PDA

View Full Version : WD Battle Reports

Orcboy_Phil
04-01-2007, 18:38
Just a quick question. When did White Dwarf stop doing proper battle reports? I remember when I first started years ago ever month they had one battle report with a breakdown of all the major events of the turn and a nice little map showing each unit and how they moved. I started buying them I think at issue 179 the one with the Ork Mega Gargant or Impredator Titan on the front and I stopped when third edition came out (stopped playing as well).
When I started reading again I noticed they no longer did 'proper' battle reports mearly combing all the turns together throwing in a few pictures and a sidebar or two. When did this start?

Glorfindel
04-01-2007, 18:56
It's not always like that, even more with than without: the report from the january and december issue (both were close so I just checked those) have a turn based report with nice pictures and a map. Normally the WD has one turnbased battle report with maps etc, but it's not always a WFB battle report. Sometime they add a second smaller report for the WFB fans.

Frecus
04-01-2007, 19:38
To get a moment, I'd guess around 298-301

But what have I to say, I've only had 289 to 313 (by which battle reports had become utter crap save for the further reduction of text I've been hearing about).

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

zak
04-01-2007, 19:46
I would normally agree with you that the reports have got worse since about issue 300, but after issue 325 I have changed my view. This report was far better and reminded me of the days when I used to regularly buy WD. I was very impressed with WD 325 and hope the team keep it going with the battle reports in the future.

Arhalien
04-01-2007, 19:51
To get a moment, I'd guess around 298-301
But what have I to say, I've only had 289 to 313 (by which battle reports had become utter crap save for the further reduction of text I've been hearing about).

the only issues OI have are 321 and 311. I personally didn;t think the 311 batrep was that bad, with good maps, individual turn reports written by the players. I also borrowed from a friend a much older one, with the high elf dark elf batrep afte the dark elf update. That was excellent, as it not only had individual turn reports, but it contained armies done by the players, not the eavy metal stuff we see all the time. I can;t talk about anything earlier than that though.