PDA

View Full Version : Collecting RT & 2nd Ed books

Lord Humungus
18-12-2006, 19:05
Could anyone be so kind as to list all the books and supplements made for these two venerable editions of our favorite game?

Mechanicus
18-12-2006, 19:41
Hmm... off the top of my head:

Rogue Trader: Warhammer 40,000:
Rogue Trader: Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook
Waaargh! Orks
Ere we go!
Freebooterz
Chapter Approved: The First Book of the Astronomican
Warhammer: Siege
White Dwarf Compendium
Warhammer 40,000 Compilation
EDIT: Thanks to AventineCrusader ;)
Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness
Realms of Chaos: Lost and the Damned
EDIT 2: Thanks to Olith :D
Warhammer 40,000 Battles
Vehicle Manual
EDIT 3: Thanks to Lord Humungus :)
Battle Manual

Warhammer 40,000 2nd Edition:
Rulebook
Wargear
Dark Millennium
Codex Imperialis
Codex Angels of Death
Codex Assassins
Codex Chaos
Codex Eldar
Codex Imperial Guard
Codex Orks
Codex Sisters of Battle
Codex Space Wolves
Codex Tyranids
Codex Ultramarines

I think that's all of them, but I could be wrong...

EDIT: Ah, the Realms of chaos books, thanks AventineCrusader!

EDIT 2: I hadn't heard of the Vehicle Manual and the Warhammer 40,000 Battles book, thanks Olith!

EDIT 3: And the Battle Manual, thanks Lord Humungus!

AventineCrusader
18-12-2006, 19:46
Under Rogue Trader add in 'Lost and the Damned' and 'Realm of Chaos'. I think.

Crusader

jazzdude78
18-12-2006, 19:55
and expect anywhere from 25-100 bucks for any single one of the RT books (most for around 40 really)
and if youre in the UK look into US sellers they tend to go lower than the UK based ones

The Emperor
18-12-2006, 21:08
These're the ones I need.

Warhammer 40,000 2nd Edition:
Rulebook
Wargear
Dark Millennium
Codex Imperialis
Codex Angels of Death
Codex Assassins
Codex Chaos
Codex Eldar
Codex Imperial Guard
Codex Orks
Codex Sisters of Battle
Codex Space Wolves
Codex Tyranids
Codex Ultramarines

Just Orks and Assassins, now. I got Space Wolves on eBay just the other day. Rogue Trader, however, that's gonna be a bit tougher. I have the Rogue Trader book and that's about it (And that was an insane amount of luck on my part! I spotted it for $20 on Chaos Orc and bought it immediately). The two Realms of Chaos books, as well as the Ork books, are what I really want, though. Especially Realms of Chaos. I never owned them, but a friend of mine did (Well, he owned one. Slaves to Darkness), and it was a great read. I'd love to get my hands on it and its companion book. And from what I hear, those Ork books are great, too.

Chainsworded Codpiece
18-12-2006, 22:04
Humungous-

Good luck in your search. I only have the RT main book (a softcover reprint) and Freebooterz, myself. All my 2nd ed. was sold during "Old Night", the Super-Crappy Late-'90's don't-know-where-the-rent-is-coming-from-Times.

Freebooterz is awesome just for the goofy Paul Bonner, Adrian Smith, and others' artwork.

I pissed about genCon all four days last time, trying to find someone who had a copy of the First Book of the Astronomican for a price under "sui-cyco razor-eating ridiculous". Many, including some chaps at Crazy Egor's, had no idea where I might find one.

So you may find that it's an expensive little item indeed.

Or not. Good luck, though.

sigur
18-12-2006, 22:13
All I'm owning from RT times is the rulebook, the compendium and the Realms of Chaos books; I'd love to get those Ork books too, but I simply can't afford them.

For starters, I would suggest everyone to try to get the 2nd edition books. All of them. Those books are just so amazing. The background, the artwork, the tables, ... ;)

Also, when owning those books, you can try to have a few 2nd edition games; maybe you'll like them better than the 4th edition ones.

Kjell
18-12-2006, 22:24
For starters, I would suggest everyone to try to get the 2nd edition books. All of them. Those books are just so amazing. The background, the artwork, the tables, ... ;)

Also, when owning those books, you can try to have a few 2nd edition games; maybe you'll like them better than the 4th edition ones.

