PDA

View Full Version : A guide to Ringwraiths/Nazgul Part2- Tactics (Long!)

WH40KAj
07-01-2007, 17:41
Tactics for using Ringwraiths

Roles of the Ringwraiths:

1. Guiding the troops- On foot Ringwraith is very much purely supporting masses of Orcs, picking on heroes to get them mobbed. The Ringwraith with is very good courage ensures its staying around also. It is likely to have low fate points, average Will and Maximum might.
2. The Magic Zapper- Usually mounted, this Ringwraith tends to work alone, black darting, transfixing the enemy and generally causing havoc. It is also supporting, but is more based on disruption. It is likely to have at-least one Might point, Medium-High Will and Varying Fate depending on the army it faces.
3. The Combat Wraith- The Fell Beast mounted Ringwraith. It uses the brute strength of the fell beast to win combats, but can be prone to being mobbed. This very much does its own thing. It’s likely to have slightly average Will, maximum Might and maximum Fate.
4. Multi-Role Wraith- Usually mounted on a horse as it is cheaper than a fell beast, it mixes supporting and spells to help the army- it may even see combat if need be. It is likely to have at-least one point of Might, Low-Medium Will and at-least one point of Fate. It is likely to be the most expensive of all the Ringwraiths.

Using magic to your advantage:

This really is the easiest way to use the Nazgul. Casting transfix on heroes after you have sapped their will is pretty much the most basic and devastating thing you can do. Even better if you play with Legions of Middle Earth (or LoME for short), and play a Mordor force then transfixing that troll will be so gratifying once your Orcs have clubbed it. If you come up against a Ringwraith in an opposite force, just get the Sap Will in before his does- Easy. Sap Will makes life a lot easier for cast magic to work, if you are going after Heroes I recommend using it.

Compel is interesting in that it can break an enemies rank, clubbing someone when you mob him. Also it can pull an archer/anyone into charge range of your cavalry- many a time have a unit of archer sat back until I compelled one of them and cavalry charged him; good forces can’t shoot through combats to cavalry behind or into the combat, saving cavalry who couldn’t charge from being shot up also. All that because of compel- not bad is it?
Another good thing to do is if you are surrounded by terrain features and there is a bottleneck, should you get priority use compel to drag a large base model into the middle of the bottleneck. This base (usually a cavalry model) cannot move again this turn, is also transfixed and has stopped most of it buddies coming through. This not only allows you to mob the model that was compelled, but allows further shooting at models just behind it, allowing you to organise your force for the coming combats etc. Another useful compel tactic is to charge an opponents basic warrior into one of your large more powerful models.
Drain courage is pretty self-explanatory, use on heroes to lower their courage. This makes it harder for them to go against terrifying enemies and should their force break make them unlikely to stick about. Good when used with Spectres.
The last magic spell I will talk about is Black Dart. You will need at-least two dice to cast this every-time you use it, you may also sometimes have to use some might. This obviously has it downsides, but the strength of the hit is pretty impressive. Best used on basic warriors; or cavalry models I still say it is worth it if you have at-least 12Will. Also the easiest way to take off high defence characters, though your will store Will store is likely to be depleted after that.
Lastly, using a point of Might allows you to Heroic Move, this lets you also cast a magic spell before everyone else- don’t forget that, it will prove invaluable when you need it to be.

Mounted Ringwraiths:

Mounting a Nazgul on a horse or fell beast adds something new to them, in effectiveness and mobility. A Fell Beast in particular adds a more dangerous element, particularly when using Khamul or Witch-King.
Using a horse for a Nazgul, gives a far better movement rate for the short range on the spells the Nazgul have, the horse allows them to operate independently; yet be where you need them rather quickly. With the small cost it takes to mount them on a horse, I prefer it, giving more attacks on the charge to a Nazgul, and should they win due to the knock down rule are likely to wound- though the main combos are best on the fell beast.
Generally, attacking models in combat on a Fell Beast is the best option, even some heroes as they lose combat they get knocked down and this is very painful and generally worth it. I prefer the horse as you can dismount, and in some missions you need to dismount to pick up the items. Tactics below show two particular Nazgul- Khamul & Witch-King

Witch-King/Khamul and a Mount Tactic
The Witch-King has a nice item called a morgul blade, which you will need to use for this tactic. Take the witch-king on a mount and charge into combat. On fell beast that’s 3 attacks (charging) and a decent fight value. You should win the combat; use might if you need to. Declare the morgul blade and take the strength of the Fell Beast you should kill the hero/creature outright, bar any fate saves it may have. It’s worth using most of/ your Might to pull this trick off as it is likely the hero will use all his Might to save all/most of his fate saves, at which point you can either risk it in combat with the wounded hero or dash off quick, then black dart him. Remember this is very much a hit and run, as Witch-King loses will like every other Ringwraith. This technique is harder to pull off on a horse with your Might store intact, but on a worn down character it will still work.

