PDA

View Full Version : Stuck with the Dúnedain

Intrepid Adventurer
18-12-2006, 11:27
Hey all,

I recently got my hands on the 'Guardians of the Shire' box, just because I like the models. However, since I will actually be playing LotR in a month (just been painting models so far), I thought it would be nice to have Gildor and the Dúnedain in my army.

Now I don't have the rulebook, as my friend/opponent has bought it and he doesn't live nearby, but I understand the Dúnedain Rangers are heroes in their own sort, so I'm not sure whether to take them or how to use them. Is there anyone here who would have a suggestion for some sort of Grey Company/Rivendell based list, composed of (but not necessarily containing): High Elf warriors, Gildor, the Dúnedain and perhaps Elladan and Elrohir? And if at all possible, the list needs to be somewhat competitive. I'll be playing Mordor and Isengard as enemies.

Thanks in advance.

~IA

Edit: Considering the High Elves, I have all the models available (so banners, captains, spears, bows, swords are all there), except the named heroes. I have no problem buying them though, as I was planning on doing that anyway.

Intrepid Adventurer
21-12-2006, 16:33
Hate to reply to my own post to bump it up, but really... nobody cares enough to help me out? =\

Bloody Gauntlet
21-12-2006, 20:40
Hate to reply to my own post to bump it up, but really... nobody cares enough to help me out? =\

The list would be very unusual. I have no experience with dunedain, wether it be by playing with or against them. Sorry.

Gondorian
22-12-2006, 12:46
Again, I've not played with them as an army so I can't help much.
Firstly you have chosen a difficult force to master so if you do stick with these guys you will probably end up as an amazing player.
Secondly, as you are using Dunedain you will have an abundance of might points, this means that you will be short on numbers but will be able to wear your opponents might down quickly and have more chance of getting heroic actions.
Try out with a mix of warriors and heroes. I have no idea what would be a good balance between the number of dunedain and elves that you field. You may need to experiment a little.

I did hear of a dunedain army using mounted rangers and army of the dead. The overall plan was to use the rangers to harry the enemy with mounted archery while the army of the dead closed the gap. The rangers thn became flankers. This may not work for you but perhaps give it a go.

Theme wise you could really get a great army going, I reckon it could also be competitive but it is gonna be harder to win with than the more conventional armies.

edit: This is the tactica that I briefly referred to you may find it useful you may not. Hope this helps.
http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php?pid=disparticle&catid=3&subid=16&artilceid=442

Intrepid Adventurer
22-12-2006, 22:22
Try out with a mix of warriors and heroes. I have no idea what would be a good balance between the number of dunedain and elves that you field. You may need to experiment a little.

This here is my main concern. Do I leave all the Elven heroes at home and take Dúnedain instead? Or should I take both?

Gondorian
24-12-2006, 14:48
Personally, I'd take the heroes that you like the most. If you have one elf hero that you like and a hanful of dunedain, then you have pretty much all the heroes and might you'll need.
Have a few games with the army and then see whether you feel you need more or less heroes/warriors.

Catferret
27-12-2006, 12:39
I'm actually planning starting a Dunedain force when the new Arnor stuff comes out soon. My initial plan was Aragorn with a bow, Gildor and 10 Dunedain with bows. A 12 model force for 500pts may not be the best idea in the world though... I'm gonna review my list when the new plastic Rangers come out. Although I still want to include Gildor because I really like the model.

Neknoh
27-12-2006, 14:07
Gildor, the twins and four or so Dúnedain would give you pleanty of might, throw in some elven archers/spearmen without armour to keep cost down (use Lorien Elf Bowmen models for them and sling spears to their backs) and to boost your Dúnedain by supporting with spears when engaged in combat and you should have a very nice force

Intrepid Adventurer
28-12-2006, 09:40
I'm actually planning starting a Dunedain force when the new Arnor stuff comes out soon. My initial plan was Aragorn with a bow, Gildor and 10 Dunedain with bows. A 12 model force for 500pts may not be the best idea in the world though... I'm gonna review my list when the new plastic Rangers come out. Although I still want to include Gildor because I really like the model.

