PDA

View Full Version : Worst models ever?

Jhayden
19-12-2006, 20:44
In this thread we talk about the most frustrating models we have ever tried to assemble. Anything from something so complex that you need instructions to figure it out, to anything as simple as having two pieces that don't line up correctly.

Mine would have to be the Dragon Princes for High Elves. These are some of my favorite models in the line, but they are probably some of the hardest to assemble.
The heads of the horses are pure metal, and completely outweigh the rest of the body. This leads to some strange tilting and an incredibly tough time trying to glue the bastards together.

Worst piece in the entire set however is probably the Standard. Instead of making whole standard like they should have, they decided to cut it up into two pieces. Two pieces of metal. No grooves, no dots, no nothing that can connect the two together without coming out completely awkward or falling apart. It's terrible. Infact, so terrible that I decided to just make my own standard, simply because I don't want to deal with this horrible piece of metal working.

SO MUCH FLASH! Jesus, I must've spent 10 minutes on each model slicing off the flash. I guess that's what I pay for when I get some amazing looking models. :(

I will say that the arms link up completely. It's probably the best I have ever seen! Much better than the Silver Helms which have two flat surfaces which you're supposed to just glue together. These actually link perfectly, it was a godsend.

The shields have no grooves! What's up with that? Every shield I have ever worked with from GW either had a hole or a groove in which to place the arm. These are just awful! When I actually glue these things to the models (after they're painted) I can already tell that I am going to have some trouble with them sliding or simply falling off.

No, what're some of your worst models ever?

Sherlocko
19-12-2006, 21:32
My Shaggoth keeps losing his wings everytime I transport him. Even tough, I might be the one to blame to put wings on a Shaggoth there.

Tili
19-12-2006, 21:52
^^ hehee..

The model I absolutly hate are (in no particular order):
-Chaos Spawn (even I can model it)
-Minotours
-Chaos Ogres (*shivers*)
-The Dark Elf Sorceress (Its just plane ugly)
-Morathi (same curse as the sorceress)
-The new Clockwork Steed (Necrons, anyone ?)
-Chameleon Skinks (they look silly)
-Orc Arrer Boyz
-Bone giant (I just just doesnt look that great)
-Bat Swarms (Altough I find them cute)
-Spirit Hosts (Why are they trying to hug eachother?)
-Drycha Branchwraith (It doesnt have that dynamic look like the other WE models)
-Warhawk Rider (Silly)

Remember this is just my opinion...

Rune of Death
19-12-2006, 22:04
the dwarf gyro-copter. it looks great, but it's a real bitch to mount.:mad: if it ever gets knocked around the roters come undone.:cries: i'm thinking of getting the old one and using it to game with.

Steel_Legion
19-12-2006, 22:32
bretonnian trebuchet, i swear that was built NOT to fit together, i had to cut bits here and there to get it to work, and the counterweight always falls off :(

Arnizipal
19-12-2006, 22:57
I've heard some bad things about the Tomb King Screaming Skull Catapult and Tomb Scorpions.

Apparently they don't fit by a long shot.

Revlid
19-12-2006, 23:13
The Scraplauncher.
No instructions.
Hundreds of bits.
Little, shiny bits of white metal.
Barely fitting Rhinox bits.
Big, hairy Rhinox bits.

Heehee. They called me mad when I said I was going to assemble one. Mad. But now I've done it. All done. No more. Heehee.

*rocks back and forth, giggling softly*

Finnigan2004
20-12-2006, 14:24
My bloodthirster's whip got snapped off (should have seen that coming), forcing me to cut his arm off at the elbow after he'd already been painted and then reattaching an axe from a minotaur lord. By the way, to any other khorne players, when your bloodthirster breaks like this (and he will), the axe from the minotaur lord fits absolutely perfectly.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
20-12-2006, 15:48
I've heard some bad things about the Tomb King Screaming Skull Catapult and Tomb Scorpions.

Apparently they don't fit by a long shot.I have to disagree with the Tomb Scorp model... it's quite excellent, with lots of subtle details to the model, plus it just begs for a coming-out-of-the-tunnel pose (I did...). The SSC I can see your point, although there are ways around this.

