PDA

View Full Version : The most Crucial Thing in 40K: Scenery

Carlos
20-12-2006, 12:22
Does everyone make the effort these days? Ive fought over carefully constructed battlefields as well as the inevitable piles of books/upturned mugs some players get by with and was curious how other people stand on what I see as one of the more crucial aspects of the game.

To me, fluff and nicely painted troops pale in comparison to a scenic battlefield. I have:

+A Multitude of small and large hills carved from blocks of polystyrene with a hot stanley knife (cooker flame is good for this)

+Loads of Craters made from an old recipe a friend gave me years ago for a salty dough-like substance that goes rock hard when you bake it in the oven.

+Far too many random pieces of polystyrene just broken up and sprayed black for ruins

+A Cave/archway type thing flocked green

+A Plateau made from several lumps of polystyrene glued to an old cardboard box

+Loads of lego stuff, including a landing pad, a naval base and a large bridge

+A fortress I am halfway through making.

+An old Christmas tree cut up to make woodland. It looks really cool when you stick the branches into flat polystyrene and cut the edges down to make woods.

Everywhere I go or work I am always on the lookout for interesting shapes of polystyrene to use as buildings/corridors and other such things.

Greatoliver
20-12-2006, 12:36
I am trying. Put it like that. I agree that's it's nice to fight on a well made board (includes scenery) and it does make the game much better.

Though, getting it to that standard is difficult. I've got some plywood to make a board, and some polystyrene to get some scenery going but it hasn't been touched...

...Why? Because the army comes first - I've recently had my birthday and I've got a fair amount of minatures to paint so it won't be touched untill they're all completed...And by then I'll have more mini's to make/paint.

Also, a lot of places you go to fight have their own scenery. GW Stores always (correct me) have scenery and a lot of large gaming clubs do as well. I think that the emphasis is on the armies and not the battlefield, though CoD helped with this...

You've got a nice collection there. I would like to have that kind of effort and time to make things like that but I don't, unluckily. And, I do the same with the last statement - and so do my parents (!). If they find a bit of whatever, they'll say "Will this be good for scenery?" and I'll say "Yeah, okay" and go and horde it somewhere. ;)

Scenery is important.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
20-12-2006, 12:48
I tend to put alot of effort into my scenery, but it also gets used/made for film-projects too, so it gets two solid uses out of it.

Here is one of my favourite pieces :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/BlilabShrine6.jpg

cav da man
20-12-2006, 13:00
Does everyone make the effort these days? Ive fought over carefully constructed battlefields as well as the inevitable piles of books/upturned mugs some players get by with and was curious how other people stand on what I see as one of the more crucial aspects of the game.

To me, fluff and nicely painted troops pale in comparison to a scenic battlefield. I have:

+A Multitude of small and large hills carved from blocks of polystyrene with a hot stanley knife (cooker flame is good for this)

+Loads of Craters made from an old recipe a friend gave me years ago for a salty dough-like substance that goes rock hard when you bake it in the oven.

+Far too many random pieces of polystyrene just broken up and sprayed black for ruins

+A Cave/archway type thing flocked green

+A Plateau made from several lumps of polystyrene glued to an old cardboard box

+Loads of lego stuff, including a landing pad, a naval base and a large bridge

+A fortress I am halfway through making.

+An old Christmas tree cut up to make woodland. It looks really cool when you stick the branches into flat polystyrene and cut the edges down to make woods.

Everywhere I go or work I am always on the lookout for interesting shapes of polystyrene to use as buildings/corridors and other such things.

Scenery is good, without decent scenery it doesnt feel right.
Oh and btw your "salty dough-like substance" is actually called salt dough....amazingly!:D Its basicly a childrens home made version of clay/playdough and from personal experience the rich salty taste beats the crap outta those artificial things.

