PDA

View Full Version : [Epic] A couple Epic games; first impressions

Rowenstin
13-01-2007, 09:47
I convinced a friend, the guy who I play most 40k games to try Epic Armageddon. After a small, practice game with a couple formations mostly to explain the rules we started with small 2000 point armies: Imperial guard (my Valhallans, using Steel legion rules) Vs an army of Tau counters made printing 40k pics reduced to the right scale. We used only units you can find in a 40k game, to not complicate the game too much, except a couple baneblades (because it was difficult to round the army without them and as war machines go, these are the easiest to play)

We got pleasantly surprised as how it felt and played. The first game we played without scenery of any kind, and as you can guess the imperial guard crushed the Tau. IG armoured platoon’s firepower is scary and Leman Russes are extremely resilient; once they destroyed the hammerhead contingent and neutralized the fire warrior’s cadre that had the Broadsides the Tau had almost no way to deal with them and so they rampaged through the battlefield with impunity.

The Tau however managed to destroy a whole infantry platoon with heavy support in a single turn by approaching them with Stealth suits (who teleported that turn), a Crisis team and a Pathfinder contingent, and then using the Shas’el’s Coordinated fire ability to surround, shoot and break them: since they couldn’t Withdraw far enough, they were totally destroyed –the Commissar, who could have lived thanks to the Fearless ability, died in the firestorm the platoon had to endure-

Despite this temporal victory, and the destruction of a Baneblade, by the third turn the IG had accomplished the goals Take and hold and Break their spirit, so they won convincingly.

After the first game we agreed that a)The Tau army needed some more antitank and b)Mobility = better than good, so we printed Swordfish counters to beef up the Hammerhead contingent, a couple more Broadsides teams, some more Drones, used some hills and improvised a fortification and a forest with what we had at hand.

The second game was great, since we had learned a couple things from the first one. This time the Tau played very Eldar like, with only one slow contingent that would be used as “anvil” (the firewarriors with the broadsides, protected by a lot of drones) and fully using the Tau jetpacks and skimmer speed to avoid direct confrontations and pile up on the IG formations. This time the IG took several hits before they could answer, but as soon he managed to put his key formations in position he dominated the center of the battefield and started to really hurt the Tau. This time the Tau won, after a couple daring moves: and assault against what was left of the armoured company and a double move with the Hammerheads that finally drove away the Basilisk formation and controlled the objective in the IG’s table edge, thus getting the They shall not pass and Blitzkrieg goals.

After these couple games we ended liking the game a lot: it felt much more dynamic and flowing and than 40k, partially thanks to the formation's increased mobility. Despite it’s simplicity, the options open to formations were much more varied, and frequently we spent more time deciding what formation to activate and what to do with it than actually rolling the dice, not to mention that it took some time to actually realize how important were blast markers, used to how 40k squads can be shot once and again and not lose any actual firepower because the guy with the lascannon is still alive.. The only downside it that it felt awkward once when two formations got involved in a firefight, only three units from each formation could actually shoot, and nonetheless the losing formation broke and had to withdraw. We’re likely to house rule that (perhaps ruling that in an assault a formation can only autobreak if at least 1/3rd or half the formation’s units are actually involved in the assault) Otherwise, we liked the rules a lot, and we’re trying to convince some other players at our local store to try them too. The worst problem is the language barrier, since the rules are only available in English, but we’ll see. I’ll try to do a battle report if or when we play again.

Anyway, it’s a great game, and it’s a shame it doesn’t get more support. I’d like to hear from other Epic players, the strategies they use and what they think about Epic.

CyberShadow
13-01-2007, 11:18
Good to hear that you enjoyed the game, and even better to hear about another Epic Tau player! The problem of armour and mobility in the Tau force was something that the Armoured Hunter group is designed to address specifically. Continued development of the EA Tau list goes on at EpiComms, here:

http://www.tacticalwargames.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=23

Epic is a great game, and players are holding their breath for Chaos to join the official ranks next month.

Welcome to Epic Armageddon.

C/S - EA Tau Army Champion

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
13-01-2007, 13:27
Its nice to hear some positive words for Epic. It is by far my favourite game, if only their were official infantry for ALL armies.