I have to go with the DE Warhydra (still planning my conversion). The heads are simply to large for the body, look nothing like the artwork, plus the body is too snake-like to go with those silly legs it has. Also, I have a beef with the Sorc on Cold One model. The Sorc has a hammer-smashed-face effect. Looks good from the right angle, from the wrong angle, it looks like total doo-doo.

Killshot
20-12-2006, 15:59
I don't like the current HE spearmen. The hands on the models are so huge that they could be considered great weapons themselves.

Jhayden: I recommend that next time you use superglue accelerator. They sell it at Walmart

Sherlocko: Have you pinned the wings on?

Jhayden
20-12-2006, 17:03
I don't like the current HE spearmen. The hands on the models are so huge that they could be considered great weapons themselves.

Jhayden: I recommend that next time you use superglue accelerator. They sell it at Walmart

Sherlocko: Have you pinned the wings on?

That's what I use :( It doesn't matter when the tiny bits without grooves simply snap apart when they fall over or are hit by a light breeze.

enyoss
20-12-2006, 17:19
Assembly-wise, my vote goes for the 4th edition Scyla model... I have never seen such a shockingly cast piece. The model looked good though :).

Outright worst model has to go to the entire High Elf plastics range... terrible, just terrible :(.

Cheers,

enyoss

The Dark One
20-12-2006, 17:40
building wize it's got to be the Hellcannon, the two (atleast one of them) barrel halfs are warped.

Diomedes
20-12-2006, 17:58
Going back into the anals of time I have to say the worst model to assemble I ever tackled was the great Imperial dragon.

HUGE dragon, all metal (came with a free knight model too) cost about £12 then probably would be more like £50 now. Lovely looking model too just heavy as hell and a b**ch to put together!

The wings were very heavy and would constantly fall off! tail had a hook on it and would routinely get stuck on clothing and come off.

I used it rarely on the table as the points cost was enourmous! and to be honest just fielding it would scare the pants off your opponent (well it could take out an entire army by itself) and it was very fragile.

I remember a wing coming off mid game and blatting a friends unit of plastic Dwarves!

phobia
20-12-2006, 18:30
I'm curious to know what about these models is making them "fall apart."

If the areas where you attach two parts together are very small, then I see it as a problem in the design of the miniature.

If the areas are not small, then you should be using something besides model glue or crazy glue to attach them.

Two part, 5 minute set, epoxy should prevent ANY two plastic pieces, two metal pieces, or 1 plastic piece and 1 metal piece from coming apart, ever again. Have any of you tried to stick the models with this stuff?

Of course, this is all just IMHO, and YMMV and all that. :D

Diomedes
20-12-2006, 18:47
I'm curious to know what about these models is making them "fall apart."

If the areas where you attach two parts together are very small, then I see it as a problem in the design of the miniature.

You just answered your own question as far as the Imp Dragon goes, pretty early minature (late 80's) and the moulds weren't the best, the slot to fit the dragons wing in was acutally smaller than the part wich was meant to slot into it.

I used Epoxy and it would hold for a while but very fragile mini, all it took was a knock!

Paulus
20-12-2006, 21:06
Nagash :wtf:

Paulus
20-12-2006, 21:07
I'm sorry I will try reading posts correctly in future, I didn't realise you meant worst to assemble, I thought you meant worst looking

Slayhem
20-12-2006, 21:18

Apparently they don't fit by a long shot.

I assembled a Tomb Scorpion two weeks ago and I didn't encounter any problems. FWIW etc.

Loi_Luis
20-12-2006, 21:45
worste models ever : gnobblars

enyoss
20-12-2006, 23:17
Going back into the anals of time

Sorry... just had to quote that :). Even time, so it seems, can get the odd surprise!

Cheers,

enyoss

Diomedes
20-12-2006, 23:19
Sorry... just had to quote that :). Even time, so it seems, can get the odd surprise!

Cheers,

enyoss

Didn't help that I had cold hands either! ;)

Hobgoblyn
20-12-2006, 23:40
I haven't had a wide variety of experience with various models, but the worst one I have ever tried to put together was the Greater Daemon of Slaneesh. The model did not fit together in any logical manner, as if they just randomly decided where to seperate it. It was badly weighted so that if you tried to glue any pieces on (and they were large pewter pieces) the thing would just fall down. The only way I managed to get anything on it was with greenstuff. Even then the model is far from stable and falls apart quite easily. Also, it is a horribly ugly model that really doesn't seem to synch with Slaneesh's theme much at all.

