PDA

View Full Version : Multi-player games

UncleCrazy
07-01-2007, 16:40
Does Anyone know a good way to play a 4 player game (400 pts CP) with out using Teams?

Brotherdraagor
07-01-2007, 16:42
Free for all seems the only other option really. Have a single objective and your four armies scrap over it. Or just scrap anyway. Without teams free for all is the only way.

UncleCrazy
07-01-2007, 16:47
Well what to do about turns? each person takes one or do 2 turns with 2 players sharing a turn?

Brother Lysander
07-01-2007, 16:51
Perhaps dice off each turn, highest roll goes first, lowest last. Could make for some interesting games, and gives everyone a fair chance of getting a vital round of shooting in etc.

Greatoliver
07-01-2007, 16:52
With turns, why don't you have team turns?

i.e. Team 1's turn: All the models that want to move in the Movement Phase etc.

Then it would be Team 2's turn. etc.

About +2 player games, I never really like them. If you get a pairing like Tau and Tyrannids, you get an army that's great at shooting and at CC, making it a very difficult army to overcome. One of the big weaknesses in armies is that they're not as good as some things, and you partially exploit that to beat them.

IMHO.

Edit/ If you meant with all vs. all, I would be pretty stumped and he last person would have a significant disadvantage. I have no idea how you could get around this.

Getifa Ubazza
07-01-2007, 16:56
One of the things we do at my club is roll off for who goes first every turn, in the same way you do in the lord of the rings game. I find this makes the game far more interesting. although i would recomend an objective based game as your best bet for fun and carnage.

harlequin21
07-01-2007, 17:56
My and my mates made a 4 player Capture The Flag game a while back,
Flags in the centre of the table, you pick it up by moving a unit onto it and for every turn you keep the flag you get 50vps extra.
This is a game where i learned about how annoying a Vindicare in a tower really is...

Note: the extra 50vps is per player turn not overall turn, so you can potentially is the flag bearer survives the whole turn gain 200vps extra, although this very rarely happens

EDIT: oh and no teams either it is really a free for all

hiveminion
07-01-2007, 18:46
I played a 4-player battle once, 600 points, free for all. It resulted in one army being annihilated between two others (including mine:evilgrin: ), and the fourth one winning without sustaining a scratch (objective was table centre).

My advice is to make sure that initially two armies fight each other, and the survivors then take on each other. Otherwise it could make for a very dull game for at least one of you...

OR you could use the Sustained Attack special rule...for EVERY unit:eek:

DoctorTom
07-01-2007, 19:52
If you don't do teams, do a free for all. We've done this, and had everyone dice off for terrain, first turn, etc. The person with the highest die gets first choice on when he acts (1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th for a 4 player game), the next highest gets next shoice, etc.

You can still use the main missions.

If 2 or more people have units locked in combat, only have combat during the player turns of those involved.

You'll have to come up with house rules for firing into combat if you don't have anybody involved in the close combat. The last time I played we just allowed the person to target one group in combat, but I didn't care for that during playing (mainly since I was the one always fired at L-) ) The problem there is that you're allowing precision targeting by enemies that your own troops can't get - if you can't pick out enemy troops from your troops, a 3rd person shouldn't be able to distinguish between the two. Because of this I've decided I don't like letting someone be able to preferentially pick out one opponent's models in a close combat. I've been toying with the idea of setting up house rules for using the majority toughness and majority armor rules for resolving firing into combat by 2 separate opponents, and in the case of 2 armies having the same armor just assign wounds based upon the ratio of one unit's numbers compared to the other, with either the shooter assigning any odd hits or just having a diceoff between the two units hit to determine who gets the odd wound.

Karhedron
07-01-2007, 19:55
I have run several 4 player games and there are several tips I might suggest.

Firstly, design your own scenario. The ones in the rulebooks are based on the assumption of only 2 armies. A simple "capture the flag" scenario is a good one.

Secondly, make sure that all armies start at least 24" apart. Any closer and a lot of armies will have the capacity to cripple an opponent before they even get a turn. Variations on this include playing a Dawn mission (ie nightfight on turn 1) or playing Escalation so that no one starts with many units on the board.