Khamul on a Fell Beast is potentially the best of all Nazgul in combat. Thanks to Essence Leech, he can have fight value of 6, with all the Fell Beast bonuses. This allows Khamul to potentially fight Elven heroes and win. He is better off though against basic warriors, using the Fell Beast strength and attacks and his superior fight value to get some easy kills, thus replenishing his will store in droves. Say he attacks a basic elf warrior with bow. 3 more pass courage checks and attack in combat, with two spearmen backing up. Khamul uses a point of Will to increase his fight value, he rolls (for the sake of the example) a six, knocking down the charged model (and the models in contact get knocked back) but yet has 6 attacks at strength 6. That’s very good for restoring Will and decimating basic infantry. Those two Will given up are definitely worth it.

Legions of Middle Earth Scenario Guide:
Lastly I will run through how I would play the Ringwraiths in the LoME scenarios:
1.Storm The Camp - The best way to go here is to take magic zapper role. Target the heroes; weaken them so your troops don’t have to worry about any heroes breaking through their lines. More than anything you don’t want your force to break, so Zapping near your force is a wise choice. An alternative is Khamul on fell beast. He should be able to handle almost anything in this scenario, use him as a combat master- just have another hero in your force. He should be able to prevent the enemy breaking through your lines, and should they he can stop them in their tracks. If you know your enemy is going to be warrior heavy you could use the combat wraith.
2. Contest Of Champions- In my opinion, the Ringwraiths were made for this scenario. You will want to be Will and Might heavy, and should just black dart as soon as possible. If on fell beast when you hit 7ish Will I recommend combats, just try not to get killed by a hero. A good thing to do is purely black dart until you banish you Wraith, then when Orcs break with their low courage it means a lack of enemies for the enemies’ hero to kill. Sneaky and mean, yes I like it- and it works. Khamul works here too.
3.Ill Met By Moonlight - Any Ringwraith has some good coverage from bows in this scenario, I’d prefer a supporting role of magic, and stopping enemy Heroes. You could also take a fell beast here.
4. Domination- A Ringwraiths aim here is to disrupt the enemies’ plans. I’d say a mix of magical combat Zapper, rather than support is the way to go here, letting you go for objectives with the main portion of your force. A fell beast here would work too, as should Khamul.
5. Meeting Engagement- Due to you needing a hero left, I’d go for a supporting role with heavy magic usage. Keep the army together and paralyse opponents’ heroes.
6. To Kill A King- I’d rather take a supporting Ringwraith here, unless it’s not your main hero, and just mount it on a fell beast and do some damage. Khamul is an excellent all rounder for this scenario.
7. The High Ground- I’d use Compel a lot here, I’d take a magic heavy supporter again here, purely to help me dominate the objective. I’d go against a horse for this one, though the fell beast would help give an advantage.
8. Take And Hold- This one is probably a hard one to use a Nazgul well, either a supporter or if you have a Ringwraith/Khamul on fell beast use that, go for the marker and kill warriors, watch for heroes though. If the Ringwraith appears late, use black dart a fair bit to thin down enemies.
9. To The Death!- I’d say a magic zapper is useful, or standard fell beast to kill warriors. Try to keep your force together all cases.
10. A Clash Of Piquets- You want to be killing the opponents’ forces here, so a fell beast, or magic zapping with black dart should do the trick.
11. Reconnoitre- The main aim here is to hold up the enemies force whilst killing it. So magic Zapping, and combating seem the best choice. Take lots of Will and a Fell Beast
12. Seize The Prize!- There are a few ways of doing this, either taking a horse and getting the prize and passing it back, or supporting your troops and preventing the enemy picking it up. Whichever one you pick is up-to you.

Well thats the end of the guide, any opinions are my own. Permission to use on other sites is granted as long as I'm quoted (Aaron Watson) as creator of the guide. Otherwise, personal usage only please. Same applies to part one.
A big thank you for reading this, please answer the poll and thank you to GW for a great tabletop game.

I will be posting (hopefully) smaller guides over the coming weeks (then a few Tyranid pieces under 40k.)

Thanks again and Over and Out,
WH40kAj

Additional Tactics Originally Missed Out (or Thought Of At A Later Date)

As quoted from Gondorian
Here's one little trick that I have used once but I need to test further at some point. You can use drain courage to reduce the leading hero's courage to say that of a goblin. It can take a while but it tends to work as drain courage works on a two plus, if heroes resist such spells they become vulnerable to transfix, the hero is likely to run away should the force break.
This tactic will not always go smoothly. It relies on the evil player breaking the enemy force first or maintaining control over his broken force before breaking then enemy. You should ideally limit the effectiveness of the enemy hero eg. target is aragorn so send one orc into him a turn, shield in every fight to decrease chance of successful heroic action and concentrate on wiping out the warriors or killing the weaker heroes such as normal captains. If the opponent uses his will to resist then transfix away and mob with orcs.