TCUTTER
20-12-2006, 13:57
i am restarting my hobby loving ways, before i even have an army im making two battle fields, a cities of death board(made from both gw boxes and custom built stuff) and a waste land type board, to me scenery is the most important thing ever, its got far more character then people give it credit, "how did that aquila get shot down?" "who was on board?" "this building looks like a hell of a place for a last stand" and what not, plus if your not using the cod rules the scenery is indestrutable unlike say that 200 points of a daemon prince...

Luke
20-12-2006, 14:07
You gotta have scenery for 40k. The game just does not work without it. I try and cover at least one quarter of the table with scenery per game. I used to have desert board many many years ago where I would scatter around a load of those polystyrene trays you used to get in boxes. A quick coat of flesh was and sorted. These days I usually just take a place mat and some araldite and go to work gluing down everything from pringles cans to yoghurt pots as well as hexagon/plaformer/GW kits.

Dead good. Who likes playing on a green field? Not me. Even in fantasy we usually have some sort of ruined abbey or large wood to fight in/around.

Deadite
20-12-2006, 14:09
It really doesn't take much to have decent scenery. GW has ready-made scenery available. Woodland scenics offers a wide variety of terrain features.
And frankly, you don't need much to throw down on any table. Just one sheet of polystyrene foam (1" thick or so) that you can purchase for as little as $3 US can decorate an entire table (4'x6') with hills and rocky outcroppings. If you plan ahead, storage isn't a problem either... you can get most features to fit in 1-2 crates or other good sized boxes (my company has tons of leftover boxes for paper reams (10 to a box) for example)

Gaebriel
20-12-2006, 14:50
We have a nice collection of scenery half self-built, and half bought plastics and resin. It's not enough in my eyes, well, not enough to make for different tables each game.

And yes, making terrain should be easy. And it doesn't take much. Strangely, my group loathes making/buying terrain even more than it loathes painting their armies. Everything we have comes from one person, and as soon as that stopped, that was it - I doubt we'll see more :(

Spook101
20-12-2006, 15:47
Scenery is good, very good. It makes it seem more realistic and therefore much more fun.

Light of the Emperor
20-12-2006, 16:37
Scenery, to me, is just as important as a painted army. I've built at least 30 game tables and have two in my basement (SEE my sig!) Good scenery makes the hobby more rewarding and helps bring the game alive.

Its very easy to make good scenery. Get a board or polysytrene sheet as a playing surface and cover it with either a grass mat, the GW cityfight mat or a snow blanket. Get some trees either from GW, hobby stores, craft stores and glue them on some thin mdf board. Paint or flock the board to match your mat. Throw in some ruined GW buildings or hedges and you have the perfect table.

Carlos
20-12-2006, 17:11
Yeah, one of my friends got the cityfight mat but then covered it in trees to make a cool-looking arboretum for us to fight over.

Alaryel
20-12-2006, 17:16
Yes scenery is important and FUN !

These days I am trying to recreate the guerilleros village from the movie Predator.
Great theme for my kill team games !!
It's (or it shall be) a fortified village with lot of jungle around and scenery with special rules.

I just find a good miniature pick-up car to do the same scene in predator when Arnie put a set of explosivein the pick-up then push it directly throught the guerilleros barracks.
With special rules and a good game master I enjoyed a great Catachans kill team against Mordians game ! It was a cross-over between Predator, the Dirty Dozen and Rambo II.

Wow this was fun :)

Stormbringer
20-12-2006, 17:35
You gotta have scenery the game is just boring without it. Making scenery for the game is one of the reasons i do tabletop wargames. Not to mention building your own scenery is cheaper than buying GW's cities of death sets. Its pretty easy to do it yourself. I build my ruined buildings out of foamcore cut by a x-acto knife. Then spray paint them with roughcoat. I still got six more buildings to go for a full city. I also got my trees from a local model train/hobby store.

(Evil)Ash
20-12-2006, 18:24
I love making terrain, but hate painting it. so we usually fight on planets that are made from polystyrene :rolleyes:. I do have a whole cityfight table painted. and it is indeed a lot more fun to play with painted terrain, but I rather paint models instead.