Reabe
20-12-2006, 23:48
All the Ogre Plastic models, and most of the metal ones. Yes, the way they've done the muscles are impressive, although how one has muscles on their arms but nothing but fat on their bellys is weird, but none of those models look like how they're described. They're described as monsterous creatures whose charges make the very earth shake below them. And what do they look like? Fat humans with grey skin and thin beards, nothing more. Heck, very few of them are even charging!

Diomedes
21-12-2006, 03:18
All the Ogre Plastic models, and most of the metal ones. Yes, the way they've done the muscles are impressive, although how one has muscles on their arms but nothing but fat on their bellys is weird, but none of those models look like how they're described. They're described as monsterous creatures whose charges make the very earth shake below them. And what do they look like? Fat humans with grey skin and thin beards, nothing more. Heck, very few of them are even charging!

It is possible to have heavily muscled arms and a big belly, just look at pro Strongmen, although that is changing now.

I haven't looked closley at the models but if the Ogres have "cut" arms (as in very visible definition and big veins) and flabby bellies then yes thats not really possible but then again Orges arn't human so who knows!

Question is though how hard are they to assemble?

The SkaerKrow
21-12-2006, 04:22
All the Ogre Plastic models, and most of the metal ones.
Seriously? Huh, I've always thought that the Ogre Kingdom range is probably one of the best model ranges that GW has ever put out for Warhammer Fantasy. As far as I know, the "normal" Ogres (not Gorgers or Yhetees) all sport Gut Plates, so you don't really get to see the muscular definition of their paunches. However, the book clearly states that the Ogre "gut" isn't composed of fat, but of additional muscles used for digestion.

samw
21-12-2006, 04:25
Seriously? Huh, I've always thought that the Ogre Kingdom range is probably one of the best model ranges that GW has ever put out for Warhammer Fantasy.

You're new so I'll let you in on the joke. You know the story of Moby Dick? Reabe's Ahab, Ogre Kingdoms are the White Whale. :p

squiggoth
21-12-2006, 07:27
I have a beef with the Sorc on Cold One model. The Sorc has a hammer-smashed-face effect. Looks good from the right angle, from the wrong angle, it looks like total doo-doo.

The Sorceress on Cold One looks like total doo-doo from ANY angle ..... she's one of Morley's finest achievements. :p

On-topic: I gave up trying to assemble the Craplauncher ... beautiful model, impossible to assemble.

The boyz
21-12-2006, 10:26
The two models that probably gave me the most grief, when it came to putting them together where, the Dwarf Grudge Thrower and the Empire Hellblaster.

Inkosi
21-12-2006, 15:02
Never liked the new edition chaos warriors.

You know, those with their furry little capes.

Yeah i know, i am probably one of the rare few who find them disgusting but i was attracted to warhammer by that chaos model in the 6th edition BRB and they are what i feel chaos warriors should look like.

Arhalien
21-12-2006, 15:06
For assembly I found the plastic dragon bad, although that was probably just me sticking the wings on before the arms (accursed direct order out of stock caused the sprues to be delivered separately)

Selsaral
21-12-2006, 15:06
I really hated the early horror (goofball) and daemonette (crab lady) miniatures, almost to the point of vomitting. I was reminded of how bad they were when the 6th ed versions came out. Both are fantastic minis and completely humiliate their earlier versions.

Warhammer Dude
21-12-2006, 17:24
I think most of the newer models are the worst GW has produced. Personally, I think the worst is the Wood Elf range.

Bortus
21-12-2006, 17:41
The Dark Elf War Hydra.

Justicar_Freezer
21-12-2006, 22:28
The hell cannon was terrible. I started to put it together and then gave up and sold it to a friend. Another one I found annoying is the bone giant. I think it's a fine model and I'm glad I have one but it's proving to be a pain to assemble
Ball and socket joints on an all metal model Why....WHY?!?!?!?!?!

zak
22-12-2006, 00:53
For any new comer. Stay away from the war hydra. I have been doing this hobby for 17 years and have coma accross some monstrosities, but this took the biscuit. The heads had to be individually pinned, but in a particular order otherwise they didn't fit. The necks had to be bent to fit and so that they didn't go lower than the legs. The body is badly moulded and needed heaps of green stuff. All in all I'm glad it's done and now painted is great. However, if I ever lose this one then the mark two isn't happening!

neXus6
22-12-2006, 01:48
I personally don't much like the Ogre Kingdom models either. Just the heads though, and I don't mind the fully helmeted ones. The tomb scorpions are another pet hate.

