PDA

View Full Version : When I was a lad...Heroquest or Space Crusade?

Sleazy
19-12-2006, 10:56
Back in those hazy days when I was barely out of short pants and just starting this lark I used to play Heroquest & Space Crusade. Like many of us on here it was these games that really lanched the hobby for me. At school we used to argue over which was best, most people thought Space Crusade was better but I always had more of a soft spot for Heroquest.

Advanced Heroquest & Advanced Space Crusade followed, AHQ being great as your HQ characters could be transferred and it could pretty much use the whole WFB range. ASC was a little neon for me but did introduce the Tyranid menace proper.

So which was the best? vote here and give your reasons and share in the love for these classics.

Darkseer
19-12-2006, 10:57
Space Crusade had a big robot =instant win!

Jedi152
19-12-2006, 11:05
I didn't own Heroquest (I had Space Crusade, my cousin had Heroquest), but i enjoyed it a lot more than SC - don't know why, i just did.

And i was always the Elf.

75hastings69
19-12-2006, 11:16
Loved Heroquest, a classic, AH was not as good IMO.

Darkseer
19-12-2006, 11:25
Admittedly, we were kids and I don't think we played any of them properly.

Dungeon crawling is always loads of fun though.

violenceha
19-12-2006, 11:39
Heroquest and the quality of the miniatures was excellent.

Keravin
19-12-2006, 11:41
I preferred Advanced Heroquest because it gave you a more diverse dungeon. Space Crusade and Heroquest were too confined by their setups and Advanced Space Crusade was just ghastly.

Sleazy
19-12-2006, 11:43
I'm pretty sure we played them properly. If GW are so concerned with the younger market maybe they should look at the huge hit Heroquest was. Not only selling many copies but retaining so many players into WFB/WH40K. I'd say teaming with MB was probably one of the best moves they ever made.

Odin
19-12-2006, 12:01
I'm pretty sure we played them properly. If GW are so concerned with the younger market maybe they should look at the huge hit Heroquest was. Not only selling many copies but retaining so many players into WFB/WH40K. I'd say teaming with MB was probably one of the best moves they ever made.

Yup, I agree with that. I started writing my own rules and scenarios for Heroquest, and bought a few new models for it. That got me into Warhammer and everything else. That one copy of Heroquest has earned GW thousands of pounds from me alone. Multiply that by the number of other people brought in by the game, and it's mind-boggling. They really could do with doing that again.

Shadowheart
19-12-2006, 12:30
Heroquest all the way and then some. It's got such a tremendous amount of atmosphere, every element (and there's a lot) works to set the mood. While on the face of it it's a totally generic dungeoncrawl, it's got a very distinct character.
The miniatures are very nice, for that time, and the furniture was an excellent feature since it brought the dungeons alive and gave you a bit of visual context even when there weren't any monsters around (which was typically on the evil player's very short turns).
The art on the cards was done by John Blanche, I think, though it's not at all like his current stuff. It's got this quaint book-illustration sort of feel to it, and while you'd expect a much higher standard nowadays, it did like I said set the mood.

But what really makes Heroquest stand out for me is the story, at least that of the main game and the first two expansions (which was clearly written as one piece). Whoever wrote that got a great deal out of the format, without using all that much text. I especially like how the first quest book ends with the Imperial army shattered and the Emperor fleeing to safety, and then the whole first expansion is about getting his ass out of a besieged fortress via a secret back door. You don't help defeat the armies of evil, you just allow for the Emperor and his men to get out, while his personal guard gets slaughtered to a man. For being a children's game, it's pretty grim stuff.

Game-wise, well, there isn't really anything you can do as far as strategy or tactics are concerned. There's some tricks you can learn, but that's it. All the better though, since you don't play a game like Heroquest for the challenge, just for the fun. You can explore the dungeons and goof off with your friends.