Bombot
13-01-2007, 14:40
Cool that you like it. Your comments, about the dynamism, suppression, etc. are pretty spot on. Seeing as I use Marines a lot of the time suppression doesn’t have a big effect but in my last game I had formations firing at my opponent’s Ork Big Gunz, and although little damage was done, the suppression did a great job in keeping the Orks’ heads down, so my Predators could advance into the open. It’s things like that that make the game come alive.

Mind you, I lost that game horribly!

orangesm
13-01-2007, 14:49
Great to see some more Epic players. To introduce people to the rules, you may want to use the Training missions.

Chaos and Evil
13-01-2007, 18:19
Epic is without a doubt my favourite 40k-universe game... it's just like 40K, except with tactics! :D

Hena
13-01-2007, 18:51
For more tactics and battles in general, I'd suggest going into tactical wargames (Cybershadow posted the link) and searching for titles with 'batrep' on them (on all epic armageddon related forums). This should bring up quite a lot of battle reports which have army compositions and other stuff.

But glad that you like the game and do convert more players to Epic: Armageddon :D. I like this game more than others from GW and have got myself hooked to 6mm as the games are much more enjoyable on this scale (more troops on table).

Rowenstin
14-01-2007, 06:42
Thank you all for the comments! I'm following the links right now.

The problem of armour and mobility in the Tau force was something that the Armoured Hunter group is designed to address specifically

Sorry for the confusion: I meant the list I had on the table the first game lacked mobility and AT, not that it was a fault of the Tau army. Over here, army and list have the opposite meaning of what it has in other countries, i'm starting to realize.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
14-01-2007, 12:28
it's just like 40K, except with tactics! :D

And super huge armies! what other game makes it possible to field things like whole Chapters of marines and Titan Legions :D

Chaos and Evil
14-01-2007, 13:04
And super huge armies! what other game makes it possible to field things like whole Chapters of marines and Titan Legions :D

Well it's possible in 40k, and large-scale battle tactics can even come into play at that point (That's the point where the game gets so large that tactics, rather than army list composition, will win the day).

For 40k, I'd say the points values needed for that to happen are about 8-10k per side. :D

For Epic, even a 500pt skirmish will need careful manuever and positioning to win the day (An average sized Epic game is circa-3000pts generally).

Don't get me wrong, 40k is a fun game, but you don't play it for the tactical challenge, you play it to throw dice and have a laugh.

Epic is my favourite game because it incorporates both aspects (Tactics & Mass carnage at the same time!).

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
14-01-2007, 13:28
ok, its possible but damn expensive and a more rare sight :P

Hena
14-01-2007, 14:07
Well it's possible in 40k, and large-scale battle tactics can even come into play at that point (That's the point where the game gets so large that tactics, rather than army list composition, will win the day).

For 40k, I'd say the points values needed for that to happen are about 8-10k per side. :D

I have about 140 marines which equates to Ultramarines 3rd company and some supplementary troops. In addition I have about 10 tanks and several dreads and smaller vehicles (land speeders, bikes etc). All this resolves to around 7000 points. So to field an entire chapter of marines 8-10k doesn't get you very far.

Besides when fielding armies the size of 10k per side, the mechanics are starting to break are probably starting to break (as one side can give out too much punishment in one turn). So I agree with you that for larger battles, stick with epic :D.

Dwarf Supreme
16-01-2007, 18:22
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed and it's good to see new Epic players. Epic has been my favorite GW game for a long time.

nealhunt
17-01-2007, 13:06
Rowenstein: I'll echo everyone else and say I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think you'll find that the assault issues make more sense as you play it a few more times.

As far as language barrier, Black Legion is from Germany and posts on both the SG boards and Tactical Command. He can probably help with any translation or interpretation that you need.

Chaos and Evil
17-01-2007, 13:10
lol, I tole 'ya that the Assault resolution rules are unnatural. :D

'Harbish'

That said Epic's still the best GW game. :)

BlackLegion
18-01-2007, 17:22
@Rowenstin: Which language du you speak? If german then the the guys on http://www.epic-battles.de will help you gladly :D

Rowenstin
20-01-2007, 22:49
I'm Spanish. I don't have any problem reading English. Other find bothersome learning some rules written in spanish, so imagine getting them in English.

Dwarf Supreme
22-01-2007, 19:38
I know there are a few Spanish members at Tactical Command.