Wouldn't you have too many bows this way? Or does the 33% limit not count for heroes?

Catferret
28-12-2006, 11:11
Wouldn't you have too many bows this way? Or does the 33% limit not count for heroes?

The limit doesn't apply to heroes. Check Legions book.

Brandir
28-12-2006, 15:33
From a 'fluff' point of view why not have the Sons of Elrond and fill the rest of the points with Dúnedain Rangers?

ChrisLS
28-12-2006, 16:53
The bows/models limit also doesn't apply to the Grey Company, which are the Dúnedain. So you could use the models as warrior level rangers. In all, I'd wait until the new Arnor book comes out - I've seen the plastic rangers and they are AWESOME!

Catferret
29-12-2006, 01:39
The Grey Company may have 4 Rangers of Arnor per Dunedain or Ranger of the North. While this isn't the usual bow limit of 33%, it is still a restriction.

Shadowphrakt
10-01-2007, 18:33
if you take 24 rangers with 6 dunedain/rangers of the north, you can ally them with other races, and the Grey Company section of your army will not be restricted by bow limit.

WH40KAj
10-01-2007, 20:30
if you take 24 rangers with 6 dunedain/rangers of the north, you can ally them with other races, and the Grey Company section of your army will not be restricted by bow limit.

My Grey Company list will be:

Aragorn w/Bow, Elven Cloak
Halabarad Dunadan
Rangers Of The North x4
(They are better than dunedain as for 1pt their defence is higher)
Rangers of Arnor x9
Rangers of Arnor x7 w/spears

As I have 10points spare, who is better on horse? Aragorn or Halbarad? I'm leaning towards aragorn, but then I won't need the cloak or the bow. Anyone?

Gondorian
10-01-2007, 20:43
Perhaps drop a couple of warriors and give Halbarad the banner of Arwen Evenstar. Just a thought.

WH40KAj
10-01-2007, 20:52
Perhaps drop a couple of warriors and give Halbarad the banner of Arwen Evenstar. Just a thought.

That is possible, though I'm more interested in trying out mass bow fire, using the might stores in my rangers of north to heroic shoot. That said with the points I'd take out for the banner, then I'd be tempted to take out Halbarad and take Glorfindel instead! I don't find the benefits of the banner worth losing a mass amount of shots.

Animatronica
12-01-2007, 17:48
Yeah wait for the New arnor Book intrepid, its gonna have everything you want, Dunedain are like "mini heroes" at 24 points each they have a point of Might Will and Fate, which is pretty good. and gildor is pretty good too, well hes an elf. elves are all filth. and theres no bow limit in the grey company army so with a box of plastic rangers and youll have a pretty big pretty good army on the way.

Gondorian
13-01-2007, 21:21
I played against a ranger of arnor force the other day. It was against a GW staff member. His army was:
Arathorn
Halbarad
Three Dunedain (I think)
The rest were rangers of arnor some with spears

I didn't have much time to play so I took a fun troll heavy army:
Burdhur (Or however it's spelt, the new troll hero model, this guy is ace)
Two trolls with chains
4 goblins with bows

I placed my trolls in a block in the centre behind a small building the goblins went into the edge of a wood on my left. The rangers made a 10 man volly fire block behind some woods on my opponent's side with Halbarad and Arathorn. Two small groups went on either side of the board each with two rangers and a dunedain.

My trolls marched forwards towards the main block of rangers, the goblins advanced on the left. The rangers also advanced due to mostly being out of range. The volly fire group let loose but failed to do any damage with their single hit.

My trolls continued forward as did my goblins who split up two going to the right of a building and two to the left. The small group of rangers on my left (opponent's right) were in charge range of the two goblins on the left of the building and engaged. The bulk of the rangers split into two, half led by Halbarad advanced through the woods and the other half led by Arathorn went around the trees. The group on the right remained stationary. Shooting again did nothing with a few arrows bouncing off of the trolls thick skin. The dunedain ran his sword through one goblin on the left while the other combat saw no casualties. First blood to the rangers.

