PDA

View Full Version : The long or the short of it...

Gaebriel
22-12-2006, 21:31
Forgive my mutilation of an english saying... :D

So I wondered, how long does a game of 40k last in your group, and how long would you want it to last? Short, crisp 1,500 games, long-driven 3,000s? Or, behold, everlasting 1,500s or quickly played 3,000s?

I sometimes wonder about people muttering if an opponent takes too long for their turn. I enjoy really long casual games, with slowly circling of the gaming table, having a cup of tea all the while evaluating the current positions, enjoying the setup armies and scenery, probably pondering tactics loudly with your opponent or bystanders. We had standard 1,500 games that lasted the better part of a sunday afternoon.

So, what's your pace?

ReDavide
22-12-2006, 21:34
From the start of terrain placement to putting my last model back in its case, about 3 hours per 1500 points.

So usually 1 game in an evening, though if I hurry I can usually fit two.

nanktank
22-12-2006, 21:34
Well usually in my local tournament, we get 2 1/2 hours to finish a 1750 point battle, I do remember once back in second edition games taking considerabley longer.

Luke
22-12-2006, 21:44
A typical 1500 point 2nd ed battle would last the best part of a whole evening. 4 or 5 hours. Of course this was back when I actually drunk beer like it was water, didnt care about being a lard **** and was generally content with myself. These days a 1500 point battle takes us 2 hours or ther abouts. Alcohol free beer is consumed sparingly if at all, and I am usually depressed about my alopecia, lack of funds, dodgy work hours and general state of the world. I will win a game one of these days.

Until then I can take comfort in knowing that for 2 hours, one night every other month when the moon is waning, I can sort-of relax and watch my lovingly painted space marines get slaughtered by the guy I should probably consider my best mate.

xibo
22-12-2006, 21:50
na, guess how long it takes you to move 300 chaos cultists or even more guardsmen through difficult terrain, and those mini counts are pretty common at 3000 games...

hiveminion
22-12-2006, 21:51
It takes me 4 hours approx. to finish a 1500 point game with a friend, including terrain placement, deployment, looking up rules in rulebook, random ranting, eating, drinking (no alcohol though) and dancing and whooping like mad monkeys when we're lucky.

EDIT: oh yeah I play 'Nids. Probably plays some part too.

xibo
22-12-2006, 22:07
Usualy it takes me about one hour for 750, two and a half for 1500 and the whole evening for a 3000 pts game, including table setup, rules lookup, rules discussion/errata browsing, rules interpreting, ...
..., threatening my aspiring champions what I'll do with them if they decide to run away once again, ... , and finaly packing up everything again.

The_Outsider
22-12-2006, 22:32
In my local GW (namely on vets night) the average 1500 games takes about 1 1/2 hours from setting down the models to packing them up on average.

Pertinax
22-12-2006, 22:44
We generally clock in at 1500 points, and about 90 to 120 minutes.

psykochiken
23-12-2006, 00:42
I have done alot of lengths/ points (below 2000pts)

but prefer lower points for quick fun games

ShadowKitana
23-12-2006, 03:14
Generaly my games of 1500-2000 run about two hours. Even quicker with escalation as I have nothing to field.

Reflex
23-12-2006, 03:23
how long is a piece of string?

Ravenous
23-12-2006, 03:32
Depends on the player. I can go against one of the kids(even the 30 years old ones) at the shop and it will take 2 hours or more because all the distractions they create.

Or if I play one of the fellow vets we can have a 2000 point game done in 45min.

It depends on their level of maturity and dedication to a game that and consideration to other players that want to get a game in.

nightgant98c
25-12-2006, 02:47
I don't care how long a game lasts, as long as we are actually playing ( i.e. moving, shooting assaulting, and checking rules when neccesary). If someone keeps getting distracted, or whatever, and makes it take longer than it should, then it's a little annoying. I have only run into this at the store I sometimes play in, not among my friends.

Seth the Dark
25-12-2006, 02:52
I remember the most horrible experience in a 40k game. It was at a tournament and we are given 2 hours to finish an 1850 pt game, but my opponent took so long that we managed to only complete 2 turns!

Rypher
25-12-2006, 03:17
Ah, time constraints. I hate when I sometimes have to include a fellow player into a now 3 way game since there is no one else for them to play...then have them get distracted and drag the game on MUCH longer than it should.

However, if I play one of my friends at our store, we normally play 2k and get it done within 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

If we play at 3k, we just had a tournament that has a variation on Escalation and Sustained Assault rules, 10 turns, and can be done in 2 hours as well.

; D

nightgant98c
25-12-2006, 03:38
Time limit tournaments are great against guard players. You only have to hold out for two or three turns, hen time's up. I had an especially good one with a guy who had alot of mortars (3rd ed. rules). Not only did movement take forever, shooting did too.

Ravenous
26-12-2006, 06:09
I remember the most horrible experience in a 40k game. It was at a tournament and we are given 2 hours to finish an 1850 pt game, but my opponent took so long that we managed to only complete 2 turns!

Thats actually a tactic some people use and its frustrating as hell. I had a necron guy go through his first 2 turns quickly then when he realised that I was closing in on him it started moving painfully slow. He started questioning every rule and stat in my army.

I managed to get him half way through the bottom of turn 5 (he went second) when time ran out and then claimed turn 5 for both us doesnt count, which is understandable. Just very very annoying.

Corrupt
26-12-2006, 11:11
We take about 30min per 500pts of game, not including setup
This doesn't include necessary impressions of troops screaming/cheering/gloating or other on topic jokes to make the game that much funner.
These generally add about 15min to the game time at the end

fracas
26-12-2006, 13:06
in a tourney i think that time limit counter is a good idea

The Song of Spears
26-12-2006, 16:17
The games i play can take anywhere from and hour to 6 hours depending on what armies are playing (khorne vs. nids is usually a very quick one no matter how many points we play)

but really, i dont care how long they take. as long as the other guy is nice, and fun to talk to we can putz around and talk about whatever, and kind of use the game as a excuse to hang out. then there are those guys who treat every game like its a GT game, and while its fun to get a challenge, i usually want to get those games over with asap as the other guy is usually not interested in anything but the game anyway.

Kahadras
26-12-2006, 18:37
I usualy find that it depends on my opponant. I use Space Wolves so I find that set up and movement is quite quick for me. I know my codex and the BGB well so I rarely need to stop to check things. Most of the focus is then on my opponant. If he plays quickly and isn't inclined to talk much then I can usualy get the game over in 90 minuites.

If its with a mate who likes to chat a lot or against someone who has a 'slow' army (like infantry heavy Guard) then it takes a bit longer (usualy 3 hours plus). Normaly I'm happy to play at the pace my opponant is used to playing at.

Kahadras

Ravenous
27-12-2006, 06:35
Agreed the only time comes into play in friendly games is when your at a store and there are other people wanting to get a game in.

Goq Gar
27-12-2006, 07:58
Our conjoint army 10000 vs 10000 (ten thousand) took the better part of two days to finish. Our side was technically victorious by having the larger scoring unit in the right area.