But nothing really touches the killer clown Lord Nagash. :p

Worse to put together, Bone Giant and Screaming Skull Catapult come joint first with ease for me.

exsulis
22-12-2006, 02:02
The old Dwarf Flame cannon is worse than a jigsaw puzzle with out any instructions :(

NakedFisherman
22-12-2006, 03:03
The Scraplauncher is easily the worst model to assemble.

GrandReaper
22-12-2006, 03:55
Scraplauncher! My fingers hurt for a week afterword, the rope from the winch looks slack (thank goodness I positioned the winch rotated forward too far as opposed to backwords) and if anyone EVER, and I mean EVER proposes long pewter chains that link in three places, shoot them.....in the head....with REALLY large calliber amunition. They had to be bent in several dimensions, leading to them breaking, leading to more points that had to be lined up. Ugh. (Love the look though. Every now and then I find myself looking at another one and thinking "if only...").

Rikkjourd
22-12-2006, 04:29
I didn't like the steam tank at all. Bought one cheap some time ago, it is still waiting for GS... Model is nice, trying to fit it together is not.

Poisonpen
22-12-2006, 05:08
I bought a scraplauncher about a year ago. I loved the model, oh yes; I took it home and opened it. The sight I saw made me put it away -far away. Only recently have I gained the courage to assemble the beast.

The amount of time invested in building this thing is as extreme as it is irksome. The number of pieces is maddening, they don't fit easily (or at all in some cases), many parts are too small to pin correctly, it is more fragile than a house of cards, and either there were no instructions or I lost them; in any event it was a jigsaw from hell!

The worst part: all this work and what will happen when I bring it out first game? CANNON! The S7 rule can bite me; I spent days of anguish on this **** -like I am going to let some half hearted pseudo-logic excuse for a rule ruin my day. I was in shock when they didn't take that rule out of 7th edition... seriously. WHY? :mad:

<The above statement may seem off topic, but in reality that just makes the model that much worse to assemble, since it will usually die turn 1 or 2 despite how much freaking infuriating work went into the model's construction!>

gORCUS
22-12-2006, 05:14
The Scraplauncher was an undertaking to be sure, but I prevailed in the end and I have the picture to prove it (see my signature). After the epic struggle of assembling and painting it, it's performance on the battlefield was somewhat of a let down (no cannons yet, just it's own bad temper).

ZeroTwentythree
22-12-2006, 19:41
I just assembled and painted some of the newer plastic Rat Ogres and thought they were pretty bad. The pieces fit together just fine, except that there are enormous and obvious joints and gaps.

The spines are obviously extra pieces, the flat spots on the sides of the torso are bigger than the shoulders of the arm pieces (and the fur stops short of the gap), the torsos are the closest parts but even they look kind of stuck-together. The worst, IMHO, are the two-piece heads, which have significant gaps along the entire length.

I put quite a bit of putty and time into them without really doing any "converting." I'm not sure how someone who's new to the hobby would handle these models.

While I'm at it, I've already got a bad feeling that the giant rats from the same set will not stay on their bases due to the very tiny feet that need glued to the bases (not to mention their feet getting buried by any careless base work.)

Although not an assembly problem, I'm disappointed that the beastmasters also look unlike any of the other skaven models in my army. They seem to sculpt skaven figures a few at a time, with different sculptors working on them, so that every new release has a different look and scale.

As a long-time skaven player, I'm very disappointed with the Clan Moulder boxed set.

BlackJuju
22-12-2006, 20:10
At the current range of the Skaven it must be the Skaven Stormvermin. So plain simple and generic and same with the Skaven Grey Seer, I prefer the old one with the dagger. Much more Skavenish. And of course the cubic abominations, Strigoi Vampires.

squeekenator
22-12-2006, 20:40
Boneripper. I've tried to e-poxy the join about 5 times now, and every time it falls apart when you touch it. Seriously, why must it join at the top of the legs? The top part weighs about 3-4 times what the bottom does.

