science, it's just something that despite practice, I'm just not very good at at all. The suggestion that bad basing should be penalised, plain bases given no bonus, and good bases given a bonus is the best suggestion I've seen. That's a better system than me having to give generic gamer number 24 extra points just because he's shoved some flock on his models feet and base.

The bonus points for painting are given because the model looks a lot better when painted, especially when painted well. Bases on the other hand, as I said before, can ruin a decent paint scheme and model unless it's to the same standard as your painting. I've lost count the amount of times I've been disinclined to give the basing score to a very well painted army because it just looked rushed and terrible (I might add that I do give the score anyway, as rules are rules and I'm not a tosser).

I'm not lazy, as a lot of the replies seem to be implying. I know full well that a model can be based in 90 seconds. However I also know a model can be painted in 90 seconds, but I don't think very many people do that because they want their model to look good. I know a guy who's terrible at painting, knows this, and is getting me to paint an army for him. Whilst I don't have the funds to have my army based, it's the same principle.

Angelus Mortis
19-12-2006, 11:40
You know, you could just put plain grey colored rocks on the base. I mean, rocks are found in every type of terrain so it wouldnt be a stretch for your gaming and you wont get knocked points. As for not being good at it, no offense, but all it requires is a little glue on the base and swishing it around in a box lid with some little rocks in it. You can do an entire squad in less than a minute and it looks good.

Marked_by_chaos
19-12-2006, 12:09
I think that basing is often more effective than taking hours to paint the models. A well based adequately painted model is better on the tabletop than a well painted unbased miniature.

Obviously if its golden daemon standard then perhaps its different. (but then agin the bases on such winning models look like they took more time than the model itself.

Shadowseer Crofty
19-12-2006, 13:52
but all it requires is a little glue on the base and swishing it around in a box lid with some little rocks in it.

that might not be the best idea, unless youve put 2 or 3 coats of varnish on then it could ruin the paintwork.

Slaaneshi Slave
19-12-2006, 15:12
I used to be in the same position with all my bases simply painted green. Then I started gluing sand on and black/greying it. Now I have found a very easy method which I think looks really good. I'm not a very good painter, but a base really helps, I think.

http://www.l2lod.com/base.jpg

Thin down some PVA / wood glue, paint it on, dip the model in sand with a few larger bits in it (AFTER you have sealed / varnished your figure), wait for that to try, paint it Snakebite Leather, drybrush it a lighter colour (Desert Yellow works). Wait for that to dry, then apply a few spots of PVA again, then dip in fine flock. Allow to dry overnight, shake off the excess, then paint with VERY thin PVA / wood glue, voila, sexy base.)

Deadite
19-12-2006, 16:15
I'm of the opinion that if you know the rules going into the tournament, there shouldn't be any complaints about your score. You knew what you had to do to avoid being penalized, it was stated in black and white.

As for basing, if you prefer the plain black base, at the very least, make an extra effort to fill gaps in the slotta bases and paint over those. A quick dab of putty and maybe a bit of texture with a stipple brush, then just paint black and highlight. If you can paint a model, you can surely paint a base. Find a complimentary color, or just highlight the black.

Angelus Mortis
19-12-2006, 22:52
that might not be the best idea, unless youve put 2 or 3 coats of varnish on then it could ruin the paintwork.
Well, it works for me. And I've never had an issue. You just have to be aware of the proper amount of glue and not over do it. Then you have to go back with a toothpick or modeling knife while its still wet and pick off loose pieces that may of got on the feet/legs. Since its still wet, it comes off no problems and doesnt leave any residue. That being said, you have to make certain you dont let any dry on the feet/legs because that can ruin the paint job.

Feor
19-12-2006, 23:32
If you were just flocking with sand you could probably even leave the sand on the mini's feet. It would make it look like *gasp* it'd been walking in dirt! :p

Also, one question I have about all the comments in here, I can understand painting it grey or some such if you're going for ash wastes, but why would you paint sand snakebite leather which is, well, sand colored?

marv335
19-12-2006, 23:39
the paint seals the sand onto the base, stopping it falling off.
plus believe it or not it looks better.
it's weird i know, but there it is.

