PDA

View Full Version : Robes on assault marines

redbaron998
24-12-2006, 02:01
AM making a medival themed (non BT) assault army featuring ALOT of assault marines. My question therefore is what do you think of using the new DA robes for my assault marines? Them cathing fire isnt a problem as you could just say they are nonflamable but do you think it would look good? How about BT robes?

UnRiggable
24-12-2006, 02:15
Problem with robes and jump packs is that the robe will be stationary but the motion of the mini sais that hes moving. Youd have to model them so that the robes are kind of blowing away.

liamrob
24-12-2006, 02:31
Yeah you'd rather model them yourself even though it might be hard if u haven't used GS before. Same thing as what unrigable said. They'll be stationary and the model will show a sense of speed.

So IMO make the robes urself.

Marshal2Crusaders
24-12-2006, 02:37
Situation A: you could model them so it looks as if they are already stuck in and not flying

Situation B: You could mold them but make sure you have hard corners like the GW stuff or u will look like you sneezed on your models

Situation C: Use only the DA robes that are open with running legs, if you buy enough sprue youll have robes for everyody in your army and enough running robe legs

I am going to use the DA robes in my temps cuz they look bad ass

max the dog
24-12-2006, 03:33
I can see robes on veteran squads but not assault squads. The jump pack alone adds a lot of stuff to the back. The addition of the robe might just make it look like you're packing too much on.
Somewhere I saw somebody put his assault marines on flying base posts. It looked pretty awesome. You might want to try doing that.

Seth the Dark
24-12-2006, 03:35
Wouldn't the robe be a hinderance to Assault Marines?

Goq Gar
24-12-2006, 05:01
Wouldnt they look like a unit of supermans? Wouldnt that look amazing!?

stonefox
24-12-2006, 05:17
Wouldn't the robe be a hinderance to Assault Marines?

Nah. I'm pretty sure that's what makes them fly.

redbaron998
24-12-2006, 05:52
What about BT robes? They are more dynamic thant eh DA robes

rrchristensen
24-12-2006, 07:40
Yeah you'd rather model them yourself even though it might be hard if u haven't used GS before. Same thing as what unrigable said. They'll be stationary and the model will show a sense of speed.

So IMO make the robes urself.

on that note, the original poster should check out www.flesheaters.net . In the Gallery section under HQ, there is a Death Company with jump packs and GS robes. Though I am not a fan of marines in robes, I think they are very nicely done.

Onisuzume
24-12-2006, 08:42
I've planned to make an robed assault squad before I knew about the new DA codex.

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
24-12-2006, 13:29
First - in medival age knights used tabards not robes for god sake !!!!!!!!!!!

so if you want make dark age assault squad/yay/ AVOID robes and use BT tabards instead or home made tabards

if you want just assault marines in robes your choice :)

scwolf
24-12-2006, 16:25
Can I count kung-fu as a close combat weapon?

harlequin21
24-12-2006, 16:33
Wouldnt it:
A) hinder their movement and,
B) wouldnt the robes burn as a result of the back wash from the jump pack?

But it would look pretty cool IMO, best idea is to model the robes with GS to get the "i can fly aswell" effect rather than the (mostly) stationary DA robes

Allarion
24-12-2006, 16:41
B) wouldnt the robes burn as a result of the back wash from the jump pack?
read the original post...

redbaron998
24-12-2006, 16:55
The flesh teares website was really nice and actually exaclty what i would want...unfortunately I have never worked with Green Stuff so very much doubt I could do that.

BACK ON TOPIC: The question now is how do you think BT talbards would look on them

Angelus Mortis
24-12-2006, 17:35
You know, Assault Marines are not always in flight. As a matter of fact, they spend the majority of their time on the ground. That being said, I have used DA robed marines for my Angels of Retribution Assault Squad Sergeants. And it looks fine. I just looks like any other Assault Marine except hes not in motion. This penchant for saying "they have to look like they are moving" IMHO is ridiculous.

Sandlemad
24-12-2006, 18:58
I think BT tabards and such would be the better choice on assault marines. That is, of course, assuming you will be modelling them in flight or at speed.
It would remove any qualms about their feasibility (getting caught in the engines, too bulky, etc.) and would be much easier to model movement on.

Marshal2Crusaders
24-12-2006, 19:38
Ud have to use the BT robes with the dynamic flowing for the feeling of ovement the other two are just as static

Daleran
24-12-2006, 21:25
If you want robes make robes :D I think robes look great, and the issues with realism people are bringing up are total nonsense...after all you are talking about modelling something on a futuristic superhuman giant in armor who fights aliens right? The robes are a futuristic non flammable substance if you want them to be!

stompzilla
24-12-2006, 21:52
Super Kevlar!

redbaron998
24-12-2006, 22:38
Well look at the Adamantine Mantle. Are you gonna tell me a cloak can stop a lascannon where Power Armor cant.... like he said super kevlar

Also a thought, Since I am taking Blessed be the warriors I will have 2 kinda assault marines both in my list and in my fluff.

Them being the Melta-bomb carring (lower) marines and the FC (elite) marines, I could have the lower on the ground stationary like they are engaged and the elite on small flying bases with wind swept robes chargin/flying into combat like those flesh terring ones...minus the fangs..although I have to say the fangs on the men and the chaplain helm look awesome

Onisuzume
26-12-2006, 12:00
First - in medival age knights used tabards not robes for god sake !!!!!!!!!!!

so if you want make dark age assault squad/yay/ AVOID robes and use BT tabards instead or home made tabards

if you want just assault marines in robes your choice :)
Angelus Mortis squad. :p
Complete with Hoods, Swords(not the chain variaty), Combat Shields(for style) and a Scythe (power first) for the vet serg.