This si why I'm trying to get my hands on the wargear book and the Codex Imperialis (if necessary, what's in it anyway?): because they're fun to read through and because I would like to be able to play some games if I so wished. Granted, it'd only be with Chaos warbands but that's alright with me. :D

sigur
18-12-2006, 22:31
I'd say that the Wargear book, besides the rulebook, is the most important one. Codex Imperialis is a great read indeed; I've been enjoying this book greatly since the day I got it back in the mid-90ies. When playing Chaos, you definitly should look to find those Realm of Chaos books, they're amazing (more then Liber Chaotica Complete, I might add). If someone complains that he can't understand why someone would worship Nurgle again, send him go reading "Lost and the Damned" (in my opinion the better one of those books) and he'll happily join the legions of Papa Nurgle.;)

Kjell
18-12-2006, 22:40
I know the wargear books is the second most important one. It has the rules for flamethrowers! :p But what is the Codex Imperialis book about? That's what I was wondering so I'm slightly pouty at you for going off about the wargear book. :p

The Realm of Chaos/Lost and the Damned books may be interesting reads but they're also expensive. One did show up in the GothCon auction last Easter but I didn't have enough money to spend on it. I do beleive it ended up a little more expensive than I would've been prepared to pay, too, but my memory might be playing tricks on me.

Oh, I forgot to say that I have the Dark Millenium book and box as well. The Ork power cards are missing but I have double to triple the amount of the other sets so I'm alright with that. That most templates and such from the starter box were in it was a nice bonus. And I got it for only fifty crowns, too. :D

sigur
18-12-2006, 22:49
I know the wargear books is the second most important one. It has the rules for flamethrowers! :p But what is the Codex Imperialis book about? That's what I was wondering so I'm slightly pouty at you for going off about the wargear book. :p

It's basically a book about background of everything. Apart from that, it has the stats and special rules of all the units listed in "Codex Army Lists".

The Realm of Chaos/Lost and the Damned books may be interesting reads but they're also expensive. One did show up in the GothCon auction last Easter but I didn't have enough money to spend on it. I do beleive it ended up a little more expensive than I would've been prepared to pay, too, but my memory might be playing tricks on me.

Yeah, especially those legendary books tend to become very expensive quite fast these days. Maybe you can just flip through them if you meet somebody who owns them.

Oh, I forgot to say that I have the Dark Millenium book and box as well. The Ork power cards are missing but I have double to triple the amount of the other sets so I'm alright with that. That most templates and such from the starter box were in it was a nice bonus. And I got it for only fifty crowns, too. :D

Very good, congrats mate. I heard a few people mentioning that with Dark Millenium, things got a bit too extreme in 2nd edition so if your games tend to be a bit to hero/psi-heavy or something, consider leaving this supplement out but for the first few games, definitly give it a try.;) Shame that the

Sleazy
18-12-2006, 22:51
I have RT, Lost & The Damned and First book all in mint condition ;)

Olith
18-12-2006, 22:59
There was also a Battle Book and a Vehicle Manual for 1st Edition, and a book that I forget the name of for 2nd that had 3 of the card cutout bunkers from white dwarf, I beleive it was a "WD presents" type thing.

Slaaneshi Slave
18-12-2006, 23:12
I've been looking for a copy of Lost and Damned for some time, but I am unwilling to pay more than £50 for it (which is a bit odd, since I just bought an IA book for almost that much..).

The Emperor
18-12-2006, 23:14
Dark Millennium is something I need to get, too. I bought a copy on eBay a while back, but it was sadly lacking in wargear cards (I got it and the 2nd edition box for $20something, so great deal either way). Also missing a Gate, I think. So I'm gonna need to buy myself another set so I can get my hands on the Wargear cards.

Incidentally, anyone know what the 12 Wargear cards in the 2nd edition box were? I remember some, but not all (Think there were 2 Vortex Grenade cards, Displacer Field, Refractor Field, Conversion Field, maybe Combi-Weapons... and my memory gets hazy around that point). Just want to know if I got those. I'd hate to get another Dark Millennium box only to find out that I'm still short a couple of Wargear cards.

Commissar von Toussaint
18-12-2006, 23:24
There was also a Battle Book and a Vehicle Manual for 1st Edition, and a book that I forget the name of for 2nd that had 3 of the card cutout bunkers from white dwarf, I beleive it was a "WD presents" type thing.

The book you are thinking of is "Warhammer 40,000 Battles." I got one on ebay last year and it was worth it.

Four nice battle reports, the datafax and rules for the Razorback, bunkers and some new missions.

The Emperor
18-12-2006, 23:34
Yeah, I've had that book since it came out. The four battle reports in there are great. I go back and reread them every once in a while. I also had its fantasy counterpart, Warhammer Chronicles, but sadly, like many other books I owned at the time, it was destroyed by a leaky roof. :( On the plus side, though, I've since bought the White Dwarf back issues which had the battle reports featured in Warhammer Chronicles (For those who remember, it was the Gathering of Might battle report, which featured The Empire and Wood Elves VS Orcs & Goblins and Chaos Dwarfs, and the subsequent battles they fought).

chromedog
18-12-2006, 23:57
I still have the first chapter approved book, and the compendium. A mate has the RT rulebook, and a lot of the ork stuff from 1st and 2nd ed. Copies are out there, you just have to find someone willing to sell them. For a reasonable price.

