PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarfs: Do you toss 'em?

2_heads_talking
19-12-2006, 23:24
I was reading the White Dwarf feedback thread, when I noticed something that got me thinking;

one of our esteemed colleagues mentioned that he now tosses away his White Dwarfs when he's done with them, while others have said that they do the same.

Now, I've been collecting White Dwarfs since issue 214, and while I have dropped off since issue 300 (when it all became a bit... crap), I have kept every issue that I ever purchased. For me, its a fantastic way of going back over background and tactics, great battle reports that really gripped you, and generally magazine content that made you feel content after you read it.

So, my question to you is: do you keep your White Dwarfs, or chuck 'em away like an old glove?

luckyguy
19-12-2006, 23:45
I keep them. I periodically go through old ones for inspiration, old battle reports, whatever.

Panzer MkIV
19-12-2006, 23:47
I still have all the White Dwarfs I've ever bought for every reason already given, thought I've stopped buying after that Giant issue

forthegloryofkazadekrund
20-12-2006, 09:15
there is sometimes a few things in them which make them worth keeping, ive been buying since the early 100s i suppose its just habit now

Keravin
20-12-2006, 09:23
Nope got them all back to 50 (Minus that brief epic period before the card era of WD).

idinos
20-12-2006, 09:48
I recently threw all of them away and there were lots. I was keeping them for some articles, but then it dawned on me that I never actually went back to read the articles, so off they went!

The game is afoot
20-12-2006, 09:57
I used to toss them, now I don't have to,haven't owned one for 18 months.

Voronwe[MQ]
20-12-2006, 10:01
Why should I toss them? There is no reason to do, as far as I can see.

Why should I keep them all? Collective purposes gets into it, but mainly because I goes back to them frewuently and hunts for all manner of interesting articles. Hell, I'm currently in a period of buying older White Dwarfs from the local video store. :)

Voronwe

Ohman
20-12-2006, 11:00
;1160034']Why should I toss them? There is no reason to do, as far as I can see.

Why should I keep them all? Collective purposes gets into it, but mainly because I goes back to them frewuently and hunts for all manner of interesting articles. Hell, I'm currently in a period of buying older White Dwarfs from the local video store. :)

Voronwe

What videostore would that be? And how old are we talking?

Griefbringer
20-12-2006, 11:37
Newer throw them away - if you don't need them, sell them, there are lots of people collecting older White Dwarfs.

I am personally going to pick 15 more WDs (from the 90's) to add to my collection tonight.

scarletsquig
20-12-2006, 11:47
I toss *on* them... well, actually just on that one issue where the LoTR section started with a full page Arwen pic with the brastraps showing :D

You know the one ;)

EvC
20-12-2006, 11:56
Ewww TMI!

I used to keep all of them, and in fact I found some older ones (Well, late hundreds) in my dad's car a while back, then next time I visited he said he'd cleaned the car out (After 5 years of it being half-filled with junk), and so I lost those issues, grrr!

But now I'm my own man (Well, an eternal student), and I've had to move about four times in the last two years, and carrying around two or three additional heavy boxes does not appeal, so I've thrown most away. I kept ones that I particularly enjoyed, or had a certain army list, but I have chucked and I will chuck.

Dwarf Supreme
20-12-2006, 18:18
I've kept all of mine. I don't have all that many (about 50) so they don't take up all that much room. I periodically consult some of them, almost 20 years later!

RobC
20-12-2006, 18:52
I have all mine. I bought WD (or, to be more precise, had it bought for me) from 1991 to around 1999, then received a sub (can't remember how) from 2001-2002. I've also picked up a load of pre-100 WDs from eBay, mainly for old WFRP stuff but also as an archaeological exercise - Pre hegemony GW seemed ace! I began to understand why so many old-time gamers still resent GW for their shift away from the wider industry.

I would never chuck a WD. I'd sooner give it away than throw it away, and with eBay I don't see any need to do that. Someone will take it off your hands and pay the p&p - and what do you have to lose as long as the final sale value meets the listing fee?

Reabe
20-12-2006, 23:21
I'm slowly going through my collection (Starting roughly around the 280s) and cutting out all the articles I'll find useful. Then I'll throw the rest away.

By the way, I'm interested in hearing the number of the issue with that afore mentioned Arwen picture to see if it's worth the legendary aura around it. :p

Crazy Harborc
21-12-2006, 00:55
I've got them for the lifetime of 6th Edition. I started "unloading them" At the beginning of new WHFB editions when 5th Ed. was released. Had WAYYY too much shelf space taken up by dust covered, old, old (and out dated) WDs.

Sadly, there is a large, heavy moving box FULL of WHFB rulebooks, armybooks and magic suppliments for 4th and 5th Editions wasting a good section of basement storeage shelf space:eek: I mean...I mean...maybe GW will bring back 4th or 5th edition.....and...and...I'll be ready:rolleyes:

the_dark_sarge
21-12-2006, 01:04
i keep them for inspiration for things like golden demon
also i just like flicking through them every so often

straightsilver21
21-12-2006, 04:33
i keep em, i tend to go back and use older ones before the 300 for fluff references, especially the IA articles.