Space Crusade (or Starquest as it was called here) lacked the elements that gave Heroquest its charm. Playing a squad of marines can't compare to playing the Barbarian, the Dwarf, the Elf or the Wizard. The exploration element isn't there and there's no story to speak of. As a game it may be better, but as far as I'm concerned that's beside the point.

I feel Battlemasters deserves a mention too, it was the last of the three Milton Bradley/Games Workshop collaborations. The one with the huge map and the tower. It's a lot of hassle putting it up, but every now and again it's fun to play with some non-gamers. You draw cards to see which units get to move and fight, so it doesn't really require any thought. The card system is so random though that any attempt at strategy is bound to fail.
While there's no story, a fully arranged Battlemasters table manages to look pretty impressive for a bunch of iffy, unpainted plastic models that keep falling over.

Though I own both Advanced Heroquest and Advanced Space Crusade, I haven't played either one of them. I'd like to try Advanced Heroquest someday, it looked pretty good from what I could tell, provided of course you've got a good GM with an interesting campaign. And miniatures. I think to keep the mood you should really use miniatures from that era rather than modern ones.

Sleazy
19-12-2006, 13:00
Very good post Shadowheart, I think you hit the nail on the head with HQ. You really got quite attached to your character and I would often try to work together with the other players but would leg it and leave them to die when the gargoyle showed up (I was always the Elf so this was totally in character I swear).

I dont think I remember Battle Masters.

Sureshot05
19-12-2006, 13:54
But to be a squad commander for your unit of crack commando's - loved space crusade, but I think it also hints that I was always a big fan of guns, which led to me not enjoying HQ as much.

Having played both now that I'm older, I have to say that Space Crusade is a better game, but Heroquest has a better story and you can grow more attached to your commander (though watching as a player becomes a chaos spawn in SC is always funny).

Tanner MIrabel
19-12-2006, 14:24
Oo, you made me choose, and that was tough. But it has to be HeroQuest. I made up my own scenarios and everything, and as posted above, it made me start on the whole GW thing. Space Crusade had the coolest background though, and gave me my first exposure to the 40K world.

Best weapon? Assault Cannon!

Finn Sourscowl
19-12-2006, 14:30
I couldn't choose either... Heroquest got me into gaming, but it was SC that kept me so I voted for that. I don't know why GW don't do something like this again instead of dumbing down WFB and 40k (particularly the last). many gamers I know got in that way and stuck around.

pookie
19-12-2006, 15:06
hero quest all the way, i still have it and a lot of the expansions at home ( although my wizards of morcar disapeared recently, im sure my snotling of a bro knows what happened but anyhow...)

that game got me into fantasy, then into 40k ( because i cant be bothered with paiting regiments etc ).

ah battlemasters!!!! the reason why i had an all knight empire army! 2 regiments of 35 halbadiers and lots and lots or cross bows and archers! ( plus the mini cannons.. ) oh and a giant battlemat thats still floating round my house somewhere!

escobar
19-12-2006, 17:07
Space Crusade had a big robot =instant win!

Definately - i loved that robot sooo much...

what did heroquest have = fimir! I don't think so...

sigur
19-12-2006, 17:24
A friend of mine got both games at one point and while I liked HQ, I was totally fascinated by Space Crusade (or StarQuest as it was called here). Some time later, I got Battle Lords (in this area: "The Claymore Saga") was also a thing I HAD to get; I think at this point I had lost my soul to miniature gaming (my passion for modelling kits also added to that I guess).

Star Quest just had these totally cool miniatures and images. Not that we played properly (being kids and all that) but it was fun indeed.

ExquisiteEvil
19-12-2006, 17:45
Definately - i loved that robot sooo much...

what did heroquest have = fimir! I don't think so...

Dude, it had the Gargoyle! Basically a mini Bloodthirster!

Tanner MIrabel
19-12-2006, 17:46
although my wizards of morcar disapeared recently, im sure my snotling of a bro knows what happened but anyhow.