ViperMagnum357
09-11-2007, 23:13
Never had many problems with fantasy miniatures, but I have had all sorts of trouble with pewter, expecially Tyranids. For fantasy, I've found dragons more fragile than they have a right to be.

Chaos Legion
09-11-2007, 23:23
I bought an ork dredd at games day 07 and spent most of the following night glueing my fingers together or fingers to bits of dredd! Im not a novice but the damn thing just would not stick!

Alathir
10-11-2007, 01:13
Some of the Bretonnian metal characters have terrible joints. But the worst model for me would have to the Screaming Skull Catapult.. I do not envy my friend who is going to assemble his soon.

Ethlorien
10-11-2007, 01:58
I'm terrible with wings. Morathi was a bitch (in every sense of the word), whilst my griffon (the old one that came with the nameless Empire general on it) took ages to get those wings staying on.

If we're talking beyond GW, then my vote goes to anything Rackham. Almost every model has tiny joints and teeny pin-points of connection.

txamil
10-11-2007, 09:12
I find the minotaurs extremely ugly, and the scorpion.

Crube
10-11-2007, 09:41
Looks wise, I say Nagash...

As for assembly etc, then Dragons are right up there, as are Necron Immortals....

Briohmar
10-11-2007, 09:54
The most dificult models I've recently fought with are the new Grail knights. Especially the standard. Even with pinning that mega mosnter weighs too much for the knight and horse. I bent the pin, and it eventually broke, that holds the knight to the steed. I guess he has to be glue on, or it just wont work. There goes another tray for my Sabol case. The rest have a ton of flash attached to the mail and tabard poritons that you can easily slice/file off resulting in poor final product.

gerrymander61
10-11-2007, 10:12
For me, it's the skaven clanrats. It's not that they're abysmally difficult to put together or anything, it's just that, for a huge hordey army like skaven, having your main troops come in 7 parts is ridiculous. Not to mention that dumb tail which makes modeling them to rank up a very annoying process.

Also, modelling them to look like a rabble takes a lot more thought and effort than orderly high elves or something who are all supposed to look alike.

Fredrik
10-11-2007, 10:35
Just a question of all those who have trouble getting the pieces to stick, how many do NOT pin? Just curious if it is still, with pins, hard to get some models to stay together.

iFelix
10-11-2007, 10:53
I found the "original" metal Land Speeder a real pain to put together.

Ward.
10-11-2007, 11:47
The leaning kroxigors tail spikes and flash removal, next time you see one ask to have a look at it and I can almost guarantee that some of them will be shorter then the others/ they
should be.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
10-11-2007, 12:00
My hardest was probably the dark elf dragon, so many pieces to work out and none of them fitted properly.

Then there have been things like shadowblade where the sword is so hard to stick on.

There are many more fustrating moments I've had with warhammer models but I'd have to think to remember them, too much like hard work. :D

Anardakil
10-11-2007, 15:18
Assembling the black coach :S

I think most of the newer models are the worst GW has produced. Personally, I think the worst is the Wood Elf range.

You're kidding, right? RIGHT?

RevEv
10-11-2007, 15:46
Worst model - the old High Elf prince on dragon (my fingers got covered in Superglue)

Worst, and most annoying, to rank up - Wood Elf bowmen.

gerrymander61
10-11-2007, 16:35
Worst, and most annoying, to rank up - Wood Elf bowmen.

I'm sorry but 150+ rats with tails and gorilla feet have to take the cake in annoyance to rank up.

last akodo
10-11-2007, 16:46
The hellcannon. I loved painting it but Hated assembling it. I painted it for a friend who then broke it ><. Hated fighting the damned thing too.

EmperorNorton
10-11-2007, 16:51
The worst I've had personally was a Treeman. One of his legs was about 10-12 mm too long to fit to the body, which I found quite remarkable for a miniature designed for a game with 28 mm scale. Thankfully, irregular looking tree bark is something even I can sculpt. Not sure if all Treemen are like this or if I just have been extraordinarily lucky again...

Although I haven't assembled one myself, I'm not a fan of the Tomb Scorpion, as I have yet to play a game against one in which it doesn't come apart.

The absolute worst are some Space Marine Devastators, though, which are not difficult to assemble, but impossible.

loveless
10-11-2007, 17:51
The absolute worst are some Space Marine Devastators, though, which are not difficult to assemble, but impossible.

