PDA

View Full Version : First game of Epic and some noob questions

CELS
01-02-2007, 14:29
Just played my first game of Epic yesterday, and it was great. Just 1000 points a side. I played IG, fielding an armoured company and a storm trooper platoon, and my opponent played Tau, fielding a Firewarrior cadre, a Battlesuit cadre and a Hammerhead contingent. We really didn't give a hoot about objectives, as we just wanted to try out the rules a bit. I "won" the game, but it wasn't really a fair game since we didn't know the rules very well and kept forgetting things. I did learn two things though;
1) Hammerheads are dangerous in urban zones where they can pop up and fire at you and then descend back out of sight at their convencience. (I suppose overwatch is the way to go)
2) Leman Russ tanks are awesome. Anyone complaining about why Leman Russ tanks are so primitive and sucky in the Background forum should play a game of Epic. Awesome firepower combined with extremely tough armour... mm...

Now, I do have a couple of questions that came up.

First, how exactly does transportation work? I mean, is it possible for a transport unit to double, using one move to get into basecontact with its troops so they can embark, then use another move to transport and disembark, and then finally have both the APC and the infantry fire after they've disembarked?

Second, what happens with remaining blast markers after you've rallied? Do the blast markers 'stick' to the unit, even if it moves 60 cm's ahead? I'm just so used to BFG where you can drive away from your blast markers.

Thanks for your help

StugMeister
01-02-2007, 15:34
Blast Marks stay with the formation - its to show how suppressed a unit is, not how much damage has been done to the surrounding terrain.

Glad you liked it sir - its a GREAT game!

Hena
01-02-2007, 18:12
Transports. You can pick up or disembark once during a single move. So on double you can first pick the troops with first move then disembark them on second. And after that all can fire.

And blast markers stick with the formation.

Welcome aboard the Epic: Armageddon :D.

Jambo
01-02-2007, 18:38
Its important to note that the act of embarking or disembarking doesn't affect the movement of the transporting unit, they simply need to move over the base of intrantry they want to embark at some point during their move. So to answer your question directly, yes, a formation including tranports (war machines work a little differently IIRC) can use a double move action to move and embark troops, then move and disembark said troops, and lastly all units (troops and transports) can fire with a -1 to hit modifier for choosing a double action.

After rallying a formation gets rid of half its blast markers (plus any bonuses like leader) and that the remaining blast markers stay with the unit (to represent morale) but another successful rally or regroup action can bring that number down further as the game goes on.

Epic is a great game and as you increase the number of points that you play it'll become clear that the armies in epic play in a manner that is closer to the background than any of the races in 40k. For instance space marines really are a surgical strike force which has some durability, Eldar are a strike force that is fragile, Orks are a huge horde which is really hard to break, Guard excell at putting out tonnes of firepower, I've not had too much experience with the other races but they also appear very similar to their background too.

CELS
01-02-2007, 20:58
I think what I liked most about the Epic rules is that they're very simple and fast compared to other systems. You have few units, they tend to have the same armament (unlike 40k where a single squad can have 6-7 different weapons) and the actions of units are resolved very fast. Of course, we didn't get around to trying assaults, so that is probably a bit more complex. Overall though, it seemed like a very action-packed game system. Except for warmachines, you don't need to keep track of damage, critical hits, etc.

Thanks for answering my noob questions. It stands to reason, then, that I could use the 'Engage' order and embark, transport, disembark and fire with a squad of Space Marines with Rhino transport, without penalty. The Rhino would move maximum 20 cms, and the Space Marines could finish their move 25 cms from where they started their action. Correct?

Chaos and Evil
01-02-2007, 21:34
You may either disembark or embark ONCE per move.

So if you Advance:

- Embark then move once (Rhinos move 30cm total)

If you Double:

- Embark then move once, then move once and Disembark (Rhinos move 60cm total)

If you Triple:

- Embark, then move once, then move once, then move once and Disembark (Rhinos move 90cm total)

An Engage is only a single move, so only a single Embarkation or Disembarkation may take place.

So:

- Move once, Disembark, everyone FireFights. :)

CELS
02-02-2007, 00:57
Brilliant, thank you!

Chaos and Evil
02-02-2007, 10:04
No problemo.

Just remember, if you want the extra Engagement speed provided by a vehicle, you need to be onboard that vehicle at the start of the Engagement. :)

orangesm
02-02-2007, 11:40
Good to see you got a game in and welcome to the fold. Everyone else has gotten your questions. I would expect nothing less from Hena and Chaos and Evil.

Jambo
02-02-2007, 11:43
No problemo.

Just remember, if you want the extra Engagement speed provided by a vehicle, you need to be onboard that vehicle at the start of the Engagement. :)

And be aware that the extra distance you can use to engage comes with the extra risk that leaving infantry inside their transports does ie. it makes them one very appealing target, as destroying the tank means that the embarked infantry also need to make a save. If your opponent has any indirect fire or aircraft and has a chance of winning the initiative for the next turn then it can be pretty easy to destroy an embarked formation.

Blackrabbit33
16-02-2007, 14:13
Blast Marks stay with the formation - its to show how suppressed a unit is, not how much damage has been done to the surrounding terrain.

Glad you liked it sir - its a GREAT game!

yes they stay dont they stug.many atime my poor orks have got wasted due to the volume of blastmarks