Maybe he sold it. You can get really good prices for the rarer expansions on eBay

Splagbot
19-12-2006, 19:39
It was tough making a decision but I'd have to say Space Crusade, it had Space Marines (more importantly Imperial Fists), the afore mentioned big robot and them they released an expansion with 4 big robots (that last one swung it for me).

hereticdave
19-12-2006, 21:24
Space Crusade was the first GW game i played and i played it to death :) Just brought a replacement copy along with Mission Dreadnought and a couple of spare dreadnoughts for the really big ops :)

Heroquest was one i always wanted as a kid but never got. In my current nostalgia revival i did purchase the initial set and although simple would have been great fun back in the day. Indeed the models were great in the set, so much so i brought 10 each of the skele's, zombies and mummies for use in WHQ and Necro [zombies]

Lostanddamned
19-12-2006, 21:42
I got Heroquest for the princely Sum of £2 in a Charity shop, it was all still in the box, not even punched out etc.

My God I love that game!

feeder
20-12-2006, 01:03
Advanced HQ and it's expansion Terror in the Dark. So cool, unlimited possibilites. I would spend so much time designing dungeons. I loved that game.

SC was cool, except we found that generally we would slaughter everything we encountered until the dread showed up, then it was game over.

BattleMasters. Quite crappy. The Tower was good, made for excellent WFB terrain.

Melchiah
20-12-2006, 01:15
It was one of thoughes "quest" games that me and a friend found one day. Come to think of it i accutally cant remember how or where we got it:confused:. No rule book or nothing, just the figs, some lego, a pack of tarrot cards, and a deep adiction for orge battle.
I dont remember how we played and didnt care how wierd it was, we loved it. Later on some years I played out the "elf model" and a GW red shirt told me about my long lost game my friend and I "invented."

Darkseer
20-12-2006, 14:48
I'm selling my SPACE CRUSADE if anyone's interested?

£30!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1160538#post1160538

Sleazy
20-12-2006, 15:36
I just bought one... cant wait

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270068137703&rd=1&rd=1

nanktank
20-12-2006, 23:20
I remember how after countless games of space crusade, I picked up a white dwarf in the newsagent with some "funny looking" space marines, it's scary to think that was back in 1993, and that I have been in the hobby longer than some if the kids who play it have been alive

Jim30
21-12-2006, 11:02
1993 - pah, that makes you a mere young un in my book. I got HQ in 1990 and fell in love with it. Superb game and terrifyingly addictive. Also got SC, but didnt get into that in the same way.

Still playing GW to this day!

nanktank
21-12-2006, 11:16
yeah I know, it's still scary though.

Back OT I wanted to get HQ, but Mum wouldn't let me because she had heard about that horrible Dungeons and Dragons game, and couldn't differentiate between the two.

pookie
21-12-2006, 15:06
Maybe he sold it. You can get really good prices for the rarer expansions on eBay

nah it went way before ebay was around, prob swoped it with a lad of my estate for some 'smoke' little get, ive lost loads of models this way .....

Bombot
21-12-2006, 15:40
yeah I know, it's still scary though.

Back OT I wanted to get HQ, but Mum wouldn't let me because she had heard about that horrible Dungeons and Dragons game, and couldn't differentiate between the two.

Well there's not all that much difference, to be honest.

Funnily enough, the son of some of my parents' friends got D&D (the basic version) the year we got HeroQuest. Years later, we were all playing 40k and WHFB.

Griefbringer
21-12-2006, 17:04
I think I got to the miniatuere gaming a bit too late to encounter any of these games - though I managed to obtain a copy of Battle Masters back in 1996 (though I have traded away most of the models by now).

ExquisiteEvil
21-12-2006, 17:48
made me think - what happened to Warhammer Quest?

That was a little like HeroQuest but even better!