Garoth
08-01-2007, 00:52
Very nice articles overall. Even though I use Ringwraiths a lot, combining WK's Morgul Blade with Fellbeast never crossed my mind. I'll have remember that trick in the future.

One thing that I noticed. You mentionded (twice) that Ringwraith of Fellbeast has 4 attacks when it charges. This is not true, it has 3 attacks when it charges (and 2 if it gets charged). But that does not have much impact on the tactics you explained.

WH40KAj
08-01-2007, 11:07
One thing that I noticed. You mentionded (twice) that Ringwraith of Fellbeast has 4 attacks when it charges. This is not true, it has 3 attacks when it charges (and 2 if it gets charged). But that does not have much impact on the tactics you explained.

Ah so you are correct, thank you. I will edit the guide now. I'm after any negative feedback here too, or anything I've missed out as anyway to improve it is always a good criticism

Over and Out,
WH40KAj

Voronwe[MQ]
08-01-2007, 11:18
Very useful, especially since my brother and a friend of mine often use Nazgûls against my yet small dwarf force (and soon also goblins); it gives a better understanding of their battlefield roles and how to negate them to the best advantage.

Voronwe

Catferret
08-01-2007, 11:20
Thanks for posting these articles. You have actually swung me on Khamul. I play Easterlings and was totally against using him before. I thought he was far too expensive and Wraiths shouldn't do combat. Now, however, I shall be converting a Fellbeast version of him and include him in my 1000pt force I plan to expand to.

Palatine Katinka
08-01-2007, 13:29
On the matter of Fellbeasts, if you charge and are then counter-charged by infantry, ALL the infantry get knocked down if you win not just the one you charged. As a monstrous mount, normal cavalry count as foot-troops in this example. The only way for your opponent not to be knocked down is to counter charge with a monstrous mount or use Strength 6 troops (or win :p).

Also the "6 Attacks" is a little misleading, it is still 3 Attacks, but you roll to wound twice for each Attack. My point is, you can still only kill 3, not 6, models.

Over-all this is a good guide to using the Ringwraiths. Just felt a couple of things needed clarified. The tactics themselves are grand. A few I'll have to watch for my opponents trying!

WH40KAj
08-01-2007, 13:58
On the matter of Fellbeasts, if you charge and are then counter-charged by infantry, ALL the infantry get knocked down if you win not just the one you charged. As a monstrous mount, normal cavalry count as foot-troops in this example. The only way for your opponent not to be knocked down is to counter charge with a monstrous mount or use Strength 6 troops (or win :p).

---------------------------------------------
Okay then fine.

Also the "6 Attacks" is a little misleading, it is still 3 Attacks, but you roll to wound twice for each Attack. My point is, you can still only kill 3, not 6, models.
-------------------------------------
Ah yes, thank you! Though it is effectively getting 6 attacks (2 on each knocked down model), you can only kill 3 models. Though this slows down the killing it still helps with tactics.

Over-all this is a good guide to using the Ringwraiths. Just felt a couple of things needed clarified. The tactics themselves are grand. A few I'll have to watch for my opponents trying!
----------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, I appreciate the clairfications too!

Palatine Katinka
08-01-2007, 14:52
Cheers. Glad to have helped. Was a little worried that you might have thought I was being picky.

As an aside, watch out for Arwen and Elrond, Nature's Wrath will knock the Ringwraith and his Fellbeast to the ground. Bye bye Fellbeast unless you spend precious Will to stop them. Arwen isn't that much of a problem actually, even a Ringwraith should be able to beat her up!

WH40KAj
08-01-2007, 15:02
Was a little worried that you might have thought I was being picky.

Nah getting the rules right is important. And yeah that move can be a pain, but I doubt it anything to worry about.

Oberon
08-01-2007, 21:29
I'm really not sure you can compel a good model to _charge_ another good model... To b2b sure, but not to charge. You can compel-charge good model to evil model (playing evil yourself) but... Last three years, never noticed that possibility. I'd like a quote from the book. Otherwise a nice writeup. :)

WH40KAj
08-01-2007, 21:38
I'm really not sure you can compel a good model to _charge_ another good model... To b2b sure, but not to charge. You can compel-charge good model to evil model (playing evil yourself) but... Last three years, never noticed that possibility. I'd like a quote from the book. Otherwise a nice writeup. :)

----------------------------------
Another oops by me, edited again! Sorry!

fhelvie
09-01-2007, 20:21
Great RW article/s! Very informative, thanks!