PDA

View Full Version : chaos

sphincter man
01-01-2007, 22:40
Hi guys,

I am currently collecting chaos 40k undevided and i really want to get into fantasy.

I know I am going to choose chaos hands down but I dont know what legion to choose.

I also know I'm not going to go for undevided cos they just arent what I'm looking for.

I am stuck on wether to go for nurgle: good defensive, khrone: amazing close combat or tzeentch, which has great magic.

Keeping in mind that I am fighting against my friends who have a lizardmen army and a high elves army.

any help and/or suggestions would be really great guys!!!

vampires are cool!
01-01-2007, 23:15
By legion i assume you mean power. Depends if you want a fluffy army or one that can wipe the floor with Lizzies and HE.
A well balanced army [probably most so] is slannesh. My vampires have a personal vendeta against my best mates chaos because of his rock hard slannesh lord [blade of blood and pendant of slannesh mounted on a titted worm] but also because slannesh are inmmune to phycology. Their magic is good and tacticaly they are the most versitile power to go with.
But wait, i cant be saying this! Vamps wke up, stop bigging up Slannesh! Who are you and what have you done to Vamps?! *Attacks self visiously with mouse mat*

sphincter man
01-01-2007, 23:17
thanks and go to a hospital, PLEASE get some help and thanks FOR the help!!

Oh, and any more help would also be much appreciated

der_lex
01-01-2007, 23:46
I'd say 'pick whatever army appeals to you most', really. Either one of the four armies does well, it just depends on your playing style.

Khorne is very strong in close combat, but at the expense of a magic phase. That', and frenzy is a double-edged sword that experienced opponents will abuse as best as they can, potentially keeping your most dangerous units out of combat by leading them around the battlefield with fast cavalry and the like.

Tzeentch is the other end of the spectrum. More vulnerable to psychology (a major factor in fantasy, just like movement) than other Chaos armies, and the expensive Mark keeps your armies rather small. This is more than compensated by your magic phase, however, which is essentially a replacement shooting phase. When played defensively, Tzeentch is definitely an army to be reckoned with (it's the army I myself mainly play)

Nurgle is an army I have zero experience with, so I can't help you there. It's a converter's dream, though. What's always kept me from starting the army is having to balance an expensive mark with having units that are large enough to benefit from the bonus that mark confers (causing fear)

Slaanesh, my secondary army, is a lot of fun to play. The mark is cheap, so you can have a relatively large army, and a lot of Slaanesh-specific units are really fast, which is an added bonus. Slaaneshi magic is absolutely vicious, and can be a major disruption for your opponent.

So there's the quick run-down. None is stronger than the other so, as I said, just pick the one that appeals to you the most and give it a go! And you can always check the Chaos tactica thread in the tactics section for some more pointers if you need them...

Move Fast Hit Low
01-01-2007, 23:50
have a mix of nurgle and khorne, its just too sweet to pass up!

Catferret
02-01-2007, 01:16
Tzeentch all the way!!! Your wizards have serious fighting power as well. Also, think how great your dice rolls will be if you follow the power of fate!

If you lose games then it must be for some great cosmic purpose beyond mortal understanding...

vampires are cool!
02-01-2007, 01:33
Folly! Khorne is the only way forward foolish mageling, he has the brute force and the determination to slaughter everything in existence! Where is your god now?!

Catferret
02-01-2007, 01:36
Folly! Khorne is the only way forward foolish mageling, he has the brute force and the determination to slaughter everything in existence! Where is your god now?!

At the pub with all the sociable people!;)

Move Fast Hit Low
02-01-2007, 01:56
i think we can all agree, if chaos were a real thing then we would all join up with the god of pleasure

Catferret
02-01-2007, 02:00
But Chaos is real! Just like Santa!

sphincter man
02-01-2007, 11:05
good for u

asrian
02-01-2007, 14:15
I'm going to have to throw my vote toward Slaanesh. To me it is the most versatile army insofar as magic is concerned. Unlike Tzeentch (my other Chaos army) Slaanesh magic is less concerned with direct damage and is more attuned to manipulating and controlling the movement of the enemy which appeals more to me. Couple that with immunity to psychology, the fastest light cavalry in the game (Daemonettes on steeds), and some very evil weapon combos (pendant and blade of blood mentioned above) and you have a wicked Chaos force. That's not including their Magical Standard or their Spawns of Chaos (by far the best of the bunch to me).

No offense intended to the Khorne players here, but I find the Khorne direct approach to be a little too one dimensional for my taste and it gets rather boring after awhile (I've run Khorne and Nurgle in my 40K armies for the past ten years now so opted for Slaanesh and Tzeentch when I went to Fantasy).

Still, all of this is just my opinion. There really isn't a "bad" Chaos army whether it's undivided or one of the gods of Chaos. Choose the army that most appeals to you whether it's because of the storyline, the models, the rules, or a mixture of those. Good luck to you.

FatOlaf
02-01-2007, 14:29
Khorne is the best army for beginners to WFB, line them up and charge, no shooting, no magic, easy. Against lesser opponents your chosen Knights will butcher their armies, against experienced opponents your knights will virtually never see combat. But a good beginner Chaos army.

Nurgle has great fluff, great models, Orrible magic and a rock hard greater demon (10 W) but you really better like GREEN! (also IMO the best Lord model in Chaos)

Slaanesh has sexy army, me love big time. Immune to Psych is an amazing ability and your whole army can have it, combine with the lovely demonettes and some nasty spells, it is a good all round Chaos army.

Tzeentch has the nastiest magic in the game generating huge amounts of power dice, combine with Lords that are good in CC and magic and you have an awesome army, but beware to full make use of the magic you are going to need loads of extra models, this is poss most expensive Chaos army to assemble.

Choose wisely for once your path is chosen your destiny is no longer your own!

sphincter man
02-01-2007, 21:04
well thanks guys for the help, in the end i went for the nurgle because they have SOME magic, not too much, just enough.

Also because they cause FEAR and i like to scare the crap out of my enimy before i kill them.

And of course because all special characters have a great defencive ( I'm playing against a lizardmen army for nurgle god's sake and it's not like they arent going to strike back!)

So, thanks for the advice guys!!