Easy E
22-12-2006, 16:17
I loved HQ. My friends and I made so many upgrades to the game. It was also infinitely scalable. I remember staging WHFB size battles using the HQ rules.

mattjgilbert
22-12-2006, 16:56
Heroquest and AH were great. Space Crusade kinda sucked really. Advanced Space Crusade introduced the Tyranidds as we know them and was an easy fit into Space Hulk so that was cool too.

hereticdave
22-12-2006, 20:20

WHQ rocks, another set i wished i'd had the cash to buy back in the day. Rebuilt my own set and managed to get most of the models through those Dungeon Denizens starter sets GW pushed out a couple of years ago.

@ExquisiteEvil: I think Sentry Box still has a couple - i cleaned out Great White North in the south :P

My project for this Christmas is to recreate Space Hulk with magnetic tiles [i've an 8'x4' magnetic gaming table] and pieces - long live the hulk! :chrome:

Also are excellent for 40k sized Inquisitor and of course Necromunda games :cool:

jirgaS
23-12-2006, 11:33
Space Crusade on my Amiga500

lorelorn
24-12-2006, 01:06

I liked Warhammer Quest a lot too, unfortunately it was dropped for support by Fanatic and never picked up again.

You might enojoy Descent: Journeys in the Dark, which is almost identical to Warhammer Quest in how it works. You get a bigger choice of player characters though. Descent is less bogged down by side rules, but the adventures that come in the book are also more focused, meaning less replayability.

Here's a link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17226

There is one expansion out and another due next year.

Back to the topic, it was always Space Crusade for me. In fact I found the last edition of Space Hulk disappointing as I was expecting some variety over the terminators with flamer versus genestealers gameplay.

nanktank
24-12-2006, 10:13
Ive still got WHQ somewhere in my garage, I remember an article in WD where it showed you how to export your characters into WHFB, I thought it hilarious to have a questing knight turn up better stats than my army general. I wish I had bought the lair of the Orc Lord expansion pack when I had the chance.

lorelorn
25-12-2006, 04:07
Yeah, I bought Lair of the or Lord at retail, but the Undead expansion I bought on ebay for the price of the boxed game and Lair combined... scary.

Jim30
26-12-2006, 10:53
The bulk of my early Orcs and Undead were fleshed out by the HQ models. Really nice models if a little samey. Nowadays of course my empire army is basically battlemasters with a bit tagged on. I often got grief in GW stores for not using "proper" citadel minatures on gaming days with those guys though.

squiggoth
26-12-2006, 11:11
Dude, it had the Gargoyle! Basically a mini Bloodthirster!

Mini Bloodthirster? The Gargoyle was as tall as the real Bloodthirster mini back in those days. :p

I voted HeroQuest mainly because it had plastic Fimir and Bloodthirsters and *oh my* the only good-looking plastic Zombies in the long history of GW .... my favourite of the Silly Old Games was actually the original Talisman, that you could play for hours and hours without getting bored. :cool:

lanrak
26-12-2006, 11:18
I got hero quest for a fun game at christmas.
I took it to our games club for a bit of light relief,from seroius historicals.
And the we picked up Dark Future,Space hulk ,et all.
ALL the 3d ROLEPLAY GAMES GW produced were exelent IMO.

And the way GW had several games aimed at various levels of experiance was what I miss about the GW gaming hobby.

ATM GW try to make WH and 40k suitable for everone,and end up making them of limited use to anyone.

What I mean is that a lot of gamers 'grow out ' of 40k,especialy.
If GW had basic 40k,and advanced 40k,WH and advanced WH,I am sure more gamers would stay with thier hobbygames for longer.

But perhaps I am on my own in thinking this.

Using the annalagy of racing cars,GW used to make go carts ,saloon racing cars,formular 3 racing cars and formular 1 racing cars.
So no matter what the skill of the 'driver' there was a car race suitable for them.
Now they just make gocarts that look like formular one racing cars IMO.