PDA

View Full Version : Adeptus Titanicus/Space Marine Rules

ducki3x
16-02-2007, 05:34
(Warning - nostalgic rambling to follow)

Wow, now this is a blast from my past. I'm in the middle of moving, and am finally getting around to culling through some boxes I haven't opened since I moved in with my (then) girlfriend (now wife of 3 years). There, mixed in with a bunch of paperbacks and college notes, is a 3 ring binder that contains the rules from the original Adeptus Titanicus and Space Marine boxed sets, along with the Codex Titanicus expansion set.

This takes me back to being 13 and living in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere in Washington state. Me and three other guys were the only people within 60 miles who had even heard of Games Workshop - we had no way of getting figures unless we could make it to Seattle (out of the question without the help of a parent) or could get the father of a friend to order some minis for his bookshop (in which case we were basically committed to buying the entire shipment).

I remember pawing through White Dwarfs and reading about Titanicus (which was already out) and Space Marine (coming soon), and realizing that there was a slight chance that Space Marine would hit the streets in the UK while my family was there on vacation. I saved every last dollar I had for just this possibility.

When we were in London, I swung by the Oxford Street store almost every day, until finally, 2 days before we were due to leave, the first shipment of Space Marine boxes arrived (I picked up Titanicus, too). It was a pain to carry it all back home (and probably unnecessary and overly expensive, as I imagine if I had been just a little patient, I could have gotten it in the US for the same cost, less the hassle of packing it home), but it was exciting to return to my gaming friends the conquering (nerd) hero.

I remember trading away all my minis after college to a roommate in exchange for a discount on the rent, but had forgotten until tonight that I had refused to trade away the rules out of a sense of nostalgia. I'm glad that I didn't, 'cause I'm going to have a lot of fun cracking open a beer and reading through these old rules.

(end nostalgic rant - return to your normal programming)

Dwarf Supreme
16-02-2007, 14:43
Nothing like a trip down Memory Lane. :cool: I fondly remember those days, too, when Adeptus Titanicus was brand new and Space Marine would be released soon. And then there was the excitement of receiving the latest issue of White Dwarf to see all the new minis! Ah yes, those were wonderful days. I just wish I could have afforded to buy more minis back then. It's too bad you traded yours away. To this day, Epic remains my favorite tabletop wargame.

Leftenant Gashrog
17-02-2007, 05:34
Nothing like a trip down Memory Lane. :cool:

Quoted for Truth!

Just over a year ago i was all set to buy a new computer ~ had the money all set, then i finally overcame my social phobia induced fear of using eBay.. and promptly blew my computer budget on out of print games :rolleyes: #1 on my list of priorities: Space Marine 1st edition :D i actually managed to pick up a complete near-mint set for only 1 more than the RRP was.. the infantry had been based but the banner stickers were still on their sheet!

it certainly brings back the memories of ones youth!

i managed to pick up a copy of Adeptus Titanicus aswell, (which alas i never saw a copy of when i was younger ~ i discovered GW only a few months before SM2e came out, by which time SM1e was still around, but AT was nowhere to be seen) but i still havent summoned up the courage to remove the titans from their sprues so i can play it..

PS: they SO should have left EPIC in the Horus Heresy! (at least as default ~ it would be nice to get plastic Tau tho)