PDA

View Full Version : Any ork flight commanderz out there?

CELS
28-01-2007, 20:36
So chaos and Imperial Navy both have reasonably good aircraft, and the Eldar ones appear to be a real pain in the butt... what about the orks? I'm not really a big fan of their models, but if they're fun to play, I might buy a few of them, just for giggles. They'd have to be damned more competitive than the Ork BFG fleet though. It would be nice to win a battle without having to crash into my enemy to accomplish that :)

mattjgilbert
28-01-2007, 20:48
Well Imperial, Eldar and Chaos have already been chosen by other club members so I opted for Orks :)

Ordered 3 packs of fighters and 2 packs of fighter bombers this very afternoon :)

Playing Ork(c)s in any system ensures your don't take it too seriously :D

jazzdude78
28-01-2007, 21:18
My biggest beef with them in AI is they only have 2 craft meaning variety is gone (makes paintjobs more important)
I really want some expansion beta rules or something to tide over

mattjgilbert
28-01-2007, 21:40
Anyone know how they plan to expand the game? WIll it be on a race-by-race basis or will there be expansion/campaign packs which cover new options for all the races?

Yes it's only two craft atm (well, plus grot-bombs :D) but I'm looking forward to seeing what else is coming. Only having two now means you get to learn them in detail too.

Gensuke626
28-01-2007, 22:32
If my friends and I start playing IA, I'm probably going to go Orks.

Skarfangs Sky Raiderz, Come Fight da unfriendly Skiez

Mouldsta
28-01-2007, 22:40
I have an ork wing - I play ork's in epic, so I already own 8 FW fighta's, and about 14 flak wagons so I'm set to go. The main problem I've found with them so far (apart from lack of any hard hitting guns - it's all short range all the time) is that with thrust 1 they have trouble slowing down and speeding up, and min speed 3 means the enemy can break and you have to fly straight past. The other potential problem I can see is that fighta-bombers are classed as fighters rather than bombers, which means that they can't do bombing runs (i.e. rather than being able to bomb from altitude 4, hitting on a 4+, and getting bomb creep, they instead have to be at altitude 1 and only hit on a 5+. The other factor is that bombs are rear arc while the guns are front, so you can't strafe a target with guns and bombs at the same time). Oh and pilot skills are on a 5+ for orks, so don't expect to be doing interesting manouvers, or ejecting safely.

Basically then they essentially have no real long range firepower, can't bomb properly, get out manouvered by wings with better thrust, can't pull off flashy tricks, and not many of them come back alive. Everything you'd expect of orks really.

To be fair it's not all doom and gloom, while it's true that your planes are fairly inept at doing most things, you can have bucket loads of them and they all have lots of ammo, and can turn their hand to most things (they dog fight adequately, they can attack ground adequately etc). Because you have lots of them, you can basically spam the air untill someone is in your front arc at short range, and then the orks excell. Especially if you shout WAAAGHHH while rolling the dice.

I just wish they'd included the landa, then I could have used my nice green "Plunderbyrd II" GW model.

mattjgilbert
28-01-2007, 22:51
Basically then they essentially have no real long range firepower, can't bomb properly, get out manouvered by wings with better thrust, can't pull off flashy tricks, and not many of them come back alive. Everything you'd expect of orks really.Yep - sounds perfect to me :D

Because you have lots of them, you can basically spam the airha ha ha - like it.

I'm really looking forward to spamming the air and blasting merrily away at short range.

Gensuke626
28-01-2007, 23:25
hmm...sounds like I'm buying two squadrons...One Ork and One Eldar...I love my little orkses to deff, but I also kinda want some boys who can fly circles around EVERYONE. Y'know?

Hellebore
29-01-2007, 02:28
hmm...sounds like I'm buying two squadrons...One Ork and One Eldar...I love my little orkses to deff, but I also kinda want some boys who can fly circles around EVERYONE. Y'know?

AND look stylish whilst doing it:cool:

Hellebore

grave digger
29-01-2007, 04:14
I'm currently putting together my Orks as we speak. True, I'll be using GW Ork flyers to start wtih by I will pick up FW ones if the game takes off in my area.

I play Orks in 40K and did in Epic (back when Epic had square bases) so I have to have a force for AI.

Diggs

mageboltrat
29-01-2007, 04:32
Haven't lost a game yet with my Orks. Here's a few pointers.

Don't bother with additional loads, unless it's bombs for ground attack missions, numbers are really important to an ork player.

You have to get right up on the enemy, if you do always sustained fire.

The most usefull maneuvers are 2 and 6 they allow you to change altitude and turn giving you a bigger potential kill zone when you come to move the orks.

PAINT THEM BLUE AND SHOUT DAKKA DAKKA LOTS... with a 5 or 6 to hit and 5+ to hurt them most the time you will need some luck

Don't forget about Yo-yoing, with a thrust of 1 being to drop an extra 2 inches off your movement is really usefull when lining up shots.

When ground attacking try to place your plane between 2 targets with your move. Remember you can target different buildings/tanks with the front and rear arks. this can allow you to get up to 12 shots at a target in front of you and 6 bombs to the rear damaging on 2+.

Mouldsta
29-01-2007, 21:38
Don't bother with additional loads.

Eeek ork heresy; ork's not taking extra weapons makes my brain melt - it's just not orky.

Duckman
29-01-2007, 22:09
well if you take extra loads you won't be able to feaild as many figtas

grave digger
29-01-2007, 23:46
To get an extra fighta you would have to skimp on 7 Fightas. Not sure if that would be a common occurance. Perhaps in a really big game this would be necessary.

Diggs

Gen.Steiner
30-01-2007, 01:03
AND look stylish whilst doing it

The only stylish pilots are those of the Navy, xenos scum!

*ahem*

That aside, I'm planning on getting a bucket-load of the cute little GW Ork Fightas :D because I like 'em and I want a change from lo-vis greys. :)

Iracundus
30-01-2007, 01:31
Use sustained burst whenever you can obviously. Fits with Orks and you might as well use up that ammo before the plane gets shot down. At close range, that's a 12 dice attack with those guns.

mageboltrat
30-01-2007, 01:46
To get an extra fighta you would have to skimp on 7 Fightas. Not sure if that would be a common occurance. Perhaps in a really big game this would be necessary.

Diggs

or 2 and a bit fighta-bombaz.

Ravens Claw
30-01-2007, 19:59
Orks Rocks
I have aircraft for Imperials (my favourites) Eldar and Orks...my first game pitted two T-bolts up against 2 fightas. The thunderbuckets won a decisive victory by turn 6 having blasted the fightas out of the sky with lascannon at extreme close range (and on their tails) but man! those Orks up close and personal with all those fire dice make swiss cheese out of anything...

A lot of fun to use, not as manoeuvreable as Imperials but deadly if you can get em at close range.

CaptainSenioris
01-02-2007, 12:52
I've got an ork squadron. Anyone willing to call an ace 'Black Barun' can't be bad.

blasted the fightas out of the sky with lascannon at extreme close range

How'd you manage that, lascannons only work at medium and long range?

CyberShadow
01-02-2007, 16:47
Slowly (read, really slowly) building up 'Da Big Max'!

cookiescrumble
03-02-2007, 20:45
I've ordered my Ork fleet today alongside the rulebook.