Aundae
21-12-2006, 06:00
When I used to collect them I would read through them and if they had a good how to article or something, I would keep it. Otherwise garbage.

chromedog
21-12-2006, 08:08
Before I moved house the last time (into the about to be mrs's place), I had around 190 issues filling up a bookshelf. In order to minimise the crap that was moving with me, i went through them all and selected the ones that had more than one article that appealed to me. These were put in the keep pile.

The ones that had the odd article/feature that was of interest, had those pages removed with a scalpel, the remains, tossed into the resyk bin. Any that were no longer of interest to me, were simply, and unceremoniously dumped into the resyk bin as well.

I now have 50 or 60 issues.

* 'Resyk' is where we put all of our paper materials for recycling. It's also what they refer to biological recycling in Judge Dredd.

Christine
21-12-2006, 09:30
I keep them, otherwise how else would I know what the proper warpaint is for a bareheaded aspect warrior?

Bloody Gauntlet
21-12-2006, 20:27
I keep them. I periodically go through old ones for inspiration, old battle reports, whatever.

So do I. Besides, I keep everything GW - I'm a collector. Why toss'em if I have room to keep'em? And if not, well, I'll make room! ;)

dax
21-12-2006, 20:34
I still have every White Dwarf I ever bought starting somewhere in the 100s (although I haven't bought one in a long while now). They're mainly gathering dust can't remember the last time I opened one. Gonna be moving house in February and they won't be coming with me so its time to put them in the bin.

Gen.Steiner
21-12-2006, 21:30
Nope. I've every single Dwarf from 200 to current, with a few extras pre-200. :)

Lots of fun, and fantastic reading when one is ill in bed!

Diomedes
21-12-2006, 21:36
I started buying them in 87 and I stopped begining of 2005 (don't ask me issue numbers wouldn't have a clue!) and I still have them all.

I like to look at the older ones for the nostalgia factor and revisit them and flip through them all the time.

hereticdave
22-12-2006, 20:29
I've got from about the 150's on so what'd that be 1990 or so? I forget.

I keep them as before mentioned for nostalgia and i also liked the uncluttered style the older wd's had. Of course there's the 'glory days' of the 160's to 210ish where they churned out a lot of good stuff and even now i go back and reread them. Good articles and quality, informative and tactical battle reports - what more could you want?

As for now, pfff i've only brought the last few because i'm a die hard Eldar nut other than that they're rubbish. I heard someone call them catalogues before and to be honest thats pretty much spot on.

Deadshane
22-12-2006, 20:39
I would keep issue 324 US edition, its sure to be a collectors Item.

(there's a pic of me playing on pg 133 at adepticon last year!):D :D

General Samuel of the 101
23-12-2006, 02:04
i have purchased only 2 white Dwarfs,one 3 years ago and i found the Mag to be(currently) a big piece of Rubbish,the other one is most recent,the one with the Free Minies ;)
if they Packed Free minies as standard in the Mag,i could get a Lifetime subscription
just kidding.....

The boyz
24-12-2006, 17:29
I generally keep my old issues of WD. Well up to a certain amount, then I get fed up with them taking up to much room and I chuck them all out for recycling. However I have not bought a WD for a thew months now, so I know longer have the problem of running out of space.

Light of the Emperor
24-12-2006, 17:37
Barring a few, I have all the WDs from 240 onwards. They are great to look at for inspiration and background...and to figure out how to paint eldar gems for the upteenth time :rolleyes: .

Angelwing
24-12-2006, 22:23
any i used to have got given to younger siblings. i only own 2 now.

Arch-Traitor Horus
24-12-2006, 23:09
i kept all mine i have every issue from when i started when eldar n battle fleet Gothic appeared to the current one

Gorgrim
25-12-2006, 22:26
* 'Resyk' is where we put all of our paper materials for recycling. It's also what they refer to biological recycling in Judge Dredd.

WAAAAAYYY off topic here, but I used to call it the "Resky" when I was a kid and it wasn't until I was much older and reading my old 2000AD's that I realised I was reading it wrong and the whole thing made a lot more sense.

Back on topic, I still have all my WD from issue 135. I am looking at them in their nice little white boxes now, next to my computer. I like to flip through them every now and then a remember the 'good old days'.

Just like my old 2000AD's.

Sir_Turalyon
02-01-2007, 20:29
I keep all WDs I buy, but now when you asked I realised I have habit of throwing away freshly read WDs - later to find them and put them on the shelf. Disgust, maybe. It's a new thing, I wasn't doingg it two years ago.

cybertron2000uk
02-01-2007, 20:36
I cut up a few old ones up....waste of time....gotta keep em all!!

I love reading them over dinner....yum...

index astartes Ive read a billion times over dinner...
I never get fed up of reading them issues....

Id wish they do more on the hardly mentioned excomie chapters...or is that that asking to much???

index xenos is soo dull....its soo poor...its not worth the page...

Captain Brown
02-01-2007, 21:04
I keep them; I did cut up issues 102 through 192 (only keeping the articles I was interested in) and then regretted it later (I find I rarely look at the binders they are stored in any more - while I do look at old issues fairly often). Other than those damaged by flooding I have kept all of them.

CB