PDA

View Full Version : Getting back to Epic

Zingraff
02-03-2007, 19:30
Greetings fellow Warseers!

For some time now, I've been playing with idea of getting back to Epic. I gave the game a try a few years ago when Epic Armageddon was launched, collected a few models, but ended up abandoning the system as I found myself unable to recruit any of my friends. This time I plan to collect two armies, to give my opponent an army to field against me, and I've considered Siegemasters and Feral Orks. One has to be Guard, and Orks I believe will make a great counterpart. Also, one of my friends has expressed an interest in the Squiggoths, which I also like.

This brings me to the purpose of this post; I would greatly appreciate if you could help me assemble two simple army lists for each Siegemasters and Feral Orks, at relatively low point costs, armies that I can later expand upon. Armies that would be somewhat easy to play, but would also play well against each other.

Do you think I ought to consider armies that are, if possible, less complex? I would like my armies to be Guard and Orks, but would I be better off with the standard versions?

Also, is there any real difference between the infantry models for Armageddon Guard and Baran Guard? I've noticed that on some pictures the Siegemaster infantry appears to carry backpacks, which I really like.

Chaos and Evil
02-03-2007, 19:36
I'd be tempted to say that standard Guard would be a better choice for 'hey, look at this!' type games.

Siegemasters, although an interesting army, are very much based on hiding in trenches for most of the game hitting the enemy with artillery... little manuever opertinities for the most part.

Standard Imperial Guard also have a bonus in that they're allowed the use of Leman Russ tanks and Titans, both very iconic elements that are perfect eye-grabbers in demo-games.

Feral Orks on the other hand are also very flavourful, but are easier to approach from a Newbies' perspective... Orkz iz Orkz! :D

Blackrabbit33
02-03-2007, 19:40
seigemaster are an awsome army but i play vs them often with normal orks and have a tough time .

so maybe feral orks and a space marine force alittle easier on the pocket cash as well.

EPIC ROCKS welcome back

Zingraff
02-03-2007, 20:13
Thank you both for your more or less instant replies.

I kind of prefer Guard over Marines, I've played heroic scale Guard since '98 or so. I also happen to have loads of unpainted Epic Guard material laying around somewhere, so it's not much of an investment to me. Ebay Autocannon teams sort of got expensive, but that's almost three years ago now. I believe I need to replace a few models, as I want to begin afresh with a new scheme. And some of my FW models proved brittle and needs to be replaced somehow.

But overall, I mostly need to purchase Orks.

I like the Siegemaster tanks. Also the Siegemasters would provide me with the DKoK I will never be able to obtain for 40k. Maybe I should start with regular Guard, then move onto Siegemasters reusing most of the models.

Blackrabbit33
02-03-2007, 20:46
yes the seigemasters tanks are very cool.

if the bane of my orks lives lol

orangesm
02-03-2007, 21:04
Standard Guard and normal Orks. There is some work being done on what is initially needed to play decent size but not full size games (2k vs 2.7k to 3k) not using Aircraft or War Engines initially (the last third of the army!). I have to work on the article for Overwatch!

Karhedron
02-03-2007, 21:46
so maybe feral orks and a space marine force alittle easier on the pocket cash as well.
Actually I find that Guard are an easier army to play in Epic. Unlike 40K where Marines are an excellent beginners army, Marines in Epic require a certain amount of finesse. Limited firepower and small unit sizes make them more challenging to master than IG (who can do quite well sitting back and bombarding the enemy).

nealhunt
05-03-2007, 15:33
I would recommend going with the basic IG and Ork lists for beginner lists. They are both straightforward and generally recognized as the two best lists with respect to game balance. Siege IG and Ferals are more specialized.

Many of the minis would be interchangeable for a future Siege IG or Feral Ork force.