Thirdly, allow shooting into a close combat that does not involve your own troops. This makes it harder for CC orientated armies to simply pile into the nearest opponent and spend the game effectively "hiding" shooting in an assault-rich environment. We call this rule "Fire at Will!" :evilgrin:

Chimera
07-01-2007, 20:41
I found the best system for this was a variant on the old Epic turn system. It is a little more complex... but then you want to play a tabletop battle with four sides involved in a fragfest - so I'm guessing that's not going to be an issue.

It helped to solve the problem of the player who took his turn 'last' losing out completely. Particularly if s/he's playing Necrons... Essentially by disposing of the "player turn". It's one big turn and everyone gets a go.

It went something like this:

Movement Phase
D6 rolls to establish turn (initiative) order, then:
Each player moves one unit, in initiative order. Once each player has moved one unit, the sequence starts again. This does give a slight advantage to players with more units, as they can save more powerful or faster units till later. This means that winning the dice roll for initiative is not necessarily a good thing!

Shooting Phase
D6 rolls to establish shooting (initiative) order, then:
In initiave order, each player picks one of hits units and shoots as per the normal shooting rules. Players continue to take turns until all units that wish to shoot, have done so.

If a player shoots into a close combat involving units from two or more opposing armies, casualties are randomised amongst all participants. In the case of blast markers, on the models actually under the template/blast marker are hit. Neither owning player is permitted to move the template/blast marker.

Assault Phase
This is where it can get interesting - there are two ways of approaching this.

D6 rolls to establish assault (initiative) order, then:

Option A:
In initiative order, each player picks one of his units and makes an assault move with it. The combat is not yet resolved! Players continue to make assault moves until all units willing and able to assault have moved. All combats are then resolved in the usual way.

In multiple combats, morale checks are handled differently. A unit only ever has to take a morale check if it has taken more casualties than it inflicted. This can lead to some units disengaging while others fight on.

This option can lead to particularly large and brutal assaults, especially if all four players have a lot of troops in one area of the battlefield (such as the objective!).

Option B:
In initiative order, each player picks one of his units and makes an assault move with it. The combat is then resolved and any break checks are taken. The next player then picks a unit to make an assault with.

This method is less chaotic (and less fun in my opinion) but can lead to much more tactical play. It also makes more powerful CC units more effective, as they are less likely to end up in the middle of a giant brawl.

That's it! Let me know what you think... Just make sure you can all keep track of which units you've moved / fired with!

pwrgmrguard
07-01-2007, 23:45
there was pdf i have from GW about in mission objectives, with each player having a different objective. It would work as it wouldn't just be all out fighting, each player would only be going in a certain direction/area, and each player would only be worrying about a few factors. Or you could have everyone go at the same time, shooting and assault and movemant all at the same time, but i dont know how ell that would work.

135h
08-01-2007, 05:21
This is how my group solved concerns about the last player having a big disadvantage in a free for all (usually involving four players). We use a terrain heavy board with certain starting areas slightly more protected then others and agree that the turn order will be a reversed placement order. That way the last player at least has the advantage of a good starting position they selected, and the heavy terrain makes it unlikely that they will be attacked by every other player right off the bat.

1st post!

spacemonkey
08-01-2007, 05:43
I believe there is still a scenario called Carnage that can be found on the UK GW site that is meant for a 4-player free-for-all type game. As for turn variation you could dice off for each turn as long as their is some stipulation that a person can't have back-to-back turns (i.e. they're the last player to go in Turn 2 but the first player to go in Turn 3).

Groksnag
08-01-2007, 10:55
Usually when I do a 4player game, we set the rule as "kill all enemies, stay alive. good luck. last standing army wins" and then the real fun begins:evilgrin:

what usually happens though, the Orks(me) "suddenly" become the target of every bolter, gauss gun, other guns, and tank on the board.:wtf: i hate it when that happens.

ThorOdensson
08-01-2007, 11:23
Ive played 4 way battles where we allowed shooting into combat splitting hits between the 2 units in combat

golembane
08-01-2007, 12:51
Wasn't there a WD a good time back where BTs, White Scars, Eldar, and World Eaters tore into each other?

Think they had it at 1000 points and turns went in order of strategy rating rolloff. There was one objective as a take and hold in the center of the board and the various people made pacts and broke pacts as the game went on(I seem to recall BTs and WSs having a pact then when the Bloodthrister appeared, the BT players told the WS player that they hold off the thrister while the BTs went for the objective).

I've never been able to play 4 man free for all yet. Only played 3 man free for all and that turned out nasty.