PDA

View Full Version : slugga boyz vs stikkbommas

Groksnag
22-12-2006, 11:16
Somefinks been nagging me about ork armies. practically everyone takes hordes of slugga boyz, but i have yet to see anyone pay any attention to our little friend the stikkbomma. the only difference between sluggaboyz and stikkbommas is that stikkbommas cost 1 point more, and dont have choppas, and can only take 2 mobs. I personally think 1 extra point for basically the same soldier but with bombs is way worth it. even if they dont have a choppa, they have a cc weapon. so why does everyone like sluggaboyz so much more than stikkbommas? please lift the veil and enlighten me!

nanktank
22-12-2006, 11:34
It's just that the majority of armies out there are marine's and choppa's do nasty things to power armour, frag stikk bombs you dont know when you'll use them, krak stikk bombs, well IMHO your better off getting a mob of tankbusta's for CC against vehicles

Grimtoast
22-12-2006, 13:16
It's just that the majority of armies out there are marine's and choppa's do nasty things to power armour, frag stikk bombs you dont know when you'll use them, krak stikk bombs, well IMHO your better off getting a mob of tankbusta's for CC against vehicles

^^^ sums it up perfectly from my experience.

lachlin
22-12-2006, 13:18
True, Tankbustas are better than stikkbommas at handling armor. The slugga boy is better for all around krumping. If you assault terminators with stikkbommas, they still get their save. Throw some sluggas on the termis and their save is dropped. Space marines and MEQ HATE the choppa special rule.

Helicon_One
22-12-2006, 15:04
Stikkbommaz are just the most visible casualty of the fact that frag and krak grenades are a bit rubbish, really. They're sometimes an ok thing to have if specific circumstances crop up, but rarely something you'd go out of the way to have, and not worth spending extra points on to have instead of a choppa.

Tim

EVIL INC
22-12-2006, 15:49
If you play a lot of gaurd armies and you have the extra cash, might be worth it to buy 2 mobs of them for those occasions. Otherwise, forget it

gitburna
22-12-2006, 15:59
A list of situations where sluggas are not as good:-

Against Guard [Sentinels, Chimera chassis, usually necessary for guard to make good use of cover therefore frag grenades come in useful]
Against Tau [throw enough s6 even at a skimmer and it'll go down at some point...] The frag grenades are also good for when it comes time to assault the gits/chickens from behind their barricades/trees. Most of the infantry is 4+ armoured or lower. If those fisheads stay sat in their flying karts, its also nice to have something to be able to have a fight with. Slugga armed boys would never do a thing, at least the stikkbommas can stuff grenades into the engines and such like.
Against WitchHunters [While they dont have quite the impact of slugga boyz against sisters themselves, their vehicular support is all very shortranged, and theres less in terms of long range fire so you can concentrate your own shooting against their troops.
Against Uvva Orkses :- Light vehicles, light body armour, Killa kanz. Theyre almost a perfect troop.
Against Dark Eldar Plenty of light vehicles plus lack of armoured troops = good choice.
Against Eldar. Most of the aspect warriors and troops are armour 4 or lower. They also fly around in lots of light skimmers/warwalkers...
On heavily terrained tables or Citys. Fighting the same time as Marines/Meqs beats hitting last but with a choppa...
While not as effective as Tankbustas there are considerably more of them so it takes longer/more effort to kill the squad.

Gitburna

Groksnag
22-12-2006, 17:14
but you can give stikkbommas tankbustas bombs for only 2 points each. imo its way better than tankbustas. lets see, 20 tankbustas or 60 stikkbommas with tankbusta bombs. Ill take the stikkbommas anyday.

RampagingRavener
22-12-2006, 18:18
Or two mobs of 10 Tankbustas, each with 4 Rokkits, that won't get slaughtered as they charge blindly towards the enemy Tanks. To be honest, I can't see that many times when Stikkbommaz are of any use apart from Cities of Death. Slugga Boyz are better in combat virtually all of the time as well as being cheaper, Tankbustas with Rokkits kill tanks better at range and will be cheaper than a mess of Tankbusta bomb weilding Skikkbommaz...

I just don't see any reason to take them unless you're playing a non-MEQ player in Cities of Death.

studderigdave
22-12-2006, 18:55
i never even consider stikkbommas for any list i make with my orks. gotta have mt 4 mobs of 30 slugga boyz

nightgash
22-12-2006, 23:03
Stikkbommas dont get the mighty choppa that reduces saves to +4

gitburna
23-12-2006, 09:31
Or two mobs of 10 Tankbustas, each with 4 Rokkits, that won't get slaughtered as they charge blindly towards the enemy Tanks. To be honest, I can't see that many times when Stikkbommaz are of any use apart from Cities of Death. Slugga Boyz are better in combat virtually all of the time as well as being cheaper, Tankbustas with Rokkits kill tanks better at range and will be cheaper than a mess of Tankbusta bomb weilding Skikkbommaz...

I just don't see any reason to take them unless you're playing a non-MEQ player in Cities of Death.

Stikkbommas can take rokkits too, and they'll likely be shooting way after a mob of 10 tankbustas has been turned into green pieces...The only way i get my tankbustas to survive these days is by keeping them hidden for a few turns:- which is probably not the greatest of uses for them. While I dont use stikkbommas with with tankbusta bombs i should probably try it out some time, another big mob in the main assault line armed with light-medium vehicle busting weaponry should allow me to concentrate my rokkit fire against slightly heavier targets.

As for being better in combat "Nearly all of the time", they're better against MEQS sure, but guard,tau,eldar,dark eldar,orks,sisters make up a significant proportion of armies. These days the sluggas dont do most of the damage in my games anyway, they tend to be bullet catchers for the most part.

I'd say against any army with a lot of light vehicles/walkers that you can get good mileage from stikkbommas.

Goq Gar
23-12-2006, 09:46
Sluggas all the way. Stikk bommaz are just one of those units that are seen as "not useful enough to take", like pathfinders.

Latro_
23-12-2006, 10:08
stikkbombaza are a total waste of points, a rubbish unit that no one should ever take. Losing the choppa and costing more! its silly. Frag and krak stikk bombz are rubbish also. They hark back to the days when GW priced grenades at a high cost, since they every iteration of a new codex has seen grenades slashed in cost.

I should think in the new codex orks will come with stikk bombz for free.

lanrak
23-12-2006, 17:00
To be fair the current Ork codex apears to be a lackluster ,thrown together at the last minute kind of codex.

'We cannot be bothered to include what should be in the codex so we will take one unit choice and make it into 3.'

Ork Boys.
Can be armed with ,shooters.OR sluggas and choppas.
May take frag ,and or krak stikkbombs/ tankbusta bombs .
All at the appropriate PV upgrade costs.
(Like so many other codexes..)

This would have left room for more interesting unit options ,Tankz and guntrukks,for example.

Lets hope the codex we have been waiting years for ,has had a bit more thought put into it...

But as orks are not the poster boys of GW ,I doubt it very much..