PDA

View Full Version : Thousand Sons or Emperor's Children?

Max_Killfactor
20-12-2006, 13:20
This Friday I am going to start a new 40k army (DE are getting stale) Iím trying to decide between the Thousand Sons and the Emperorís Children. First Iíll summarize why I like or dislike them and then I have some questions about each and your answers would really help me decide.

Hereís what I like (+) and dislike (-) about each army:

Thousand Sons
+ Very different from Dark Eldar
+ Doesnít rely on the demonbomb like other legions do
+ Main opponent plays Death Guard and other friend might start Space Wolves
+ Good background, real reason to dislike the Emperor
- Will need Rhinos to get into range if Chosen of Ahriman are not widely accepted
- I hear they are pretty terrible rules-wise

Emperorís Children
+ Pink and Black
+ Good in combat and good in shooting (I think)
+ I could get about 1000 points for free (generous friend)
+ Fulgrim effectively killed the Ultramarineís Primarch
- the demonbomb style seems to be the most effective, and is too close to DE style (WWP)
- Their background isnít as good as the Thousand SonsÖ they basically just killed civilians instead of fighting a Loyalist Chapter during the HH.

Hereís some questions:

1) Which is more common?
2) Which relies less on rhinos/land raiders?
3) Can a non-demonbomb EC army be effective?
4) Are the Chosen of Ahriman accepted in most games?
5) Can a shooty, infantry-based EC army do well?

Thatís it. Iím really torn and hopefully your input will help me decide.

Griffin
20-12-2006, 13:38
Right:

1) Generally speaking (though it depends on your area) EC are more popular.
2) Thousand sons tend to rely more on Rhino's as they suffer (or benefit) from Slow and Purposefull.
3) Daemon Bomb EC is Deadly if executed correctly especially when using the Minor Slaanesh Powers
4) Chosen Are up to your opponent but generally yes they are accepted as they cost to much for what they do.
5) A mid/Close range EC army is very powerfull if you look at their sonic weapon profiles - but don't look down on Warp scream either.

Phyros
20-12-2006, 13:43
I'd say forget about which ruleset is better.

Go with the army that appeals to you visually,would be more fun to paint and convert, and which background you like better.

Or you want to think about the rules, pick the one that you feel would be challenge to play, rather the one you know will roll over your opponents. If the army is a challenge to play, you will feel like you have earned the victories, instead of starting off winning each one with no effort at all.

Kjell
20-12-2006, 14:09
The Emperor's Children are easily the most well-rounded of the power-specific Legions. They can do everything! Plus, you really don't have to do a daemon bomb army to be useful. A firepower-based infantry army would work perfectly well. The basic Noise Marine is essentially a deluxe Chaos Marine. They're better at hand-to-hand, shooting and they won't run at all but they're more expensive.

Thousand Sons... If you like them you can make them work. Sadly they're the most limited out of the Cult armies and possibly even one of the most limited armies in the game. But they do look good and it can really only get better from here. Well, it's not very likely to get any worse...

Anyway. Phyros speaks the truth.

Gearux
20-12-2006, 14:14
EC are most like DE, both fluff and tactics wise. Ultimatley I would take Phyros' advise and do what ever army you want to do.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
20-12-2006, 14:31
Emperorís Children
+ Pink and Black
+ Good in combat and good in shooting (I think)
+ I could get about 1000 points for free (generous friend)
+ Fulgrim effectively killed the Ultramarineís Primarch
- the demonbomb style seems to be the most effective, and is too close to DE style (WWP)
- Their background isnít as good as the Thousand SonsÖ they basically just killed civilians instead of fighting a Loyalist Chapter during the HH.

Hereís some questions:

1) Which is more common?
2) Which relies less on rhinos/land raiders?
3) Can a non-demonbomb EC army be effective?
4) Are the Chosen of Ahriman accepted in most games?
5) Can a shooty, infantry-based EC army do well?

.Actually, I'm starting an EC army with all "infantry" models (some DFlight Possessed and maybe a Dreadnaught aside, all models will be SM/Term models). Remember that the sonic weaponry tends to have two profiles depending on firing style, so you could potentially do an effective shooty EC army... but I would still build it around an assaulty army.

As far as Chosen of Arhiman, it's been in WD so if you have the copy available for your opponent to go over the rules before (best time to get "permission") or during the game (when you drop the bomb).

I had considered using a Slaaneshi-heavy army with some TSons here and there, and may do that in the future. But fior now, it's EC all the way.

PS, you don't HAVE to do pink and black... I'm not, at least not the whole army. My army theme is a megatour, so each "band" will have its own look and style... eg, the Deaf Leopards (if you don't get the reference, I can't help you) with extensive use of animal print-looking armor plates. and so on...

Minos Engele
20-12-2006, 14:39
If you truly want to something different from your DE then I'd suggest the Thousand Sons. They play very differently. Though it's true that their rules are very very limiting. They can be effective but it's difficult.

The EC on the other hand are more effective ruleswise. They do everything normal Chaos SM can do but do it better. The only downside is that they cost a lot more points and have almost no extra survivabillity. (warp scream does help alot in combat )

You could try to mix these two. An almost perfect DP with the mark of Slaanesh, too obsessed with sensations to notice his Tzeentch Sorceror plotting against him.
Couple of Rubrics in rhinos racing towards the opponent supported by Noise Havoc squads. Squad of Noise Bikers racing towards the enemy dropping a Squad of deamonettes.

You woulnd't be able to use the Chosen of Ahriman though.

Max_Killfactor
20-12-2006, 18:21
Thanks for all of the input guys. Iíve decided on Thousand Sons. Since the main purpose of starting a new army for me was to try something different, I think they are a better choice. Thousand Sons are about as different from Dark Eldar as you can get.

The main thing holding me back was that they donít look too hot on paper, but I think I can do all right with them. I like their background more and they have a very unique lookÖ. besides if I want to win I can always go back to my DE army. :cool:

Thanks all, now I just have to decide what to buyÖ

nightgant98c
20-12-2006, 18:28
If used right, Thousand Sons can be very good. They are slow, but tough. And they can still shoot 24" while moving. Plus their Terminators have two wounds too, which is just not right.

Gearux
21-12-2006, 01:58
Excuse my ignorance, but what are chosen of ahriman?:confused:

zendral
21-12-2006, 06:40
Excuse my ignorance, but what are chosen of ahriman?:confused:

Rules in White dwarf that are mainly used for a small eye of terror based campaign. It's a new Tzeentch HQ unit. Its basically 1-3 chaos leutenants taken as an HQ choice. They automatically have the mark of tzeentch and are also equiped with the gate psychic power. It works just like viel of darkness and the gate power for 13th company. Thus being capable of warping other thousand son units (and son termies) around the table.

The problem is......you do not need opponents permission to use them when using them in said campaign....but you still need permission for any other game. There is a statement in the article that says that the rules are perfectly fair, but still need permission.