PDA

View Full Version : Mk8 Space Marine armor?

Brother Muninn
19-12-2006, 09:17
A few years back I landed an auction on Ebay for Mk8 Space Marines (x3). They looked pretty nifty, albeit static, so I was happy to have 'em. They just resurfaced in my bit box and it occured to me that I'd never seen them before the auction, or since.

My question: Has anyone else ever seen these before? The slotta tab notes that they're GW mkVIII, made in 1990. Was this some limited release item, or a scratch built forgery I bought into?

~ Muninn

rrchristensen
19-12-2006, 09:23
no, I think these are genuine. If you head over the the Stuff of Legends website (www.solegends.com if I remember correctly), and look through space marines ca. 1990, these guys will pop up.

Eulenspiegel
19-12-2006, 09:41
They´re genuine GW.
Then they tried to introduce the successor of the MKVII, but the design didn´t seem to catch. It´s a bugger to do characterful artwork for, what with the high collar and rather constricted helmet moveability.

Two versions were produced, AFAIK. One without arms (for the 2nd edition Space Marine metal body + plastic arms setup) and the rather static one with arms in your picture.

pookie
19-12-2006, 09:54
hey, cool never seen those before, only the mk8 without attached arms. nice find.

librerian_samae
19-12-2006, 10:02
All my ravenwing have mark 8 bodies, I really like them myself
shame they werent evreyones cup of tea:(

Gen_eV
19-12-2006, 12:07
Well, it kind alives on in the Sergeant's torsos, but for some reason they don't include the reinforced belly cables on thatguy.

I wish Forgeworld would just sit a couple of sculptors down and get them to bash out a full set of 'proper' power armour multi-parts in resin, then let us buy separate torsos/legs/helmets in packs of around, let's say, ten or so. I hate this whole 'mix-and-match' approach that Marines seem to have these days, want all my guys to be identical.

MkVII for Tactical Squads, MkVIII for Veterans, and MkVI for my command squads, maybe with some MkIV Devastators in support. that would be so verynice, shame it's hugely impractical right now.

Gaebriel
19-12-2006, 13:26
Well, it kind alives on in the Sergeant's torsos, but for some reason they don't include the reinforced belly cables on thatguy. ...
Neither the changed ankle-joints :(

I like these models very much, I have a couple of the 'armless' ones, who also have an altered head position, looking slightly to the left.

Curis
19-12-2006, 13:43
I've never seen them with the arms before. I really like the redesigned forearm with the lack of a separate wrist plate. I assume these were never released - how much did you pay for them?

Son of the Lion
19-12-2006, 14:18
They were released about oooh....way back when. :D I think as part of the range of different Marks.
I got one from Mailorder because I could only find the armless ones instore, but I've seen a fair few around over the years. The lack of wrist plate is by far my favourite feature - it's closer to the original RT era MkVI 'beakies', but also looks a bit like the 2nd/3rd ed. terminators (which may be why they stuck with the 'bracelet' style, to differentiate).

Brother Muninn
19-12-2006, 18:24
I dropped about $15.00 US for three of them. I've only painted up one thus far. He fits in seamlessly alongside the rest of my army. 'Course being Raven Guard, I have a mish-mash of MkIV & up.

Carnage
19-12-2006, 19:42
I actually converted one of the armless ones into an emporer's champion for my Ultramarines a few years back....

I used him in 1 game, first turn he ate a basilisk shot and died :eyebrows:

rrchristensen
19-12-2006, 20:17
I dropped about $15.00 US for three of them. I've only painted up one thus far. He fits in seamlessly alongside the rest of my army. 'Course being Raven Guard, I have a mish-mash of MkIV & up.

but isn't he terribly small compared to newer stuff?

Brother Muninn
19-12-2006, 20:54
but isn't he terribly small compared to newer stuff?

Not really. No more or less so than the MkIV's, or some of the older metal minis.

Lostanddamned
19-12-2006, 21:09
You got yourself some lovely Marines there - real beautiful sculpts IMO. I would try and incoporate the "bodyguardness" of the pose into a command squad.

Pendragon
20-12-2006, 13:53
I had a pack of tree of the armless ones I bought back in the day. One became a power sword wielding initiate, one i converted into a Marshal and the third got a headswap (2/3 of a scout head turned out nicely) and is now my standard bearer.

I can get some pics if anyons interested.

/Joel

Gaebriel
20-12-2006, 14:42
I can get some pics if anyons interested.Interested.

Son of the Lion
20-12-2006, 14:51
One of my first conversions involving cutting metal (or lead rather :D), was replacing the old Dark angel sgt.'s head with the top half of a tactical marine's - giving him the appearance of a MKVIII. I was hugely proud of it at the time, though it probably looked awful. I would like to see more MKVIII around...

Pendragon
20-12-2006, 17:35
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/Penpenpen/Black%20Templars/Command1.jpg

Heres the two converted ones. second and fourth from the left.

/Joel

Atherakhia
20-12-2006, 17:37
mkVIII? That's Errant Armour, right?

Pendragon
21-12-2006, 02:28
mkVIII? That's Errant Armour, right?

IIRC, it is.