MarksmanCypher
19-12-2006, 23:49
I still have plenty of Slate left over from my Urban Basing Kit from the CoD release and I have based my Emperor's Children and will be basing my Eldar in it. But, then again, this is because the table I mainly use at my store has the same coloured ground.

When I do the basing, I tend to blutak the model's legs to the base and then apply the slate - when it's dried, I can spray the legs and base together and paint them seperately (I paint everything else on the sprues).

Getz
19-12-2006, 23:51
Also, one question I have about all the comments in here, I can understand painting it grey or some such if you're going for ash wastes, but why would you paint sand snakebite leather which is, well, sand colored?

The appearance of unpainted natural materials draws the eye to the artificial nature of the scale and paintjob on the minature.

It's the visual equivalent of breaking suspension of disbelief.

BLZBOB
20-12-2006, 11:29
You don't need to go overboard when basing of course it can look nice and complement a model these bases took maybe an hour apiece most of the was actually sculpting the expoy painting was quite quick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/BLZBOB/warseer%20pics/XV88-2c.jpg

The ones on the attached image are my standard rocky base and are easily made up the sand is glued on prior to priming and then drybrushed three sucessivly lighter shades of grey a fast, hard and dirty grey/black wash is applied and then the rim is painted brown. Finishing touches are a bit of glue and some woodland scenics turf, it is shorter by far than static grass but scales well and just looks like close cropped grass especially in quantity. I got fed up with static grass as it was always sparse and never looked quite right.

EvC
20-12-2006, 11:52
Just another post about my thoughts on a random topic in the 40k game. I didn't put this in the hooby and painting forum because I'm not asking for advice or opinion on my work, just discussion.

Hope you don't mind someone who doesn't play 40K (Yes there is such a person!) joining in...

Basing always adds something to a mini, without taking anything away. Even with the most ridiculous combination, such as a snow-themed base fighting on a desert world doesn't take anything away, as it gives a sense of cohesion to your models at the very least. It's not too specific that it damages the mystique in my opinion at least- certainly it's nowhere near as bad as models that have the dead body of a specific race on the base on even in the grasp of the model itself.

I do tend to think that basing is too time-consuming for what it does, though. My own SOP is to give the top a coat of PVA, dip it in sand, let it dry, give it a much watered down coat of PVA again (Sometimes mixed with snakebite leather), then paint over with SBL, highlight with bleached bone... all in all it takes ages, and while taking a production-line approach may streamline it, I'm not looking forwards to the day my High Elf army is complete and I have to base 100 models (Especially with so many of their gowns down so close to the base- I'm not going to use a fine paintbrush to add PVA to my bases, ever!).

The appearance of unpainted natural materials draws the eye to the artificial nature of the scale and paintjob on the minature.

It's the visual equivalent of breaking suspension of disbelief.

Exactly- it's the same reason we paint over parts of the model with metal coloured paint!

Onisuzume
20-12-2006, 13:45
Just the plain old Goblin Green painted bases for me.
Why Goblin Green you may ask, well, that's what the old pictures all had, and the fact that most of the battles take place on grassy plains, so the occational rock or shrubbery can be expected, it isn't that needed. (Tried flocking once, it was horrible.)
With the exception of the clear flyer bases and the base of my Dreadnought.
Simply because I too have neither the time nor the skill for nice, detailed bases. (And I'm currently struggling with the Dreadnought's base)

And with me being a bit of a perfectionist; I can see myself wasting hours on getting a single base right.
Now imagine that with 3 armies in need of a base. (2.5k lizardmen (80+ models), 2k tyranids (100+ models) and 1.5k Dark Angels (50 or so models))

Anubis_the_Harlie
20-12-2006, 14:14
I personally love my bases, all i do is PVA some snow flock on the base and leave the rim black, it looks kinda cool I think.