PDA

View Full Version : All Airborne Guard?

xibo
22-12-2006, 14:24
Hi...

I got the idea to build up an all valkyrie/arvus mounted guard (=cadian) army. I wonder what others think about this? Anyone ever done that?

Steel_Legion
22-12-2006, 14:46
Pretty sure it has been done, and its a great idea, only costs... alot. at £85 per valkrie and the fact only storm troopers can use them, kind of limits the army, i believe commanders can use an Aquilla, dont know if basic infantry platoons can take anything, so if it were grenadiers, it can be done, otherwise its kind of hard, could just drop troop them i suppose

xibo
22-12-2006, 14:54
Yeah but 3xKasrkins, 3xStormtroopers, Command HQ in an Arvus.... that might already be 1500-2000 points :D

t-tauri
22-12-2006, 14:55
Elysian drop troop list from Imperial Armour 3. Just use Cadians instead of Elysians. Makes it a bit cheaper.

Destris
22-12-2006, 14:56
I'm doing it with the Elysian Drop Troops, 10 Valkyrie (have 2) and a lot of various squads, nothing land based heavier than a Sentinel.
Steve

Cheredanine
22-12-2006, 15:04
IA3 contains rules for 23rd Elysian - an army list, it uses fairley close to standard doctrine based IG, all units can deep strike or take Valkyries as transports, no tanks, but vultures and imperial aircraft are HS, minimal heavy weapons, demo charges in every squad (I will say that again for terminaly stupid - deep striking demo charges in every squad :))

IA4 (cheaper) contains army list for D-99 - an Elysian veteran company (dragon company of 99th Elysians) which was formed from the remenants of the 99th regiment, veteran squads as troops, too complicated and wraought with copyright/IPR to recount but again Valkyries for every unit are possible

IA1 contains rules for Valkyries, vultures and Imperial Navy aircraft, with these rules, Valkyries are transport choices instead of Chimera for any IG army, therefore you can play standard codex IG, take the mechnaised doctrine and play the sort of army you like

But - I play Elysians, Valkyries are pretty naff, they lack much in the way of fire power and cost a lot of points, their ability to drop off your troops

a) costs you turns of shooting - pretty naff for IG which tend to be shooty based
b) is very vulnerable - even if you dont engage VTOL/hover mode you have to stand a trun of getting shot at byt your opponent before you escape

If you read IA3, you will find details of operation Commet and find it is fluffy for your main force to deep strike (drop troops) whilst your assault elements (storm troopers) go in low in valks

Personnaly, from experiance, deep strike everything, use the vultures for fire support

Chered

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/Cheredanine/IMG_0051.jpg

MrBigMr
22-12-2006, 15:17
Pretty sure it has been done, and its a great idea, only costs... alot. at 85 per valkrie and the fact only storm troopers can use them, kind of limits the army, i believe commanders can use an Aquilla, dont know if basic infantry platoons can take anything, so if it were grenadiers, it can be done, otherwise its kind of hard, could just drop troop them i suppose
With Drop Troops, you can take Valkyries for any squad. It's stated in IA vol. 1 that Stormtoopers and Drop Troop regiments can use it.
I'm constructing a Drop Troop regiment with one or two Valkyries, sentinels and one or two chimeras.
The Valkyries will cost less as I'll be modelling them myself from various other pieces. I had my eye on the dropship from Aliens. It costs only $50 bucks and is 1/72 scale. But I've done some calculations and it should be enough large to take a 10 man squad and fit a pilot (maybe sentine one) in the cockpit.

Necrontyr
22-12-2006, 16:30
I'm working on one similar to that,
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61482
I only need to get 2 Valkyries, and the list is ready for playtesting.

Clang
22-12-2006, 19:49
if it's just the LOOK of an airborne IG army you like, there was a very nice converted army in WD a few years ago from someone who made flying Chimera etc (using Land Speeder bits, as I recall) - it still played as a normal IG mechanised army, but it looked way cool.

inq.serge
22-12-2006, 19:50
See my sig. (44th):D

chaos0xomega
22-12-2006, 21:05
I'm doing this too. In my discussions with many, many people, it seems there are two groups when it comes to all valk armies: They are way too good, unbeatable, and it's users should be drawn and quartered; and that they are too weak, too easily beaten, and it's users should be drawn and quartered.

Personally, I say go for it, just be cautious on how you go about it. I would personally recommend that you refrain from deploying your troops in the first few turns, and instead use the Valks and other air support thingies to provide some fire. Specifically Valkyries armed with Hellstrike missiles(or whatever their called) and anti-tank vultures. You will find that Drop-troop armies seriously lack anti-tank capability.

MrBigMr
22-12-2006, 22:53
You will find that Drop-troop armies seriously lack anti-tank capability.
I've had few ideas on that subject:
1. Rough Riders.
5 man unit with somesort of jump packs (I was thinking about using the WASP gear from Starship Troopers), melta-bombs and 2 meltaguns. Fast, mobile and cheap. Can crack pretty much any tank and pay their points back with interest. Anything that is cheaper than them, can be cracked with lighter weapons.

2. Heavy Weapons Squad on a Valkyrie.
Fly in and drop the troops. As they're deployed on the enemy's turn, you're free to fire on your own. Few lascannons or missile launchers there to spice things up a bit.

I also plan to use Support Sentinels with missile launchers.

Subtext
22-12-2006, 23:01
Mmmmhhh Airborne Guard I just love their Style, too bad flyers are so expensive otherwise I would start one myself. And don't forget to play Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" when ever you set up your army.

inq.serge
23-12-2006, 13:23
And don't forget to play Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" when ever you set up your army.

Gonna do that:D

chaos0xomega
23-12-2006, 23:11
'I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like... victory.'

A cookie and braggin' rights to anyone who can tell me where that's from, and why I quoted it.

Black Mage
24-12-2006, 00:33
Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore played by Robert Duvall uttered the quote
love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... in the 1979 movie Apocalypse Now. Kilgore was the commander of the air cavalry, and suitably represents what the idea of Airborne Guard are.

MrBigMr
24-12-2006, 01:17
'I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like... victory.'
You're not the only one.
http://www.choppingblock.org/comics/cb20021125.jpg
Also reminds me of a 40K larp few years back.
I had a can of Emperor Beer, "Tastes like victory".

A cookie and braggin' rights to anyone who can tell me where that's from, and why I quoted it.
And anyone who doesn't know it, will be stuffed inside a bag, hung from a tree and beaten till there's grey matter leaking out.