Lord Humungus
19-12-2006, 07:30
Thanks for the lists! I used to play 2nd edition ages ago with a friend who had a lot of the books. I haven't seen him in something like 7 years. It would be really cool to have all that stuff to remind me of the good ol' days.

pookie
19-12-2006, 10:25
i have codex assasins if anyone wants to make me an offer? ( sorry to thread jack )

sigur
19-12-2006, 10:29
Just make sure it's really the 2nd edition one and not the weird 3rd edition one that had about 10 pages. Those books have the same cover picture.

librerian_samae
19-12-2006, 10:33
I just managed to get my grubby little mits on angels of deathn for 3
I love ebay:D

Used to play 2nd edd but this is the first 2nd edd book I have actualy owened,
ah the nostaliga it brings back

pookie
19-12-2006, 11:21
im almost positive its 2nd ed, i'll take a look tonight and post tommorow.

Pookie

sigur
19-12-2006, 11:36
2nd edition one: The logo around the writing "Codex Assassins" is golden, 3rd edition one is dark grey. The writing is red in the 2nd edition version, Grey (IIRC) in 3rd edition.

Lord Humungus
19-12-2006, 16:44
Man, I just got my hands on the WD Compendium. The art in that book has so much *******' character! These old gems are priceless! I love the one where the Ogryn is throwing an Eldar jetbike.

EDIT: And thanks again for putting together the lists for me. I think you missed one for RT. I saw this thing called the "Battle Manual" - though I'm not really sure what it is. It has the same cover art as the 2nd ed Wargear book.

The Emperor
19-12-2006, 16:46
i have codex assasins if anyone wants to make me an offer? ( sorry to thread jack )

I'm interested. Just let me know if it is, in fact, the 2nd edition Codex, and not the third one (Just look inside. If their Weapon Skill's are 8 and they have a Movement stat, then it's 2nd edition).

If it is then quote me a price and I'll see what I can do. Though be warned, I can't buy anything til January. Christmas spending completely wiped me out this month.

Olith
19-12-2006, 18:09
Man, I just got my hands on the WD Compendium. The art in that book has so much *******' character! These old gems are priceless! I love the one where the Ogryn is throwing an Eldar jetbike.

EDIT: And thanks again for putting together the lists for me. I think you missed one for RT. I saw this thing called the "Battle Manual" - though I'm not really sure what it is. It has the same cover art as the 2nd ed Wargear book.

The Battle Manual was sort of an update that made 1st more like 2nd and had weapon stats in it. I have a copy I think somewhere if you'd like to know more. There was also the Vehicle Manual that has a dark angel biker on the front and contained rules similar to 2nd's vehicle cards and penetration system.

Lord Humungus
21-12-2006, 05:39
Which of the Rogue Trader books has the Slann lists?

Rob
21-12-2006, 06:56
Dark Millennium is something I need to get, too. I bought a copy on eBay a while back, but it was sadly lacking in wargear cards (I got it and the 2nd edition box for $20something, so great deal either way). Also missing a Gate, I think. So I'm gonna need to buy myself another set so I can get my hands on the Wargear cards.

Incidentally, anyone know what the 12 Wargear cards in the 2nd edition box were? I remember some, but not all (Think there were 2 Vortex Grenade cards, Displacer Field, Refractor Field, Conversion Field, maybe Combi-Weapons... and my memory gets hazy around that point). Just want to know if I got those. I'd hate to get another Dark Millennium box only to find out that I'm still short a couple of Wargear cards.

Dark Millennium was so cool! So many psychic abilities to use. I'll have to look but this was when they introduced Strategy cards as well. Fun stuff. I miss the 2nd edition. I loved the psychic phase in the game. Really cool blast templates and the Foot of Gork too! Fun ork psychic ability.

As for Wargear cards there were a lot more than 12 I think. Aegis suit, Rad grenade, Virus grenade, haywire grenade, halucinocen grenade, force weapons, bionics, etc. I'll post more if I can remember.

Griefbringer
21-12-2006, 11:23
Which of the Rogue Trader books has the Slann lists?

The only Slann material I know is in the basic rulebook (unless there was something in Chapter Approved: Book of Astronomican).

And a correction to the list Mechanicus put up: Warhammer 40,000 Battles is for 2nd edition, not for RT (which had Battle Manual). Also, the 2nd edition started box also came with a sort of codex-booklet in addition to the three bigger books.

And for RT era stuff, do not miss the WD's from that period - not everything in them got compiled to the books.

chromedog
21-12-2006, 12:16
No slann list in book of the astronomican (it's on the desk, as I'm doing a favour for a puppies player, and redoing the 'For the Wolf Time' campaign for 4th ed forces. ) but from memory, slann were in the RT book.

As for the compendium, it looks more like the ogryn is breaking the jetbike across his shoulders.

t-tauri
21-12-2006, 12:27
Which of the Rogue Trader books has the Slann lists?There are no Slann lists. None were ever published. The few miniatures had only very limited releases.