PDA

View Full Version : Empire Bright wizard fig

Brother Ranz
26-12-2006, 16:56
I usually love GW figs, but this fig looks like a reject from the Talisman or Battlemasters line. I didn't find a link but it's the one advertised in WD. The bad figure is in the Empire Army box set. Maybe it was created to help sales of the oop Bright Wizard?

DeathlessDraich
26-12-2006, 17:29
Never seen an oop Bright Wizard but it must be pretty dire! lol

kyussinchains
26-12-2006, 20:41
it's an awful model, when will GW realise that flames just cannot be sculpted? the tzeentch disc rider sucks for that reason, but at least it doesnt look like a stupid hedgehog

Cypher
26-12-2006, 21:18
Yeah I agree. Some of my favourite classic models are the old Empire wizards - the character and designs are just fantastic. This new one just looks silly.

der_lex
26-12-2006, 22:33
The model's actually not that bad when you see it, it's just the over-the-top orange paintjob that GW gave it that makes it look horrid. I also expected it to be really bad, but I was pleasantly surprised when I opened my army box and actually saw it with my own eyes.

Then again, I might have completely different tastes, since I think the Tzeentch disc riders (the regular and the limited ed one) are the best models in the entire Chaos range...

kyussinchains
26-12-2006, 22:35
I've never seen the limited edition disc rider m'self (link anyone?)

I just think that the sculpted fire doesnt look like fire, watch how a fire burns, the flames arent all triangular, and a huge part of fire is the flickering nature of it all.

I just dont think it looks like fire at all!

der_lex
26-12-2006, 22:47
Link for the Tzeentch disc rider:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45905

75hastings69
26-12-2006, 23:11
Flames can be sculpted well, IMO the Privateer Press Hordes Pyre Troll is an exmple, I agree with the Wizard comments though, the whole sculpt is pretty poor not just the flames, what is that staff all about??????

Capt. Kaihara
26-12-2006, 23:40
I like it when GW takes risks. Some people don't like the model. I know many others that do. In fact, if you have one that you just *hate*, I'll buy it because I know others who will pay top dollar for it.

kyussinchains
27-12-2006, 01:11
I'm loving the limited edition tzeentch champion, much better than the lame normal one

cyrus
27-12-2006, 11:51
I usually love GW figs, but this fig looks like a reject from the Talisman or Battlemasters line. I didn't find a link but it's the one advertised in WD. The bad figure is in the Empire Army box set. Maybe it was created to help sales of the oop Bright Wizard?

hahahaha I was thinking exactly the same thing...

Neknoh
27-12-2006, 11:55
Herhermm.... ¤cough¤

¤kracks fingers¤

KAMEHAMEHAAAAAAAAAAA!

lord_blackfang
27-12-2006, 12:46
Is that the "OMG I'm on fire I'm on fire!!!" wizard from the army deal? I think that's supposed to be an imperial scare tactic, actually.

"Oh my god, the enemy is setting their own wizards on fire to show their utter contempt for us!"

sigur
27-12-2006, 14:36
I also don't like this miniature much I have to say. GW definitly should stay away from modelling "spell effects" onto mages (as well as they should avoid floating non-tzeentch mages).

Griefbringer
27-12-2006, 16:18
Is that the "OMG I'm on fire I'm on fire!!!" wizard from the army deal? I think that's supposed to be an imperial scare tactic, actually.

It might also be intended to show what happens to a wizard who wanders around on his own when there are flame cannons or warp-fire throwers in range. Hmmm, there could be some diorama potential with the later.

Freak Ona Leash
27-12-2006, 18:50
"Oh my god, the enemy is setting their own wizards on fire to show their utter contempt for us!"
...Best idea for a Flaggelant ever. No really, someone has to convert a Bright Wizard or two or twelve into flagellants or something...

Griefbringer
27-12-2006, 18:53
Now that is a fine idea for flagellants - you could have one of them pouring oil from a barrel, while another one helds a torch ready! :skull:

Freak Ona Leash
27-12-2006, 19:03
Now that is a fine idea for flagellants - you could have one of them pouring oil from a barrel, while another one helds a torch ready! :skull:
Yep. I get one good idea every year or so. This one came damn late though. :(

ThousandPlateaus
27-12-2006, 19:26
To be fair, it's a million times better than those dreadful High Elf mages that appeared not so long ago.

Count de Monet
27-12-2006, 19:38
I am de Dwead Wizad Woberts! I have come for your soooooouuuuulllls.

He's wearing a holocaust cloak, right? ;)

squiggoth
27-12-2006, 20:26
To be fair, it's a million times better than those dreadful High Elf mages that appeared not so long ago.

You mean that Mage that was standing on top of a skippy ball whilst being surrounded by some old lady's garden ornaments? :D

Modelled spell effects can work - the limited Chaos Sorcerer that was released a few years ago has fire coming out of his hand, and he looks sweet. It's only when the sculptor gets too enthousiastic that the effect turns from Cool into Crap.
I think the Wizard-on-fire looks quite nice, but it's orange colour scheme works against him. With a more neutral colour scheme the fire would probably look better (altough I've always loved the gaudy Imperial Wizard colour schemes).

zak
27-12-2006, 21:13
I've just got this model and started painting it and it looks better if thre flames are painted a different colour and the paint scheme toned down a little. It really isn't as bad as some models GW have produced in the past.

paspinall
27-12-2006, 23:02
I still dont think he's going to tempt me to buying the box I'll wait a couple of weeks get a few extra knights and a spare cannon by buying bits seperate and save 11 on top too.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
27-12-2006, 23:03
Yeah, when I first saw it my friend and I thought it would have looked better if the flames had been painted blue or some other "magic-y" colo(u)r. The way it is now, he's just burning. Probably from not wearing protection.

vorac
28-12-2006, 00:45
he looks way too cartoony, like something out of dragonballZ

zodgrim
28-12-2006, 01:28
It's the flames that look bad. I really don't know what they were thinking.:confused:

loveless
28-12-2006, 01:34
also, his foot/leg positioning is just silly when compared to his torso and arms...even without the flames, the pose would look ridiculous