Amen to that. *glares at metal lascannon marine*

Enoshima
10-11-2007, 18:31
My personal most difficult assembly would be the birdmen of catrazza (from the dogs of war).

I've yet to figure out how the hands holding the crossbow should fit on the body, they are simply a few millimeters too far apart.

I'm still looking for any replacement crossbowholding pair of hands :'(

Warlord Gnashgrod
10-11-2007, 19:56
I'm sorry but 150+ rats with tails and gorilla feet have to take the cake in annoyance to rank up.

I have to agree with you there. The current clanrats are too dissproportional with their big feet and hands. I hope they'll redo them with their next army book. Plus like you said they are very hard to rank up. I myself have cut half the tails in half to get them to rank up. It helps.

Rodman49
11-11-2007, 09:28
Agree with above poster.

Duke Raoul
11-11-2007, 14:06
One of the old metal giants was hard. My brother was working on it and gave up after an hour so I filled, pinned, glued and green-stuffed the bloody thing for the rest of the afternoon. The next day he played with it and owned me :(

spaint2k
19-11-2007, 05:34
The Skulz Iwo Jima Space Marine diorama was so difficult to assemble that I gave up and sold it on eBay.

Steve

Chris2358
19-11-2007, 14:11
Bretonnian Trebuchet, its so terrible even the manager at my GW store doesnt use them in his army, he uses battlecry trebuchets from the lotr range. I didnt even bother doing mine and just bought 2 assembled ones.

Muncher666
19-11-2007, 15:24
The Grudge Thrower is pretty damned terrible to assemble.

The classic Giant Scorpion (and in turn, I suspect, giant spider) is the worst thing in the world to assemble. I had to actually melt the metal to get all four sets of legs to fit in the middle of his body, as there simply wasn't the right amount of room for them.

The old treemen (not that I like the new ones that much) were god awful models, imo. The Ogre Butcher model is pretty **** compared to what can be done simply with the plastic models. I hate both the old and new Fey Enchantress models, she looks like the spanish enfanta from Blackadder. And finally, does anyone else think that the current GUO head is way inferior to the older one?

Allan.

The Warlord
19-11-2007, 15:55
Nagash, he is a real terror or a clown.

Rattlehead
19-11-2007, 16:13
The screaming scull seams to be the worst i ever tried to assemble. Right now, i'm covered in super glue after trying to assemble my second one. It's just a big pain in the a** -.-

Kadrium
19-11-2007, 18:30
Anyone complaining about assembling their army's war machine needs to buy and attempt a scraplauncher.

tortoise
19-11-2007, 19:06
The scraplauncher with its 3 pieces of metal that make up one long chain sounds abysmal to construct.

I can't really mention any really frustrating warhammer models (although 40k has some real pains- hello plastic landspeeder) but I can tell you that compared to Rackham models almost anything GW make is easy to assemble.

DarkTerror
19-11-2007, 19:29
I personally loathed the 5th Ed. Slann. Was it supposed to be some cruel joke to make he saurus bodyguards seperate from the arms supporting the heavy slann mage?

The model was also ugly. Bloated female Orc anyone?

W0lf
19-11-2007, 19:50
Worst models ever?

Without a shadow of a doubt the Gyrocopter and steam tank.

Both are butt ugly and shouldnt be allowed anywhere near fantasy.

Kadrium
19-11-2007, 20:01
Yhetees could do with a serious re-sculpt.

Muncher666
20-11-2007, 00:06
I personally loathed the 5th Ed. Slann. Was it supposed to be some cruel joke to make he saurus bodyguards seperate from the arms supporting the heavy slann mage?

The model was also ugly. Bloated female Orc anyone?

I loved the giant bored froggy. He was awesome.

Allan.

Orgussv2
20-11-2007, 01:24
Worst model ever?

The ugliest I've ever seen has to be the old genestealer patriarchs/broodlords. Seen here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Orgussv2/ugly.jpg

They're just so ugly! I can't even seem to like them when they're painted well! A true sign of hating a sculpt.

The most frustrating to build? That'd probably have to be Necron Immortals for me, at least for GW made minis.

I loathe gluing the arms on considering the horrible weight distribution between them. But even more so gluing the tip of the gauss cannon on after it's painted and putting the green rods in at the same time. I've never made that bit look really good, because its just a tiny flat surface that bonds the two pieces together....

