PDA

View Full Version : How to Eldar to from Orbit to the Surface

redbaron998
03-01-2007, 05:09
How do Eldar do this? According to DOW they built gates to Teleport down. But how did the first wave get there and especially how would they do so in a combat drop?

I doubt wave serpents have atmospheric entry capabilities like a thunderhawk

All the ships on FW dont have transport capabilities

Not all planets have warp gates

I was thinking maybe they could open temporary smaller gates similar to the old Ulthwee rules and send in first wave along with bonesigners to build larger gates for tanks and such. OR maybe they have a small ship break in the atmosphere and the WS drop from it.

Griffin
03-01-2007, 05:19
I think they can use either ships or small gates. If i'm not mistaken ships will only be used if something prevents them from opening a gate directly.

IRC Waveserpents do have atmospheric capabilities - but I'll leave this discussion to the Eldar fluff nuts since i'm still new to them.

Lokithwe
03-01-2007, 05:35
Well, in the Dawn of War: Dark Crusade campaign mode, the Eldar forces land in the north pole of the planet in secret and establish their warp gate there. This is probably what they try to do most of the time: infiltrate, establish a hidden beachhead, and spring a full-on assault before the enemy forces are aware of their presence.

The eldar are wise and patient enough that they'd probably only attempt a planetfall/ teleport attack in a very, very, very desperate situation.

Keep in mind, as well, that they eldar are capable of short-range warp jumps - if they can create something like that at a man-portable level, they probably can set up something to make a small warp jump to the planet's surface.

Acolyte
03-01-2007, 05:40
All Eldar grav-tanks are capable of atmospheric travel, IMO. Plus, I'm sure they have other landing craft. They're one of the oldest races in the galaxy, I'm sure they've got some sort of landing craft. It'd be dirt stupid if they didn't.

Elanthanis
03-01-2007, 05:46
Vampire Raiders and other similar landing craft are prevalent.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/vampr.htm

When Imperial forces bring an Eldar army to battle one of the Eldar's most potent threats is their aircraft. The Eldar's unequaled grasp of anti gravitic technology means that their aircraft are faster and more agile than Imperial equivalents. The Vampire Raider is often used for making swift sorties onto a planets surface, capable of travelling at many times the speed of sound, and is capable of defending itself. All the background, history and rules for using the Vampire Raider in games of Warhammer 40,000 can be found in Imperial Armour Update 2006. This is a multi-part resin kit. Master model by Daren Parrwood.

Brother Antonios
03-01-2007, 06:35
In Lord of the Night the Eldar farseer can just open warp portels from their orbiting ships planetside at will. This can also be done ship to ship in space if the ship does not have appropriate shields up.

The farseer and his unit travle in a type of warp bubble (for lack of a better term) which is like a mini-Gellar field. They are imune to the predators of the warp for these short (probably 20-50km) jumps. I imagine the stronger the farseer is, the longer the jump can be because he can hold off the warp for a longer period of time.

Rlyehable
03-01-2007, 11:28
All Eldar and Tau tanks and transports have atmospheric entry capability. That is why they have no firing points, the hulls are sealed against vacuum.

Forbiddenknowledge
03-01-2007, 11:55
Added to the fact that an Eldar falcon is able to fly almost better than an Imperial Lightning/Thunderbolt....

Athmos
03-01-2007, 15:00
Most Eldar tanks can descend from orbit on their own.

And eldars have flyers. they are in Epic for maybe 10 years, and include a troop transport (Vampire raider).

FW made 40k model (and FW Epic models are to be released soon too for Aeronautica Imperialis).

Anyway, eldar mostly travel by Warp Gates, they only rarely come from orbit; warp gates can be large enough to allow a Titan to get through.

Athmos

TheJrade
03-01-2007, 16:10
Eldar Grav Tanks can indeed fly, just not very fast. FW supplements list their top speed as being 420 kph, slightly faster than a contemporary attack helicopter.

The Song of Spears
03-01-2007, 16:10
Keep in mind, as well, that they eldar are capable of short-range warp jumps - if they can create something like that at a man-portable level, they probably can set up something to make a small warp jump to the planet's surface.

DoW as an example... The reason the Eldar get defeated in DoW is that they CANT short jump as far as their ship in orbit. hence why the last mission is to defend their last warp gates that would take them back to the ship in orbit.

but if you think of it technology wise, i am sure they have the tech to do so, its simply means the eldar in DoW and maybe in general don't have such tech available due to short supplies, build time/efforts etc....