I got priority so I moved my trolls further forward, they were now very close to the Arathorn's rangers. The two goblins on the left ran back towards the trolls while the survivor of last turn's melee ran behind the building. The dunedain on the left lined up for a shot at the goblins while the two rangers charged the lone goblin on the left. Shooting saw the dunedain miss but one of the rangers scored a wound on Burdagh. The combat saw the goblin win and slit one ranger's throat.

Next turn, priority went to my opponent. He charged the lone goblin and moved Halbarad's group further through the woods. He then charged Arathorn's group into the trolls, I also forgot that the trolls caused terror until later in the game. The goblins reached the trolls and took cover behind them leaving the rangers with nothing to shoot at as the combat was in the way. The dunedain had a los to one goblin but failed to hit. In the combat phase the single goblin on the left beat back the ranger and stabbed him through the chest. This goblin rocks. The trolls won all three combats and smashed most of the rangers apart. Arathorn who had charged Burdhur was not harmed.

Next turn the rangers had priority and again charged the trolls. Arathorn took Burdhur on in single combat. Halbarad's group moved out of the woods and ran closer to the trolls while the dunedain on the left moved half, to target the amazingly skillful goblin. The Goblins behind the trolls took aim with their bows, they could have charged but the trolls had it covered. The lone goblin could have hidden behind the building but having had his great confidence boost he took aim at the Dunedain. The Dunedain put an arrow through his eye. The remaining goblins missed completely. In combat the trolls all won again and killed all of the remaining rangers except one spear armed ranger who had supported the combat and Arathorn who took a wound.

My priority, I charged Arathorn with two trolls and two goblins with the spear armed ranger being charged by the other troll. Halbarad's group moved closer and would just reach combat next turn. The Dunedain joined them. The small group of rangers on my right were amoungst some rocky outcrops and didn't move all game. The single troll killed of his ranger with ease. Arathorn gained a six on his dice roll. The highest I managed was a five with one troll and with Burdhur only managing a two, even with all his might he couldn't win. Arathorn rolled through his legs and slashed them out from under him using all of his might to wound him. Burdhur failed his fate point and went crashing to the ground.

My priority. I charged Arathorn with one troll and positioned the other so that no help could reach him. The two goblins drew back their bows. Halbarard's group mobbed the troll they could reach while the group on the right drew a bead on both goblins. The goblin arrows hit the rocks, the ranger arrows hit the goblins killing one. My force was now broken. In the combat the trolls both won with the first killing enough rangers to break the force, courage tests for all next turn, while the second crushed Arathorn in one swing of his club.

My priority, dreaded courage tests. The last goblin legged it as did one troll. Not good. The troll the remained charged Halbarad. Both dunedain make their stand fast rolls and the last troll was mobbed. The highest he rolled was a five while the rangers got a six. Halbarad used all of his might to score three wounds killing the last model of my force.

Conclusions: This was a really fun game even though I had to rush it a little. Having now played a ranger army I think I have a better idea of what they are capable of. Firstly don't engage in battle lines. Do so in skirmish formations. Rangers work best when spread out so that your opponent must either split up to hunt you or focus on one group at a time and have to march into more arrows when they've finished each group off. Secondly, rangers are quite weak, their armour is light and even goblins up close can make short work of them, god forbid Uruk-Hai crossbows. Thirdly, their shooting is good and poor. The arrows hit often enough but suffer from being strength two. My opponent and I weren't really going for all out victory and he chucked the rangers into combat for fun. Had he held back and peppered me with arrows for aslong as possible, he'd have likely killed atleast one troll and probably all of the goblins. The key to the archery is to get as many shots as possible.

Including any goblins at all, with the exception of one, was a mistake on my part as it made my force easier to break. I Hope people have enjoyed this report and hope it helps them tactics wise