Thats why I've been putting off building mine for so long.

Count Sinister
20-11-2007, 01:43
The Bretonnian Trebuchet simply does not fit together. There are sockets in the uprights through which supporting struts are supposed to go, and there just isn't room. Once you've filed the hell out of the thing to get the bits to fit, the size is way off on each side, so there are always gaps. And the counterweight attachment is sheer lunacy.

That said, the Dwarf gyrocopter is a real pain as well. Whoever imagined that the rotors could be attached with that little space to pin them was insane. I did manage to pin the thing, but had to basically resculpt the point where the rotors meet with green stuff.

And I agree with the post about the plastic rat ogres. HUGE, HUGE gaps. Terrible model.

I'm sure there are more that I've blotted from my memory, but that's what comes to mind right now.

Finnigan2004
20-11-2007, 01:58
I do not know if it counts because it is privateer press, but trying to assemble the cyclops from Hordes is just ridiculous. You need to put it into a two handed stance, and both arms need to be posed at once with the sword. The guy at the store said it was a little tricky, but I think his word choice was a little too weak. I should have put more stock in the upraised eyebrows.

Orgussv2
20-11-2007, 03:02
I completely agree with Finnigan. Some of the Privateer Press models are just ridiculous.

The Spined Beast from Hordes is the worst I've encountered so far. Notably because nothing fits together properly. NOTHING. When I put all the legs on (It has 4) the two front feet made something close to a 90 degree angle with each other. Bending the legs proved ineffective, so I was forced to make a mound of green stuff for him to perch on. I was very dissapointed.

PeWpWnsJ00
20-11-2007, 05:15
I agree the Trebuchet was a pain to put together...

The most difficult model EVER to assemble by GW... the 2nd edition 40k Hive Tyrant. Not only did it come with hundreds of pieces that didn't join properly, the entire 2 pound upper body joined the entire 2 pound lower body by a spinal column similar to the current plastic skeletons! It just plain old sucked.

Ugliest model goes to the Dark Elf Sorceress on Cold One. The worst part is, you can't even convert the ugly bitch enough to make her look good or mount her on a steed. Her saddle is sideways and enormous, her hair is half the model and looks like an 80s metal band singer and her face looks like a banana with a nose and some eyes.

bluey
20-11-2007, 07:04
worste models ever : gnobblars

WHAT:confused:

Gnoblars rule!!!!!!!!!!:D

great sculpts

Ugliest model goes to the Dark Elf Sorceress on Cold One. The worst part is, you can't even convert the ugly bitch enough to make her look good or mount her on a steed. Her saddle is sideways and enormous, her hair is half the model and looks like an 80s metal band singer and her face looks like a banana with a nose and some eyes.

that made me laugh!!

bluey
20-11-2007, 07:08

that made me laugh!!

sorry about the double-post:o

daemonkin
20-11-2007, 09:48
I may have used an entire GW superglue (cowspit) container when I put together the store's screaming skull catapult. That thing was a nightmare to assemble!

D.

Sir_Turalyon
20-11-2007, 10:01
Trebuchet for me. As Sir_Glonojad once said, while assembling it becomes obvious it is creation of artistan and not enigineer - both in miniature and game background sense ;).

Salyx
20-11-2007, 10:33
I haven't assembled my whole deamon cannon yet, it's just hell to put this thing together.So many single parts that are sharp and spiky and it will just glue to your hands...
maybe on a boring afternoon I may have the patience t assemble it^^

Jedi152
20-11-2007, 11:11
The classic Giant Scorpion (and in turn, I suspect, giant spider) is the worst thing in the world to assemble. I had to actually melt the metal to get all four sets of legs to fit in the middle of his body, as there simply wasn't the right amount of room for them.
The classic giant spider was awful. My friend went through a phase or ordering and building classic stuff every week, and using it for roleplaying. The spider legs simply wouldn't fit in the gap. You could fit three pairs at most, four sets was impossible. His spider has 6 legs to this day.

I'm just bad at assembling stuff in general. The grail reliquae made me tremble, and i gave up on the black coach - i fear that i may have to build my own trebuchet from balsa wood.

But you want bad, try the first generation Heresy Netherlord. You practically had to sculpt half of it.

