PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Treekin model

Chris_Tzeentch
22-12-2006, 22:29
Hi all,

I am currently building a rather nasty looking Evil Tree Spirit army. I have 8 treekin in the army, as ruleswise they are excellent. However, the models are awful.

Can any of you suggest alternative miniatures to replace them with??

Thanks

Mordu22
22-12-2006, 22:46
Use Treemen as treekin models. then model your own treemen that are enormous. That would look awsome. who cares about money:rolleyes:

max the dog
23-12-2006, 02:18
You could try green stuffing your own. You could also use green stuff to make a conversion that looks better that what's in the blister.
Personaly I always envisioned that the tree kin is an overgrown dryad but GW seems to believe they look like a mini treeman.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
23-12-2006, 05:00
The Treemen from 5th ed were on 40mm bases, much like the treemen are today. They are more thickly built and have a monstrous stature. Unfortunately there are only two variations of this model (excluding the old durthu) but greenstuffing will go a long ways to having multiple variations on them. I would recommend these, especially for an evil forest spirit army.

EDIT:
I would have linked the model although it appears there is no Wood Elf section in the Collector's section. Sorry, I'll search it on Ebay.
Here's Durthu: http://cgi.ebay.com/Warhammer-Wood-Elf-Durthu-The-Treeman-Vintage-New_W0QQitemZ160064292445QQihZ006QQcategoryZ109241 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's a normal one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marauder-Miniatures-painted-Wood-Elf-Treeman_W0QQitemZ180039553566QQihZ008QQcategoryZ31 400QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

By, the way, these are just random ones I found so I could show you the image. I'm not endorsing these or anything of that nature.

Killshot
23-12-2006, 06:26
You could try Black Tree Design's Entlings. I don't know how big they are, but you maybe able to get a sample from them.

http://www.black-tree-design.com/btdcat.php?ctry=uk&lng=gb&rangenum=1&typenum=4&qty=0&sub=&shp=&tot=

Iron Buddha
23-12-2006, 06:57
You could try those new lotr ents, they look like they might fit on a 40 mm base, and they look fairly decent.

Bregalad
23-12-2006, 12:58
I don't know what your ideas for ideal treekin are. But there are many treemen miniatures, even evil ones, that are of current treekin size (like the old GW treemen and the fen beast!).

There is an evil tree in the Horrorclix starter box (WizKids) and some more (evil) treemen/wood elementals in Mageknight.

There is a tree Demon from Ilyad games and an evil tree from Micro Art Studio plus a druidic plant warrior from Magnificent Egos. Masquerade Miniatures has a mean looking treeman.

There are also some plant monsters called shamblers or shambling mounds from different RPG miniature ranges. Can't search pics right now (am on holidays with a notebook and bad connection), but you should find everything I mentioned quite easily.

god octo
23-12-2006, 14:15
i think that Bingo the Fun Monkey and Bregalad's ideas are best- use the old 5th ed treeman models and a smattering of fenbeasts. They should look perfect.

At the mo, im using the treekin models, i think they are fine, but im also using my old 5th ed treeman model as the eldar for the unit.

Chris_Tzeentch
27-12-2006, 20:44
I don't know what your ideas for ideal treekin are.

I think my ideal treekin would be a larger scale dryad basically.

darkprincewilson
28-12-2006, 14:06
What I am planning to do with my Treekin when I get them is to use a fair bit of mossy flock on them to cover the ugly parts of the sculpt and attempt to give them a bit more dynamic of a look.

Highborn
29-12-2006, 00:39
I've made mine out of dryad bits to make enormous looking dryads -

Cut the dryad bodies at the feet (easy), knees (not so easy) and hips (hard, and not essential. Drill as deep as you can and use paper clips to wire them all together, extending each joint by about 2cm. Do the same for the head, and file down the sharp point at the top of the body where the head is supposed to rest, to a round neck. Use GS to fill the gaps, building it to just short of the bulk that you want. Let it harden, then put a final layer of GS on, which you can add a bark-like detail to.

For the arms, there's some of the back elements that look like hands. I use a mix of those and the real arms - typically two pieces used per arm (although each is down to about 3/4 of its original size after the cutting's done).

Some of the joins need superglue, especially trying to get the wire to stick in the dryad's foot.

It's a bit of work, but it's cheap and you get some really dynamic looking models.

Voltaire
29-12-2006, 03:25
Fuzzy classic Pink Horrors was what came to mind when I read the topic title. Their pose was very Tree like if memory serves.

Chicago Slim
29-12-2006, 16:08
I'm using the 5th ed Treemen (four of them, one with his arms posed differently, which takes a lot of green stuff to do), plus a Fen Beast as the elder. It's a pretty decent look.

Resculpting Treekin from Dryad plastics would be a real challenge, but probably a lot of fun.

Psychodelica
29-12-2006, 16:33
I'm planning on building treekin with spare parts form my Dryad sprues. Make them bigger and put twice as many branches and stuff on them and you'll have slender, horrific, elegant and saucy treekin instead of a pile of driftwood. ;)