Count Zero
20-11-2007, 11:46

god she is horrible, i had to GS a nappy thing for her so she could sit on a steed, it was such a chore to paint her too, no motivation as she is soo bad, had to be done tho.
i am sure GW just rushed her out. and no one would seriosuly mount her on a cold one ayway. just another flaw i gw's DE range.

TzeentchForPresident
21-11-2007, 09:12
Assembly-wise the Lord of Change was a nightmare. Heavy wings, long thin limbs. On the bright side when it was done I had graduated in the art of pinning, and I had bought myself some nice tools and a small drilling machine.

Think I tried out 3 types of Epoxy glues as well, not to mention chemical and mechanical stuff to remove failed gluing. The pieces didnīt fit that well either so green stuff was my best friend for a while.;)

Cirrus the Blue
21-11-2007, 09:45
The Bretonnian Trebuchet simply does not fit together. There are sockets in the uprights through which supporting struts are supposed to go, and there just isn't room. Once you've filed the hell out of the thing to get the bits to fit, the size is way off on each side, so there are always gaps. And the counterweight attachment is sheer lunacy.

That said, the Dwarf gyrocopter is a real pain as well. Whoever imagined that the rotors could be attached with that little space to pin them was insane. I did manage to pin the thing, but had to basically resculpt the point where the rotors meet with green stuff.

And I agree with the post about the plastic rat ogres. HUGE, HUGE gaps. Terrible model.

I'm sure there are more that I've blotted from my memory, but that's what comes to mind right now.

Empire Steam Tank has this problem in SPADES!! I saw a red-shirt need to open 3 (three!!!) freaking boxes to put together ONE as almost NONE of the pieces would fit together whatsoever! :wtf:

Also the old Blood Bowl Orc Cheerleaders. Those flappy pancakes went right to their freaking knees!! :eek: *retch*

Oo also the 'Cyber Mastif' for the new Necromunda Enforcers. The damn thing didn't look like anything!!! I'll post pics later of the one I converted (fullsculpted) which actually looks the way it's bloody well supposed to. :p

- Cirrus

Cirrus the Blue
21-11-2007, 09:52
Anyone complaining about assembling their army's war machine needs to buy and attempt a scraplauncher.

hahaha Well said! That thing was freaking frail even with pinning! Tried one of those. And only one. It looked really nice when it was done, but what a pain in the ****...

- Cirrus

Kadrium
21-11-2007, 15:12
hahaha Well said! That thing was freaking frail even with pinning! Tried one of those. And only one. It looked really nice when it was done, but what a pain in the ****...

- Cirrus

I've tried getting the thing together a few times. So far the only pieces that have met with lasting success is the part where I glued the rhinox to the base. Everything else has fallen apart within minutes.

I'm at the point now where about once a month or so, I get the box of launcher bits out, poke it gently a few times, sigh, and put it away again.

Mercules
21-11-2007, 16:06
I keep pulling Skrag out of his box, placing his upper half on the lower half of his body and looking at the HUGE GAP between the two. Either I need a big file or to buy a lot of green stuff. I am even having a hard time lining up the two and figuring out what is what. I think I might have to use some inking to determine if that section is apron, or what and how it lines up.

Kadrium
21-11-2007, 16:12
I keep thinking my gorger's right arm must be from a different model. The shoulder joints don't even remotely come close to matching up.

Dwarf Runelord 45
19-12-2007, 03:48
The gyro-copter it never ever stays in place the runners always fall off. The Goblin Hewer is bad too the axes always bend easily.

Axis
19-12-2007, 07:42
amen on the clanrats. In terms of ranking up temple guard are pretty bad. Though maybe my friends are totally retarded...

SirRickles
19-12-2007, 21:56
Assembling the black coach :S

You're kidding, right? RIGHT?

I witnessed my cousin put together one. There were a whole lot of "God damn, What The ******?" and "God damn, Why the ******?" touted that day

as for me, I had a lot of difficulty with the 3rd edition tyranid hive tyrant. The head kept falling off. I heard the tyranid Red Terror is the absolute worst of them all.

SirRickles
19-12-2007, 21:59
Also the old Blood Bowl Orc Cheerleaders. Those flappy pancakes went right to their freaking knees!! :eek: *retch*

HAHAHAHAHAHA
well I don't think Orc females are supposed to be anywhere attractive to human men.